• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa Scarlet Grace (Square Enix) gets first trailer, delayed to 2016, PS Vita

Name is kinda weird. Since SaGa is so unpopular in the west maybe it would best to drop the name and market it as a new JRPG? Assuming it comes over obviously.

I think what makes Saga unpopular is the consistent obtuseness of the game mechanics, and calling it by another name won't exactly rectify that problem. Legend of Legacy is essentially a Saga game, and that's not catching much attention.

Nimby

Banned
I think what makes Saga unpopular is the consistent obtuseness of the game mechanics, and calling it by another name won't exactly rectify that problem. Legend of Legacy is essentially a Saga game, and that's not catching much attention.

Legend of Legacy isn't getting much of a marketing push either, like most AtlusUSA localized games of that tier. Square could capitalize on that if it was localized, and the biggest thing would to promote it as much as other Square RPGs right now, but your right that newcomers would definitely be turned off by the mechanics. Kawazu is very set in his ways though, they could make a starter character that eased people into the game, with a linear storyline of sorts, like Albert from Minstrel Song but taken to a whole new degree.

Character art has been posted by the way via RPG Site:

SSG_Logo.png

SSG_Sep152015_A02.png

SSG_Sep152015_A03.png

Aeana

On the other hand, The Last Remnant is probably the most popular a SaGa game has ever been in the west. It has a decent following.

How fucking big is Square Enix? New acquisition of Eidos aside, they seem to be working on a ton of games while stuff announced years ago aren't closed to being released.

duckroll

Story and art wise, the game is hitting all the right notes so far. But I'm really worried that not only did they feel they couldn't show any actual game footage or screens at all, but that the characters don't even seem to have names yet. These aren't player created characters, they have backgrounds, personalities, etc, but so far it's just "Main Character (Male)" and "Main Character (Female)", with a note that there will be more main characters revealed too. Lol. Kawazuuuuuuuuuuuu!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Shimomura scoring? Damn, I might need to check this out. How do SaGa games play? Never played one before.

SkyOdin

Shimomura scoring? Damn, I might need to check this out. How do SaGa games play? Never played one before.

SaGa games are very distinct. They are all pure turn-based RPGs, but they tend to have a lot of mechanics that you don't see in other RPGs. Prominent features include random stat ups at the end of battles based on your mid-battle actions, rather than traditional levels. Also, learning new attack skills via random chance mid-battle (based on a few different factors). For example, if you use a Double Slash skill, you might instead execute a Cross Slash attack, permanently learning Cross Slash. Combat also involves linking attacks from multiple characters together into combos.

Outside of battle, SaGa games are usually very nonlinear. Most of your time will be spent sidequesting. However, what enemies you fight are not based on location, but instead your Battle Rank, a value that increases as you fight more battles. So, they are designed around the idea that you will eventually get strong enough to fight the games' story bosses, no matter which side content you pursue.

SaGa games have a lot of non-traditional settings and set-ups. For example, SaGa Frontier was a game with seven different main characters you could choose from, each on whom had their own unique story, plot progression, and final boss, set in a world where the craziest sci-fi and fantasy settings collided at once. The cast consisted of a bard, a vampire girl, a robot built by an ancient civilization, a transforming superhero, a fashion model turned fugitive/rebel, a magic-using jerk who invades hell, and a monster re-enacting the plot of Dragon Ball. There were also more than a dozen side characters who could be recruited, including interplanetary policemen, the reanimated skeleton of a king, and an inhuman mad scientist who operates a back alley clinic.

Then you get a game like SaGa Frontier 2, which is set in a pure medieval fantasy setting that tells the story that crosses 60 years and three generations of heroes, with half of its story focused on a Game of Thrones-esque political battle, as various heroes and princes try to conquer a continent. Both games are very different, and highlight how varied and awesome the series can be. The SaGa series has a lot of different faces, but is rarely conventional.

I have no idea what to expect of this new entry, but I have high hopes for it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
SaGa games are very distinct. They are all pure turn-based RPGs, but they tend to have a lot of mechanics that you don't see in other RPGs. Prominent features include random stat ups at the end of battles based on your mid-battle actions, rather than traditional levels. Also, learning new attack skills via random chance mid-battle (based on a few different factors). For example, if you use a Double Slash skill, you might instead execute a Cross Slash attack, permanently learning Cross Slash. Combat also involves linking attacks from multiple characters together into combos.

Outside of battle, SaGa games are usually very nonlinear. Most of your time will be spent sidequesting. However, what enemies you fight are not based on location, but instead your Battle Rank, a value that increases as you fight more battles. So, they are designed around the idea that you will eventually get strong enough to fight the games' story bosses, no matter which side content you pursue.

SaGa games have a lot of non-traditional settings and set-ups. For example, SaGa Frontier was a game with seven different main characters you could choose from, each on whom had their own unique story, plot progression, and final boss, set in a world where the craziest sci-fi and fantasy settings collided at once. The cast consisted of a bard, a vampire girl, a robot built by an ancient civilization, a transforming superhero, a fashion model turned fugitive/rebel, a magic-using jerk who invades hell, and a monster re-enacting the plot of Dragon Ball. There were also more than a dozen side characters who could be recruited, including interplanetary policemen, the reanimated skeleton of a king, and an inhuman mad scientist who operates a back alley clinic.

Then you get a game like SaGa Frontier 2, which is set in a pure medieval fantasy setting that tells the story that crosses 60 years and three generations of heroes, with half of its story focused on a Game of Thrones-esque political battle, as various heroes and princes try to conquer a continent. Both games are very different, and highlight how varied and awesome the series can be. The SaGa series has a lot of different faces, but is rarely conventional.

I have no idea what to expect of this new entry, but I have high hopes for it.

Sounds fun. Count me in then!

There are some scans floating around of the game. I think there is also a screenshot of the game in them, but might be just artwork.

I can understand why they didn't show any footage. It is likely we will see at Jump Festa. I mean we just had an artwork teased for Setsuna at E3 and then got full blown reveal of the gameplay at TGS. It is not out of the ordinary to expect the same for Saga.

There are some scans floating around of the game. I think there is also a screenshot of the game in them, but might be just artwork.

I can understand why they didn't show any footage. It is likely we will see at Jump Festa. I mean we just had an artwork teased for Setsuna at E3 and then got full blown reveal of the gameplay at TGS. It is not out of the ordinary to expect the same for Saga.

It is really weird. It is as if they were not confident enough regarding how the actual game looks...or at least this is the effect on me. I am expecting some cheap looking game now :-(

Is it me or is minstrel song the most criminally underrated ps2 rpg? Surprisingly easy gameplay for a saga, great graphics, awesome music, lot of diversity and great great atmosphere

In my top 3 of ps2 rpgs and top 10 of all times

Top Bottom