• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Chromebook |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ty_hot

...why can't you just open a browser window and press Ctrl+O?

If I wanted to see one picture I would do that. Try doing that with 100+ pictures.
And since the last update the page https://play.google.com/music/listen istn working for me anymore (and working everywhere else)
the same for trying to search from the 'address bar' (idk the name of it). I write there and nothing happens. I have to go to google.com and then search from there. Annoying.

I wish Google would add support for password protected rars/zips. Seems kind of silly not to with how common they are.

Chrome OS is definitely getting better and has in the 5 months I've owned my chromebook. A lot of little things still need refining. For example, you can't zoom a photo when viewing in the photo viewer. That is a very basic feature that needs to be added.

I'm at a loss. My chromebook has fucked up the last 24 hours of my life so bad.

In the files app I can not delete, copy, paste, or even open some files. This is on the Google drive tab of the files app. But even copying from the download tab to the google drive tab and vice versa does not work. Just nothing happens at all. On Google drive website itself I have no issues. The files app is just completely booked for me I've done a power wash and still the problem persists. No idea what to do and I'm really stressing out. The files app is a piece of crap on this thing.

Exokell

Banned
I cant fucking belive that chromebooks are so popular on amazon, samsung chromebook is at no.1 and hp chromebook is out of stock.

ty_hot

how about the QuickOffice integration in Chrome OS?
I have a Samsung Chromebook (that ARM one), but I read the chromeupdate post and it seemed its not available for my devide, am I correct?

KalBalboa

Banned
Just bought my first Chromebook: $249 Samsung.

Picked up a 32 gig SD card, used Swap RAM to add 2 extra gigs. Loving it so far.

KalBalboa

Banned
A few days later... Man, I really can't do scriptwriting on this, can I?

I might return it towards that Asus windows 8 laptop going for $279 right now.

Drain You

Saw this thread get bumped and I just feel like I gotta say I've been using this Chromebook for over a year now ( bought in Jan of 2013 ) and it has worked flawlessly. The only gripe I had when I got it was no Netflix support and I'm glad that has since been remedied. Perfect solution for someone who has a dedicated desktop but wants good portable system with a physical keyboard.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm glad this thread popped up. I seem to be an issue with my chromebook. Last week I had some DNS issues on all the computers on my network. A simple release/renew took care of all my other computers but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it on the chromebook.

I've tried just turning it on and off, disconnecting and reconnecting to the network but it still doesn't work. Anyone know how to release/renew on Chrome OS or something else I should do?

I'm glad this thread popped up. I seem to be an issue with my chromebook. Last week I had some DNS issues on all the computers on my network. A simple release/renew took care of all my other computers but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it on the chromebook.

I've tried just turning it on and off, disconnecting and reconnecting to the network but it still doesn't work. Anyone know how to release/renew on Chrome OS or something else I should do?
I'm not sure what the proper solution to your problem is but you can reset everything (it won't really erase anything since all your settings are saved on the cloud anyway) to the factory settings by going to the settings tab, think the option is all the way at the bottom.

KalBalboa

Banned
What is your problem with your Chromebook? You were in love with it, then hated it, and now back in love, it seems.

I'm certainly not back "in love" with it. That's a serious stretch from considering not returning it, heh.

Basically, I didn't think it'd be a stretch to do scriptwriting on this sucker. After a week of trying poor Google Docs templates, seeing no real offline solution, and realizing the best option was to use Linux on the Chromebook, I kind of fell out of the honeymoon phase.

Remote desktop so far seems... ok, but it's a band-aid if anything. I just want to run a good scriptwriting app on a mobile platform. I'm 50/50 on the return right now.

I'm disappointed in Google and how they've failed to really update chrome OS to do some pretty basic things.

I still want password protected rar/zip support.

Still need to be able to upload to Google music. Make it work like Google drive dragging and dropping through the website. Whatever. Just make it work.

Zooming photos in the built in photo viewer? I mean come on how is this not possible?

My samsung chromebook experience hasn't been totally bad but I don't think I'd buy another one. Would probably just get a cheap laptop or pony up and get a macbook again.

KalBalboa

Banned
My biggest issue is currently music playback. I side-loaded Ubuntu for script writing, which has been nice, but not having some basic local functionality by this point in 2014 is a little baffling.

I guess they really don't want to tip-toe into "true laptop territory" because they'll suddenly be under more scrutiny.

So the Canada website has been updated with the specifications of both Chromebook 2 models.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/office/chrome-devices/

I was a little confused earlier because I read conflicting reports on the amount of ram, with some saying the smaller model would still have 2 GB, but it seems both will have 4 GBs?

The 13 inch one sounds temping for the HD screen, but is the lower resolution all that noticeable on the 11.6 inch version? Plus I can just reuse the case I have for it as well.

ty_hot

I have a Samsung Chrromebook and some basic functions simply doesnt work. If I plug something on the USB to see photos it just takes more than 4 seconds to load a single imagem. Come on, any phone can do it in miliseconds.

WHen using Hangout the computer just becomes almost unresponsive, when I am on a hangout videochat i cant do anything. And that includes using in-hangout apps, loke the youtube playback, it works really slow, 10fps I would say.

My Series 3 took a tumble and cracked its screen this week; is it worth trying to replace the screen or should I just get a new one?

FWIW, I used it for browsing + remote desktop, and liked the size, KB, and relative durability. Definitely didn't handle videos that well though, and that was one of the minor issues that I had with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom