• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Same-sex marriage is now legal in Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

Finnish parliament passed the marriage equality law in December 2014. After two years of implementing legislative changes to the law and stuff, it finally comes into full force today.

Wikipedia said:
Same-sex marriage became legal in Finland on 1 March 2017. A bill for legalization was approved by the parliament on 12 December 2014 and signed by the President on 20 February 2015. In order to implement the law, follow-up changes in other acts were required. The legislative measure to make most of these changes was approved by the parliament on 17 February 2016 and signed by President on 8 April 2016.

Legal recognition for same-sex couples in Finland has been available since 2002 in the form of registered partnerships, which provide the same rights and responsibilities as marriage for opposite-sex couples, except e.g. adoption rights. In 2009, the Parliament revised the law allowing couples to adopt the biological children of their partner.

The law is also remarkable because it's the first citizen initiative law that has been approved by the parliament. The petition for equal marriage got 166 851 signatures of the required 50 000 back in 2013.

Same-sex marriage is now finally in force in every Nordic country. Yay!

GvPxuFv.jpg

The status of same-sex relationships around the world

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*raises a glass of champagne to Finland*

Welcome to the party, pal.

Good news.

marriage AND civil unions should be available to anyone (I don't want to marry but I'd like for my GF to be taken care of in case I croak).

The law is also remarkable because it's the first citizen initiative law that has been approved by the parliament. The petition for equal marriage got 166 851 signatures of the required 50 000 back in 2013.

Fake news. We all know petitions don't work. Sad!

wighti

Full disclosure, there was 2(?) or was it just one petition that got the required signatures to repeal said law but neither of them passes the parliament process.

Nordicus

Full disclosure, there was 2(?) or was it just one petition that got the required signatures to repeal said law but neither of them passes the parliament process.
Thankfully petition got voted down 120-48.

Those people can get fuuuuuuuucked

wighti

There was even some breaking in the right wing parties as they had to issue reprimends to a few of their MPs for voting against the repeal attempts.

They don't consider equal marital rights to be questions of principle and as such the entire party shouldve voted for the repeal

Xe4

Banned
Yay for Finland! I always found it funny how far Europe was behind socially compared to economically. Northern countries are the exception for a lot of issues, but as seen here, not all.

KRod-57

Banned
Congrats to Finland on improving your already superb human rights record.

America got marriage equality via courts.

Finland got marriage equality via the legislative process.

All that means is the legislative in Finland can legally take same sex marriage rights away, where as in the US it is something that is protected under the constitution.

Nabbis

The amount of butthurt in the Christian community is quite amusing. Suddenly the commoners care about theological consistency.

Wow, I'm surprised it wasn't already. Congrats Finland, it's soothing to hear some good news every once in a while.

many countries, including mine sadly, made a point of allowing quasi marriages that just aren't marriages. It's an embarrassment really but conservatives are still vehemently against it and centre and left parties aren't pushing hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom