• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV Review Thread

weevles

Sounds like the game is being positively reviewed for exactly the reasons I enjoyed The Third and SR overall. I'm still sold and don't care if some folks call it an over-sized DLC made into a full game.

I played and reviewed the Xbox 360 version, and I don't know... other than a small handful of times when the on-screen chaos made the engine chug for a moment or two, I never really felt like my experience wasn't good.

I'm not a PC gamer, so I can't compare to that experience, but I definitely didn't feel like the game was struggling to do what it wanted to do.

Thanks for the input. 360 version (well and PS3, but those are traditionally slightly worse than 360) is my only option because my PC isn't quite up to snuff, so I'm curious how it preforms. I wish there was good video of the final 360 version out there...

weevles

I missed SR the Third - is the general consensus that 4 is an improvement on that?

From the reviews, it seems like there are some improvements, but SR3 was a fun experience in and of itself. IV is like 3 on steroids or on cheat/god mode. I don't think you'll miss anything if you really must skip 3 though.

I think I've found the one thing more irritating than people lamenting an 8/10 for a game they like; people coming into a review thread for a game that has almost unanimous praise and slinging shit at it in the form of GTA comparisons and "I don't get it"s.

I think I've found the one thing more irritating than people lamenting an 8/10 for a game they like; people coming into a review thread for a game that has almost unanimous praise and slinging shit at it in the form of GTA comparisons and "I don't get it"s.

to play Devil's Advocate, it's about the same as the people that go into GTA threads about new info and say "GTA's boring, I'll stick with Saints Row" or variations of that.

But I agree, it's fucking moronic and does nothing but derail the topic for several pages.

Then "premature ejaculation" can be used to describe failed hype i.e. every Nintendo Direct thread.

tumblr_lj7793AUGb1qga2kyo1_500.gif

fucking tumblr gifs

I cannot understand why so many people seem to think this series is so great.

To me, its always been the poor man's GTA.

Plus they just keep banging out the same crap over and over and people eat it up, but then AT THE SAME TIME, give games series like CoD crap about being rehashes.

Maybe, this one is different. I bought SR3 at a STEAM sale for cheap though and still felt let down.

Keep fighting the good fight bro.

Xander51

Thanks for the input. 360 version (well and PS3, but those are traditionally slightly worse than 360) is my only option because my PC isn't quite up to snuff, so I'm curious how it preforms. I wish there was good video of the final 360 version out there...

The Giant Bomb Quick Look is mostly made up of 360 footage.

to play Devil's Advocate, it's about the same as the people that go into GTA threads about new info and say "GTA's boring, I'll stick with Saints Row" or variations of that.

But I agree, it's fucking moronic and does nothing but derail the topic for several pages.
Anecdotal, but I rarely see anything of that sort. I imagine said posters would be torn apart in any GTA thread.
The Giant Bomb Quick Look is mostly made up of 360 footage.

This. This I like.

Fjordson

I thought SR 3 was trash, but these reviews are way way higher than I thought they'd be. And I liked Crackdown, which seems to be an influence. Might have to rent IV despite my usual cynicism towards the series.

Anecdotal, but I rarely see anything of that sort. I imagine said posters would be torn apart in any GTA thread.
Hardly. Happens all the time. GTA may be more popular in the grand scheme of things, but GAF is Saints territory I'm afraid.

Squire

Banned
this is from giantbomb, "The frame rate of Saints Row: The Third wasn't pretty on consoles"

I played quite a bit of SR3 on ps3 and I didnt notice any problems....was i by myself in this?

No, I had the same experience. I'm sure there's a difference, but every time someone makes that game out to be a mess on consoles, I'm all ???

I thought SR 3 was trash, but these reviews are way way higher than I thought they'd be. And I liked Crackdown, which seems to be an influence. Might have to rent IV despite my usual cynicism towards the series.

Hardly. Happens all the time. GTA may be more popular in the grand scheme of things, but GAF is Saints territory I'm afraid.

I see people slinging crap on Gta in favor of Saints Row all the time, but the bolded is not true at all. Saints Row threads on new gameplay and such barely break ten pages while you consistently have 20+ for a thread about a new Gta screenshot. You think Gta V's review thread will be moving as slow as this one? Not a chance.

bndadm

I played and reviewed the Xbox 360 version, and I don't know... other than a small handful of times when the on-screen chaos made the engine chug for a moment or two, I never really felt like my experience wasn't good.

I'm not a PC gamer, so I can't compare to that experience, but I definitely didn't feel like the game was struggling to do what it wanted to do.

I second the thanks for 360 input. I'm in the same boat as mullet so I wanted to be reassured that a first week buy wouldn't be frustrating.

watch the QL on GB site. they do tend to record them at 60 fps, so you do get an accurate 'feel'. xbox does look playable, but compare to the pc footage at the end...

its almost not fair... but it kinda is, its not like the 360 version cost less to buy (it actually cost more lol).

All the video footage on my review is 360 version all the way and various areas/stuff going on. AKA this one down below!

davewiththeid

Neo Member
I second the thanks for 360 input. I'm in the same boat as mullet so I wanted to be reassured that a first week buy wouldn't be frustrating.

Yeah, the slowdown is noticeable, but not deduct-a-point bad.

One irritating thing that happened to me, though -- and this is something I haven't seen anyone else report for the 360 version -- is the game froze at the pause menu. It was weird, the system didn't freeze -- I could still bring up the 360 system menu -- but the game stopped responding. This happened to me three times.

winstano

So, pretty much like SR3?

I only played SR3 on 360, but I'd guess that's the case, yeah.

There was one moment in SRIV where the frame rate dropped into single figures, but I restarted the mission and all was well. Never had anything quite as severe as that afterward

One irritating thing that happened to me, though -- and this is something I haven't seen anyone else report for the 360 version -- is the game froze at the pause menu. It was weird, the system didn't freeze -- I could still bring up the 360 system menu -- but the game stopped responding. This happened to me three times.

That happened to me earlier this evening, only once though. Was very strange.

Only had 1 hard lock the entire game. hmmm interesting.

Ploid 3.0

Plus they just keep banging out the same crap over and over and people eat it up, but then AT THE SAME TIME, give games series like CoD crap about being rehashes.

Maybe, this one is different. I bought SR3 at a STEAM sale for cheap though and still felt let down.

There has only been 3 Saints Row games in the whole franchise. I haven't played the first one, which I guess could be called a GTA want to be. I played SR2 and after GTA4, I was a huge huge GTA3's fan. SR2 scratched my GTA for HD consoles itch so good, it hit all the right spots, let me roll over on my belly, and it patted me on the head. SR2 did different things than GTA 3's usually had. It would be like calling King of Fighters a cheap Street Fighter knock off (I don't know which of these games came first, what I'm getting at is they are in the same genre and are different in their own ways). SR3 came out a few years after SR2, not the next year like you make it sound, and it was a lot different than SR2 in that it was a new engine, had it's own style of fun, and it had cool ideas with well known music + missions that pulled on the player's emotions in a interesting way. About the music, it pumped you up (Power party crash mission) and gave you a sense of urgency (I need a hero).

Now with everything they learned, they made a even better SR, it could very well be the swan song for the series, or maybe Saints will live in Space after this game. Heck they may move to mars and farm it's resources o_O, they don't have to call Saints in Space Red Faction, they can probably just reference people mining Mars for resources as a wink to Red Faction. This franchise is not milked, the two Saints games I played this whole generation were very good.

The one GTA game I played this gen didn't appeal to me. I was very disappointed, felt let down, but I moved on (thankfully there's too many games this gen). Rockstar changed their idea of what GTA after the 3's should be, people like it and it's good for them. The industry has more games for people like me thankfully, and thank goodness Volition was there. You shouldn't be confused, Saints Row found a market, it wouldn't be healthy for the industry if people were left hanging and probably buy less games because they can't find anything for them.

tl;dnr: You may be misinformed about the Saints Row series. It's not rehashed or milked.

Sats

Banned

And I say the same exact evey time a new GTA comes out, so to each her own.

sunnz

The Main thing putting me off getting this game is knowing it is set in the same location as SR3 ( pretty crappy map, so small and boring)

Is it 100% identical?

Dug

Banned
The Main thing putting me off getting this game is knowing it is set in the same location as SR3 ( pretty crappy map, so small and boring)

Is it 100% identical?
Mostly, but there are alien towers that you climb to the top of to regain portions of the city.

TaroYamada

Yeah, I like some things about Saints Row 2 but mostly it seems like a game that hadn't found itself yet. To me Saints Row the Third is where the series came into it's own.

The only things I miss from Saints Row 2 is the ability to pick up items and the world did feel slightly more varied. Otherwise the Third is a universal improvement.

rockx4

I'm tempted to get SR4 on the PC. I finally played SR3 and I liker it way more than any GTA game. The ability to customize your own character alone gives the game more freedom... at least for me.

I hated the controller support in SR3 though, the analog stick felt completely broken when you were trying to shoot anything. I had to switch between keyboard\mouse for shooting and controller for driving. It was a huge pain in the ass.

Top Bottom