• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

What are the actual Gerudo words? There seems to be a differentiation on how you greet people if they're friendly or not to you?

I got voe and vai, lol.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
What are the actual Gerudo words? There seems to be a differentiation on how you greet people if they're friendly or not to you?

I got voe and vai, lol.
I recall some of them being like "Good morning" or "Good evening"

JoeInky

Apparently they changed the timeline in the latest japanese Zelda book? Just saw it on 4chan and apparently Links Awakening and the Oracle games have had their position swapped.

Comet

In spite of some of the voice acting falling flat, and Ganon not having more of a role than big evil thing(which I honestly didn't mind, but would have liked better realized) I did like the story here. I feel like it basically being a sequel to an unreleased Zelda game where you failed as a cool idea. And I enjoyed the memory system for what it was.

I would love to play this game. It would be like Crisis Core where you know the effort results in defeat.

JoeInky

I don't remember, which comes first now?

Apparently now Link's Awakening is before the Oracles games and they're not the same Link anymore, that's what people are saying it says. E: But apparently in the instruction manual for Link's Awakening it was stated to be a sequel to aLttP so maybe they're just fixing a mistake in the original historia timeline? I don't really remember much about the 2D games in the timeline, least of all the capcom games.

Does it show Breath of the Wild's placement?

Nope.

Also am I allowed to post that image or would it come under scanned images? I assume that rule is only for game magazines but if it's not I'll remove the image.

Apparently now Link's Awakening is before the Oracles games and they're not the same Link anymore, that's what people are saying it says.

Nope.

Also am I allowed to post that image or would it come under scanned images? I assume that rule is only for game magazines but if it's not I'll remove the image.
still a scan

Kyzon

He actually looks most like Hyrule Warrior's Ganondorf. It obviously doesn't mean much though.

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-guide-how-to-defeat-calamity-ganon-the-final-boss.png

Oh no, he's literally wearing TP Ganondorf's crown and everything.

hoy1mqU.png

He has corrupted versions of the braids as well

sphagnum

Banned
Apparently they changed the timeline in the latest japanese Zelda book? Just saw it on 4chan and apparently Links Awakening and the Oracle games have had their position swapped.

That wouldn't make any sense. The Oracle games end with Link sailing off.

Kyzon

Ocarina Ganon could have looked the same after a few years

I'm saying that it seems that his headdress from Twilight Princess has fused into his head. To me it looks like the same one that was worn by that particular instance of Ganondorf's existence.

sphagnum

Banned
Whoa wait, I'm looking over the info from the Encyclopedia now and there's some weird stuff in there. The Kokiri are evolved from Hylians, what??? I had always thought they were Kikwi who took on a magic guise.

JoeInky

Yeah, that's why it wouldn't make sense, because the Hyrule Historia says that OoX takes place before LA while this new book says it's the reverse.

It's apparently because the manual for LA states that it's a sequel to aLttP, which would mean that it could be an oversight in the original timeline.

Ms.Galaxy

I mean she Zelda specifically mentions the ss, ocarina and twilight. Nothing about the other two time lines.

That's the problem, the fact she mentioned the Hero of Time and the events of Twilight Princess is a direct contraction because the events of Ocarina of Time didn't happen and no one remembers the Hero of Time. He was, for all intents and purposes, scrubbed out of the Child Timeline. His legacy not existing is one of the major reason he comes back in Twilight Princess as the Hero's Shade.

Then there's multiple references to the Sages of Ocarina of Time that only awakened in the Adult and Downfall Timelines. The King's diary mentions naming Zelda after a long tradition of the Royal Family that started sometime after Link to the Past when the Royal Family had complete open access to the Triforce and a prince accidentally cursed Zelda the 1st into a sleeping spell, vowing to name every accompanying princess "Zelda" after this tragedy. This tradition was referenced only twice in the series, Zelda 2 and Breath of the Wild.

There's some contradictions and I think we need clarification, honestly. Because right now, the game fits best in Downfall, but that line Zelda said only adds to the confusion.

one of the monument in zora's domain talks about how the divine beast was named after princess Ruto because she became a sage and helped protect the world from gannon a long time before even the divine beasts were created.

i believe this game takes place waaay down the line in the WW timeline after the ocean recedes back and people return to the land.

JoeInky

She doesn't really mention the events of Twilight Princess specifically, the Twilight Realm does exist pre-OoT and the Arbiter's Grounds exist in BotW so they can reference it without referencing TP.

I just think it's a throwaway reference personally, could also just assume that the Master Sword was involved in the interloper war described in that one TP cutscene.

sphagnum

Banned
Couldn't it be possible that there was a hero during the Era of Chaos who would have fought the Dark Interlopers who were sealed in the Twilight Realm?

Guys its so obvious how could we have missed it? Its the 4th timeline! /s

But seriously the combination of Wind, Twlight and Time heroes in one game seems to have made all the timelines merge into one which means an entirely new timeline branch.

I liked the final boss fight and the ending as a whole. Huge in scale, fun to fight, unchallenging in the way I think it should be in the classic 3D Zelda sense. It truly felt like the proper ending battle to an adventure/mission I had been training 60+ hours for. I think the memories (more specifically--finding the memories) made the narrative stand out as a whole. Rediscovering these moments alongside Link felt genuine and rewarding, especially because they were found by ME remembering the landscape. There's such an awesome sense of place in this game. It's truly amazing.

By the time I took down Ganon and saved Zelda, there's nothing much left to be said imo. We know where the story is heading as we've pieced the Link/Zelda relationship together for ourselves.

Also I'm curious to see how the story would fare if us English ppl were able to play the game from the start with Japanese (or another language) voice overs. Really hope they patch that in by the time hard mode arrives.

Ms.Galaxy

But seriously the combination of Wind, Twlight and Time heroes in one game seems to have made all the timelines merge into one which means an entirely new timeline branch.

The 4th Timeline (If they made one): Zelda doesn't send Link back to the past and when Ganon escaped, a new Hero managed to arise and prevent the great flood and then the Sheikah came back from distant lands with awesome sci-fi tech and stuff happened.

This is a hell of an easter egg (source: https://twitter.com/ZeldaDungeon/status/842025596645462016)

C6950AJV0AAhMX5.jpg

The placement of the tower, and the name on the map (ranch ruins) seals it

And no I don't think you can take any timeline shit away from this, it's just a reference

This hints that it takes place after Ocarina of Time, so the *insert one of the three timelines here* timeline!

sphagnum

Banned

It's clearly a sequel to Hyrule Warriors.

gardfish

My hot take on the timeline, inasmuch as it matters: as much as I would prefer for it to be in the downfall timeline since that makes more thematic sense, I really do think that the clues we have point more clearly to child timeline post-Twilight princess.

I've never trusted Nintendo to be consistent about the finer details of the Zelda lore, especially in easily missable side content such as that Zora journal that talks about Ruto. We have plenty of examples from over the years of similar inconsistencies in Zelda games. The "embers of twilight" line is the closest thing in the writing that helps us place the game, but that's not especially convincing on its own. I think that the many landmarks from Twilight Princess present in the game DO solidify its placement in the timeline, though, and I don't think those are easter eggs like all the places named after older characters. When we've got places like the Great Bridge of Hylia, the fountain in the center of Castle Town, and even the ruins of Arbiter's Grounds returning, those seem like clear hints that this game is meant to take place after Twilight Princess, in a much more convincing way than the comparatively esoteric knowledge that Ruto didn't technically become a sage in that timeline.

JoeInky

I must have spent 3 hours constantly resting at a fire to get a bloodmoon to show up for this shrine quest and I haven't had one yet.

Ms.Galaxy

My hot take on the timeline, inasmuch as it matters: as much as I would prefer for it to be in the downfall timeline since that makes more thematic sense, I really do think that the clues we have point more clearly to child timeline post-Twilight princess.

I've never trusted Nintendo to be consistent about the finer details of the Zelda lore, especially in easily missable side content such as that Zora journal that talks about Ruto. We have plenty of examples from over the years of similar inconsistencies in Zelda games. The "embers of twilight" line is the closest thing in the writing that helps us place the game, but that's not especially convincing on its own. I think that the many landmarks from Twilight Princess present in the game DO solidify its placement in the timeline, though, and I don't think those are easter eggs like all the places named after older characters. When we've got places like the Great Bridge of Hylia, the fountain in the center of Castle Town, and even the ruins of Arbiter's Grounds returning, those seem like clear hints that this game is meant to take place after Twilight Princess, in a much more convincing way than the comparatively esoteric knowledge that Ruto didn't technically become a sage in that timeline.

I wouldn't put much on that. Do you seriously think those landmarks would exist for 10,000 plus years? The Great Bridge in Breath of the Wild is in far greater shape than it was in Twilight Princess, it's not even the same architectural style; it's not the same bridge. The fountain is just a fountain, and while it's similar to the one in Twilight Princess, it's not the same fountain.

image.png

We have the Bridge of Eldin too, but that's just a tiny metal bridge in Death Mountain.

EVH

My take is that the devs decided to give hints of all timelines so they can enjoy and laugh at you all arguing with passion about this shit.

Edzi

My take is that the devs decided to give hints of all timelines so they can enjoy and laugh at you all arguing with passion about this shit.

It's probably this. Zelda is not Dark Souls, even if they wanted to connect everything they don't care enough to do a good job.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Zelda bizarrely invites such condescending negativity towards discussing its lore. Is it because it's a Nintendo game?

Thud

Whoa wait, I'm looking over the info from the Encyclopedia now and there's some weird stuff in there. The Kokiri are evolved from Hylians, what??? I had always thought they were Kikwi who took on a magic guise.

I think it was children lost in the forest that changed form?

Edzi

Zelda bizarrely invites such condescending negativity towards discussing its lore. Is it because it's a Nintendo game?

No, it's because the lore connecting all the games is poorly thought out and genuinely seems like an afterthought built on retcon after retcon. I hate it precisely because of how much I love Nintendo and Zelda, and we've already discussed why something like SS might actively hurt someone's enjoyment of the series.

I'm invested in the series too, so I don't think pointing out how absurd I think some of this is is being condescending.

Ms.Galaxy

I think it was children lost in the forest that changed form?

They turn into Stalchildren. I always assumed they were spirits. Maybe they are Hylian children who got lost in the forest, or abandoned in the forest, and the Great Deku Tree blessed them with eternal youth or something.

SolVanderlyn

No, it's because the lore connecting all the games is poorly thought out and genuinely seems like an afterthought built on retcon after retcon. I hate it precisely because of how much I love Nintendo and Zelda, and we've already discussed why something like SS might actively hurt someone's enjoyment of the series.
I personally loved SS and its added emphasis on story, but I do agree that I wish the connections were stronger in the games themselves. My favorite Zeldas are the ones that are explicitly connected (OoT -> TP/WW, Z1 -> AoL, LttP -> LbW, etc.)

I'm in the "Hyrule Historia was a good thing" camp because it adds that layer of continuity I'd been wanting for so long. I love Zelda lore and discussing it so it always makes me a bit sad to see people so dismissive of it.

No it's because everyone is grasping at straws that are largely imaginary and require great leaps of logic because little in the texts supports any direct connection beyond recurring thematic elements

I personally loved SS and its added emphasis on story, but I do agree that I wish the connections were stronger in the games themselves. My favorite Zeldas are the ones that are explicitly connected (OoT -> TP/WW, Z1 -> AoL, LttP -> LbW, etc.)

I'm in the "Hyrule Historia was a good thing" camp because it adds that layer of continuity I'd been wanting for so long. I love Zelda lore and discussing it so it always makes me a bit sad to see people so dismissive of it.

I await the day where we get a LOZ where Link is teaching Mini Link sword moves and encouraging him to complete his destiny to save Hyrule. Zelda can be the mother or not, its up to Nintendo.

gardfish

I'm invested in the series too, so I don't think pointing out how absurd I think some of this is is being condescending.

I disagree, there've been clear lines connecting most of the mainline Zelda games since the beginning (ALttP was intended as a prequel to the original games, then OoT was intended as a prequel to ALttP).

The silliness really comes from side games (where do the Oracles or Four Swords games fit into the timeline? Who cares!) and the approach they took to Wind Waker necessitating a split in the timeline starting with OoT.

I don't particularly care about the finer details of the timeline, but I do think it's fun to see those connections to past games.

Oddish1

No it's because everyone is grasping at straws that are largely imaginary and require great leaps of logic because little in the texts supports any direct connection beyond recurring thematic elements

People take Dark Souls lore seriously and all discussion of its lore devolves into that.

People take Dark Souls lore seriously and all discussion of its lore devolves into that.

Unlike Zelda, Dark Souls *does* support that kind of hint-searching, because it's written with great care and actually intended to be connected. There are a lot of red herrings and Miyazaki intentionally leaves things out, but it's there. Total false equivalence.

Top Bottom