• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle

Got the update yesterday and my battery is draining much faster than before. Lots of crashes on dolphin and a few other apps I've been using too.

solarus

So for people that have used this for an extended period if time now... How is it? Any regrets?
This is my first choice when it comes to upgrading from my moto g, I'd get a used model though. My other cheaper choices are z3 compact, lg g3 or galaxy s5.

So for people that have used this for an extended period if time now... How is it? Any regrets?
This is my first choice when it comes to upgrading from my moto g, I'd get a used model though. My other cheaper choices are z3 compact, lg g3 or galaxy s5.

zero regrets.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Lots of stuff the phone comes with by default that I can't remove or disable. First time ever I've considered rooting but afraid of messing something up or losing access to features I depend on (GPS, mainly).

I was really horrified by the Flipboard app that takes over the full page in the Verizon variant of the Galaxy Note 4. Apparently that's preinstalled and can't be removed on a non-rooted phone. I hope Samsung comes to their senses and doesn't install that on the Galaxy Note 5.

EDIT: Looks like it's just a setting. Will send that to my cousin since he really hates this on his GN4.

had it since Day -1 and i don't regret a thing. it anything it's too good and ruins how i feel about everything else!

turnbuckle

Nah Dolphin has just been shitty the past 6 months.

I was using the old version from over a year ago before the design change. I resisted upgrading to the new version until Lillipop. The old version I had used no longer worked in lollipop (crashed 100% of the time upon opening) so I reluctantly upgraded to the new one.

I wish I didn't prefer it's UI, tab handling, and gestures over the rest but I do. It feels like the closest approximation to what Chrome and Firefox are for me on PC.

solarus

zero regrets.

had it since Day -1 and i don't regret a thing. it anything it's too good and ruins how i feel about everything else!

Alright I made the plunge and bought one today, should come in a few days. It seems like the perfect phone to me.
32gb base storage, micro sd, removable battery, amazing screen and the best android camera. The fact that the s6 no longer has a removable battery or micro sd and the note 6 will likely follow that trend just reaffirmed my decision. Can't wait.

Has anyone had a WiFi problem on the phone since the Lollipop update?

I have a Verizon Note 4 and was ecstatic when my work finally implemented Wifi. But a week or so after they rolled it out, the Lollipop update became available, so I updated. Now my work Wifi will not connect, I get authentication errors. I can still connect at home, but even at home, it will randomly drop and have to be connected again.

I have looked online and found this is a common Lollipop issue. But I can't find a fix. I don't have access to the router to reboot it. Anyone get this issue and have any potential fixes? I know it's my device. It's a retail store and I can connect 10 laptops and tablets and TV's to the Wifi then try with my phone and nope, error.

I am now a Note 4 Edge owner. My work phone has been a Razr Maxx. My personal is OnePlus One. Due to the HR director leaving, and the fact that I'm in IT, I have acquired her phone to replace mine which is out of warranty. She only had it for 2 weeks, so it's relatively new. In addition she has a wireless charger and this tech actually works.

Gonna encrypt it now (HIPAA compliance requirement) and then see how this newfangled edge screen works.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am now a Note 4 Edge owner. My work phone has been a Razr Maxx. My personal is OnePlus One. Due to the HR director leaving, and the fact that I'm in IT, I have acquired her phone to replace mine which is out of warranty. She only had it for 2 weeks, so it's relatively new. In addition she has a wireless charger and this tech actually works.

Gonna encrypt it now (HIPAA compliance requirement) and then see how this newfangled edge screen works.
That's better than a promotion. Note Edge yes

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Android system and android OS still take up the most percent when I check the battery stats. Why is that? 26% for Android System, 18% for Android OS, and 14% for screen (on screen time is 5 hours and 34 mins).

Phone is at 6% BTW with 16 hours off charger.

i really hate lollipop - i really havent noticed any positive changes.

the fact i cant delete any images off my SD card as i take them is fucking ridiculous. The prompts it gives to remove images dont even work. I heard you have to connect your mobile to your PC to delete anything you save on the SD card. I have no idea what the reasoning is for this.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
i really hate lollipop - i really havent noticed any positive changes.

the fact i cant delete any images off my SD card as i take them is fucking ridiculous. The prompts it gives to remove images dont even work. I heard you have to connect your mobile to your PC to delete anything you save on the SD card. I have no idea what the reasoning is for this.
I can delete pictures from the SD card with Lollipop now. On Kit Kat, I couldn't do it. I use quick pic as my gallery app and all I had to do was enable it.

Schlep

One to keep the screen from getting scratched, or one that'll help it survive a trip down the stairs (without you)?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just wound up ordering myself a Note Edge. Almost got the G4 but I want to wait for LG's next attempt.

I have a couple questions for anyone in the know:

If you root it, how much of the edge functionality can be saved? Is it all just apk stuff you could reinstall? Does anyone know if a brand new one will come with Kit Kat or Lollipop, and should I hold off on updating if I can?

Anything I should disable immediately for speed?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still getting used to it- gotta kill some old habits- but this thing is seriously a beast, particularly for one-handed use which is honestly not something I'd seen covered in any of the reviews I watched. Pretty awesome. Feels quite a bit better in the hand than my Note 3 too.

I'm still on 4.4 (on T-Mobile- no idea if the update is out yet). I installed a number of apps for basic functionality and the Play Store is just riddled with comments saying that 5.0 completely broke them if not causing them to crash the phone outright. I see a lot of claims that multitasking and stability are steps backward as well. Looks to me like Lollipop is a major misfire, and I'll definitely be delaying the update as long as I can to see if things improve.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
^ The lollipop update is already out for T-mobile. The only things I fucking hate are the notifications on the lock screen, the pop up notifications that you just cannot fucking toggle them off, and the awful music lock screen that's such a downgrade compared to Kit Kat. Aside from those 3 things, the update hasn't given me any problems. When I first updated, I noticed a decrease in battery life, but after like a week and a half, it seemed to have gone back to normal.

hohoXD123

Still getting used to it- gotta kill some old habits- but this thing is seriously a beast, particularly for one-handed use which is honestly not something I'd seen covered in any of the reviews I watched. Pretty awesome. Feels quite a bit better in the hand than my Note 3 too.

I'm still on 4.4 (on T-Mobile- no idea if the update is out yet). I installed a number of apps for basic functionality and the Play Store is just riddled with comments saying that 5.0 completely broke them if not causing them to crash the phone outright. I see a lot of claims that multitasking and stability are steps backward as well. Looks to me like Lollipop is a major misfire, and I'll definitely be delaying the update as long as I can to see if things improve.

Stability is a step back, but one-handed mode is much better thanks to the notification bar not going all the way down, that was the only time I had to use two hands with Kitkat, notifications on lockscreen is pretty useful, and some of the stock apps also look better with material design. I'd still recommend Lollipop, but can understand someone wanting to stay on 4.4 if the previous things I mentioned don't matter much to them.

Yep it just started working a few weeks back.

Oh and this too, no more having to connect it to the PC to sort files out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
^ The lollipop update is already out for T-mobile. The only things I fucking hate are the notifications on the lock screen, the pop up notifications that you just cannot fucking toggle them off, and the awful music lock screen that's such a downgrade compared to Kit Kat. Aside from those 3 things, the update hasn't given me any problems. When I first updated, I noticed a decrease in battery life, but after like a week and a half, it seemed to have gone back to normal.
Sure it's out for the Edge too, or just the Note 4? I haven't even gotten a notice yet.

Based on pretty recent reviews, Switchr, "Lock Screen" (the app), and Status Bar Expander are pretty much completely incompatible with Lollipop and need to be updated. Maybe in Switchr's case it's just certain functionality but I'm still pretty wary. Those three apps are critical to my use of the Edge and there's definitely nothing in Lollipop thus far that's worth my giving them up.
Stability is a step back, but one-handed mode is much better thanks to the notification bar not going all the way down, that was the only time I had to use two hands with Kitkat, notifications on lockscreen is pretty useful, and some of the stock apps also look better with material design. I'd still recommend Lollipop, but can understand someone wanting to stay on 4.4 if the previous things I mentioned don't matter much to them.
Hmm, what do you mean about the notification bar not going all the way down?

I have Status Bar Expander on the edge screen and can just hit it with my thumb to pop open the shade which is amazing. I can hit it again to close it but you don't have to swipe up from the very bottom of the screen to close the shade on Kit Kat, and the bottom isn't at all hard for me to reach anyway so I don't know why that would affect one-handed use. Incidentally this is by far the best phone I've ever had for that purpose despite its size.

Maybe we use different grips on the phone :p Does your thumb rest around the top half of the screen when using it one handed? I have comfortable access to this triangle-ish shape the way I hold it (not my hand or phone):
EGZQiYF.png

So I've centered my most important stuff all around the bottom right corner. I cannot possibly reach recent apps button one-handed without some discomfort/uneasy gripping, a problem with Switchr completely obliterates to such an extent that I feel a little bad for the default app card switcher, which I'll never see again (I don't like it anyway... and it's pretty slow to load! o_O).

kmfdmpig

Sorry for the bump.

I got a free Note 3 back in November or so as part of a survey/app usage monitoring program. The six months of that ended and now I'm getting another one. I had the chance to choose which phone and chose Note Edge over Standard Note 4. I should have it in a few days. I'm starting to regret choosing the Edge now as the battery life is worse, the edge seems kind of gimmicky and the main screen is smaller.

For those that have had both are there any thoughts on what advantages the Edge will offer me? Also, does Nova Prime play nice with the Edge or would I just want to stick with TW?

Thanks!

Samsung Galaxy Note 5’s screen-off Memo feature gets ported to Note 3, Note 4 and Note Edge

And now you can get it on your older Note devices if you aren’t interested in upgrading to a Note 5. The work was done by one astute XDA member who was able to port it to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. The app also apparently works just fine on a Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge or S6 Edge Plus, but as you know those phones don’t have S-Pens so there’s no way to automatically launch the app without turning the display on.

XDA thread

works fine!

Volotaire

Sorry for the bump.

I got a free Note 3 back in November or so as part of a survey/app usage monitoring program. The six months of that ended and now I'm getting another one. I had the chance to choose which phone and chose Note Edge over Standard Note 4. I should have it in a few days. I'm starting to regret choosing the Edge now as the battery life is worse, the edge seems kind of gimmicky and the main screen is smaller.

For those that have had both are there any thoughts on what advantages the Edge will offer me? Also, does Nova Prime play nice with the Edge or would I just want to stick with TW?

Thanks!

Don't worry about the bump. Use this as an OT thread if need be.

Luigi87

This is gonna probably be a dumb question, but I was planning to get a Note 4 in December... Is it worth getting a screen protector still / does that affect the S Pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom