• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russians parade in blackface ahead of Cameroon-Germany match

Enzom21

What kind of racism is the act of literally two citizens in blackface, should be the question. Not "the parade". The intent of the parade wasn't to strike fear into the hearts of Africans.

A Nigerian journalist, mentioned in the article, who was AT the parade, said he did not judge those people as racists.

And to answer your question, it's the kind of racism that likely comes more from ignorance than intent. The kind that shouldn't exist and fortunately has been reduced to a few articles year-round, but that nonetheless exists in our world of cultural diversity.
Who said anything about striking fear? It is still racist, even if you don't think it is.
And just because some random black person holds the same opinion as doesn't make it correct. No this shit was intentional. Just because you don't think anything is wrong with it doesn't mean it's okay.

Columbia is part of the US after all

Nah, Colombia is part of earth. I know plenty of good Columbian folks. Best friend's wife is Columbian and fucking awesome, but even then. A family member shows up, and they show their ass. Start talking shit in Spanish, not knowing that I understand it completely, and get on that dumb shit. Always funny, because the word black in Spanish ain't something you can hide anyway.

The Negrita Puloy imagery posted earlier as some kind of apparent "gotcha! Not everyone in blackface burns crosses!" riposte got me curious about their history and in doing the digging I only found these two stories that try to explain the context, since the poster didn't even try.

First there's this

The mother-in-law of Isabel Munoz, a Barranquillero, found the solution to a social problem on a box of Venezualan detergent. Staring at an African woman sporting a healthy Afro and a brilliant red bow on her hair, the older woman realised she was holding the ticket to a party.

It was the 1960s and women in Colombia weren't permitted into popular parties. Although they danced at carnival time which hosts the biggest carnival in the Caribbean region, the social structure was such that women barely had a voice in society, let alone a place in public parties – a scenario that peeved this woman the most. After all, it had been several years since she started voting but public parties still had no place for her and other Colombian women.

Armed with an innovative idea, she quickly traced the woman's Afro and red bow from an image on the box of Puloy detergent for future reference. Once home, she designed an elaborate red outfit, a black mask and added a quirky red bow to create a party guise. After winning her family's vote of approval for this garb, she set out to attend the next party in town. Luckily for her, when she entered a party in this avatar, the men at the shindig thought her to be a black gay man dressed as a woman. It was the 1960s — while being black and being gay was acceptable, being a woman in a party wasn't.

This reads like a parallel universe version of minstrelsy, the connections to which become quickly apparent if you look up the imagery involved

gVG9aVZ.jpg

BzFBtFL.jpg

Also this:

The Negrita Puloy went on to become one of the most representative icons in the Carnival of Barranquilla and has been adopted by all kinds of people as a celebration of the sensuality and the joy of the black woman.

This reads like an after-the-fact reframing of a clearly racist caricature. Colombia has a deep history of slavery during Spanish colonial rule, making the lineage from slave to domestic servant to image on a box of detergent not too hard to trace considering the parallels in north america. That the LGBT community has co-opted the imagery doesn't really change the history of said imagery, and while it doesn't make them eligible to join in on an Alabama cross-burning party, it doesn't work as adequate deflection of 'it's not the same kind of blackface!' when the genealogy of the costume is identical.

I also found this blog, where a visitor to the country has an incredibly racist sculpture explained away to him as harmless, so it seems that the denial still runs deep in that country.

Nah, Colombia is part of earth. I know plenty of good Columbian folks. Best friend's wife is Columbian and fucking awesome, but even then. A family member shows up, and they show their ass. Start talking shit in Spanish, not knowing that I understand it completely, and get on that dumb shit. Always funny, because the word black in Spanish ain't something you can hide anyway.

British Columbia or District of Columbia ?

Your ignorance is showing, dark skinned Latinos are shitted on in Spanish speaking countries
*cough*

Afro-Colombians face surge in racial violence

"Dark skinned X shat on in Y country" seems like an accurate enough summation of the world.

Netherlands? The one where the queen rolls in this?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rqWqKXAlLaI/TnSCp-iAn7I/AAAAAAAABeM/fiWiKBKfvd4/s1600/goedenkoets.jpg

Enhance
[IMG]http://tpo.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ANP-1000_34052039-611x328.jpg[/QUOTE]

What the fuck.

Akainu

Gaf thread on european racism?

Guys don't judge maybe they are just throwing those bananas cause they looked hungry they don't know the implications.

Derwind

Since everyone in this thread knows that they know that they're being disgustingly racist, I'll just believe all of you and be on my way.

Nah, lets not start pretending its other peoples fault for picking apart terrible excuses like "cultural differences" or "a show of invitation for Cameroon players" to wash away the racist aspects of this display.

No one knows or gives a fuck over what their "real" intent is. That baggage is theirs to carry alone.

But there is really no excuse presented in this thread thats good enough to make most people believe that these individuals were just innocently painting their skin black and walking around with a banana.

Everything about this post is hilariously bad.

What's your problem if someone hates Russia? There are plenty of valid reasons too. That's not blind xenophobia, that's based on evidence on how Russians treat others different to them. What a crock of garbage to say that "more xenophobia in this thread than in those parade pictures". You're still on this defence that just because 10,000 people weren't in blackface, carrying bananas, and other racist paraphernalia, that it's not so bad. Which is weaksauce.

I totally forgot that you tried to defend earlier that Russia isn't as homophobic and carrying out violence against gay people as others had thought.

That explains why there is a propaganda law that bans gay acceptance and public displays of homosexuality, so that minors aren't shown "nontraditional values". That explains why gay people are being beaten up, kidnapped, and killed in Russia through gay hunts. That explains why churches compare same sex marriage to nazism. That's why the churches blame the rise of ISIS on gay acceptance. That's why public opinion in Russia towards homosexuality is some of the most hostile in the whole world.
"Russia has traditionally been socially conservative on LGBT rights, with 2013 polls indicating a large majority of Russians oppose legal recognition of same-sex marriage and support laws discriminating against LGBT people."[43][44]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Russia
pewgay.jpg

In a 2007 survey, 68% of Russians said homosexuality is always wrong (54%) or almost always wrong (14%).
The Moscow Times: 87% of Russians oppose gay parades
Eighty-five percent of respondents surveyed by the Levada Center said they opposed same-sex marriages in Russia and 87 percent said they did not want gay parades to take place in Russian cities, Interfax reported.

The survey showed that 23 percent of respondents felt that gay people should be left alone, while 27 percent said they needed psychological help.

Another 16 percent suggested that gays be isolated from society, 22 percent insisted on compulsory treatment, and 5 percent said homosexuals should be "liquidated."

Over the past eight years, the number of Russians who that believe gays and lesbians should be left "to themselves" has declined 7 percent, while the percentage of Russians who think homosexuals should receive treatment has climbed 5 percent. The percentage of those who believe that homosexuals should be isolated from society has also increased, by 4 percent.

In response to the question, "What is your personal feeling toward gay and lesbians?" 50 percent of respondents said they felt irritation and disgust, another 18 said they felt a sense of alertness, and for 4 percent, homosexuals evoked a positive response.

Eighty percent of respondents opposed granting the right to adopt children to same-sex couples, while 5 percent said they had no objections.

The majority of those surveyed (89 percent) said they had no homosexual friends or relatives.

Because you said that the average Russian citizen is very tolerant of others.

Just because you're residing in Russia, doesn't mean you're an expert on it. Have you at least watched and read about how young gay people live in Russia?

Young and Gay in Putin's Russia documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ_aSl3ktjg&list=PLDbSvEZka6GEGqg-hUWZ7Q-e1raWicvN5&index=1

Listen, I appreciate and respect that you've compiled this information together. I know very well the issues there are and think, as I've said before, that they're abhorrent and cant be defended. I've said this in other threads too. And I certainly don't mean to come off as thinking I'm an expert just because I reside in Russia.

But my point before was that people are quick to bunch together all Russian citizens as "backwards" and the like. People are comparing this article to the REAL issue (which I've mentioned on numerous occasions) that football clubs like Zenith and their fans are causing.

Also I never defended the federal laws enforced in Russia with regards to homosexuality. I think you have shifted my argument into something completely different. I simply made an offhand remark that homophobia isn't as rampant (and tolerance is slowly growing) and that people shouldn't be so quick to throw innocent citizens into a mixture of a "shithole". It's like me saying all Americans are idiots because Trump is president.

Anyways feel free to reply but I've got to get going so I won't be able to reply.

Guys don't judge maybe they are just throwing those bananas cause they looked hungry they don't know the implications.

Isn't it normal to throw bananas to hungry parade participants in the crowd? Seriously, who doesn't like a good banana? They know the implications, and the implications are ending world parade hunger. They're doing good work. Not racist.

What's your argument here? Do you really think there isn't racism in Colombia just because Gordon is speaking about people from Colombia living in the US?

He keeps talking about all the colombian friends he has while calling them columbians, its just a little strange

zeemumu

Why is it up for debate on whether or not parading around as an insulting caricature of a person is wrong? I don't think you can still get away with the "they didn't know it was wrong" thing after you add bananas.

Listen, I appreciate and respect that you've compiled this information together. I know very well the issues there are and think, as I've said before, that they're abhorrent and cant be defended. I've said this in other threads too. And I certainly don't mean to come off as thinking I'm an expert just because I reside in Russia.

But my point before was that people are quick to bunch together all Russian citizens as "backwards" and the like. People are comparing this article to the REAL issue (which I've mentioned on numerous occasions) that football clubs like Zenith and their fans are causing.

Also I never defended the federal laws enforced in Russia with regards to homosexuality. I think you have shifted my argument into something completely different. I simply made an offhand remark that homophobia isn't as rampant (and tolerance is slowly growing) and that people shouldn't be so quick to throw innocent citizens into a mixture of a "shithole". It's like me saying all Americans are idiots because Trump is president.

Anyways feel free to reply but I've got to get going so I won't be able to reply.

I don't feel the need to reply to you further if you still believe that homophobia isn't rampant in Russia when I just showed you the statistics that it is.

Russians are as weird and unfamiliar to us in western Europe as they are to you in the US. No non-Russian European feels a kinship with the Russians. Culturally, they are are a thing by themselves.

azyless

With a 16% approval rate for homosexuality (like... not even marriage or laws, just homosexuality existing) you still have the nerve to say homophobia isn't rampant ? You either have an extremely small social circle or you just don't recognize homophobia when you hear/see it. Kind of like what you're doing with racism in here.

Now that we have that out of the way... What are thoughts on racism in Latin countries?
Things like "adelantar la raza"?

The way that phrase is built tells me is from the caribbean, maybe Dominican Republic or even Panama.

Now yes there is racism in Latin America, but talking about blackface for example, in the mountain region from where a part of my family comes from, the native indigenous people do a dance in a carnival where they use blackface and also masks to represent the africans that came to their land alongside the spaniards. Its not particulary racist even tho racism is present in the country and the region as a whole

If you let some members of EuroGaf tell it, Europe abolished racism centuries ago and banished all their racists to America. The first wave came on the Mayflower and Europe would eventually exile their last remaining racists to Ellis Island in the early 20th century.

Top Bottom