• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sad Affleck Video Has Been Taken Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is still fair use and parody and they still took it down? Youtube's system is totally broken yet they still haven't fixed it. Sorry to hear betty because that video was making strides across all social media.

Because the problems are of virtually no impact to them. They're too massive to give a fuck, as screwed up as it is.

Cheerilee

But he's not getting any recognition for the initial video. His video got pulled down, and now anyone with a mirror can have 15 minutes in the sun. Meanwhile, "Sad Affleck" is a trending meme on social media, even being used by people associated with WB themselves to market and monetize their films.

"it's the nature of the system" - Then I guess Andy Warhol is just some nobody as well, because by that logic, Campbell's would've had his original painting of their soup can removed, meanwhile celebrating the actual work without giving him any mention.

Youtubers are like Hydra. Cut one down, two more will take it's place. It's a shame that the suits cut Betty down, but there's no reason to be concerned about reuploads. That's just Sad Affleck growing beyond anyone's control. None of the reuploaders are going to enjoy 15 minutes of fame, because they're not the original head, they're just respawn heads.

Betty created Sad Affleck (with some help from Sad and Affleck), and nobody can take that away from him. The most the suits can do is scatter it to the wind. Let it go, let it fly.

Cronox

Banned
But he's not getting any recognition for the initial video. His video got pulled down, and now anyone with a mirror can have 15 minutes in the sun. Meanwhile, "Sad Affleck" is a trending meme on social media, even being used by people associated with WB themselves to market and monetize their films.

"it's the nature of the system" - Then I guess Andy Warhol is just some nobody as well, because by that logic, Campbell's would've had his original painting of their soup can removed, meanwhile celebrating the actual work without giving him any mention.

Once things become memes they're out of the creator's hands. Recognition? On the internet? Look at the average repurposed and watermarked (by someone else) facebook video to see how good the internet is at recognizing creators. I don't see a whole lot of recognition for the anons on 4chan coming up with half the memes used in pop culture today. We're talking about a video excerpt with a zoom-in and some added music. I'd say there was plenty of return on that effort.

I'm not saying it's good or right, it literally is the nature of the system. Don't like it, help change it. Popular youtube video creators are in a good position to inform on this topic. It's incredibly obvious why the video was taken down. Honestly, I found it somewhat malicious and band-wagony. I doubt Affleck was sad in that moment (looks like he's zoning out more than anything), but the editing was cute and topical. In a world where youtube has their shit together, it wouldn't have been taken down. But we don't live in that world, and to feign shock at the result is dishonest. The more popular this became, the more the strangely rabid mocking of BvS spread the video, the more embarrassing it was for both a big-name star and a big corporation. You do the math.

Heh, I'm here visiting my mom in New Zealand, I'm watching one of their quirky local late night talk shows, 7 Days, and they just now parodied Sad Affleck. Had to explain to her what the video was all about. Well done, OP, a real shame what happened.

KyleCross

I never saw the video, but good lord have I heard about it. Had no idea you made it, Master Betty. I'm really sorry that your YouTube channel is at risk, same shit happened to me (tho I never had a successful video lol) and I kinda just gave up. I'm really sorry you probably won't get the internet fame you deserve for this. I wonder if your video is why the newest Gears 4 trailer used the song.

Reach out to YouTube, get hold of a real person, explain situation. This is some shady petty stuff.

Subscribed to your channel (via Multiverse Mob) in support. Enjoying some of your other videos.

KOJIMA

Betty

Banned
Reach out to YouTube, get hold of a real person, explain situation. This is some shady petty stuff.

Subscribed to your channel (via Multiverse Mob) in support. Enjoying some of your other videos.

KOJIMA

I am, I'm going to call up the companies involved everyday and I'm getting lots of support from people on who to talk to and how to proceed.

wetwired

Stolen from reddit, Microsoft's captionbot in action

rJEDgzr.png

Betty

Banned
Betty, I just saw your video on Australian TV. Channel 9's morning show 'Today'. Of course, uncredited.

Cool, it's been on a few news networks which has been surreal to see professional looking folk react to it.

I don't mind being uncredited, I just want folk to be able to enjoy the video.

Still calling up the companies, emailed Youtube who are looking into my case, but so far there's been little movement.

Still calling up the companies, emailed Youtube who are looking into my case, but so far there's been little movement.

I know most people are permanently fucked in these scenarios, but you'd think the sheer scale of the rapid spread of your video would do something to grease the wheels. At least enough to get a more lively correspondence from YouTube.

YouTube's copyright team must be DC fanboys.

Betty

Banned
I know most people are permanently fucked in these scenarios, but you'd think the sheer scale of the rapid spread of your video would do something to grease the wheels. At least enough to get a more lively correspondence from YouTube.

YouTube's copyright team must be DC fanboys.

You would think so wouldn't you.

Also just found this, Outlander star does the Sad Affleck http://www.people.com/article/outlander-sam-heughan-caitriona-balfe-reenact-sad-ben-affleck

Betty

Banned
Paid for what?

He didn't write the song or record the footage

True, though there are a lot of copyright songs on youtube that people upload, partially or fully, and they are able to monetize them.

I feel the video qualifies for fair use but I was always fine with it being monetized by the copyright holders, Sony Music Entertainment.

They were also fine with the video staying up but it's this second claim by a different company that's blocked the video and I just don't see the grounds for doing that.

I don't know what this 'sad aflec' is, but I might as well ask this hear: why is Aflec's face puffy? I saw him in two interviews and he looks like he just woken up. Could it be he just did (doing interviews globally for the flick) or is something wrong with his face? I haven't seen him since Argo and he looked usual in that. I haven't seen his batman movie, so I don't know if he looks like that in the movie as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom