• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sad times are coming: hardware - all consoles are PC components and: software - all games are UE5+.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Consoles and their magical chips lmfao. Do you think Blast Processing was real?
The chips were special and maybe worse than x86 chips... ok.
But because they were special, a special tools had to be developed and great focus given to make games... so the results were special too.

Puscifer

Like in the title, don't you see where we are heading. These are sad times, stripped of magic of unknown magical hardware chips and secret homemade game engines.

Soon we will ask not what engine the game uses, but which version of UE.

And we will just ask about console's GPU, CPU (TF) and other components.
photo-1520799275532-15f68640b66b
You are such a clown, dude. Like I'm just saying for your sake these pity party threads around Sony, shockingly, realizing that even they can't keep doing what they're doing and wanting to streamline cost and development is something to be worried.

Are Returnal and Dragon Ball Fighterz remotely the same in the art direction or technical prowess? Is the the Matrix demo suddenly outdoing the RAGE engine for Rockstar?

Unreal literally gives developers a platform to start their games and probably chops off 1-2 years of development on that alone. I didn't complain about the unreal usage between 1999-2013, it was an engine and that powered a game.

An engine doesn't stop art direction, level and audio design nor the ridiculous walky-talky cinematic experiences that you're scared of losing, get a fucking grip and go touch grass and find a new hobby. There's not a single thing about video games worth this crying you're doing on here holy shit

Kataploom

Gold Member
Kind of get it with UE but it's just an option of many, games are too expensive now, players demand even more and better, yet you still see many devs out there making their own engines because of whatever reasons (like Asobo), the problem is not using UE or Unity, but what's worse for the business and players, like that Telltale Games engine they didn't want to get rid of.

BTW, most consoles using PC architecture is the best thing since 8th gen, that means only good things for devs and players since games aren't unnecessarily harder or more expensive to make.

I don't get how very custom hardware architecture is a good thing for anyone, it's simply going the full retard path at this point, imagine if Nintendo or PS ditched shader based graphics computing for their own in house tech... They'd get barely any game from third parties.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You are such a clown, dude. Like I'm just saying for your sake these pity party threads around Sony, shockingly, realizing that even they can't keep doing what they're doing and wanting to streamline cost and development is something to be worried.

Are Returnal and Dragon Ball Fighterz remotely the same in the art direction or technical prowess? Is the the Matrix demo suddenly outdoing the RAGE engine for Rockstar?

Unreal literally gives developers a platform to start their games and probably chops off 1-2 years of development on that alone. I didn't complain about the unreal usage between 1999-2013, it was an engine and that powered a game.

An engine doesn't stop art direction, level and audio design nor the ridiculous walky-talky cinematic experiences that you're scared of losing, get a fucking grip and go touch grass and find a new hobby. There's not a single thing about video games worth this crying you're doing on here holy shit
This is not about which engine is better or can achieve better technical results.
It's about bespoke features and stuff different engines do. It's just interesting.
It used to be that you know you played a japanese game just by the way it felt

diffusionx

Gold Member
The game industry is completely creatively bankrupt and operating in predatory, exploitative ways as a matter of course. it's a total disaster.

At the very least we have old games, the occasional decent remaster, and 1 out of every 5,000 or so indie games are original and provide that spark that used to be relatively common.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is not about which engine is better or can achieve better technical results.
It's about bespoke features and stuff different engines do. It's just interesting.

There's nothing stopping developers from adding bespoke features to Unreal Engine 4 and 5. They've got the complete source. They can do whatever they want.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There's nothing stopping developers from adding bespoke features to Unreal Engine 4 and 5. They've got the complete source. They can do whatever they want.
of course. To what degree they can manipulate it, I have no idea.
remember when like 75% of Unreal Engine games had the same "running, low fov, crouching" spring as in gears of war? I bet they just used what was in UE sdk and "ran" with it.
It's not like that anymore of course. But I still like to see different results

keraj37

I am a clown? I am not a clown.. am I?
giphy.gif

Puscifer

The beauty of unreal is that if you find something an engine can't do, cool, it's open enough that you could code a plugin.

And bespoke features? You mean like the "breathing systems" in TLOU PT 2 that determined when a character started breathing heavier that in reality unless I told you about it you'd have ZERO idea it was there? Those bespoke time and development wasting features these engines have done that have ballooned cost and development time need to come to an end.

I hate to break it to you but there's not a single proprietary engine I can think of that's so unique in execution that the whining of it's loss is somehow equivalent of "dark times" because your favorite distraction isn't as cool anymore.

Overwhelming majority of engines compete to do the same thing, it's not a huge deal.

MiguelItUp

There are other engines, we're just seeing a lot of UE5, which isn't a problem IMO. Reminds me of that period where there were a TON of UE3 games. This doesn't feel like anything different or new. Other than a newer and better iteration of UE.

keraj37

Tell me you don't know anything about game development without telling me you know nothing about game development - the thread.
I know something about game development since I work for 15 years in this industry as gameplay and engine engineer. But maybe I get it wrong from seeing it from inside.

It is just a phase essentially, later we will return to inhouse engines more. The thing is that it is easier to find and hire people who know UE then some proprietary custom engines. And gamedev is hard and time consuming to wait for onboarding for a long time.

Puscifer

Good point but, I would agree if the plugin has same performance on limited hardware as the dedicated low level code.
Bro, what do you think unreal games have been doing for YEARS already!? Unreal Plugins are literally advertised before you start the game.

Hugare

At work, do you use in-house software built from the ground up by your IT team or do you use third party?

Can you blame developers for preffering to spend most of their time actually making the game instead of building their own engine that would run/look worse than the one from a 3rd party?

Games are harder than ever to make. Spending some huge budget with in-house engines are dumb.

T4keD0wN

that's not a problem with the engine, it's that no one gives a crap about most unreal engine games. at least not enough to develop bigger mods.
You could be right, but why do you think that is? One could say they are not interested because of the engines limited possibilities besides removing restrictions and model swapping/adjusting with which people go absolutely wild with.

Theres a lot of extremely popular UE4 games, but the 3 biggest UE modding communities use UE3 (XCOM2, Mass Effect, arkham) and not UE4.
Just compare Midnight Suns and XCOM2.

We will see what happens to interest with the next witcher and cyberpunk, that should give us some answers.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

And this is bad? I don’t understand how it’s a big deal. If the games are fun and having shared architecture makes it easier and cheaper, we should support it

Gojiira

Banned
Like in the title, don't you see where we are heading. These are sad times, stripped of magic of unknown magical hardware chips and secret homemade game engines.

Soon we will ask not what engine the game uses, but which version of UE.

And we will just ask about console's GPU, CPU (TF) and other components.
photo-1520799275532-15f68640b66b
If you say so OP, 99% of Playstation Studios use proprietary game engines for example, hardware wise the choice is AMD or Nvidia so what exactly do you expect?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Unreal 4.5 bad, Unreal 5.1 good

Also ID Tech, 4A Engine, Cryengine, etc.

And talking about architectures, please no. We might see switch to ARM, but since so far there is nothing which match Apple M1/2, I doubt it, those are first CPUs, which would be ideal for consoles, given the x86 translation layer baked into CPU itself. But good luck with that

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think it's great and will speed the time to a platform agnostic industry.

We don't need compromised or crippling hardware problems because a cheaper or alternative hardware solution was thrown into a console. Those days stopped making sense after 360 launched, and PS3 suffered for it.

The only issue is the engine, because that would remove some ambition as well as uniqueness in many cases outside small studio games, and maybe A developed games, though not guaranteed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Think of the poor sods that use Oculus Quests who are perpetually stuck in Unity land. Shudders...

Stitch

Gold Member
You could be right, but why do you think that is?
I think because most UE games are just not popular enough like Skyrim or Cyberpunk. ARK might be one of the more popular ones, it got some big mods that later even became official.

A decent modding community I can also think of right now is the one for Contractors where mods can turn it into halo or battlefront

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Same as nintendo. They got their tiny gated garden. It's the "limited club" feeling maybe?
Or maybe feeling of "oh this is not for everyone but only those with this console.
Or could be the games developed are for the sensibilities of a console gamer. You know, not caring for what pc player might like.

or it is just magic

Sonys magical pearls are exactly the same as they were when they only existed on console. Your points make no sense when you think about them for more than 1 second.

Shane89

so what? console games still have hardware optimization. Something that you will never reach on any PC out there. Too many differen hardware combinations.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Oh no, there'll be no proprietary engines left! With the exception of ...

CryEngine
Decima
Frostbyte
Anvil
Unity
Lumberyard
4A Engine
Gamebryo
Creation Engine
RE Engine
MT Framework
id Tech
2K Engine
SnowDrop
PhyreEngine
Source

and dozens more
Exactly, and for hardware PC is having to substitute SSD streaming with large amounts of RAM and better GPU’s because consoles are unique in that aspect, and still it causes issues for PC’s on next-gen engines such as UE5.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Same as nintendo.
Nintendo doesn't have that walled garden anymore not when Yuzu exists.

They got their tiny gated garden. It's the "limited club" feeling maybe?
Or maybe feeling of "oh this is not for everyone but only those with this console.
Or could be the games developed are for the sensibilities of a console gamer. You know, not caring for what pc player might like.
like WHAT? Graphics settings or whatever?

"console style" games like Elden Ring and Forza are very popular and beloved on Steam. We play all the games. The only thing we care about that console players might not worry about is port quality and.... that's it, really

it is just magic, dude. ya like being part of a (not very) exclusive club.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If only we could go back to the glorious Ps3 days when lots of multiplatform games ran like crap on playstation and the architecture was so weird we still don't have proper backwards compatibility with that console 17 years later

School Ugh GIF
let's go back to the days of Saturn where basic effects like transparency are nigh impossible on the console because of the system's borked architecture! The days of PS2 where the console was SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than gamecube and xbox and got worse looking games overall thanks to Sony's investment in the stupid 'emotion engine'!

Gaming was so much better back then!

diffusionx

Gold Member
let's go back to the days of Saturn where basic effects like transparency are nigh impossible on the console because of the system's borked architecture! The days of PS2 where the console was SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than gamecube and xbox and got worse looking games overall thanks to Sony's investment in the stupid 'emotion engine'!

Gaming was so much better back then!
Yea, of course it was. It was way better. Why was it better, it was the games. Nowadays it takes an entire generation to pump out the sort of lineup we got on PS2 in the first year, if we are lucky. DMC, SSX, FFX, MGS2, AC4, GTA3, ICO, GT3, SH2, etc. That is to say nothing of the GameCube launch, which had Smash Brothers and Luigi Mansion, Xbox that had Halo, etc. All in the 2000-2001 timeframe.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yea, of course it was. It was way better. Why was it better, it was the games. Nowadays it takes an entire generation to pump out the sort of lineup we got on PS2 in the first year, if we are lucky. That is to say nothing of the GameCube launch, which had Smash Brothers and Luigi Mansion, Xbox that had Halo, etc. All in the 2000-2001 timeframe.
and you can play those exact same games today on your easily hand assembled computer (or Xbox Series X) thanks to standardized cross compatible hardware and software. Try getting a PS2 to play Mario Sunshine. It'll never happen

plus ports and remasters of those exact same games don't take as long to develop since all consoles use similar architecture (exception being Switch) and you can enjoy the exact same game on a different console rather than jumping from Super Nintendo to Genesis and getting a completely different game thanks to hardware limitations.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
and you can play those exact same games today on your easily hand assembled computer (or Xbox Series X) thanks to standardized cross compatible hardware and software. Try getting a PS2 to play Mario Sunshine. It'll never happen

Yes, and there is a good reason to play those games, because very little the industry is pumping out today is worth a damn. Very few people gave a shit about playing games from 1981 in 2001, whereas today it's quite possible those old games are more popular than they were back when they came out in 2001.

Last edited:

solidus12

Majority of PlayStation Studios rely on their own engines.

Naughty Dog
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
Guerrilla
Insomniac
Team Asobi
Bluepoint
Media Molecule

The studios that have used Unreal Engine are Bend and Firesprite

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its more about the art direction than anything else these days.

The work's basically done on the technology side, the main limitation is the sheer cost of utilizing it to its fullest in terms of labour involved.

Top Bottom