• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sad times are coming: hardware - all consoles are PC components and: software - all games are UE5+.

keraj37

Like in the title, don't you see where we are heading. These are sad times, stripped of magic of unknown magical hardware chips and secret homemade game engines.

Soon we will ask not what engine the game uses, but which version of UE.

And we will just ask about console's GPU, CPU (TF) and other components.
photo-1520799275532-15f68640b66b

GymWolf

Nah, many devs are still gonna use their proprietary engines.

But even if it was the case, i don't see the problem, games on ue4 can look wildly different and it's about fucking time to see some of that nanite/lumen magic 3 years inside nextgen.

Last edited:

SNG32

Honestly more options for gaming doesn’t hurt anybody. At the end of the day gaming has always been about being creative with the tools they have at their disposal.

Besides all games are made on pc anyways.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Given how hard it seemed to program for the PS3 this doesn't seem so bad from a developer standpoint.

There is still room for innovative in hardware even if consoles are more equal to a PC.

And i doubt all developers will use UE5 in the future.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Agreed. Yeah this is kinda bad. I loved the custom engines and solutions each game had on ps3/360. It was very interesting and unique as everything looked and FELT different in many games.
And the devs used consoles to the metal as much as possible. Their engines targeted the weird hardware. Devs released 3-4 games on one gen and had few tries to learnt their engine.
Now as consoles are just mid pcs, you just feel like running the game on medium, rather than this strange, console thing, pushing this weird hardware.
But that said. Pc ports are so annoying, that I am still happier with new releases on ps5. I think it's the too big amount of settings and modes in consoles games nowadays too. Instead of optimizing and making the best version they can, they just make bad looking 60fps blurry mode and terribly slow, badly implemented 30fps (vsynced and laggy) mode that nobody wants to play due to how bad it feels. You are choosing lesser of two evils. Not choosing a good thing but a bad thing per se.
Because of that people settle for shitty upscaled 1440p at 60fps because 30fps is so broken, it's no joke. Bloodborne on ps4? 75ms faster input lag than demons souls ps5 30fps mode.
It's the from engine that allowed them to make Dark Souls on 360/ps3. Not sure it would be so good on unreal engine

People who don't see every game using Unreal Engine as some industry loss are fools.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Devrlopers don't typically create proprietary programming languages and compilers when they create software. They use something that already works to save time, spend less money, and reduce complexity. With the cost of game development and the time it takes to make them the gaming industry needs tools like UE5 to drive efficiency in the development process. Who cares what engine is running the game as long as the game is good?

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Wont happen, UE and Unity together will likely dominate 90% of the market (as they pretty much do already), but some big companies like ubisoft, activision and capcom for example will still likely have their own.
Even some smaller studio have their own engines. Some might move to Unreal like CDPR which makes me sad in particular because their games are trash without mods.
And even if it wouldnt be exactly that bad, it will allow devs to switch jobs for better conditions.

Its a pretty good engine, aside from the stutter.

Last edited:

A.Romero

There is a positive side as well: Everyone will specialize in commercial engines and they'll be very proficient.

Students will be able to integrate to the job market more easily because they don't need to learn custom tech.

PC ports and BC will be the norm.

It was amazing to see custom engines drawing every bit of power out of some exotic architecture like Cell but it is 2023 and it is impossible to play MGS4 on PC without compromising stuff.

People where discussing universal console architecture a few years back. This is pretty much the same without sacrificing competition at the hw level.

To me that's a positive net result towards the future.

3liteDragon

OP, you do realize that UE5's open-source right? Meaning each studio can customize the engine to their liking, so they'll all have their own version of UE5. What engine they're using is the last thing you should be worried about.

The consoles' full potential will be showcased by the first-party studios in the coming years.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Not every studio will shift to UE5. You will see some studios rework their engines but not every game will use UE5

And even if that did happen, we'd still get many different kinds of games

I know that we have a lot of "I don't care I just like to press buttons" crowd here but you guys have to agree that A LOT of unreal engine games looks very similar (in terms of visual) to each other....

Maybe the biggest problem is that devs get "lazy" and use too much of the pre baked stuff that engine offers but that doesn't change the fact that companies having different e engines help in games having a more distinct presentation.

T4keD0wN

Unreal Engine games are easily moddable

They are easy to mod, but its mostly just model swaps, recolors and crap like that so pretty limited in scope. Mainly just swaps and not major addition (not impressive compared to some Skyrim, arma, stalker, GTA or Cyberpunk ones where you can add worthwhile content). Although mass effect uses unreal and has some pretty good mods.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah game console hardware is boring now. But maybe it should be boring.

Cell was probably the most unique and exotic console hardware ever, and yeah it was exciting. But the result was that a lot of games ran better on 360, it was difficult to develop for, and only a small number of games really pushed it to its full potential. And by that time it was dwarfed by PC anyway.

Not worth it. Plus we are at the point now where ease/speed of development dominate all other concerns. Games are already taking several years to make.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
of course playstation is loosing it's "magic" when porting to pc. This is not even a question lol.
How could you not think that.
I'm curious about the reasoning behind this statement, please elaborate.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
There are really good reasons for this.

Game development gets more complicated every year. Having bespoke engines and hardware only make things more difficult. At least this way, devs can focus on making a good game rather than developing an engine or accommodating unique hardware. Both should make for less expensive development while taking less time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm curious about the reasoning behind this statement, please elaborate.
Same as nintendo. They got their tiny gated garden. It's the "limited club" feeling maybe?
Or maybe feeling of "oh this is not for everyone but only those with this console.
Or could be the games developed are for the sensibilities of a console gamer. You know, not caring for what pc player might like.

or it is just magic

Portugeezer

Some developers take middleware engine to another level. Some UE3 games looked vastly different to one another, same with UE4.

Developers will still tweak things, but still, I like a good proprietary engine but it's probably easier to hire and attract people with UE experience.

Stitch

Gold Member
They are easy to mod, but its mostly just model swaps, recolors and crap like that so pretty limited in scope. Mainly just swaps and not major addition (not impressive compared to some Skyrim, arma, stalker, GTA or Cyberpunk ones where you can add worthwhile content).
that's not a problem with the engine, it's that no one gives a crap about most unreal engine games. at least not enough to develop bigger mods.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This is a good thing. Especially on the hardware part. Teams won't have to develop for two completely different exotic architectures. It also means that there'll be more cross gen games which, contrary to what this forum thinks, is a very good thing.

In terms of Engine, if UE5 and beyond is what we're stuck with, good for us.

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what an engine is.

"All UE games look the same". That's a matter of art direction. Psychonauts 2, Fortnite, FF7:Remake, Valorant, Yoshi's Crafted World, Gears all look different.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Oh no, there'll be no proprietary engines left! With the exception of ...

CryEngine
Decima
Frostbyte
Anvil
Unity
Lumberyard
4A Engine
Gamebryo
Creation Engine
RE Engine
MT Framework
id Tech