• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son Of Rome |Reviews| It's going to be a bloodbath!

codhand

this imaginary world where crysis 1 launched, playable, on a rig that didnt cost two grand...

C2 and 3 are both good games, stop the crysis 1 hyperbole, rose-tinted, nostalgia bs.

i like all three, i guess im the only person.

I think you mean capped at 30. Locked 30 fps by definition means exactly 30fps no more no less.

Same difference really. Unless the game isn't taxing the hardware at all or there's very little going on on screen the framerate is going to drop below whatever the locked framerate is.

SpartanN92

Banned
this imaginary world where crysis 1 launched, playable, on a rig that didnt cost two grand...

C2 and 3 are both good games, stop the crysis 1 hyperbole, rose-tinted, nostalgia bs.

I'm right there with you...I thoroughly enjoyed Crysis 1,2,&3...and I played them all on 360.

Gurrry

Lol, i love how everyone here is taking what the journalists say like its gospel.

This game looks fun as shit. Ill play the ass out of it.

For those of you that dont like it, have fun playing Zoo Tycoon I guess...

The Kotaku review is so convoluted and poorly written it's blowing my mind:
The better way to do this is to appreciate the graphics and actually watch Marius' movements. If he is about to use his sword hand, be ready to press X. If he is about to use any other part of his body to attack, use Y. This might not seem like a big difference, but it is. It feels special, because because the tells that the player is reading aren't those of his enemy's but those of the exceptionally well-rendered main character.

Ignoring the gaf hyperbole, the DF analysis video didn't turn me off of the game in the least. I was actually going to pass on it but watching the video and reading the analysis just convinced me to pick it up.

codhand

Lol, i love how everyone here is taking what the journalists say like its gospel.

yeah, this is a bad trend. it's one thing to partake in the fun bagging on knack/ryse, but another to act like it's 100% proof positive that something below 80 metacritic is de facto awful

First of all, Crysis 1 was completely playable on medium settings on most gaming PCs when it launched, and it was a really fun game when played that way. Let's not pretend you weren't playing a great game with the settings dialed back.

Secondly... I really like Crysis 3, which is definitely a better game than 2, but the highs of Crysis 1 have never been matched. Overall Crysis 1 and Crysis 3 are in my eyes about equivalent. But there's no mission I'll replay in Crysis 3 as much as I'll replay assault.

Timu

I had to choose between this and Dead Rising 3, and I'm so glad I went with Dead Rising 3 instead...will probably check this one out in the bargain bin if at all.

annyways sad this game is short and shallow
but as long as a lot of casuals buy it they could still one day makea sequel and improve those facets
I'm going to buy it just because racing and fighting aren't the only things I want to do at laugh and dr3 I am unsure of right now

I mean I've really liked certain games with low reviews

Too Human was one of my top 10 games last gen... then again even the lowly too human got higher reviews

Jonboy

I'm more shocked by the number of folks who thought this was actually going to be decent than the actual review scores. Bummer for X1 buyers who were looking forward to it though.

coldfoot

Banned
I have 750 thousand reasons for not trusting Polygon, but Kotaku is IhavenoideawhatImdoing.jpg. They're the vg chartz of reviews, completely random.

what do you expect people to be doing in a review thread? as I said in the Knack thread, yeah, I'll wait to play it myself before I decide if it's good or not, but I'm not about to roll $60 on it 'to try it myself'. Fuck that.

Now, if either game had got great reviews across the board, I'd have dropped my $60 quite happily 'to try it myself'.

Gurrry

yeah, this is a bad trend. it's one thing to partake in the fun bagging on knack/ryse, but another to act like it's 100% proof positive that something below 80 metacritic is de facto awful

I understand people being passionate and trusting the opinions of their favorite outlets...

But cmon.. One person says its repetitive and now everyone follows suite. Its pretty dumb. Every game ive ever played has been repetitive as shit.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ignoring the gaf hyperbole, the DF analysis video didn't turn me off of the game in the least. I was actually going to pass on it but watching the video and reading the analysis just convinced me to pick it up.
Dips to 15fps and constant 20fps sections didn't turn you off from a game that has already been panned and lambasted by reviewers for being a hackneyed borefest?

I can't tell you what to buy, but I will say that you are probably better off buying something else. If you want better titles in the future then speaking with your wallet is the way to go. By speaking I mean buying something that is actually worth your hard earned dollars.

Silly, I know... but this game was the only one that interested me on the xbone but whatever, I guess I'll watch a let's play of it to see all of the cool Roman stuff.

DC1

War against the Microwave!
You may love it! So go for it!

Knack is receiving so much love from the gaming community (folks who has/is) playing the game. Many of us are on a 3rd playthrough.

Ryse may be a game (like Knack) that the reviewer simply didn't 'get'.

Be sure to give us your thoughts.

njbrodeur87

Neo Member
ill be buying this game as well, after reading some reviews, and i like hack and slash games, even though it will become a bit repetitive. Im also enjoying knack so far for the same reason.

I understand people being passionate and trusting the opinions of their favorite outlets...

But cmon.. One person says its repetitive and now everyone follows suite. Its pretty dumb. Every game ive ever played has been repetitive as shit.
then play better games.

annyways sad this game is short and shallow
but as long as a lot of casuals buy it they could still one day makea sequel and improve those facets
I'm going to buy it just because racing and fighting aren't the only things I want to do at laugh and dr3 I am unsure of right now

I mean I've really liked certain games with low reviews

Too Human was one of my top 10 games last gen... then again even the lowly too human got higher reviews

I liked Too Human but it's not even on my radar as one of top games of the last 8 years.

Kotaku said:
The better way to do this is to appreciate the graphics and actually watch Marius' movements. If he is about to use his sword hand, be ready to press X. If he is about to use any other part of his body to attack, use Y. This might not seem like a big difference, but it is. It feels special, because because the tells that the player is reading aren't those of his enemy's but those of the exceptionally well-rendered main character.

Good lord, and he writes for a living? Is he dysgraphic or something?

I have 750 thousand reasons for not trusting Polygon, but Kotaku is IhavenoideawhatImdoing.jpg. They're the vg chartz of reviews, completely random.

ever thought that maybe kotaku has an opinion like any other reviewer and in their opinion it is a good game?

I liked Too Human but it's not even on my radar as one of top games of the last 8 years.

that's really irrelevant to my post :/

Chobel

Same difference really. Unless the game isn't taxing the hardware at all or there's very little going on on screen the framerate is going to drop below whatever the locked framerate is.

So you're talking about reality, well in every game there will be some moments where fps drops, and devs should try their best to lock the fps. However in Ryse it seems framerate drops so many times (most of the time?) below 30 fps, it's like they didn't even try to lock the framerate.

though it's a shame Ryse ended up being a disappointment I love the way people look to reviews, if the "hated" game gets low scores, then it's deserved but, if the same game gets high scores, then, it has to be the developer sending checks to the press

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No. Locked implies that the game runs at a specific frame rate.

njbrodeur87

Neo Member
though it's a shame Ryse ended up being a disappointment I love the way people look to reviews, if the "hated" game gets low scores, then it's deserved but, if the same game gets high scores, then, it has to be the developer sending checks to the press

couldnt agree more with this

Meh, I honestly expected somewhere between 40-50 on Metacritc so I'm actually a bit surprised haha.
Think I'm gunna rent this from Redbox.

Dips to 15fps and constant 20fps sections didn't turn you off from a game that has already been panned and lambasted by reviewers for being a hackneyed borefest?

I can't tell you what to buy, but I will say that you are probably better off buying something else. If you want better titles in the future then speaking with your wallet is the way to go. By speaking I mean buying something that is actually worth your hard earned dollars.

Look, I get it, technically it's not perfect and the game play is repetitive but I like the art direction and greatly appreciate the tech. The voice work seems really good and the game play, while repetitive will be good enough in small - lets say 30min - doses. This isn't my first system launch. I know what I'm getting into.

oVerde

Banned

i'm with you on the hyperbole, not so much for The third.

ever thought that maybe kotaku has an opinion like any other reviewer and in their opinion it is a good game?

that's really irrelevant to my post :/
Read the review. If someone told me an enthusiastic eleven year-old wrote it, I'd believe them. It's way too long for no good reason and incessantly analyzes the most mundane details of the game. I can't believe there is an adult man getting paid for doing this. You'd think they would hire someone with at least a bit more finesse and wisdom.

Top Bottom