• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

zeldablue

Yeah, and I hate SS for that terrible and completely unnecessary addition to Zelda's previously simple lore.

Agreed...Skyward Sword's story made me want to punch someone. :S

Yeah it is unfortunate we never got a humanoid like Ganon fight in this game. It would be nice if he spoke some words like he has somehow lost control and the power of evil(Demise) has gone berserk within him. In a way begging Link to end him. It would be quite interesting if that occurred.

023.jpg

Kill...Me... o___o

It's 100% not worth it. Horrible stats and you can't upgrade it. I wish I hadn't gotten it.

Dang it...I just spent so much time getting the Dark Link stuff. ;___;

Man I really dislike that Calamity Ganon design a lot. Nothing about it says "Ganon" besides the red hair. It looks more like a random boss in DOOM than the Demon King.

Astral Dog

No, because Demise will just come back as something else. Before he reincarnated as Ganondorf, he had reincarnated as Vaati, for example. After Ganon(dorf), he could just be something else.
I seriously doubt Demise ever reincarnated as Vaati,or Bellum,or Majora etc.

Its just meant to be Ganondorf.at least for now

Astral Dog

It's not an Ancient Sage. Twilight Princess' cutscenes take place after Ocarina of Time (obviously). If the Ancient Sages are around for Twilight Princess' backstory, they must therefore also have been present in Ocarina of Time. This would have made the entirety of Ocarina of Time's narrative (awaken these new sages) entirely pointless, if the Ancient Sages were still around and were still capable of banishing Ganondorf.

The fact the Ancient Sages are long gone by Ocarina of Time means they must also be long gone by Twilight Princess' backstory. Therefore, it is not the Ancient Sages in Twilight Princess' backstory. The Sages in Twilight Princess are the same as the Sages in Ocarina of Time. Ruto awakened as a sage in the Child Timeline (they all did). Link wasn't needed to awake her because Ganondorf never managed to corrupt the Temples in the Child Timeline - they awoke automatically.
No,because Ganondorf didn't kill them in Ocarina he never had the chance.
This old man white sage =princess Ruto theory needs to die already

Edzi

I swear, if Nintendo ever touches Majora's Mask with this nonsense I'm going to freak out. As far as I'm concerned, Demise isn't real and Ganondorf is just a dude who was so powerful that he was deemed worthy of the Triforce of Power. Simple and badass, and clearly the original intention behind the character.

Kinsei

Banned
Bellum seems like a random monster so I doubt it has anything to do with the cure of Demise. Malladus on the other hand definitely seems like he might. Just look at him. They could have called him Toon Ganon and no one would have batted an eye.

I swear, if Nintendo ever touches Majora's Mask with this nonsense I'm going to freak out. As far as I'm concerned, Demise isn't real and Ganondorf is just a dude who was so powerful that he was deemed worthy of the Triforce of Power. Simple and badass, and clearly the original intention behind the character.

The Demise stuff isn't applicable to Majora since it wanted nothing to do with Zelda.

It's 100% not worth it. Horrible stats and you can't upgrade it. I wish I hadn't gotten it.

It took me a grand total of 20 minutes to gather the parts needed to buy it, it's totally worth it.

Kinda wish it was more expensive to be honest, I bought all of Kilton's wares with just two trips to the gerudo desert and a handful of modulgas slain.

zeldablue

Does anyone have any guesses on what the DLC might entail? I was surprised to see how they were able to make Zelda such a heroine while also hitting my pet peeve of only showing her in cutscenes... It's like...I was proud of Nintendo and then shaking my head at the same time.

I hope the DLC makes more use of Riju, Teba, Sibon and Yo...Goron guy. I feel they were under-utilized and of course, I'd love to see Princess Zelda tied more closely to the actual gameplay and not just being there for expositional flashbacks...

I think fans often argue about how literal Demise's hatred is.

I personally try to see it as extremely not literal so that Ganondorf's agency isn't shattered by some random generic villain that I don't care about.

I feel like Ganondorf, Malladus, Bellum, Majora, Vaati and others are all very loosely tied to Demise hating Link and Zelda.

Bellum seems like a random monster so I doubt it has anything to do with the cure of Demise. Malladus on the other hand definitely seems like he might. Just look at him. They could have called him Toon Ganon and no one would have batted an eye.

The Demise stuff isn't applicable to Majora since it wanted nothing to do with Zelda.

Isn't Majora's Mask in a different world/alternate universe? I don't remember the specifics but don't you get there through like portals and stuff. Or is it just a far (Super far) away land?

I still love Majora's Mask so much, though BOTW is the better game easily and the best overall game in the entire series to me. But I still think the story and world in Majora's Mask is something special

Kinsei

Banned
Does anyone have any guesses on what the DLC might entail? I was surprised to see how they were able to make Zelda such a heroine while also hitting my pet peeve of only showing her in cutscenes...

I hope the DLC makes more use of Riju, Teba, Sibon and Yo...Goron guy. I feel they were under-utilized and of course, I'd love to see Princess Zelda tied more closely to the actual gameplay and not just being there for expositional flashbacks...

I think fans often argue about how literal Demise's hatred is.

I personally try to see it as extremely not literal so that Ganondorf's agency isn't shattered by some random generic villain that I don't care about.

I feel like Ganondorf, Malladus, Bellum, Majora, Vaati and others are all very loosely tied to Demise hating Link and Zelda.

That's one of thw things I dislike most about the story (Well that and how poorly Ganon was used). I feel like the dungeon gimmick should have been to have multiple playable characters (Like the Earth and Wind Temples from WW). It would have been really cool to see them take on the role of champion. The horse call button could have been used to switch so there would be no gameplay interruptions like the command melody in WW.

Astral Dog

As someone that hasnt really been able to enjoy 3D zelda games, the allure of this game having a larger focus on story was one of the reasons I gave it a go. Having finished 3 divine beasts and collected all the memories...I'm disappointed so far.

Kindve want to go back to skyward sword just to see what was there that I missed.
Just a shitty anime plot with obvious retcons.you don't miss much although Zelda gets a very important role there as opposed to TP wich makes it a slight improvment

zeldablue

That's one of thw things I dislike most about the story (Well that and how poorly Ganon was used). I feel like the dungeon gimmick should have been to have multiple playable characters (Like the Earth and Wind Temples from WW). It would have been really cool to see them take on the role of champion. The horse call button could have been used to switch so there would be no gameplay interruptions like the command melody in WW.

Yeah. In Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, you interact with these types of characters twice. The first time you help them and then later in the plot they help you back.

BotW was so busy being non-linear and not wanting to mess anything up by letting anything be inaccessible that they missed this big time. I wish that after the Calamity Ganon fight Ganon would fly out and started corrupting newer, emptier areas and then the Gerudo, Zora, Rito, and Goron guys held the key to finishing Ganon off completely with like...a final final dungeon or something.

Astral Dog

Don't know if it's been said, but while the story is probably on the lighter side compared to other Zelda games, the amount of stories there are in the game is incredible. Visit any stable in the world and people will tell you about legends, mysterious places, sometimes they'll even show something on the horizon. Some people will tell you about history, others about Calamity Ganon and guardians and how it affects them. In villages they all have something to say about this world, and on your travels you'll find wanderers talking about their hometowns and why they left.

Take the fishing village for instance: people wouldn't shut up about the rain and how it affects their work, and when it stopped they talked about a treasure at sea, or about this young guy gone exploring some ruins a little farther on the beach. I think all of this is pretty incredible, and done much better than any games in the franchise.
Exactly,the story might be dissapointing (though my worst complain is the VA and the finale/final boss by far). But the world of Hyrule in BoTW is incredibly more fleshed out than anything below the clouds in Skyward Sword. or at parts Twilight Princess There is no comparison.

The Hyrule of BoTW is a decadent,colorful,charming post apocalyptic landscape and a solid foundation for things to come

Caelus

Man I really dislike that Calamity Ganon design a lot. Nothing about it says "Ganon" besides the red hair. It looks more like a random boss in DOOM than the Demon King.

I feel like I'm in the minority who like it.

The backstory of the laboratory underneath Hyrule Castle, the Yiga Clan, the Shiekah tech... it makes sense to me that after Zelda II, some evil Yiga or Shiekah scientists messed with Ganondorf's remains in an attempt to resurrect him, which is why elements of his design have his Gerudo mane along with Guardian components.

13ruce

Banned

The backstory of the laboratory underneath Hyrule Castle, the Yiga Clan, the Shiekah tech... it makes sense to me that after Zelda II, some evil Yiga or Shiekah scientists messed with Ganondorf's remains in an attempt to resurrect him, which is why elements of his design have his Gerudo mane along with Guardian components.

Is this backstory about the laboratory ingame? Only found Zelda's dairy in the castle. And i also love Ganons design in this game hopefully hard mode makes all the dungeon bosses still spawn after completing them and makes him a bit harder and faster.

After 3 games of human Ganondorf it was fresh having a mindless Ganon again.

That's fine and dandy but doesn't excuse the fact that they dropped the ball in the end. It's like one day they ran out of money and were like "oh shit, wrap it up."

Derpot

I dunno, I liked Calamity Ganon's design. He looks all fucked up, incomplete and horrifying. He lost his physical form a long time ago and tried to obtain a new body by using Sheikah technology with guardians' parts and all.

Astral Dog

Malladus is interesting because i thought he got that form by fusing with Cole,so things like his horns and the red hair would be Cole but the boar shape and light blue color are Malladus.not that it matters much,but we will never know if he has something to do with Demise

The Divine beasts can literally be cleared in 10mins roughly which is kinda sad. Its worse if you Revali's dungeon first for the OP jump.

Kinda lame that the enemies just changed colors and upgraded weapons. Why not have them use different tactics and weapons instead of +10 attack to their original weapons.

Exodust

Banned
Din, Nayru, and Farore are still the sole creator deities. Hylia is something closer to 'very powerful being worshipped as a deity', not entirely unlike the Great Deku Tree or Lord Jabu Jabu.

Yeah, I know. I just don't see the reason why she had to exist, or why it's explicitly linked to Zelda's power. When I felt like the way Link, Zelda and Ganon received power is the Tri-Force splitting towards the three of them due to them already being capable or having potential to be capable was a good enough explanation. Zelda being a descendant of a goddess created by three goddesses, Link as the creator and wielder of the Master Sword, and Ganondorf's villainy due Demise's hatred and will just convolutes the characters and dilutes their importance IMO.

On another note: When the 2nd phase of Ganon happened and was too easy, and having it being similar tot he quests where you enter divine beasts, I found myself thinking that it would have been dope if the giant pig demon was the last dungeon, with Ganondorf as the final boss inside.

Haganeren

I think you're confusing "most story" for "best story" which is a common thing that people do

Errr, not really on this case even if there IS Zelda's story i like better (Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask for exemple). I know that everyone hate when a new lore downplay something they loved and SS really just do that.

There is deity above the three goddess so "meh"
Zelda power is now Hylia power so "meh"
Ganondorf is only a vessel for Demise so "meh".

I can understand the logic, those new guys we don't know taking the place of those guys we loved so it's bad somehow... But i like it... Having Ganondorf again and again was ridiculous anyway, it was cool in Wind Waker and outstep its welcome with Twilight Princess. By that whole reincarnation thing, they can basically do anything they want by just saying the words "Demise reincarnated in something else totally different".

What i dislike is retcon personally, i don't care if what we thought was the only things in the lore is now a part of a larger lore instead... Seems natural and a normal occurance of a serie this long which continue to exists.

Kyzon

I just found out I couldn't upgrade it. I'm gonna just live with the terrible stats as he's one of my all time fav characters.

I took on the final boss for the first time just now with it actually XD

So good!

Errr, not really on this case even if there IS Zelda's story i like better (Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask for exemple). I know that everyone hate when a new lore downplay something they loved and SS really just do that.

There is deity above the three goddess so "meh"
Zelda power is now Hylia power so "meh"
Ganondorf is only a vessel for Demise so "meh".

I can understand the logic, those new guys we don't know taking the place of those guys we loved so it's bad somehow... But i like it... Having Ganondorf again and again was ridiculous anyway, it was cool in Wind Waker and outstep its welcome with Twilight Princess. By that whole reincarnation thing, they can basically do anything they want by just saying the words "Demise reincarnated in something else totally different".

What i dislike is retcon personally, i don't care if what we thought was the only things in the lore is now a part of a larger lore instead... Seems natural and a normal occurance of a serie this long which continue to exists.

Okay so why is it good? Demise is a non-character Akuma ripoff who appears at the very end to announce that he will reincarnate for all eternity because he's angry. What is enriching about that, as opposed to the power of The Legend of Zelda being a myth retold again and again for new generations, with variations? It's just fan-fiction lore wank. "Ganon reappears again because Demise sez so", box checked, we now have a Logical Reason for Ganon to keep reappearing because apparently we needed that, despite the fact that this reason is not inherently interesting or enriching at all. I don't give a fuck about Demise. Skyward Sword is all tell and no show. If you're gonna build up a villain, BUILD UP A VILLAIN.

Zelda being a mortal incarnation of Hylia is maybe even dumber. We had a reason for Link, Zelda and Ganon to be important, and that's because they're inheritors of the Triforce. Okay so now Ganon is Demise, Zelda is Hylia, but Link is just a schmuck with courage, shouldn't he then also be some kind of God to be worthy of the Triforce, since Ganon and Zelda both got their Totally Awesome Lore-Filled Backstories? And if not, why not?

I'm really glad BOTW completely resisted the temptation to insert more meta-lore, if nothing else.

In conclusion, fuck Skyward Sword

Calamity Ganon was just lame.
Just a big ugly monster that exists solely to be a big ugly monster you fight at the end of the game.
No personality, no goals, no conflict, no sign of nuance..no nothing.
Honestly Ganon didn't even need to be in this game; nothing that makes him interesting or cool even exist in this game.
I feel like the plot and story would have been more interesting if it was about one of the guardians becoming self-aware and taking over Hyrule, leaving it in the desolate state we see it in.
Link and Zelda vs medieval HAL 9000 and his spider terminators would have been pretty dope.
And imagine for just a minute if medieval HAL 9000 and his spider terminators weren't particularly "evil", they just didn't want to fight the Hylians' battles anymore and rebelled to be free.
It would have mirrored a lot of Zelda's own feelings about her predetermined role in inheriting a kingdom and fighting evil.

btw the Demise salt on the last page (and this one) is kind of hilarious.
Get bent haters. lol (I've come to feel like this wasn't necessary, different strokes for different folks is what I should have said. Sorry guys.)
Demise =/= Ganon the same way Zelda =/= Hylia. They're both very separate people.

Ganon carries the "spirit" of Demise in that he wishes to oppose the Hero of Hyrule and see it fall to ruin. His story has an added layer to it by being the chosen bearer of the Triforce of Power, which means that Din saw something in him that was good but was ultimately superseded by his ambitions and the curse of hatred he inherited from Demise (which is explored further in Wind Waker).

I don't think Demise is a 1:1 representation of Ganon the way people make him out to be. Anyone could inherit Demise's "curse of hatred," it just so happened that the upcoming King of the Gerudo (who also coincidentally inherited the Triforce of Power) was receptive to it, enough so that he persisted even after multiple defeats. Others have carried it too, such as Vaati, Onox, and Veren.
This is how I've always interpreted Demise and his curse.
For all intents and purpose he's the Zelda universe's devil, the Angra Mainyu to the goddesses' Ahura Mazda.
All the malice, hatred, and evil in the world essentially originates from him but isn't exactly him being reincarnated or something like that.
It's a pretty basic and simple concept in fantasy mythology, and I think it's cool to have an opposing supernatural force in the series that continues to challenge LoZ's various benevolent supernatural beings despite not entirely existing anymore.

so I just finished the game. Final fight was super fun, and the set piece post battle was also pretty awesome.

Still disappointed by the lack of storytelling, I was really hoping for more. Whats there at least feels complete. Though if I were to write a full review of this game, it would read a lot like Jim Sterling's. Minus complaints about the durability as it didnt bother me, but add in complaints about the dungeons. Shrines were often too short to be interesting, or would slap you with crappy gyro puzzles or combat trials, and the divine beasts while awesome, were way too short. I just did the lizard before finishing the game just now, and completely blind it only took me 20 minutes...

I am really impressed by the set pieces in this game though. Dark beast ganon and the entrances to the camel and elephant were super fun and well designed. Proper playable cinematic set pieces.

Still, if I were to score the game I'd toss it a 7 like Jim did, though if the performance wasnt so bad I'd bump it up to a 7.5

I wrote a longer overview of my thoughts elsewhere, figure I'll edit them in here for posterity
Horses being absurdly hard to use due to the whistle distance, rain slipping, the almost non existent stamina thats attached to way too many actions, thinks like great fairies annoyingly going away when you dont have upgrades available, forcing you to recall them back out sitting through their damn animation just to see what the next upgrade costs
and of the 120 shrines i did 70 of them, at least 11 were combat trials (boring), 5 were gyro puzzles (awful), and 8 of them just said "Congrats on making it in here, that was the puzzle" despite only 2 of them actually taking effort to get into
the other shrines were great
fun puzzles
I also really loved the divine beasts and their non linear approach to activating the terminals
however with only four of them, and even blind it only toook me 20-40 minutes to complete each one, I was left hoping for more fulfilling dungeons
other things I did really like were the set pieces to get onto the desert and zora divine beast. They were super awesome fully playable set pieces
same with the final boss fight second form
ascending hyrule castle was also really fun. The whole "Heres a crazy dangerous place, go whichever way you want to get up"
really fun picking a path to go
finally I was disappointed with the story. I'm not a huge zelda guy, so the promise of this one having a bigger focus on story was something that got me interested, but I was let down. Whats there is fine and it tells a complete story, I was just hoping for a lot more

forgot to mention stealth missions...I did 3 of them of different types, hated them all

Astral Dog

Calamity Ganon was just lame.
Just a big ugly monster that exists solely to be a big ugly monster you fight at the end of the game.
No personality, no goals, no conflict, no sign of nuance..no nothing.
Honestly Ganon didn't even need to be in this game.
I feel like the plot and story would have been more interesting if it was about one of the guardians becoming self-aware and taking over Hyrule, leaving it in the desolate state we see it in.
Link and Zelda vs medieval HAL 9000 and his spider terminators would have been pretty dope.

btw the Demise salt on the last page (and this one) is kind of hilarious.
Get bent haters. lol

This is how I've always interpreted Demise and his curse.
For all intents and purpose he's the Zelda universe's devil, the Angra Mainyu to the goddesses' Ahura Mazda.
All the malice, hatred, and evil in the world essentially originates from him but isn't exactly him being reincarnated or something like that.
It's a pretty basic and simple concept in fantasy mythology, and I think it's cool to have an opposing supernatural force in the series that continues to challenge LoZ's various benevolent supernatural beings despite not entirely existing anymore.
Okay so why is it good? Demise is a non-character Akuma ripoff who appears at the very end to announce that he will reincarnate for all eternity because he's angry. What is enriching about that, as opposed to the power of The Legend of Zelda being a myth retold again and again for new generations, with variations? It's just fan-fiction lore wank. "Ganon reappears again because Demise sez so", box checked, we now have a Logical Reason for Ganon to keep reappearing because apparently we needed that, despite the fact that this reason is not inherently interesting or enriching at all. I don't give a fuck about Demise. Skyward Sword is all tell and no show. If you're gonna build up a villain, BUILD UP A VILLAIN.

Zelda being a mortal incarnation of Hylia is maybe even dumber. We had a reason for Link, Zelda and Ganon to be important, and that's because they're inheritors of the Triforce. Okay so now Ganon is Demise, Zelda is Hylia, but Link is just a schmuck with courage, shouldn't he then also be some kind of God to be worthy of the Triforce, since Ganon and Zelda both got their Totally Awesome Lore-Filled Backstories? And if not, why not?

I'm really glad BOTW completely resisted the temptation to insert more meta-lore, if nothing else.

In conclusion, fuck Skyward Sword

Demise is worse than Calamity Ganon imo.
At least Ganon had a reason to appear, but i like your idea and yeah pretty lame how, before the three weilders of the Trifoce were relative nobodies (Ganondorf was just a petty thief that stoled the power of the Gods for himself) that had special qualities now they are reincarnatios of Gods and Champions (Link in SS is indeed a reincarnation of a previous Hero chosen by Hylia to protect her )

Though a series that long running had to explain something about Link and Zelda eventually,Ganondorf was fine as he was.

Another thing is that you cannot Rehash Ganondorf motivations again and again,it was pretty special on WW and Ocarina but he is drying up.its clear the Gerudo don't give a shit about him except for a few extremists

JoeInky

Demise wasn't really necessary because Ganondorf's story ended in 2 of the 3 timelines, they didn't need to add this reincarnating shit to explain away something that was never really a problem, because Ganondorf isn't returning anyway, you can just have new evil characters acquiring the Triforce or just causing trouble without needing Demise's malice or whatever, it doesn't add anything.

I was ok with the Hylia stuff in SS though.

Kyzon

I want the DLC to be about Ganondorf trying to free himself from Demise's Curse and inevitably creating the Calamity form of Ganon in the process.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, is there any way to play the game with the Bow of Light?

Don't suppose I can go back, do the fight and leave when I get it?

Hazu

Ok guys I need help!

I flight with the Rito guy to Van Medoh (the flying beast) and I warped back in town after that. I have no idea how to get back up there now that the Rito guy is hurt. What should I do?

Thank you!

Edzi

Ok guys I need help!

I flight with the Rito guy to Van Medoh (the flying beast) and I warped back in town after that. I have no idea how to get back up there now that the Rito guy is hurt. What should I do?

Thank you!

Pretty sure you can teleport back to it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Agreed...Skyward Sword's story made me want to punch someone. :S

023.jpg

Kill...Me... o___o

Dang it...I just spent so much time getting the Dark Link stuff. ;___;

Fuck. He's so fucked up. But you can clearly see it's Ganondorf and not some pig demon, which makes it worse. It kinda looks like he's halfway into a transformation into Dark Beast Ganon and fused with tech.

Kyzon

Ok guys I need help!

Thank you!

Any shrine can be teleported back to

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Fuck. He's so fucked up. But you can clearly see it's Ganondorf and not some pig demon, which makes it worse. It kinda looks like he's halfway into a transformation into Dark Beast Ganon and fused with tech.

Fused with the tech at least makes his corruption of all the guardians and beasts make more sense than just "LOL, MAGICK HACKING BEAMS!"

Top Bottom