• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

i was actually very surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. I found the combat entertaining for the most part and liked the story a lot.

i did sell the game, mainly because my backlog is so big currently, and im left with 2 codes for the first people to reply (1 per person). Items are Blade of Favor and Gorgon's Fury. The first person will get their pick of code, note I have no idea what these are actually for

m23

i was actually very surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. I found the combat entertaining for the most part and liked the story a lot.

i did sell the game, mainly because my backlog is so big currently, and im left with 2 codes for the first people to reply (1 per person). Items are Blade of Favor and Gorgon's Fury. The first person will get their pick of code, note I have no idea what these are actually for

I'll take whatever is left. Thanks.

bidguy

Banned
did this flop ?

really loving this and it would be awesome if the sequel would be about spartacus and the slave rebellion. the executions reminded me of the starz series.

Heysoos

Bought Ryse, playing through it right now. This is so much fucking fun. I can definitely see how it's repetitive for some, but I'm having an absolute blast, and some of the set pieces are fucking awesome. Not to mention the game is gorgeous.

derFeef

Bought Ryse, playing through it right now. This is so much fucking fun. I can definitely see how it's repetitive for some, but I'm having an absolute blast, and some of the set pieces are fucking awesome. Not to mention the game is gorgeous.

I hope you are playing on Centurion! That's what I started with and it was a blast.

Same here. Got my xbox last week and between this and Forza I've been in heaven.

The game doesn't start off well, mechanically. And I can't stand the load times, the spear throwing and those scorpio turret sections, but everything else is golden. For what would otherwise be described as no-fail QTEs the core combat system works very well, and there's plenty of player choice to combat, and damn do those hits come down hard.

The story is told well, the graphics are phenomenal, and the cinematic stylings and camera work are all pulled off to great effect.

All in all this might be my biggest surprise out of next gen. I expected that I'd find at least some fun in it (though I strongly doubted even that after the first hour), but I honestly didn't expect the game to be this well put together.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Same here. Got my xbox last week and between this and Forza I've been in heaven.

The game doesn't start off well, mechanically. And I can't stand the load times, the spear throwing and those scorpio turret sections, but everything else is golden. For what would otherwise be described as no-fail QTEs the core combat system works very well, and there's plenty of player choice to combat, and damn do those hits come down hard.

The story is told well, the graphics are phenomenal, and the cinematic stylings and camera work are all pulled off to great effect.

All in all this might be my biggest surprise out of next gen. I expected that I'd find at least some fun in it (though I strongly doubted even that after the first hour), but I honestly didn't expect the game to be this well put together.

i agree with this for the most part, but am not quite as positive towards the game. there is definitely a fairly solid game at the core, with an awesome setting, beautiful tech and good story/characters, but EVERYTHING crytek added to flesh out the gameplay aside from combat failed pretty hard imo. I do hope we get a sequel and they can add meaningful other things to do besides stab people - maybe something akin to tomb raider reboot with puzzles, light platforming, and exploration inbetween killing sprees?

sangreal

The Scorpio sections are terrible, second only to asshats that insist on using the Scorpio in MP which fucks with your combos/XP

Asked the game director on twitter. He said that news about it will come soon.

Sorry, I missed this, thank you

Lima

DLC is out today for season pass holders with a game update. 2.7GB.

I assume just like the other two packs it will take a while before it becomes available separately.

sangreal

You can finally play as Marius in MP
newskins.png

If I had an xbone I'd have this bought, loved what I saw in the trailers and on youtube.

I finished it recently, it was pretty good, played it on the hardest mode you can play it on from the start but was still very easy, I think the reviews weren't far off, I give it around a 7.

Redshirt

Banned
Duel of Fates also adds 250 achievement points and at least two new map options for solo arena.

There's also a challenge (3 days remaining) to survive for 30 minutes on Island that rewards gold. I'll give it a shot tonight.

p3tran

Banned
You can finally play as Marius in MP

wow! I can play as a goat-man too? hehe nice!
i guess 2.7gb includes more than that though?

fake edit: just checked and there are 200 new achievements points plus a new challenge: "castaway: survive for 30 minutes on island"(?!)

and below the chievos:
This is My Island - 50 gs - Perform 30 Environmental Executions on Island
Build a Bridge Out of Her - 50 gs - Complete Invictus
Uh, He's Already Got One, You see - 50 gs - Complete Barbarous
Survivor - 50 gs - Play a Round of Survival on Island
island? barbarous? invictus? hehe downloading to see what is this about

i agree with this for the most part, but am not quite as positive towards the game. there is definitely a fairly solid game at the core, with an awesome setting, beautiful tech and good story/characters, but EVERYTHING crytek added to flesh out the gameplay aside from combat failed pretty hard imo. I do hope we get a sequel and they can add meaningful other things to do besides stab people - maybe something akin to tomb raider reboot with puzzles, light platforming, and exploration inbetween killing sprees?
Pretty much, though I enjoyed the shield-wall stuff more than I thought I would and did appreciate the idea of selecting your banner and then being given some choice in how to set up your defenses. The idea of it was better than the execution but I think there's a nugget of goodness there I'd like to see the next game exploit.

And am so damn glad there is a gladiator mode here, and one that can be solo'd. Its the perfect compliment to the main story.

sangreal

fuuuuck -- got to 28:28 on Island with a stranger then died. Soooo close, and I fucked it up because I didn't realize I had a revive potion equipped

I wish I could get matched with more people who play Apollo on Survivor. Apollo+Apollo is easy mode. Had someone pick Mars earlier and I can't for the life of me understand why

Stantron

I played a bunch of rounds yesterday. Missed the 30 min mark on Island by 22 seconds with one dude. Bha, so close. But I ended up getting it a few rounds later with another random. We actually made it to just over the 40 min mark. Praise be to almighty Apollo, thy lord and savior. At that point, you're in constant bleed out mode and need to execute non stop. Payout was about 5800 gold plus another 4500 for getting the challenge achievement.

BTW, If you keep buying the same tier equipment, it will eventually tell you that some items will be replaced. I guess it reaches a max inventory.

Pathos

Banned
It takes way to long to find a game, so if anyone wants a coop partner or something, just shoot me a PM. I'm only rank 4 (almost 5) btw lol.

sangreal

I have no problem finding survival matches on any of the maps. Might be a network issue?

Maybe someone grinding for the achievement?
Yeah, probably. I just actively hate playing with Mars players because the damage bonus throws off my rhythm and makes me miss so many executions (by killing the guys). I also can't see any benefit to his power or gain in survival.

BTW, If you keep buying the same tier equipment, it will eventually tell you that some items will be replaced. I guess it reaches a max inventory.

Yeah, that happened to me. It told me I had almost full tier 6 so some items may be replaced. What really pissed me off though, is it gave me a tier 5 helm because I guess I have all the tier 6 -- BUT I am missing other Tier 6 items; I only have 2 swords for example

Stantron

Yeah, that happened to me. It told me I had almost full tier 6 so some items may be replaced. What really pissed me off though, is it gave me a tier 5 helm because I guess I have all the tier 6 -- BUT I am missing other Tier 6 items; I only have 2 swords for example
Interesting. I bought a tier 6 gold pack, got the same message you mention, and one of the items it gave me was the same exact boots I was already wearing. I didn't pay attention to the other two items. That's kind of lame, especially since they don't allow you to delete any worthless items you already own. Also, if an item is "replaced", it better not be replacing a good one with an inferior one. lol

Pathos

Banned
I go to smart match > survival. I've only been partnered up like maybe once. I can play all other multiplayer games fine. No clue if they are trying to match me up with people in my region or whatever.

sangreal

I go to smart match > survival. I've only been partnered up like maybe once. I can play all other multiplayer games fine. No clue if they are trying to match me up with people in my region or whatever.

You try custom match -> survival? that's what I usually do. I've never tried smart match

Interesting. I bought a tier 6 gold pack, got the same message you mention, and one of the items it gave me was the same exact boots I was already wearing. I didn't pay attention to the other two items. That's kind of lame, especially since they don't allow you to delete any worthless items you already own. Also, if an item is "replaced", it better not be replacing a good one with an inferior one. lol

I don't think it replaces items you already have, just that it replaces items you're supposed to get w/ items from another tier. And yeah, it's really stupid to have a limit (a tiny one at that) and then not let you remove the junk

Lima

I don't think it replaces items you already have, just that it replaces items you're supposed to get w/ items from another tier. And yeah, it's really stupid to have a limit (a tiny one at that) and then not let you remove the junk

It's not replacing anything. All the items you have stay in your inventory at all times.

Each tier has a set amount of items. If you are only buying tier 6 packs chances are high that you almost have all items from that tier at some point so it's "replacing" some tier 6 items with items from lower tiers.

It's misleading a little and it actually kinda sucks that they just don't give you the rest of the respective tier items until you have them all etc.

Ah well it's a minor annoyance at most.

Hit me up if you need help with the survival challenge.

sangreal

It's not replacing anything. All the items you have stay in your inventory at all times.

Each tier has a set amount of items. If you are only buying tier 6 packs chances are high that you almost have all items from that tier at some point so it's "replacing" some tier 6 items with items from lower tiers.

Right, that is what I'm saying but it gives you items from a lower tier instead of the rest of the tier 6 items you're not missing

EBE

ive really enjoyed Ryse's season pass so far. its been surprisingly full of content. if in the next and final pack crytek add in another mode, 4-5 new maps, and new skins (i wanna play as vitalion, or maybe boudica if they add in female gladiators) id be super impressed. Ryse has really turned out to be a great game and one of the highlights of next gen.

oh, and survive 30 minutes on island is pretty fucking hard, even with two Apollos. got the achievement earlier today, but only just.

Redshirt

Banned
I agree. I bought the Ryse season pass for no other reason than Day One exuberance, but I've really enjoyed it.

I can't wait to see what happens with gladiator mode in Ryse 2. I think it's on the verge of being something great. Loot/booster system definitely needs tweaking.

p3tran

Banned
I third the enjoyment of the season pass!
hell, I enjoyed very much the entire game, too :D
and the fact that I can play the extra content I have with my friends that haven't purchased it, I also approve much of this. this need be done in other games too.

Top Bottom