• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Majukun

The three gods are named Din, Farore and Nayru. Triforce of Power is made by Din, Wisdom by Nayru and Courage Farore.
I don't know if they choose the wielders or that the triforce itself chooses it's wielder.

from what i remember from '98 the triforce works by itself,when it's touched by someone who has not a balance of power,wisdom and courage it splits,one fragment stays with the guy who touched it first,the one that represents the ideal he most believe in,while the other 2 pieces go straight to the 2 people who have the most wisdom and courage in hyrule,and from that moment them and their descendands are "branded" to carry the triforce.
of course this is not valid anymore after skyward sword ,since apparently ganon was not created by ganondorf's use of the triforce and apparently comes from demise's curse,which already linked the trio way before the triforce.
the entire point of ocarina was that ganondorf kind of cheated his way into the system by getting to the triforce by force while the other 2 were in it because worthy.

basically is a mess made up on the spot.

i was just curious about how exactly they have tried to make the whole goddess affair make sense,thanks to all those who have answered.

KiN0

I also had the theory that the Sheikah symbol had the tear drop added specifically due to flooding the world in WW, but apparently I was wrong and it was present in OoT. That would've been really cool though.
I think it's possible vah ruta or something similar was the tool they used to flood hyrule

Ms.Galaxy

The thing is, the "gods" who flooded the land in WW were called "gods" not "goddesses" so we don't actually know that people assumed it was the golden goddesses who did that. In fact, if you look at the Tower of the Gods in WW, you might see a pattern you now recognize:

It looks a lot like the Sheikah tech pattern from BotW. Which is what leads me to believe the Sheikah actually flooded the world in WW under the guise of "gods"

Also the fact that you have a robot boss in that tower should also add to that theory:

If Morrowind has taught me anything, it's to analyze in-game lore as if it was written by people in the world, rather than an outside all-knowing narrator.

It would not surprise me if this was the case.

After Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword, I'm starting to feel that the Sheikah are far more involved with the creation of the world and the Goddesses more so than the Oocca. I wouldn't be shocked if they created the Triforce itself.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The curse of Demise isn't meant to be taken so literally I think. Ganon isn't literally Demise, he inherits his curse of hatred because he's the most susceptible to it (similar to the reason he obtains the Triforce of Power - because he's the most capable recipient). Demise's hate is more of a concept than an actual character, IMO.

It would not surprise me if this was the case.

After Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword, I'm starting to feel that the Sheikah are far more involved with the creation of the world and the Goddesses more so than the Oocca. I wouldn't be shocked if they created the Triforce itself.

Yeah this is basically my headcanon. The goddesses were always a myth. The actual creation of the triforce was more like creating a super advanced computer chip like Miyamoto originally intended way back in Zelda 1, and the Sheikah were basically part of this incredibly advanced civilization way in the past who made this triforce.

Now, my fan theory which I don't think could actually be their real intent (which my headcanon I think could be) is that all of this took place on earth, rather than a fictional hyrule. The sheikah basically were an advanced civilization of humans who created the triforce that brought the attention and wrath of Demise who basically destroyed the world and started all of the Zelda stuff. It's fun to think of Zelda taking place on earth in the distance future.

nubbe

The thing is, the "gods" who flooded the land in WW were called "gods" not "goddesses" so we don't actually know that people assumed it was the golden goddesses who did that. In fact, if you look at the Tower of the Gods in WW, you might see a pattern you now recognize:

It looks a lot like the Sheikah tech pattern from BotW. Which is what leads me to believe the Sheikah actually flooded the world in WW under the guise of "gods"

Also the fact that you have a robot boss in that tower should also add to that theory:

If Morrowind has taught me anything, it's to analyze in-game lore as if it was written by people in the world, rather than an outside all-knowing narrator.

Good writing handle truth as gossip and fact free. Like how it actually works.
That's how Zelda should be approached.

History is forgotten after just a few decades without proper documentation and will eventually become legend if its impact is important enough.

13ruce

Banned
from what i remember from '98 the triforce works by itself,when it's touched by someone who has not a balance of power,wisdom and courage it splits,one fragment stays with the guy who touched it first,the one that represents the ideal he most believe in,while the other 2 pieces go straight to the 2 people who have the most wisdom and courage in hyrule,and from that moment them and their descendands are "branded" to carry the triforce.
of course this is not valid anymore after skyward sword ,since apparently ganon was not created by ganondorf's use of the triforce and apparently comes from demise's curse,which already linked the trio way before the triforce.
the entire point of ocarina was that ganondorf kind of cheated his way into the system by getting to the triforce by force while the other 2 were in it because worthy.

basically is a mess made up on the spot.

i was just curious about how exactly they have tried to make the whole goddess affair make sense,thanks to all those who have answered.

Thanks, it was a long time since i read up on Zelda Triforce lore.

The Demise stuff opened up many questions about Ganondorf being his own person or that he littarly is demise's hate/curse reincarnated. Kinda hope it is the former because that would make the character progress of Ganondorf in Wind Waker not pointless.

Smeags

I'm sure its been asked, but does the Classified Envelope do anything?

Im assuming its a picture of either Impa or Purah...

watershed

Banned
The Tower of the Gods in WWdefinitely has the same pattern as seen in the Sheikah Shrines in BOTW and the boss room looks a good bit like the shrines themselves. Interesting possible connection.

Berordn

Thanks, it was a long time since i read up on Zelda Triforce lore.

The Demise stuff opened up many questions about Ganondorf being his own person or that he littarly is demise's hate/curse reincarnated. Kinda hope it is the former because that would make the character progress of Ganondorf in Wind Waker not pointless.

Wind Waker's development of Ganondorf isn't incompatible with Demise. He's still his own person with his own motivations, Demise's hatred just means that someone's always going to be finding a way to the Triforce to put the kingdom in peril.

In Wind Waker he's still doing that, just with slightly different motivation.

Moff

Sometimes there are NPCs in the overworld that act a bit... off.

Those are assassins.

I never noticed if undisguised assassins appear at random before the hideout though.

I got them before I even finished my first divine beast, and I did gerudo desert third at like 80 hours into the game

The curse of Demise isn't meant to be taken so literally I think. Ganon isn't literally Demise, he inherits his curse of hatred because he's the most susceptible to it (similar to the reason he obtains the Triforce of Power - because he's the most capable recipient). Demise's hate is more of a concept than an actual character, IMO.

THIS! People need to stop taking the Demise curse so literally. It's more of a "history will repeat itself and there will always be someone hateful coming to destroy this world" rather than "I will literally be reborn as a different human over and over again."

All Zelda had to do was keep or smash the Ocarina of Time, and Ganondorf would not have reached the Sacred Realm and claim the Triforce, he may have been able to smash through the Door of Time, but he would never be able to pull the Master Sword to enter it.

I think that's why Zelda feels the way she does in the end, and blames herself for all this.

I mean, that's the point of the game. All the events of OoT and the timeline splits that follow are a result of a naive Zelda trying to stop Ganondorf but a divine intervention ruining her plan and causing tragedy.

I kind of love that. No good deed goes unpunished.

Toth

The Tower of the Gods in WWdefinitely has the same pattern as seen in the Sheikah Shrines in BOTW and the boss room looks a good bit like the shrines themselves. Interesting possible connection.

Could be that this is the adult timeline but another split where 100 years after OoT, the Sheikah lead by Impa helped the king of Hyrule develop the Guardians and a Link appeared among the Hylians to lead them in the battle against the revived Ganon. Without this Link however, the flooded Hyrule timeline occurred instead.

Could be that this is the adult timeline but another split where 100 years after OoT, the Sheikah lead by Impa helped the king of Hyrule develop the Guardians and a Link appeared among the Hylians to lead them in the battle against the revived Ganon. Without this Link however, the flooded Hyrule timeline occurred instead.

Again, you'd have to jump through a lot of hoops to make that fit, like somehow creating a whole new timeline.

It's just much, much easier mentally to place this in the downfall timeline. Sheikah tech would look the same regardless of the timeline.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The whole Shiekah tech/ancient advanced civilization stuff is really interesting. Even more so now that I realize it goes all the way back to Wind Waker. I'd really like to see a game where the ancient Shiekah were still active. I guess that'd make it about as far back on the timeline as BotW is forward.

I think the goddesses are real, though. The Triforce is literally magic. It grants any wish. Technology has its limits.

Astral Dog

Buut. Zelda says Ganon is Hate incarnate
FSA calls him Ancient Demon Reborn

SolVanderlyn

I think transforming into a giant boar after being incorrectly resurrected and beaten into a pulp beforehand might pull out the curse into a pure manifestation of itself. That is entirely his spirit at that point, which had been corrupted by Demise beforehand, and he's completely taken over by his emotions.

That's my take on it, anyway.

FSA he is a reborn Ganon, the only case where he was reincarnated, IIRC.

Astral Dog

I think transforming into a giant boar after being incorrectly resurrected and beaten into a pulp beforehand might pull out the curse into a pure manifestation of itself. That is entirely his spirit at that point, which had been corrupted by Demise beforehand, and he's completely taken over by his emotions.

That's my take on it, anyway.

FSA he is a reborn Ganon, the only case where he was reincarnated, IIRC.
To me it seems like they are hinting Ganondorf was always part "demon" himself,and not just became one after taking the Triforce. Because he is part of Demise though not exactly the same.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yes, now. After years centuries of dying, resurrecting and giving in to the rage.... there's not much of Ganondorf left.

EDIT:
To me it seems like they are hinting Ganondorf was always part "demon" himself,and not just became one after taking the Triforce. Because he is part of Demise though not exactly the same.
I mean, even as Ganondorf without the Triforce he was an accomplished sorcerer that summoned "demons", managed to kill the guardian of the forests, poisoned the Zora god and managed to effectively starve the Gorons.

m051293

/u/CrystalVivian on reddit used the flight game to measure the actual map size. Comes out to ~74.8 km^2

sSnvwPw.png

So for all the Witcher 3 comparisons:
Also Witcher 3 (with all DLC), for reference, is 54.3 km^2 before we subtract the invisible borders.

Also, on Witcher 3's 136km^2 misinformation:

The incorrect 136 km^2 figure comes from the slide linked in this post. The slide (pg. 46) refers to the rendered area in two of the game's sub-regions, Novigrad/Velen (8.5kmx8.5km) and Skellige (8kmx8km), *for the purposes of the project being described in the presentation*. NOT the playable area of the game. If you do play the game, it would be evident that those figures are completely irrelevant to anything in-game. Especially given that in-game, the larger sub-region is the one that had the smaller rendered area in the above model.

In the actual game, those same two sub-regions have an actual area (as given by the in-game distances) of 28.9 km^2 (Skellige) and 15.2 km^2 (Novigrad/Velen/HOSDLC). And those figures *include* out-of-bounds areas that are past the invisible walls (which would be difficult to measure as they are not uniform).

Witcher 3 is massive; I've spent now ~1000 hours across 3.5 files and the expansions. They've struck a remarkable balance in reconciling scale and content for immersion relative to other fantasy ARPGs (not packed with cities like Skyrim, reasonable distances between villages, etc.). I'd recommend this video discussing the brilliance of the world design. But it's not >136 km^2 (there are three other smaller sub-regions and then another huge one added with the B&W DLC/Expansion).

NOTE: Both games have invisible borders on the edge that shave off a bit fro. those numbers for effective map area.

Toth

Again, you'd have to jump through a lot of hoops to make that fit, like somehow creating a whole new timeline.

It's just much, much easier mentally to place this in the downfall timeline. Sheikah tech would look the same regardless of the timeline.

Is the Downfall timeline the one where Link loses to Ganon in OoT? If so, I can see this working. That implies the Sheikah technology boon occurred after the events of Zelda II and this is 10,000 years after?

Is the Downfall timeline the one where Link loses to Ganon in OoT? If so, I can see this working. That implies the Sheikah technology boon occurred after the events of Zelda II and this is 10,000 years after?

Yeah, that's basically the idea. It's a soft reboot in a way, as 10,000 years post AoL is so far removed from the rest of the series it's basically starting anew.

HF2014

Ok, i want to fight some red or blue Lynel, but every spot i go, i just see White-Mane one or Silver. Only one i was able to find which was red was the spot near Zora. In Akkala plains, few days ago there was a blue one, but now both there are now white-mane. Its a bit frustrating because the white one smoke me, when i have a challenge beating blue and red one, and i want these parts to do armor upgrade...

Is there a spot i can find some? Iv look online, to check the spot of spawn, and everywhere they are freakin white...

RagnarokX

someone who is more savvy than me about the lore,can tell me what exactly are the three goddesses now?
in ocarina of time they were the creators of hyrule and the triforce..but now we have this hylia chick which is trewated like the only real important goddess and the three goddesses are barely mentioned in the game.

This is my headcannon. Long ago, long before the events of Skyward Sword, there existed a race of technologically gifted people who became known as the gods/goddesses. They created a utopian civilization with their technology, culminating in their greatest creation: the Triforce. The Triforce is a highly advanced computer capable of granting wishes (which has become a thing in 2 other Nintendo properties as well Xenoblade and Kirby). This led to the downfall of their civilization, as the absolute power of the Triforce drew evil to it. The goddesses decided to leave the world and let their friends, the Sheikah, handle things, but one stayed behind (Hylia). Pretty much everything associated with the goddesses throughout the series has been advanced ancient technology. Though they do actually have magical powers.

Gods/goddesses is used interchangeably. The Triforce is The "Triforce of the Gods" and Link is the "Hero Chosen by the Gods."

And it's important to note that Hyrule is lose with the god term. Deities aren't necessarily all-powerful beings like we assume from our Western perspective. Deku Tree, Lord Jabu Jabu (Jabun), Valoo, the wind frogs, etc are all considered gods. Despite being considered "immortals" they are actually mortal.

Another point is that the Zora say that Vah Ruta is capable of producing an infinite supply of water and they are concerned that if it isn't stopped it will flood the entire world ;)

Incarnate just means "in the flesh" and is used very commonly figuratively. Demise's curse isn't literal. He says an incarnation of his hatred will follow Link and Zelda's descendants. He's basically just saying "There will always be evil people." Ganondorf is full of hatred, so he's figuratively hatred in the flesh.

Gods/goddesses is used interchangeably. The Triforce is The "Triforce of the Gods" and Link is the "Hero Chosen by the Gods."

And it's important to note that Hyrule is lose with the god term. Deities aren't necessarily all-powerful beings like we assume from our Western perspective. Deku Tree, Lord Jabu Jabu (Jabun), Valoo, the wind frogs, etc are all considered gods. Despite being considered "immortals" they are actually mortal.

In Wind Waker people discuss the "gods" who flooded the world and the "goddess statues" which represent Din, Farore and Nayru. I get that the terms can be used interchangeably in real life but the writers specifically chose to use the word "gods" for one thing (including the tower of the gods) and goddesses for another. Add to that the fact that the golden goddesses supposedly left the world after creating it, so why would they even bother coming back to flood it?

And as for the deities, don't they always refer to them as that- deities? Rather than gods? Again this could just be splitting hairs but I always understood them as just sorta locally worshiped powerful beings, rather than gods.

I do agree with your headcanon though more or less. I don't know if the Sheikah were these gods' friends or their descendants, but clearly a lot of their culture and technology was passed to the Sheikah.

HF2014

Ok , i have to stop chickening lol, i just beaten two white-mane Lynel. Not really that hard, just need food to heal up.

SolVanderlyn

Hyrule and especially the planet it's on have been around for a long ass time, haven't they.

Omfg the game just freeze for the first time right when i was fighting a Lynel...
Actual gif of Moblin encounter

latest

Opa-Pa

The Wind Waker talk reminded me... Has anyone come up with a theory about why Cherry looks just like those statues in Wind Waker? The ones that held the goddesses orbs.

Actual gif of Moblin encounter

latest

"Honestly performance is fine, you guys! Nothing that gets in the way of gameplay, I swear".

Skeletos311

I just beat Ganon again after getting all the memories and got the extra scene at the end. Zelda and Link are going to go around Hyrule doing things, so I hope that's what the big DLC will be about.

Oh yeah, Moblins are the worst. The game freezes for a solid couple of seconds sometimes.

Astral Dog

In Wind Waker people discuss the "gods" who flooded the world and the "goddess statues" which represent Din, Farore and Nayru. I get that the terms can be used interchangeably in real life but the writers specifically chose to use the word "gods" for one thing (including the tower of the gods) and goddesses for another. Add to that the fact that the golden goddesses supposedly left the world after creating it, so why would they even bother coming back to flood it?

And as for the deities, don't they always refer to them as that- deities? Rather than gods? Again this could just be splitting hairs but I always understood them as just sorta locally worshiped powerful beings, rather than gods.

I do agree with your headcanon though more or less. I don't know if the Sheikah were these gods' friends or their descendants, but clearly a lot of their culture and technology was passed to the Sheikah.
I think the light spurit said the Goddesses were also behind the Twili Realm.so they definetly mess with mortal affairs from time to time

Incarnate just means "in the flesh" and is used very commonly figuratively. Demise's curse isn't literal. He says an incarnation of his hatred will follow Link and Zelda's descendants. He's basically just saying "There will always be evil people." Ganondorf is full of hatred, so he's figuratively hatred in the flesh.
Hmm. Does this explain why Demise was designed to look like Ganondorf

I just beat Ganon again after getting all the memories and got the extra scene at the end. Zelda and Link are going to go around Hyrule doing things, so I hope that's what the big DLC will be about.

Oh yeah, Moblins are the worst. The game freezes for a solid couple of seconds sometimes.

DLC will be Mipha's spirit haunting Zelda for getting too close to Link :p

RagnarokX

So I posted a reddit thread about the Door of Time in the throne room of Hyrule Castle.
JIItSqFh.jpg

Someone pointed out that the outer ring of the gate of time appears around the seal in the center of the Sacred Grounds:
59b729a35a5c1b19f50f39e8a67899cb.jpg

And I pointed out that that this seal also appears in the center of the throne room's floor on a bigger scale:
ULbxAheh.jpg

And in the Temple of Time on a smaller scale:
0SVBnzbh.jpg

And it's probably noteworthy that the one in Hyrule Castle is a literal door to the ancient lab below.

Damn first form Ganon was AWESOME

Final boss rankings

1. OOT, just really well done
2. LTTP
3. BOTW
4. is a major toss up as Ive forgotten a lotta of the zelda boss fights. I played through ALBW recently and that was really charming especially the last arrow shot. PH I recall having a great final boss. TP I didnt really enjoy. SS was cool looking but easy. WW I dont recall besides him turning to stone. dont remember MC. Im playing through MM right now so we'll see how that goes.

Skyward Sword's is much harder if you
dont realize you can hold your sword up and get a lightning blast and instead try to guard/parry/etc the whole fight.

I'm just glad I wasn't the only person who did that.

Vic_Viper

So tired of constantly getting 2 handed swords/claymores. Finally ready to get the master sword and already got the shield!

How does the master sword work? What happens if it breaks and what do I do to repair it if possible?

Skeletos311

So tired of constantly getting 2 handed swords/claymores. Finally ready to get the master sword and already got the shield!

How does the master sword work? What happens if it breaks and what do I do to repair it if possible?

It doesn't "break". It runs out of energy and regenerates in about 20-30 minutes.

Kneefoil

Skyward Sword's is much harder if you
dont realize you can hold your sword up and get a lightning blast and instead try to guard/parry/etc the whole fight.

I'm just glad I wasn't the only person who did that.

I'm in that club too, kinda.
I did try to Skyward Strike/catch lightning with my sword, but when I tried to do that the game didn't register it properly, so my sword never caught lightning. That lead me to think that you simply couldn't do that in the fight, so I ended up parrying and damage boosting my way through that fight. I got through it the first try, but I still thought the fight was stupid.

I'm in that club too, kinda.
I did try to Skyward Strike/catch lightning with my sword, but when I tried to do that the game didn't register it properly, so my sword never caught lightning. That lead me to think that you simply couldn't do that in the fight, so I ended up parrying and damage boosting my way through that fight. I got through it the first try, but I still thought the fight was stupid.

That's a bummer because when you do the final strike, having gotten the lightning before, lightning hits the sword in mid-air before Link deals the final blow. It's sick as fuuuuuuuck

greelay

It cannot break, but it can run out of energy if you use it outside of a dungeon. And then you just have to wait until it recharges before you can use it again.

Vic_Viper

It cannot break, but it can run out of energy if you use it outside of a dungeon. And then you just have to wait until it recharges before you can use it again.

Wait, what's this about it runs out of energy when used outside a dungeon? It can be used anywhere right?

Kneefoil

Wait, what's this about it runs out of energy when used outside a dungeon? It can be used anywhere right?

Yeah, but when it runs out of energy, it becomes unusable until it has recharged. Basically, it can break, but it never leaves your inventory and will eventually become usable again on its own.

Crayolan

It has durability and will "break", but over time it recharges so you never permanently lose it.

When inside a dungeon it doubles in power and has infinite(?) durability.

Top Bottom