• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

RagnarokX

Regardless of the timeline, here's one significant plot hole: why hasn't Hyrule progressed AT ALL in 10,000 years? In all that time, they still haven't progressed into the Industrial Revolution?

In Spirit Tracks New Hyrule had a realistic progression into an Industrial Revolution. Fans lost their shit thinking it was anachronistic and shit all over it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In Spirit Tracks New Hyrule had a realistic progression into an Industrial Revolution. Fans lost their shit thinking it was anachronistic and shit all over it.
Fans ruining franchises as usual smh

Where's our story in BotW? Gone cause they all complained about SS's better story

Thank yourselves, you played yourself.gif

Golnei

Malefiganon

He was raised by witches - and their fashion sense has rubbed off on him before.

latest

Also the other explanation would be that the end of the game would have been utterly depressing if you win but then Zelda proceeds to rapidly age and die (or just SS Impa's herself into fading into fireflies), because not only would there be nothing left of Hyrule, there'd be nothing left of Link's attempt to rescue Zelda. He'd have walked away from "victory" with basically nothing but a bunch of dead friends, not even MM was that sober in its conclusion.

Sure he saves Hyrule, but he's not really of much personal value to anyone in the world any more. He's a hero that saves everyone but, then, after he does so everyone pretty much moves on with their day to day lives anyway. Barring having made friends with Sidon and Riju, he's basically got nothing else. Zelda being alive at least gives him some attachment to Hyrule, and his quest gets to continue in now working with Zelda to rebuild what was lost.

That could have easily been remedied by explaining that even Sheikah technology can't properly revive the dead, and that Link's resurrected body was destined to break down fairly quickly. The game would still end on a hopeful note; with the previous generation's mess finally being cleaned up and Hyrule free to move on, and the Champions, Link and Zelda reunited in a role similar to OoT's sages.

Though for that to properly work, this incarnation of Ganon would have to be established to be definitively disposed of, not just sealed...

R0ckman

Where's our story in BotW? Gone cause they all complained about SS's better story

If the story wasn't a bunch of memories and everyone wasnt dead, I would think it was the best Zelda story yet.

Vena

That could have easily been remedied by explaining that even Sheikah technology can't properly revive the dead, and that Link's resurrected body was destined to break down fairly quickly. The game would still end on a hopeful note; with the previous generation's mess finally being cleaned up and Hyrule free to move on, and the Champions, Link and Zelda reunited in a role similar to OoT's sages.

Though for that to properly work, this incarnation of Ganon would have to be established to be definitively disposed of, not just sealed...

Is Link actually fully dead? I was under the impression he was on the brink of death but never completely and utterly dead.

Majukun

Regardless of the timeline, here's one significant plot hole: why hasn't Hyrule progressed AT ALL in 10,000 years? In all that time, they still haven't progressed into the Industrial Revolution?

you talk like progressing through the industrial revolution is a matter of time, industrial revolution only happened in europe,and specific parts of europe,the rest of the world was full of civilizations that were nowhere near an "industrial revolution" despite being maybe on earth for more time than the ones who were responsible for technological advancement.
Is Link actually fully dead? I was under the impression he was on the brink of death but never completely and utterly dead.

and you are right,the chamber is a healing chamber,not a resurection one..otherwise you would think the king would have being placed in one asap

I mean, when you're as cataclysm prone as Hyrule it's not very surprising, massive floods, invading beings from other dimensions, not to mention this little guy called Ganon that keeps coming back and bombing the civilization back into the stone age.

Toth

you talk like progressing through the industrial revolution is a matter of time, industrial revolution only happened in europe,and specific parts of europe,the rest of the world was full of civilizations that were nowhere near an "industrial revolution" despite being maybe on earth for more time than the ones who were responsible for technological advancement.

and you are right,the chamber is a healing chamber,not a resurection one..otherwise you would think the king would have being placed in one asap

Well I didnt mean to get that deep into it lol. I am just saying that 10,000 years is a very long time and yet nothing has appeared to change in Hyrule. Look how fast our world went in only 500 years. They already had phenomenal technology from the Sheikah too.

I mean, when you're as cataclysm prone as Hyrule it's not very surprising, massive floods, invading beings from other dimensions, not to mention this little guy called Ganon that keeps coming back and bombing the civilization back into the stone age.

I understand that but according to the game, Ganon had been sealed for 10,000 years.

Bahaha, you're gonna riff on fans ruining franchises and then bring up Skyward Sword to BoTW?

We fuckin' SAVED the franchise my friend, If Skyward Sword wasn't so damn objectively awful we might not have gotten such a paradigm shift for several more years.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Bahaha, you're gonna riff on fans ruining franchises and then bring up Skyward Sword to BoTW?

We fuckin' SAVED the franchise my friend, If Skyward Sword wasn't so damn objectively awful we might not have gotten such a paradigm shift for several more years.
BotW is my GotY so far and I have to say I sorely miss the better elements from SS (which I also love). It is far from objectively awful, it was one of my favorite games last gen.

You could look at OTL history and ask pretty much the same thing. An industrial revolution is not some guarantee.

RagnarokX

BotW is my GotY so far and I have to say I sorely miss the better elements from SS (which I also love). It is far from objectively awful, it was one of my favorite games last gen.

Better dungeons, better character development, a soundtrack. Seriously, SS had some of the best dungeons in the series. BotW has had a few good shrines, but mostly I'm left saying "that's it?"

Golnei

I think he was just gravely injured in BoTW itself, my point was that there was room to use the 'incomplete resurrection' angle to have an ending that doesn't separate Link and Zelda in a version of the story in which she doesn't survive.

Well I didnt mean to get that deep into it lol. I am just saying that 10,000 years is a very long time and yet nothing has appeared to change in Hyrule. Look how fast our world went in only 500 years. They already had phenomenal technology from the Sheikah too.

I understand that but according to the game, Ganon had been sealed for 10,000 years.

The robots they found in the mountain were 10,000 years I think. So the technologically advanced society fell 10,000 years ago which makes you correct that 10,000 years has passed since any real technological improvement.

I guess it's possible that when they fell, they fell hard and society essentially started from year zero. Some apocalyptic war with Ganon or something.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
That screenshot looks like its Link's hand from Skyward Sword or something. Zelda is in her white dress outfit in BOTW when she saves Link no?
I think they mean that a visage of the triforce on someone's hand in a Zelda game, does not mean they carry even a single piece of the triforce.

I thought the story was very weak in this game. I expected this, really, because it seemed they were only focused on making this open world work, but the trailer gave me hope that it'd actually be decent, because they show all these characters and cutscenes, as if the story is very involved. Unfortunately it wasn't. Setting the story in the past like this was just a mistake IMO. To me it comes off as an emergency measure they came up with because they couldn't figure out a better way to implement the story in an open world game like this.

Honestly I think I'd enjoy the story more if Zelda did indeed die at the end, joined up with her father and the other ghosts, with link just living the rest of his life in solitude in a cabin in the forests, as humanity slowly rebuilds the castle. But I guess they couldn't because there's DLC coming.

AGoodODST

So I'm just entering this thread as I just beat the game.

Breath of the Wild must take place at the very end of the timeline right? What with Zelda saying Ganon gives up his ability to reincarnate to turn into Mega Pig mode.

Explanation there is that she's not corporeal for 100 years, she's pretty much in stasis along with Ganon's physical form for 100 years. I thought that was explained all in all, since she's effectively nothing more than a beacon of light until you actually free her from within Ganon's corrupted essence. There is no Zelda just as there is no "Ganondorf" in physical form until you make it to Hyrule and Zelda's power fails to contain the beast any longer.

Also the other explanation would be that the end of the game would have been utterly depressing if you win but then Zelda proceeds to rapidly age and die (or just SS Impa's herself into fading into fireflies), because not only would there be nothing left of Hyrule, there'd be nothing left of Link's attempt to rescue Zelda. He'd have walked away from "victory" with basically nothing but a bunch of dead friends, not even MM was that sober in its conclusion.

Sure he saves Hyrule, but he's not really of much personal value to anyone in the world any more. He's a hero that saves everyone but, then, after he does so everyone pretty much moves on with their day to day lives anyway. Barring having made friends with Sidon and Riju, he's basically got nothing else. Zelda being alive at least gives him some attachment to Hyrule, and his quest gets to continue in now working with Zelda to rebuild what was lost.
Oh yeah I get the 'happy ending' aspect of why she didn't just drop dead or anything but I feel like while the explanation you gave is some kind of one, I didn't notice anything in the game that really felt like it stated as much. The voice I just assumed was her speaking to you through her power.

In Skyward Sword Zelda uses the same sealing power of the goddess to seal Demise for 1,000 years without aging.
Huh, fair enough. Admittedly Skyward Sword is the only Zelda I didn't complete so I didn't see that far into it. While I mostly enjoyed it, the backtracking over the 3 zones, even with the environmental changes made me tire of it before I got to demise or the reveal of Ghirahim being a sword like Fi :/

Plum

Just finished the game. Thoughts about the ending:

- "People you helped showing up before the final boss to cheer you on" is my fucking jam. Seeing Ganon's health bar just completely destroyed like that was worth the entire Divine Beast questline alone
- Calamity Ganon was a relatively easy, but still brilliant fight. Timing those flurry rushes when he shields himself and getting in those final few hits was satisfying af
- Ganon being a setpiece battle didn't bother me as we get a proper battle as well
- I was an idiot and skipped the credits so I missed all the spirits looking down from Hyrule Castle. Not a big problem, but developers need to stop tying in post-credits scenes to skip-able credits
- The credits just consisting of previous tracks in the game was highly disappointing
- The after-credits "true ending" felt like a fitting end to the game. Liked the Fi reference, and love that it keeps the series open for new things down the line.

watershed

Banned
Just finished the game. Thoughts about the ending:

- "People you helped showing up before the final boss to cheer you on" is my fucking jam. Seeing Ganon's health bar just completely destroyed like that was worth the entire Divine Beast questline alone
- Calamity Ganon was a relatively easy, but still brilliant fight. Timing those flurry rushes when he shields himself and getting in those final few hits was satisfying af
- Ganon being a setpiece battle didn't bother me as we get a proper battle as well
- I was an idiot and skipped the credits so I missed all the spirits looking down from Hyrule Castle. Not a big problem, but developers need to stop tying in post-credits scenes to skip-able credits
- The credits just consisting of previous tracks in the game was highly disappointing
- The after-credits "true ending" felt like a fitting end to the game. Liked the Fi reference, and love that it keeps the series open for new things down the line.
What was the Fi reference?

Formless

Just beat Ganon. I kinda cheesed the castle by climbing/using waterfalls as I'd already gone up to the main room through the main trail/underground, probably should've done it again but Guardians are annoying. I thought the last battle was great though not sure what the optimal way to beat phase 1 is.

Also the ending was epic. Beast Ganon reminded me of Shin Godzilla, though it should've been harder I viewed it as just stopping a force of nature vs Ganon at that point actually attacking Link directly.

Plum

So I'm just going through the other pages and, do you have to fight all 4 "blight" Ganon forms before fighting Calamity Ganon if you haven't done the Divine Beasts?

Opa-Pa

So I'm just going through the other pages and, do you have to fight all 4 "blight" Ganon forms before fighting Calamity Ganon if you haven't done the Divine Beasts?

I first made it to Ganon when I had only beaten one blight, and one I hadn't beaten welcomed me in the room and I had to fight it right there (the actual room, not the underground lab) which I found pretty cool. So I guess yeah, you probably have to fight all the brights you're missing.

tsumineko

I've finished the game. It is exceptional, truly one of the best games ever made. However I am extremely disappointed about the lack of real dungeons. Best game I've played since The Witcher 3 no doubt, but I hope they bring back dungeons for the next Zelda game. What a masterpiece though! Zelda as a character is fantastic, she really made the game.

Plum

His house in Hateno Village can double as a depression cabin with the right decor.

tumblr_inline_ondw3kKTtP1rhyz5s_1280.png

Are you me? I did the exact same thing and put everything in the exact same position.

Though it makes sense. Link should keep some trophies to claim his place as the one true Champion keep some sentimental value in the place.

Edzi

Are you me? I did the exact same thing and put everything in the exact same position.

Though it makes sense. Link should keep some trophies to claim his place as the one true Champion keep some sentimental value in the place.

Pretty sure most players with the house did the same thing, to avoid their special weapons succumbing to the game's ridiculous durability system.

So I'm just entering this thread as I just beat the game.

Breath of the Wild must take place at the very end of the timeline right? What with Zelda saying Ganon gives up his ability to reincarnate to turn into Mega Pig mode.

It's a little unclear. The compendium entry for Calamity Ganon says something along the lines of, "He was hibernating in a cocoon to revert to his physical form when Link interrupted him, forcing him to face the hero in an incomplete state." And I think in the German version, Zelda's line isn't, "He has given up on reincarnation," but rather, "He has given up on becoming human."

So I think we need to look at what that line is in the Japanese version and try to decipher what translation is closest.

Edit: The Japanese line is: &#12405;&#12387;&#12363;&#12388;&#12434;&#12354;&#12365;&#12425;&#12417;&#12394;&#12356;&#12418;&#12358;&#12397;&#12435;&#12363;&#12425;&#12412;&#12358;&#12381;&#12358;&#12375;&#12383;&#12377;&#12364;&#12383;, and apparently &#12405;&#12387;&#12363;&#12388; means resurrection

Blues1990

Whatever the DLC may contain down the road, I hope we get to slay Ganon as a blue boar wielding a trident. That's all I want, really.

OoT Link looks so good in this game. How I imagine WW Link looking all grown up.
You can literally see WW Link all grown up 1) in WW itself but also 2) if you collect the Cap/Tunic/Pants of the Wind from the Wind Waker amiibo :D

Just completed it and was wondering how I managed to miss Epona and the green tunic. I hope everyone else had the same reaction when I saw the answer after Googling it. I'm probably 70 pages late but don't care, that is really crass.
Green tunic is in the game already, no amiibo required. Just have to beat all 120 shrines. Only the retro tunics based on old Link designs are locked behind amiibo.

I'll give you Epona being locked behind an amiibo as being shitty, though.

did i miss something or was the Triforce never really mentioned? I mean i know we see it a bunch on other things, but at least in my play through, i don't remember the word even ever being mentioned...
I noticed this too. It's on some designs of course but I don't remember them talking about it at all. I don't think I even noticed its absence though until the final battle when the Triforce's glowing outline appears, don't remember what part but it's during the final Ganon horseback fight I think? I saw it and was like "Oh shit the Triforce I.. haven't heard about that at all yet???"

watershed

Banned
I'm fascinated by the lack of Triforce in this game. Its interesting to me that Nintendo de-emphasized what had been one of the central elements of the franchise. Link is not on a Triforce hunt, it's not the focus or even explicitly mentioned in any of the flashbacks or scroll scenes. Very intentional choice by Nintendo.

RagnarokX

I'm fascinated by the lack of Triforce in this game. Its interesting to me that Nintendo de-emphasized what had been one of the central elements of the franchise. Link is not on a Triforce hunt, it's not the focus or even explicitly mentioned in any of the flashbacks or scroll scenes. Very intentional choice by Nintendo.

They minimalized the Triforce in Twilight Princess, too. It plays a passive role in the story. Ganondorf isn't trying to collect the pieces he doesn't have.

watershed

Banned
The Koroks, their designs, their voices. and in particular the 2 shops and 1 bed they set up just for Link are the cutest fucking things. I've got these little forest spirits gathering vegetables just for me to help me save Hyrule. So Ghibli and so cute.

RagnarokX

The Koroks, their designs, their voices. and in particular the 2 shops and 1 bed they set up just for Link are the cutest fucking things. I've got these little forest spirits gathering vegetables just for me to help me save Hyrule. So Ghibli and so cute.

Considering koroks are tricksters they probably just told you that so you'd spend the rupees on that stuff you wouldn't normally spend them on. And you fell for it! :p

So I just beat the final boss.

I did only one dungeon (Ruta), but got 13/13 of Impa's memories, but not the Urbosa/Daruk ones. Did I still get the secret ending?

HF2014

Ok! I just beaten two Silver Lynel in a row. And god, i got a Silver Lynel Sword, 1h , with 100 damage! Anyone found better? Man i just dont want to use it lol.

Top Bottom