• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred Symbols |OT| PS, I Still Love You

cormack12

Gold Member
X58PRKd.png

Sacred Symbols is a weekly show all about PS5, PS4, PS Vita, and PSVR. Co-hosted by games industry veteran Colin Moriarty and comedian Chris "Ray Gun" Maldonado, Sacred Symbols aims to both inform and entertain, going through the news of the day, scouring the most recent games, and taking plenty of questions and comments from the audience. New episodes post each Friday. To get early access to each episode, support the show on Patreon at patreon.com/colinslaststand

Been listening to some of these on the way in, it lasts me a couple days commute and they're pretty decent. Big backlog to go through as well if you're new. I'm not usually a podcast/youtube watcher - I don't watch any of the youtube of CLS but for the commute and travelling compliments the spotify 'discover weekly'. Thought it might be an idea to have a thread for the wider topics touched on.

drganon

It's a great podcast. I've been listening to it pretty much every week since its started. It's cool to listen to guys who actually enjoy playing and talking about games unlike other podcasts. I dont always agree with Colin, but I wont deny the guys got great knowledge of the industry. Chris is cool too. He and colin have developed a good rapport over the time the show has been on.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's a great podcast. I've been listening to it pretty much every week since its started. It's cool to listen to guys who actually enjoy playing and talking about games unlike other podcasts. I dont always agree with Colin, but I wont deny the guys got great knowledge of the industry. Chris is cool too. He and colin have developed a good rapport over the time the show has been on.

Yep, though I do think they could be a bit more critical about Sony's ignorance especially relating to their continued censorship. But overall still one of the better gaming podcasts these days.

I don't listen as much as i used to, but I still do at times and think that Colin's viewpoint is unique and true on so many points. I to this day hate what happened between him and Greg. Keep hoping that they will reconcile and bring back the best team of videogame journalism!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nice thread. I enjoy the show a lot. I'm glad to see it doing so well. Especially with how the industry has treated Colin.

Bryank75

Banned
About time we had a thread for it... I haven't been listening quite as much the last couple weeks but news has been kinda slow recently. Mostly just speculation and I guess if Colin knows something he can't risk saying it.

Anyway, the podcast is awesome and I need to catch up.
I often wonder if Chris is enough of a PlayStation fan or has enough knowledge of the platform but then again he does balance Colin a bit by offering an outside perspective.

At least the both have things of value to say, unlike most other places in gaming commentary.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't listen as much as i used to, but I still do at times and think that Colin's viewpoint is unique and true on so many points. I to this day hate what happened between him and Greg. Keep hoping that they will reconcile and bring back the best team of videogame journalism!

Greg is one of the worst in video game journalism, you kiddin? He is a blatantly biased and rabid fanboy who will excuse even the worst shit as long as he can continue to get perks in the industry. He has no principles to stand by.

Enjay

Banned
I started listening when pax cancelled their appearance for a little while but then realized they don't really have a lot to talk about.

TYRiAX

Sacred Symbols (and SSplus) are the only gaming podcast I really listen to.

I used to listen to the DLC podcast as well but i felt they got too spoilery when talking about new games they play.

All other gaming podcasts that Ive tried I generally find insufferable for various reasons...

i really dislike the other guy on that podcast. and i really dont love gaming podcasts anymore. there are barely BARELY any game news to talk about. so why bother?

44alltheway

I listen to both this and the PS podcast on Kinda funny. I have issues with both.

Both shows have an issue where the other person (Chris and Blessing) seem to agree or just not be as knowledgeable as the main host. I know I'm not the only one who misses the Greg and Colin dynamic. They were both so knowledgeable and had different viewpoints.

Now focussing on Sacred Symbols, I wish they would cover more PS news. I feel that it is more of a general gaming news podcast, but I guess there is not enough PS news to cover at the moment. Let me know what you all think! I'm thinking of subscribing to Colin's Patreon in order to hear Sacred Symbols+, but would be interested to hear what other people think of it first.

Greg is one of the worst in video game journalism, you kiddin? He is a blatantly biased and rabid fanboy who will excuse even the worst shit as long as he can continue to get perks in the industry. He has no principles to stand by.
You are right on every level. Greg is biased and a fanboy but those characteristics are beholden to all of us at some level. I have biased to considering the 16-bit and 32-bit era as my favorite time as a gamer and I am a rabid Sega fan (Come at me!). Personally though, i appreciated the comradery that existed between Colin and Greg when they worked together. I felt they played off each other's strengths and weaknesses really well. That's what drew me to watching Kinda Funny in the early days and watching them on PSXOXO. But since the "break-up" (or backstabbing depending on who you ask) Greg has chosen to go with the crowd and not stand on anything firm. Colin has done well for himself, and while Chris does well with Colin and many like him, he's not my favorite. I miss the old Colin and Greg but i guess that's another bias i have...missing the retro.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just got done with episode #89 - quite interesting. They talked about whether or not targeting E3 at consumers rather than the industry has led to this backlash and apathy around the event now. Was it a safe haven from the consumers and people don't like it? The level of investment and care has just dropped off a cliff face and it sounds like the are hitning the general public audience may have led to that.

Talked about TLoU series and how they didn't really want it to be about Joel/Ellie. They feel that story is done, and it would be better to start original with maybe a story about the frieflies, or with the coronavirus being current affairs seeing the fallout of society. Was quite a good chat but they don't just want ana daption of Joel/Ellie they want a more sustainable arc for the series.

Discussed about GoT and how they feel Sony is sending it out to die, or at least not giving it breathing space. They did make some god points to support this, announcing them then letting TLoU2 take the limelight, then additionally just as the story trailer dropped revealed the HBO show. They just don't feel they are sjowing the IP the resepct it should have I guess.

decisions

I still enjoy the show, but I have become a bit annoyed at how it seems that things that organically come up in the conversation are dismissed because they are topics that will appear on a Sacred Symbols + paid episode. It really annoyed me over the past few months whenever GOT or TLOU2 came up, and it's proof that the standard show would be better off if Sacred Symbols + was never introduced, which I don't think was part of the intention of creating SS+.

Moreover, it seems that they've also created an entire 30+ minute segment out of off-topic rambling in the beginning of the show now. While I do find this kind of stuff enjoyable from time to time, it really does feel like in the past few months they drag it out artificially to keep the more quality gaming discussion in SS+ episodes.

Like I said I still listen every week and enjoy it for the most part, however if State of the Arc was still going consistently (it's only had a few sporadically released episodes since COVID-19), I would definitely say that it would have long since replaced SS as my favorite gaming podcast.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The best gaming podcast deserves a more active thread. Let's go guys. Also, check out Defining Duke for a more Xbox centered pod. All under Colin's umbrella.

Keihart

Stumbled upon Colin's discussion on the Sony situation, i feel very similarly and think that his phrasing sums it up really well. Paraphrasing, Japan Studio was the seasoning of Playstation, the flavor of Playstation, without it, it's never going to be the same.

Last edited:

Keihart

More xbox propaganda right?

Edit: If anyone is too young to know. Colin was one of the founders of the biggest gaming podcast (Podcast Beyond!) and known PlayStation fan, this is a clip from Sacred Symbols, arguably the biggest PS podcast.

Not a random youtube clickbait channel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom