• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Salt and Sanctuary |OT| Salt for the Soul

Picked this up in a recent sale anear it's great! It's hard but very fun. Very much 2d dark souls but nothing wrong with that! Just lost like 15000 salt and feeling pretty salty, but oh well.

How long is the game? I'm at the hall of red cages.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Picked this up in a recent sale anear it's great! It's hard but very fun. Very much 2d dark souls but nothing wrong with that! Just lost like 15000 salt and feeling pretty salty, but oh well.

How long is the game? I'm at the hall of red cages.

Can be a solid 20h the first time. Red Hall is more or less halfway through but it really depends on many things, like if you already did the Z
iggurat
or not.

Three unique things I think S&S did well

1) Meaningful covenants, with their own healing pots
2) Special Abilities to transverse the zones
3) The Tree of Skill as a means of leveling up

McGwigan

Banned
Anybody want to beat the very first boss for me during the tutorial on the boat over share play? The one that kills you in one hit and you're supposed to die to but there's a trophy for killing him

prudislav

its little big off topic but are there any news on the promised ports of their previous games ??? (Charlie Murder and Dishwasher Vampire Smile)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How the hell did I miss this game?!
Seems a definite buy only thing I'm unsure of is the art but that could be because of the awful compression of YouTube mobile videos, muddling up everything and then some... can't really judge anything like that.
2D Souls meets Castlevania? Count me in! Is it as much fun when played solo? I know I won't be able to play co-op.

Woetyler

Seems a definite buy only thing I'm unsure of is the art but that could be because of the awful compression of YouTube mobile videos, muddling up everything and then some... can't really judge anything like that.
2D Souls meets Castlevania? Count me in! Is it as much fun when played solo? I know I won't be able to play co-op.

It's really almost better solo. I bought it right when it came out and played through by myself. Had a blast, such a great indie game. Definitely a buy.

Finnroth

Anybody want to beat the very first boss for me during the tutorial on the boat over share play? The one that kills you in one hit and you're supposed to die to but there's a trophy for killing him

Just don't :/ Try it yourself, it's actually rather easy once you get the rythm down, I suck at most skill based games and I don't think it took me more than 5-6 tries to get it down.

Prisoner

Remind me, what's an obelisk? I've just looked on the wiki and didn't see anything.

Sorry, I didn't think anyone would respond! Thanks for trying to help.

I've finished the game now, so I'm not too bothered about it anymore, but these are what I meant:

saltandsanctuaryp7oq9.png

(Not this specific one, mind you)

Game is phenomenal. I like the art style. I've been addicted to this game the last week sInce I started it.

This game is utterly fantastic. Love the setting and lore. Really digging it. Is the studio working on something at the moment? Never played any of their previous games but after this will definitely be checking out whatever they do going forward.

This game is utterly fantastic. Love the setting and lore. Really digging it. Is the studio working on something at the moment? Never played any of their previous games but after this will definitely be checking out whatever they do going forward.

According to their Twitter accounts, theyre playing Nioh and working on the Korean localisation of S&S (they outsourced the Vita version).

Just finished it! Loved it, tremendous game. Played as knight with a strength build as I always tend to on my first play through. I absolutely love this game, just saw that its going to be getting a limited run release, might buy the physical just to show my love.

heringer

Guys, I have a question about devotion rewards.

Do they stack? I mean, if I change my creed and get another reward, do I get to keep both or I must give up the first reward?

Also, which reward is the best in The Three creed? An extra red flask, fire buff or shock buff?

Also, what are the benefits of raising devotion other than access to higher level items?

Do they stack? I mean, if I change my creed and get another reward, do I get to keep both or I must give up the first reward?

Also, which reward is the best in The Three creed? An extra red flask, fire buff or shock buff?

I don't recall exactly as I only changed once briefly before reloading an old save, but I'm pretty sure rewards don't stack. I had 12 flasks of health on my main creed (The Three) and I briefly changed to the creed outside of Ronin Cran's room, and it reset me to 5 flasks.

Also, what are the benefits of raising devotion other than access to higher level items?

1) Changing your creed resets your devotion levels. Meaning your benefits are reset.

2) No real 'best', but personally I would take the free buff since healing items respawn by default. People might have different opinion.

3) Merchants get more items to sell, and more free respawning consumables of course.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Since I stopped playing at a point and want to start again, is there any talk over this coming out on Switch? Don't own a Vita and this seems like a great portable Souls.

spannicus

Since I stopped playing at a point and want to start again, is there any talk over this coming out on Switch? Don't own a Vita and this seems like a great portable Souls.

Dont wanna burst your bubble but i doubt thats gonna happen anytime soon. Sure the devs have moved on to other projects. Could be possible if Nintendo wants it and has someone port it. Just dont hold your breath. On another note, you could get a Vita pretty cheap 😉

I downloaded this on my Vita last night but didn't have time to play yet. Amazed it's only 167mb. Probably already know the answer, but I don't suppose it has cross-save, does it?!

Loving the Vita verion so far, though I really wish it had a map. I didn't realize how different the Souls formula is when translated to 2D. It feels more like a Metroidvania almost, and for that, I wish it had a map.

I wander a LOT and get lost.

I kinda wish it was a little more difficult as well.

Still having fun killing bosses with a big ol sword though.

How does this compare to Hollow Knight, Ori and Axiom Verge?

It's a very different sort of thing than those, much more stat driven and focused on combat rather than just platforming and exploration. Of those three I guess Hollow Knight is probably the closest but really it's closest comparison is Dark Souls. Just, you know, in 2D with some platforming thrown in. I'd say how much you like it really does depend on how you feel about the Souls games, the shared elements are too great to ignore. If you like them and can live with a kind of ugly art style then there is a lot to like about Salt and Sanctuary.

For what it's worth I liked it more than Ori or Axiom Verge. I haven't finished Hollow Knight yet but it seems to be a bit closer to what I like from these sorts of games.

Weiss

Banned
How is this game for someone who's kinda meh on Dark Souls but loved Bloodborne?

Is Magic good in this? I liked playing a Sorcerer in Dark Souls 1.

Weiss

Banned
So I downloaded it and so far so good.

I wish the screen was a bit more zoomed in since it's a little hard to see.

Magic draining stamina if used repeatedly is a nice touch, if maybe a little frustrating. Then again magic needs some kind of cost and this is interesting enough. I guess magic is the kind of thing where you use it sparingly, even as a mage?

Miletius

So I downloaded it and so far so good.

I wish the screen was a bit more zoomed in since it's a little hard to see.

Magic draining stamina if used repeatedly is a nice touch, if maybe a little frustrating. Then again magic needs some kind of cost and this is interesting enough. I guess magic is the kind of thing where you use it sparingly, even as a mage?

To start, I suppose so. Magic is arguably one of the easier ways to play through the game though because Minor spoiler about items ahead

There are several rings and flasks in the game that make it so that you basically never run out of mana and stamina.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I finished this up on Vita the week it came out.
Did they ever get around to patching out the crashes to desktop and dev console?
lol

Weiss

Banned
I've put all my points into magic so far. Is that bad? When do I start getting new magic spells because it seems so far my basic fireball is kind of crappy.

Top Bottom