• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam Altman fired as CEO of OpenAI

Chittagong

Gold Member
I just can’t imagine what Microsoft could have offered for these guys to join. When I made it myself a decade ago, and put down the Microsoft badge, I can’t imagine an Euro amount or a promise of resources that would ever get me put that badge back on. I just don’t need it, it won’t be fun, I can do everything I want much better outside Microsoft. I am absolutely insignificant compared to these guys, the entire world is open to them. They can do whatever they want wherever they want with unlimited resources. A Microsoft badge? This story got even weirder.

E-Cat

I just can’t imagine what Microsoft could have offered for these guys to join. When I made it myself a decade ago, and put down the Microsoft badge, I can’t imagine an Euro amount or a promise of resources that would ever get me put that badge back on. I just don’t need it, it won’t be fun, I can do everything I want much better outside Microsoft. I am absolutely insignificant compared to these guys, the entire world is open to them. They can do whatever they want wherever they want with unlimited resources. A Microsoft badge? This story got even weirder.
Well, probably the problem they ran into is they can't gather those "unlimited resources" to create "GPT-5" from scratch in a fast enough time frame. Every H100 for the next 1.5 years is spoken for, companies are restricting access to proprietary data... MS already has massive data and compute, so will streamline the process of setting everything up quite a bit. Time is a luxury Sam can't afford atm.

Last edited:

Tieno

Well, probably the problem they ran into is they can't gather those "unlimited resources" to create "GPT-5" from scratch in a fast enough timeline. Every H100 for the next 1.5 years is spoken for, companies are restricting access to proprietary data... MS already has massive data and compute, so will streamline the process of setting everything up quite a bit. Time is a luxury Sam can't afford atm.
Yep, if your mission is AGI and you want to be on the forefront of solving that problem, you need capital, fast access to resources AND talent. Microsoft has 2/3's of that. If Sam just wants to make money in software, then joining MS doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

ak4MVBN.jpg

Littlefinger is proven right again.

He basically gets his own company (more or less independent) within Microsoft. Like for example Microsoft Gaming that Phil has. And Sam gets an opportunity to become Microsoft CEO. After all Satya came from the cloud. And now AI is the next hot thing. Plus Sam wanted to develop his own chips and Microsoft also has its own in house development team.

But it is insanely impressive how Satya was able to turn this disaster into an opportunity, basically increasing the stock even higher than before. That's the impressive play. So now Microsoft has OpenAI working "for the greater good", Sam "working for the great money" + Microsoft Research who are also working on AI.

Also this is hilarious

Anticipating the arrival of this all-powerful technology, Sutskever began to behave like a spiritual leader, three employees who worked with him told us. His constant, enthusiastic refrain was "feel the AGI," a reference to the idea that the company was on the cusp of its ultimate goal. At OpenAI's 2022 holiday party, held at the California Academy of Sciences, Sutskever led employees in a chant: "Feel the AGI! Feel the AGI!" The phrase itself was popular enough that OpenAI employees created a special "Feel the AGI" reaction emoji in Slack.

Last edited:
Microsoft offered them a shitload of money and the opportunity to make as much more as they feel like making it seems. If it turns out that Microsoft is the company that accidentally designs the malevolent AI superintelligence that exterminates humanity then oh well.

E-Cat

He basically gets his own company (more or less independent) within Microsoft. Like for example Microsoft Gaming that Phil has. And Sam gets an opportunity to become Microsoft CEO. After all Satya came from the cloud. And now AI is the next hot thing. Plus Sam wanted to develop his own chips and Microsoft also has its own in house development team.

But it is insanely impressive how Satya was able to turn this disaster into an opportunity, basically increasing the stock even higher than before. That's the impressive play. So now Microsoft has OpenAI working "for the greater good", Sam "working for the great money" + Microsoft Research who are also working on AI.

Also this is hilarious
For anyone interested, I can DM the full text of the Atlantic article

E-Cat

Boo, I was hoping Sam started up an independent startup and added more competition in the AI space.
This is what this essentially is [independent entity within MS] + a reasonable timeline to get back up to speed vs starting from scratch.

You said it.
A decade ago.
Company culture changed a lot.

They people have their own subdivision they can run pretty independently with a lot of resources.
Add a lot of money on top.

That's the point, you were "insignificant". This is Microsofts next big thing play. They just get everything they want and Sam might be in for the long run as 4. CEO of Microsoft in a decade

Last edited:

marjo

Say what you will about MS, but Satya really is a fantastic CEO. He turned what could have been a disaster into a positive. If I were an MS shareholder, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that he's at the helm.

Say what you will about MS, but Satya really is a fantastic CEO. He turned what could have been a disaster into a positive. If I were an MS shareholder, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that he's at the helm.
Yeah, Satya is one of the best CEOs out there. The way he has transformed MSFT post Ballmer is nothing but impressive. And he did not a lot of opportunities. Even mobile is arguably Ballmer's miss and not his. Though he did regret scrapping Windows Phone. Would be interesting to see how it would look like if it survived till this day.

Also lol

Last edited:

Tieno

Yeah, Satya is one of the best CEOs out there. The way he has transformed MSFT post Ballmer is nothing but impressive. And he did not a lot of opportunities. Even mobile is arguably Ballmer's miss and not his. Though he did regret scrapping Windows Phone. Would be interesting to see how it would look like if it survived till this day.

Also lol

wtf, this keeps on giving. someone make a movie from this. Not even ChatGPT can autocomplete this story.

Last edited:
"Microsoft emerges as big winner from OpenAI turmoil with Altman on board"

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...-openai-turmoil-with-altman-board-2023-11-20/

"If Microsoft lost Altman, he could have gone to Amazon, Google, Apple, or a host of other tech companies," said Wedbush Securities analyst Dan Ives.
"Instead he is safely in Microsoft's HQ now. We view Microsoft now even in a stronger position with Altman and Brockman at Microsoft running AI

Sounds hilarious.

Last edited:

Salz01

Also lol

Sounds like he should have asked Chat GPT before doing it:

GPT-3.5 =
"Firing a CEO carries risks such as creating a leadership void, damaging employee morale, risking talent retention, unsettling investors, affecting customer relationships, disrupting strategic initiatives, harming the company's reputation, facing legal consequences, potential board dissension, and influencing organizational culture. Careful planning, transparent communication, and a well-managed succession plan are essential to mitigate these risks."

Tieno

Sounds like he should have asked Chat GPT before doing it:

GPT-3.5 =
"Firing a CEO carries risks such as creating a leadership void, damaging employee morale, risking talent retention, unsettling investors, affecting customer relationships, disrupting strategic initiatives, harming the company's reputation, facing legal consequences, potential board dissension, and influencing organizational culture. Careful planning, transparent communication, and a well-managed succession plan are essential to mitigate these risks."
I just tried this

Last edited:

Dane

This is just a power struggle that ended badly, the board tought they had the high ground only to result in a potential mass exit.

Interfectum

This could have been a colossal loss for Microsoft... goddamn they turned it around by Monday morning. Good on the CEO for that.

Where can you see the real-time tally?
No, it seems like it was orignally 550, but it was updated to 505 later. It seems like there are 505 employees in really. Though looking at how it is playing out, Microsoft might just acquire OpenAI at this point by absorbing it.

Also

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
So just so I understand, people are really going out there batting for a guy that was pro MS buying such a large share of Open AI, undermining the purpose for which the company was built, and was trying to turn Open AI into a chipmaker so that the company could long term turn into the very thing it was built to avoid.

Now he was hired by the company that would be one of many awful custodians of AGI, and people cheer?

What the fuck is going on with the world?

E-Cat

So just so I understand, people are really going out there batting for a guy that was pro MS buying such a large share of Open AI, undermining the purpose for which the company was built, and was trying to turn Open AI into a chipmaker so that the company could long term turn into the very thing it was built to avoid.

Now he was hired by the company that would be one of many awful custodians of AGI, and people cheer?

What the fuck is going on with the world?
Dude, the majority of OpenAI are about to leave OpenAI for Microsoft. So, I guess it's the employees who are undermining the "purpose of the company".

marjo

No, it seems like it was orignally 550, but it was updated to 505 later. It seems like there are 505 employees in really. Though looking at how it is playing out, Microsoft might just acquire OpenAI at this point by absorbing it.

If 500+ of the employees really do end up at Microsoft, that means that MS would have effectively 'acquired' OpenAI (arguably one of the most promising tech companies in the world) for zero dollars and with no regulatory red tape. What a coup.

Three

I would bet, all he wanted make was sense, but all they want to make is dollars.
I'm willing to bet it was the opposite. I bet the current board wanted to keep AI away from big money/big tech and do things that made sense at the cost of openAI's business interests. Altman wouldn't join a MS subsidiary and OpenAI hire someone who wants to slow things down otherwise. The cause of the initial turmoil is likely dollars and Altman being on the side of more of it. The fact that Tom broke this news is no coincidence either.

Last edited:
If 500+ of the employees really do end up at Microsoft, that means that MS would have effectively 'acquired' OpenAI (arguably one of the most promising tech companies in the world) for zero dollars and with no regulatory red tape. What a coup.
The thing is that OpenAI still have the models and data. Sure, the developers have the knowledge but OpenAI becomes a "think tank" so to say. Ideally for Microsoft, getting the whole OpenAI would better. Because even without employees, OpenAI would have a control over everything - but won't be able to develop it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got to say, tech companies always have the most entertaining drama. You arent going to see this kind of shit at a mortgage company or corporation that runs auto mechanic shops.

E-Cat

Yeah no shit, a bunch of highly curious people who want to change the world and make history while making truck loads of money in the process. That’s why you need leaders with a conscious.
An incredibly naive take. Altman and Brockman were willing to make concessions to the board but they wouldn't budge. Now Sutskever, "the voice of conscience" himself, regrets his cooperation in the board's actions. They would rather let OpenAI die than come to a compromise. Now all of that talent will get gobbled up by MS with no non-profit clause, further accelerating the path to AGI. How does that help "the mission"?

Thirty7ven

Banned
An incredibly naive take. Altman and Brockman were willing to make concessions to the board but they wouldn't budge. Now Sutskever, "the voice of conscience" himself, regrets his cooperation in the board's actions. They would rather let OpenAI die than come to a compromise. Now all of that talent will get gobbled up by MS with no non-profit clause, further accelerating the path to AGI. How does that help "the mission"?

Naive?

Think you’re mixing up meanings here. The non profit clause was rendered bs from the moment MS entered the picture. OpenAI was already dying, it was either a slow death by riches or quick death by morals. MS got what they wanted.

Got to say, tech companies always have the most entertaining drama. You arent going to see this kind of shit at a mortgage company or corporation that runs auto mechanic shops.

I dunno the mortgage industry has been interesting lately with the rulings against its commission model.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Naive?

Think you’re mixing up meanings here. The non profit clause was rendered bs from the moment MS entered the picture. OpenAI was already dying, it was either a slow death by riches or quick death by morals. MS got what they wanted.
Just curious, I dont follow all this AI stuff aside from occasional articles and me goofing around on the net doing some occasional AI images for fun, but how is ChatAI dying? I though they were the numero uno company doing all this(?)

E-Cat

Naive?

But what good are morals if the effective result is further acceleration? Where's the "effective" in the effective altruism?

Inflection-2 is now the 2nd best LLM in the world... only a matter of time before they surpass GPT-4

OpenAI will lose all control over what happens, progress is not gonna stop. At least previously they were in a position to steer the conversation and pioneer modes of safe deployment.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Just curious, I dont follow all this AI stuff aside from occasional articles and me goofing around on the net doing some occasional AI images for fun, but how is ChatAI dying? I though they were the numero uno company doing all this(?)

It’s not the business that was dying, it was the idea.

Thirty7ven

Banned
But what good are morals if the effective result is further acceleration? Where's the "effective" in the effective altruism?

Inflection-2 is now the 2nd best LLM in the world... only a matter of time before they surpass GPT-4

OpenAI will lose all control over what happens, progress is not gonna stop. At least previously they were in a position to steer the conversation and pioneer modes of safe deployment.

It’s an important question when lives are on the balance. But greed? You have to draw the line somewhere.

What happened here is that the line is only allowed when it doesn’t harm shareholders quest for growth. It’s a low bar, really low.

Top Bottom