• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russians parade in blackface ahead of Cameroon-Germany match

PSqueak

Banned
Sure. Only Mexico gets fined for such a behaviour /s

But i mean, think about it, mexico gets [rightfully] fined for that slight homophobic display (even tho it's used in non homophobic context, it's still homophobic), yet Russia gets the world cup when rampant homophobia is part of their every day life?

You gotta admit there is a huge disconnect of values there.

azyless

But i mean, think about it, mexico gets [rightfully] fined for that slight homophobic display (even tho it's used in non homophobic context, it's still homphobic), yet Russia gets the world cup when rampant homophobia is part of their every day life?

The only value FIFA cares about is money. Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022 are the icing on the corruption cake.

But i mean, think about it, mexico gets [rightfully] fined for that slight homophobic display (even tho it's used in non homophobic context, it's still homophobic), yet Russia gets the world cup when rampant homophobia is part of their every day life?

You can go to jail for being gay in Qatar and they also got a World Cup, FIFA doesnt care.

Markoman

Culture, meign, no need to be offended.

The thing is...the Netherlands has so many tolerant and intelligent people and no one has adressed this yet? Like "Sorry my majesty, it's 2017 maybe we should do something about the depiction of slavery on your coach". God, paintbrush some tulips or 18th century naval battle scenario onto it, but this is wrong for so many reasons.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
BGORUO7.png

That shit's crazy, how in the wiki page of the golden coach there's not one mention of how bad those paintings are.

Nepenthe

Do...do people think African slaves were an American-only import? Hell, do they think white supremacy is still unique to the US? I mean, FFS we had a thread where the Nazis took their lessons on racial division from us. Now we have the Internet indoctrinating white people everywhere into thinking facism is cool.

Why are we giving Russia-- RUSSIA-- the benefit of the doubt?

azyless

BGORUO7.png

That shit's crazy, how in the wiki page of the golden coach there's not one mention of how bad those paintings are.
There is on the dutch version I think. But yeah, I was expecting this to have a big "Controversies" tab or something and there's like... one line about a dude that's been trying to change the paintings (with no success).

Skilletor

Do...do people think African slaves were an American-only import? Hell, do they think white supremacy is still unique to the US? I mean, FFS we had a thread where the Nazis took their lessons on racial division from us. Now we have the Internet indoctrinating white people everywhere into thinking facism is cool.

People trying to say that blackface and bananas aren't racist.

I mean, I GET blackface, even if I don't agree AT ALL with the logic. I get that people defend it.

But both?

Come on, dawg.

Ovid

I thought Ray Wonder was trolling. Then I kept reading he is dead serious.

What's wrong with you? We're living in a day and age where there is no excuse not to educate yourself on what's offensive (in this case racist).

Ray Wonder

I thought Ray Wonder was trolling. Then I kept reading he is dead serious.

What's wrong with you? We're living in a day and age where there is no excuse not to educate yourself on what's offensive (in this case racist).

What's everything that's offensive in East Timor? Bhutan? Cameroon? Grenada?

We're talking about another country here. It's not as simple as assuming they even have the means to research that. Let alone understand the gravity behind it.

I've done my research though. I semi-understand the racial climate in Russia more clearly now, and I tend to agree with the general opinion of this thread.

Heritage..

Totally not hate.

Because they're white. Sorry folks. If an African country hosted a European one for a sports match and we threw packets of mayonnaise and dressed up as Seinfeld characters the same people talking about "Please understand..." would have a fucking fit.

Ray Wonder

Totally not hate.
Because they're white. Sorry folks. If an African country hosted a European one for a sports match and we threw packets of mayonnaise and dressed up as Seinfeld characters the same people talking about "Please understand..." would have a fucking fit.

I'd probably die of laughter tbh

Ray Wonder

Fair enough but my point is we don't even do that shit. I mean how full of fucking absolute disdain do you have to be for another people to do shit like that? Just as a culture? I mean god damn.

I was looking at that Latin American "adelantar la raza" thing and trying to see where they got that mindset from, too. This thread could be really interesting, but when I ask a question I have to prove I don't have an agenda. Or that I'm a defense force or some shit.

EDIT: Like above ^^ These two really want to expose me as something I'm not. Makes it hard to have conversations about anything without proving yourself at every turn.

mantidor

I also found this blog, where a visitor to the country has an incredibly racist sculpture explained away to him as harmless, so it seems that the denial still runs deep in that country.

This was fascinating I'm Colombian but didn't know about the statue.

But it read to me as someone triggered by the word "negro" more than anything, and this is where political correctness and cultural differences clash, this is off topic so I'll just say I disagree my dad calling me "negrito" because I'm darker in skin tone to most of my family is racist and prepetuates racism in Colombia. And yes there is racism of course but it manifest much, much differently.

As for the Russians I get why blackface is such an enormous offense in the US, I disagree every instance of black make up is blackface though, however, bananas? Yeah, that is something else much more universal, much more obvious.

But it read to me as someone triggered by the word "negro" more than anything, and this is where political correctness and cultural differences clash, this is off topic so I'll just say I disagree my dad calling me "negrito" because I'm darker in skin tone to most of my family is racist and prepetuates racism in Colombia. And yes there is racism of course but it manifest much, much differently.

As for the Russians I get why blackface is such an enormous offense in the US, I disagree every instance of black make up is blackface though, however, bananas? Yeah, that is something else much more universal, much more obvious.

It's been stated many times in this threads by black people who have never stepped foot in this country that they find black face offensive. It's not an American thing. It's not a "political correctness" thing.

---

Funny people are still conversing. Imma laugh when I want to though..talk about trying to get people banned..😏

I was looking at that Latin American "adelantar la raza" thing and trying to see where they got that mindset from, too. This thread could be really interesting, but when I ask a question I have to prove I don't have an agenda. Or that I'm a defense force or some shit.

EDIT: Like above ^^ These two really want to expose me as something I'm not. Makes it hard to have conversations about anything without proving yourself at every turn.

To be fair I think "How do they have so much disdain" is a fundamentally different question than "Maybe they don't know it's offensive".

Enzom21

This is not at all education! My google is broken, and it is your job to educate me.
"I may defend or excuse blackface and bananas, but black people being racist is where I draw the line!"

Nah, every instance is.
I don't care if they don't have the white around the eyes and mouth, it all comes from the same place.

Besides, minstrel shows certainly had blackface without the exaggerated eyes and lips:

Ray Wonder

I found a pretty good video explaining why they think this is fine.

Russian president Putin defends Christian culture, Western values, condemns political correctness

Political correctness is looked down upon in Russia in general. Citing that giving credence to the mindset of the politically correct leads to the the criticism of religions, and eventually the slow retreat from public view. Saying that things are renamed, and people are ashamed of their religions. It looks as if Putin's using that narrative to scare them into thinking that if they subscribe to that mindset, their religion will eventually lose relevancy.

So, this parade is, as in much of Russia, simply offensive because they don't care if it's offensive or not. They do as they wish, and everyone's feelings don't matter too much to them. I can see why they have this parade, to demonstrate that they don't give a fuck, and I can see why people would call them pieces of shit for it. Although, knowing what I know now, they clearly don't care about being called that either.

Blackface is an offense everywhere.

Ray Wonder

So you think black people are the same fictional creatures?

You really know how to question someone's agenda, huh?

"Oh you proved me wrong, I guess you think black people are elves??!"

You said all black face paint is black face, until there was black face paint that wasn't.

My Mexican relatives have the same tendencies, with 'moreno' being the term of choice. My dad is fairly light skinned so his brothers taunt him (at their extremely advanced age!) by calling him 'gringo' or 'Americano.' It makes me extremely uncomfortable and I've never been okay with it, but it's a rough subject to discuss, I agree.

Skilletor

No, just pointing out the fallacy of your statement that "every" instance is racism. In this context it is not. Don't read anymore into it than that.

Here's a tip for you:

Drow Elf IS a costume - is not blackface.

Black people are not a costume - is blackface.

Enzom21

No, just pointing out the fallacy of your statement that "every" instance is racism. In this context it is not. Don't read anymore into it than that.

No you're trying to be clever and subtle with your nonsense.
We are talking about dressing as black people and you post a something that is not human. You and Wonderboy aren't fooling anyone.

Top Bottom