• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samantha Bee calls Ivanka Trump the "C-word," and jokes about an incestuous relationship between her and her father.

The full quote:

"Do something about your dad's immigration polices you feckless cunt, he listens to you. Put on something tight and low cut, and tell your father to fucking stop it."

Both Samantha Bee and TBS have apologized for the remarks, but she's also lost two of her sponsors.

Many are comparing this to Rosanne's recent tweet comparing a black woman to "planet of the apes." While I'm not about to suggest that someone calling a woman a female slur is equal to or more offensive than someone referring to a black woman as an ape (it's not), there are other aspects that do make this pretty repulsive.

As they mention in the video above, this was scripted. This wasn't some repulsive tweet made by a single individual, this was a repulsive comment made by a single individual, written and approved by a team of writers, and filmed before broadcast. The entire Samantha Bee team and her network signed off on this.

The other thing that hasn't been talked about as much is the incestuous reference, and how completely hypocritical it is to say such repulsive things about this president's daughter, when a reversal of political parties would be received very differently.

"Do something about your dad invading my Netflix subscription with his propaganda you feckless cunt, he listens to you. Put on something tight and low cut, and tell your father to fucking stop it."

Can you even imagine the amount of hell that would rain down on any conservative reporter (even a "funny" one) who said this about one of Barack Obama's daughters? And deservedly so. Can you imagine Dennis Miller saying this and still having a job the next morning? Will anything happen to Samantha Bee? I guess we'll find out. While I don't wish for Bee to lose her show over this, with conservatives already frequently complaining about unequal treatment by the media, TBS not taking any real action against Samantha Bee would only strengthen that argument.

Or maybe in the near future a conservative "comedian" will be able to say something like this, because of the precedent that is being set right now. If no real action is taken with Bee, doesn't that just further the "anything goes" nature of political aggressiveness that will soon be used against the very group who made this "okay" for television in the first place?

The US is likely going to have another Democrat in the Oval Office sometime in the not too distant future. Do liberals really want to make it acceptable for television personalities to call people in the opposing party cunts and suggest that their political opponents want to fuck their own children?

* As a note for anyone not aware, the Obama family recently made a multi million dollar deal with Netflix to bring original programming to the streaming service. A lot of conservatives are not happy about this, and it's a recent event regarding the Obama family, which is why I used it as an example.

*edit* I also wanted to add two important thoughts to this first post, one posted by myself, and the other posted by mr2xxx regarding the comparison to Rosanne's tweet:

It’s different when it’s one of your own vs. a different group. It’s still an insult in Bees case but wouldn’t be as harsh as say a man calling Ivanka a cunt. Same way if a black actor referred to another black man as some type of monkey. Context matters.

Hypocrisy is kind of the point of the video that I posted. Whether you're a liberal, conservative, or centrist, we should all strive to be better. We should decide on our personal standards and never let a political party compromise them. Either certain things should be personally acceptable, or they shouldn't be. The left and right alike need to stop being hypocrites.

Again, I find a lot of the behavior of our current president unacceptable, and for the people who feel the same, I would hope that would influence them to be less like him, not more.

Last edited:
Implying that Sam Bee is the first and only comedian to ever make incest jokes about Trump and Ivanka.

Also, Ted Nugent called Hillary Clinton a cunt and gets invited to the White House regularly.

Conservatives can eat my entire ass regarding this non-issue.

TrainedRage

Banned
Hey, congratulations on being an enormous bitch Samantha! Yeah you can absoutly call the daughter of the president a cunt for no reason except to get those views and promote her show. But don't get mad when people start calling YOU the cunt.

Can you imagine if a conservative host called the Obama kids selfish dumb bitches who don't know anything about policy? Heads would roll. But keep taking the high road you elitist trash.

mr2xxx

Banned
Fire her, then let’s elect her to President. She says it how it is and doesn’t care if these snowflakes get mad at her non PC talk.

NickFire

While I cannot stand the hypocrisy at play, I do not believe she should lose her show over this. If people choose not to tune in that's fine, and if she loses her show because of that its life. But I am sick of the go after the employment because we disagree with you tactics. From either side.

NickFire

How is this a comparative with a racist tweet?
Both are highly inappropriate public statements, neither of which has caused a smidgen of actual physical harm to anyone. But just answering your question. As already stated, I do not believe she deserves the same punishment as Roseanne. Nor do the viewers who enjoy her show.

It'd only be appropriate for her to lose her show

I don't think she should be fired, but I would like to see an end to political divisiveness being this hateful. And that also certainly includes our current president and the hateful crap he says. "But Trump does it" should only make people want to NOT stoop so low.

Implying that Sam Bee is the first and only comedian to ever make incest jokes about Trump and Ivanka.

I don't think I was implying that she was the first, but if this is a theme then I wasn't aware of it.

Also, Ted Nugent called Hillary Clinton a cunt and gets invited to the White House regularly.

He shouldn't. I think that it's a shame that he does, but I suppose also not surprising.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned

You are right, it’s worse than some vaguely “racist” tweet. And the use of the word cunt isn’t the awful part about it. Inferring that she is a loose woman who is willing to hit on her father takes it to a whole new level.

I don't think I was implying that she was the first, but if this is a theme then I wasn't aware of it.

I can't speak for a lot of comedians, but I know that Stephen Colbert does it regularly. Never a peep about him. Conservatives are just mad about Roseanne getting canceled and want to try to get back at the other side, which is stupid.

He shouldn't. I think that it's a shame that he does, but I suppose also not surprising.

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. It's only okay when their side does it. I hope TBS sticks to their guns and does nothing to harm the show, because this is seriously ridiculous. What Sam Bee did is not at all comparable to calling a black woman an ape.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Roseanne's tweet is obviously worse, but Bee's comment was also bad. They can both be bad.

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. It's only okay when their side does it. I hope TBS sticks to their guns and does nothing to harm the show, because this is seriously ridiculous. What Sam Bee did is not at all comparable to calling a black woman an ape.

I agree with you on this. I don't think we should be attacking advertisers and trying to get people kicked off the air when stuff like this happens. It's better to just not tune in. I find Bee's comment inappropriate and won't be tuning in to her show ... not that I ever did anyways.

Last edited:
Not the same thing as Rosanne. Also, I don’t think people will see the dumbfuckery and egregious bias of the quote in the first place. This isn’t a new law. It is just now exasperated by a zero tolerance policy.

Instead of beseeching the president through reason and dialect idiots like Bee would rather play to ratings and outrage culture and hide behind “comedy.”

The signaling on that show is loud and clear.

I can't speak for a lot of comedians, but I know that Stephen Colbert does it regularly. Never a peep about him. Conservatives are just mad about Roseanne getting canceled and want to try to get back at the other side, which is stupid.

I.
I guess he does it in a more comedic way while Samantha's did it in a more insult way.

zumphry

Banned
if you don't think ol' two scoops wants to fuck ivanka, you haven't been paying attention that long

also lol at our president requesting that the show be taken off the air. that's an actual threat towards freedom of speech, but nobody on the right is up in arms over that

Last edited:
Because women were never oppressed to anywhere close to the degree that black people were, especially in America. Rosanne's tweet was far worse.
That is complete bullshit. Women were the property of their husbands, forced into arranged marriages, and married at a young age, sometimes as young as 9. It used to be okay to beat and rape your wife. Sexual slavery used to be rampant in ancient times. And this stuff is still a huge problem in some countries today. In these countries, women can be stoned to death for "allowing" themselves to be raped, or something as harmless as wishing to get an education. Women have faced these problems for the entirety of humankind. Much longer than the "400 years" people loved to cry about.

Women have had it much worse throughout history than blacks. That is objective fact.

mr2xxx

Banned
Wait, using female specific slurs is not equal to black specific slurs? Why?
It’s different when it’s one of your own vs. a different group. It’s still an insult in Bees case but wouldn’t be as harsh as say a man calling Ivanka a cunt. Same way if a black actor referred to another black man as some type of monkey. Context matters.

I guess he does it in a more comedic way while Samantha's did it in a more insult way.

I wonder if that truly matters, though? Because the rabble-rousing is about the word used and the content matter. While Colbert hasn't ever called Ivanka a cunt, it's the same subject matter.

Personally, it just comes off to me as knee-jerky and retaliatory. It's petty. I don't believe for a second that conservatives actually care about this issue; they're the ones always crying about "manufactured outrage" and freedom in speech in comedy especially.

if you don't think ol' two scoops wants to fuck ivanka, you haven't been paying attention that long

also lol at our president requesting that the show be taken off the air. that's an actual threat towards freedom of speech, but nobody on the right is up in arms over that

Yeah, that's actual real holy shit censorship. You know, the thing that GAF claims to be staunchly against.

That is complete bullshit. Women were the property of their husbands, forced into arranged marriages, and married at a young age, sometimes as young as 9. It used to be okay to beat and rape your wife. Sexual slavery used to be rampant in ancient times. And this stuff is still a huge problem in some countries today. In these countries, women can be stoned to death for "allowing" themselves to be raped, or something as harmless as wishing to get an education. Women have faced these problems for the entirety of humankind. Much longer than the "400 years" people loved to cry about.

Women have had it much worse throughout history than blacks. That is objective fact.

I'm about to blow your mind: some black people are also women.

Last edited:
It's the hypocrisy that gets me. It's only okay when their side does it.

That's kind of the point of the video that I posted. Whether you're a liberal, conservative, or centrist, we should all strive to be better. We should decide on our personal standards and never let a political party compromise them. Either certain things should be personally acceptable, or they shouldn't be. The left and right alike need to stop being hypocrites.

Again, I find a lot of the behavior of our current president unacceptable, and for the people who feel the same, I would hope that would influence them to be less like him, not more.

Last edited:
Okay, I see what you're saying. I agree.

Last edited:
That's kind of the point of the video that I posted. Whether you're a liberal, democrat, or centrist, we should all strive to be better. We should decide on our personal standards and never let a political party compromise them. Either certain things should be acceptable, or they shouldn't be. The left and right alike need to stop being hypocrites.

I'm sorry friend. I can't watch videos at work, so I could only go off of the OP itself.

It's a complicated issue, in terms of what is or should be universally acceptable and what is not. At the end of the day, because we do have free speech in this country, it all comes down to a business's bottom dollar and people's individual moralities. ABC found Roseanne's tweet morally reprehensible. TBS signed off on Sam's script, so they clearly support it, but if they think it'll hurt business, they'll pull her.

The people's court is fickle, and it should remain that way. But with no real righteous moral leader in power on either side of the aisle, it just turns into sniping and anarchy.

KevinKeene

Banned
While I cannot stand the hypocrisy at play, I do not believe she should lose her show over this. If people choose not to tune in that's fine, and if she loses her show because of that its life. But I am sick of the go after the employment because we disagree with you tactics. From either side.

Agreed,same with Roseanne.

NickFire

I'll defend your right to say it, but if you ask me saying someone wants to have sex with their child is one of the most vile things you could ever say about someone. Way worse than any of the crap that riles up the twitter crowd day in and day out.

What is this the 500th controversy Sam Bee has gotten into?

She's an unfunny, vapid, "comedian" who lacks any semblance of dignity or logic.

And another thing...

You wanna shit talk the President? Fine. He stirs shit all the time and heaven forbid someone fire back. But Ivanka rarely ever starts attacking and insulting people. This is like bullying a kid in school cause his dad called you stupid. I'm sick of people picking on Trump's family. Pick on Trump, but leave those guys alone for fuck's sake.

TrainedRage

Banned
Free speech and the inclusion of a television show that may promote her political agenda is the commonality. The tweet Roseanne made was not intended to even be racist. I don't even believe she knew the color of that woman's skin. But yeah both are terrible.

zumphry

Banned
I'll defend your right to say it, but if you ask me saying someone wants to have sex with their child is one of the most vile things you could ever say about someone. Way worse than any of the crap that riles up the twitter crowd day in and day out.

I mean...the joke exists for a reason...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-unsettling-comments-a-roundup-a7353876.html
You wanna shit talk the President? Fine. He stirs shit all the time and heaven forbid someone fire back. But Ivanka rarely ever starts attacking and insulting people. This is like bullying a kid in school cause his dad called you stupid. I'm sick of people picking on Trump's family. Pick on Trump, but leave those guys alone for fuck's sake.

If Ivanka doesn't want to be criticized or talked shit about, she shouldn't involve herself in her father's administration, which she has chosen to and is able to do as a result of nepotism, because we sure as fuck didn't elect her to speak with foreign powers or to show up at embassies representing us.

She's also almost 40, so she sure as fuck isn't even close to being a child in any way.

Last edited:
If Ivanka doesn't want to be criticized or talked shit about, she shouldn't involve herself in her father's administration, which she has chosen to and is able to do as a result of nepotism, because we sure as fuck didn't elect her to speak with foreign powers or to show up at embassies representing us.

She's also almost 40, so she sure as fuck isn't even close to being a child in any way.

"Don't want to get beat up dweeb! Don't hang out with that nerd then, you're just asking for it!"

If the insulting and criticism is based on a policy she has made, fine whatever. If it ain't and it's only based on her place in the administration, then it's disrespectful.

luigimario

Banned
Trump says way more offensive stuff than this all the time. And the joke about incest? Trump LITERALLY said he wants to bang his daughter. If Obama said that then he would be equally ridiculed.

Why do we hold our comedians to higher standards than the those who hold the highest office in the land?

Ivanka is 36 and is an adviser to the president. She's not a child and she doesn't get special treatment just because she happened to grow out of Trump's semen. She's a public official just like anyone in the White House.

Jon Neu

Banned

Well, Roseanne called some woman that she looked like someone of the planet of the apes, and that woman certainly has a resemblance to some characters from the planet of the apes, so therefore by your own logic everything is fine because "the joke" has a provable argument.

Can we make jokes now about Hillary's daughter and his rapist father?

NickFire

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-unsettling-comments-a-roundup-a7353876.html

His comments are not the reason. The hatred towards him by the people who say it are the reason. But I've said all I care to say.

I like to see someone doing "a joke" about Chelsea seducing his father, while Hillary watches and does nothing.

Make a Twitter account. Or hell, don't even bother. Just go to Chelsea Clinton's account and look at the replies to her tweets. You'll see it often.

zumphry

Banned
Well, Roseanne called some woman that she looked like someone of the planet of the apes, and that woman certainly has a resemblance to some characters from the planet of the apes, so therefore by your own logic everything is fine because "the joke" has a provable argument.

Can we make jokes now about Hillary's daughter and his rapist father?

Yeah, go ahead? I don't run a business and I'm not the face of a hugely popular television so, so I'm pretty sure I'll be fine if I make a few jokes about how papa chump wants to fuck his daughter.

His comments are not the reason. The hatred towards him by the people who say it are the reason. But I've said all I care to say.

I don't think even at the height of his unpopularity that people joked about GWB and his daughters. And, well...

Bee and Maher are in the news in some part to Barr. They aren't exactly the same, but allows or should allow the conversation to move where it needs to(imo). Something said or done that offends someone doesn't or shouldn't instantly equal offensive.

Bee and Maher are offending an single person or a family. While Maher and Barr both compared someones appearance to an animal, Maher didn't say anything that was offensive to a race of people, Barr did. I know some are saying "well duh" right now but just stay with me here.

The intent, history, and context needs to matter, not just if someone was offended in determining whether or not something is offensive. And there needs to be understanding and forgiveness as well as remorse and change. It can't just be outrage and "punishment".

As an example, we have said the "blackface" is so wrong and offensive. However...
chappelle_01_0112_act3.jpg

main-qimg-783896dbe02adccd017fd642f9ac9d07-c

While you can certainly find people offended by these, it doesn't belong in the offensive category. It's not done to be hurtful, hateful, to belittle a group of people. But offend someone it can and probably did or does.

Many comedians and their stand up have been in the news and labeled offensive. Jokes on topics of race, gender, or any topic that someone is offended by are being labeled offensive. And someone not finding it offensive are being labeled insensitive. The reality (imo) is that just because you are hurt by a joke, doesn't mean it was designed to be hateful or hurtful. It doesn't mean it's "offensive" just because you are offended.

They are too many people on this planet for it to work that way. We would have nothing if we took the stance of Offended equals Offensive.

Maher saying Trump looks like a Chimp isn't equal to Barr saying someone looks like an Ape.

And Bee apologized for going to far.

We all make mistakes. And we should have the opportunity to apologize and move on. Everyone says or does things that would offend someone. And no one would be ok with the punishment we seem so eager to hand out.

I feel like that is where the conversations of these single stories needs to lead to. Not everything that offends or is hurtful is hate speech and/or offensive.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
non-issue
While I disagree with so much in this topic, this right here is truth. Can we stop pretending name calling and all this other goofy shit is important? Nobody really cares what Roseanne said, nobody gives a shit what SammyB said... it's all just such fake outrage...

Gexxy1

I would say I'd boycott the show, but her show sucks and I never watch it anyway.

Last edited:

zumphry

Banned
"Don't want to get beat up dweeb! Don't hang out with that nerd then, you're just asking for it!"

If the insulting and criticism is based on a policy she has made, fine whatever. If it ain't and it's only based on her place in the administration, then it's disrespectful.

If she's a part of the administration, she's fair game. Spare us the high and mighty stuff.

Top Bottom