• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

gsmarena_004.jpg

- 5.7-inch, Quad HD Res (1440 x 2560 pixels) AMOLED display 515ppi
- 2.5D Gorilla Glass 3
- Snapdragon 805 chipset
- 16MP sensor with optical image stabilization
- The front-facing camera has a 3.7MP sensor and a f/1.9 aperture
- LTE Cat. 6 connectivity
- Exynos 5433 chipset and LTE Cat. 4 connectivity
- redesigned S Pen stylus that offers better grip.
- S-Pen writing feel more like using a standard pen
- The S-Pen will also work a bit like your computer mouse. For example, clicking and dragging over the many thumbnails of photos in your gallery will allow you to select multiple items by dragging, just like you would on your PC's desktop
- Samsung has also improved its S-Note app, so now you can snap a picture with your camera and edit it afterwards, even if the note is titled (S-Note automatically rotates it).
- Improve battery life by 7.5% through optimisation with only increase of 20 mAH battery from Note 3 (3,220mAH)
- Note 4 features three microphones for noise suppression so that a special app can silence selected sources of noise from an audio recording.
- The phablet has a metal frame like the Galaxy Alpha and a faux leather back, which will come in Frosted white, Charcoal black, Bronze Gold and Blossom Pink.
- NO water resistance though ( like the Alpha)
- The Galaxy Note 4 will be available in October, the pricing isn't announced just yet.

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge

With the phone locked, the curved side can display the Quick Glance info (time and notifications). When you wake the screen, the side displays notifications for various features, including timer and flashlight shortcuts and even a ruler (which works surprisingly well on the curved side).

With the phone finally unlocked, the number of options grows threefold. You can keep shortcuts on the side for easy access or use the curved side for at-a-glance info (say a Twitter feed or a stock ticker). Or you can use it to enhance multitasking by switching between several screens (think virtual desktops). Event switching between the pages of the homescreen or the app drawer is also handled by the curved side.

Individual apps can put the curved side to use too, usually to keep the main screen free from clutter. Both the camera and the video player put their controls on the side so the screen is left to the viewfinder/video. Samsung will release an API to enable third-party devs to utilize the potential of the curved side as well.

- Galaxy Note Edge is based on the Galaxy Note 4 internally, but it's the screen that makes all the difference.
- The folded side adds an extra 160 pixels so the resolution grows to 1,600 x 2,560 (the highest on a pocketable device yet if you keep note on those things) but it also makes the Galaxy Note Edge a bit wider than its straight-screened sibling.

Similar

- Beyond that it's a Galaxy Note 4 with Snapdragon 805 or Exynos 5433 chipset, -- - Android 4.4
- 16MP OIS camera
- S Pen stylus

Differences

- Curved screen
- Options for select apps will come up on curved part of screen
- The Note Edge has a slightly smaller battery (3,000mAh vs. 3,220mAh)
- USB port 2.0
- Two flip wallets where edge remains visible
- Available in select markets
- SDK released today

- The Samsung Galaxy Note Edge is expected to launch by the end of this year.

Articles

- The Verge Note Edge video
- GSM Arena
- Engadget Note Edge

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Hmm..some people on twitter are saying that the Note Edge is unusable if you're left handed

Aiii

So not worth it
The Edge has a nifty design choice.

But if you're left handed, you're pretty much not intended to use that phone, I guess. (yes, you could turn it upside down, but that doesn't exactly help when you're going to use the phone to, you know, make calls with).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
CURVE so sexy!!!

Mindwipe

The Edge looks a heck of a lot better than I had expected. Wow.

Still Touchwiz, so no, but actually seems both more practical and attractive than I'd ever anticipated.

RoKKeR

Woah...Edge looks sweet, wasn't expecting that.

Who knows how practical it is but it looks nice at least.

Radec

Wow, Note is getting a real metal frame instead of plastic with metal-looking finish.

The edge looks great tho.

Bgamer90

Banned
Both look pretty nice but the Edge doesn't look practical for everyday use at all -- seems like it would be annoying to use/hold.

Kud Dukan

That video from Verge of the Note Edge made it look pretty sweet. May have to think about getting one at some point.

massoluk

Banned
Hahaha, wtf at Galaxy Note Edge. This is the gimmickiest of all gimmicks, it's total definition of gimmick. "Let's throw a bunch of shits at the wall and see what stick" philosphy at its greatest (or lowest?)

Raistlin

Both look pretty nice but the Edge doesn't look practical for everyday use at all -- seems like it would be annoying to use/hold.
Since it is independent (at least based on what is said here), I'm hoping it has it's own unique rejection handling. If done well, it could be fine.

Ehh. Im good with my note 3.

The best features of this phone are software based and no doubt will be ported in time.

Never cared about the frame. The thing is supposed to be in a case.

The improved spen is cool but I barely use it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Thinking about it a bit, but the Edge is a great idea, but executed wrong.

Wrong as in, it would be great as a quick info/shortcut screen, on the top or bottom of the phone.

At the bottom would be best, if you put it down on a table or next to your bed, you can put important notifications and the clock on the edge, so you can see stuff on it right there. And when you put it in your pocket (I reckon I'm not alone in having the bottom up when I slide it in my pocket), it could be read by just opening your pocket a tiny bit. Phone buzzes, quickly check why and find out if you need to take it out or not bother.

Would be a great addition. Shame they put it on the side really.

Is there even such a thing as right handed and left handed for phones? What does it mean to use a phone left handed? Do you hold it in your left hand? Or do you hold it in your right hand and poke it with your left?

Futureman

didn't LG or someone have an edge phone a few years back? Seems more like a "Oh cool" feature but not really THAT useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom