• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung confirms 43" QN90B NEO QLED has 144hz panel (US version)

dolabla

I assume this applies to worldwide as well (I know UK and Canada for sure), but you just never know with Samsung. From Amazon:

papfhjP.png

For anybody who doesn't know, this will a be another smaller display on the market to compete with the 42" OLED's but it's Mini LED. It has four HDMI 2.1 inputs. The QN90B 55" and larger sizes don't have the 144hz refresh (120hz instead) which is shocking coming from Samsung due to their history of removing features smaller sets instead (like last year's QN90A that was completely stripped down and only had a 60hz panel, no VRR, etc.). You have to upgrade to the Q95B to get 144hz.

Price from a couple of US retailers who have their pages already up are $1199 and $1197 so I assume that's pretty accurate.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
144Hz seems aimed at PCs then, I can't see the reasoning behind a 144Hz TV. It would make no sense.

It IS smoother running 120fps at 144hz, but not to the point where you'd bother, probably.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That doesn't bother well for consoles.

144Hz is neither divisible for 30, 60 or 120.
That will make that TV a turd for home users.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I got an aneurysm reading that... wtf?

how can you even think that for a second?

It's technically true, but 120@144hz is probably barely even perceptible. 120@240hz vs 120@120hz you could probably notice a difference.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
if you want to see what sky high demand looks like then take a look at the Graphics card demand over the past couple of years or the Steam Deck.
Those things are not related at all. And GPU demand includes the bitcoin people. Still. Those things are not related.

Last edited:

Banned
It's technically true, but 120@144hz is probably barely even perceptible. 120@240hz vs 120@120hz you could probably notice a difference.

dude, if you play a game at 120fps and your screen refreshes at 144hz it will literally stutter... you will have uneven frame delivery due to the mismatch of framerate and screen refresh.

your framerate has to always be either the exact refresh of your monitor or evenly divisible by the refresh of the monitor in order to appear smooth and without stutter.

running 120fps on 144hz will be shit, it will look awful

at 144hz you can use 48fps, 72fps or 144fps and nothing in between if you want consistent and smooth frame delivery

Last edited:

AV

dude, if you play a game at 120fps and your screen refreshes at 144hz it will literally stutter... you will have uneven frame delivery due to the mismatch of framerate and screen refresh.

your framerate has to always be either the exact refresh of your monitor or evenly divisible by the refresh of the monitor in order to appear smooth and without stutter.

running 120fps on 144hz will be shit, it will look awful

at 144hz you can use 48fps, 72fps or 144fps and nothing in between if you want consistent and smooth frame delivery

Fair enough, makes sense, never tried it. Assumed these days monitors would have the tech to make that not the case.

Banned
Fair enough, makes sense, never tried it. Assumed these days monitors would have the tech to make that not the case.

they have, it's called VRR, but that means that the screen will run at the same refresh as the framerate of the source. meaning you will get no gain kn smoothness or anything like that just because the theoretical max refresh is 144hz

and you can of course usually chose between multiple different locked refresh rates on them.

this Samsung TV will most likely support 50hz, 60hz, 100hz, 120hz and 144hz depending on what you use it for. it also has VRR.

if you watch TV in Europe it will run at 50hz or 100hz if you use frame interpolation, if you watch TV in the US it will run at 60hz or 120hz with frame interpolation, if you play a console on it it will run at 60hz or 120hz depending on system and game... and if you plug in a PC you will most likely be able to choose freely between 50, 60, 100, 120 and 144hz, maybe even 72hz, 90hz or maybe even more.

That doesn't bother well for consoles.

144Hz is neither divisible for 30, 60 or 120.
That will make that TV a turd for home users.
It doesn't work like that. For TV and console content they'll just set it to 60 and 120 Hz (depending on the mode selected), obviously.

My 60 Hz pc monitor can easily be overclocked to 75 Hz because it actually uses a 75 Hz panel. That doesn't mean 60 Hz is shit - it's good old 60 Hz, indiscernible from a 60 Hz-only panel, it's not 60 Hz being done at 75 Hz. It's just that my panel can go higher.

A similar difference has been employed for decades with PAL vs US content, 50 fps vs 60 fps, without requiring a panel change at all, there were never 50/100 Hz panels to start with, but often PAL TV's claimed to do 100 Hz while using 120 Hz panels. Give it NTSC signal and low and behold, they do 60/120 Hz.

The divisible part of the equation you stated is only useful if you want to repeat frames to increase fields refreshed to increase motion resolution, use intelligent frame creation or black frame insertion.

1080p sets refresh 300 lines per refresh, 4K sets refresh 600 lines, so technically you need 4 refresh cycles to have a "whole new frame" in both cases (read: ideally every OLED, LCD screen should be 240 Hz to display 60 Hz content, apply same rule to other refresh rates - with diminishing returns the higher you go). Having more hertz than the content helps in delivering all the lines you're supposed to in the time the frame has to exist before it's replaced by another. Intelligent frame creation creates middle frames between the previous frame and the next to improve how motion looks and intelligent black insertion does what CRT's and Plasmas did flickering between the frame you see and a black one before the next comes in, this reduces brightness but increases lines refreshed per cycle (because in LCD panels that use it, it keeps refreshing the panel while the blacklight is turned off).

Anyway... Nothing to worry about. But a 240 Hz or 288 Hz panel would be better.

Last edited:

dolabla

Cant go wrong with a Samsung. Love my 65" QN90A.
No doubt they put out some impressive sets on their higher end and bigger sizes, but in the past they have stripped away features for the smaller sizes to the point they're not even recognizable compared to their bigger counterparts. This year seems to be completely different and imo it's because of the release of the 42" OLED's (thank you competition). I'm now back on board after a pretty long hiatus of buying Samsung tv's. I was going to pick up a 42" OLED, but now I'm leaning toward 43" QN90B.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
No doubt they put out some impressive sets on their higher end and bigger sizes, but in the past they have stripped away features for the smaller sizes to the point they're not even recognizable compared to their bigger counterparts. This year seems to be completely different and imo it's because of the release of the 42" OLED's (thank you competition). I'm now back on board after a pretty long hiatus of buying Samsung tv's. I was going to pick up a 42" OLED, but now I'm leaning toward 43" QN90B.

You'll appreciate the high peak brightness when viewing HDR content. Just look at the difference in peak brightness:

Screenshot-2022-04-02-092907.png

Last edited:

dolabla

You'll appreciate the high peak brightness when viewing HDR content.
Can't wait to see it. You get that insane brightness. Plus they seem to be getting closer and closer to OLED in blacks and you don't have to worry about burn in (even though OLED seems to have gotten a whole lot better with that).

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Can't wait to see it. You get that insane brightness. Plus they seem to be getting closer and closer to OLED in blacks and you don't have to worry about burn in (even though OLED seems to have gotten a whole lot better with that).

Right. After I got burn in on my previous OLED I'm not messing with the tech anymore. I'm going to continue with LCD until Micro LED becomes viable. I'm very happy with my QN90A. One game I will recommend you try if you own a PS5 is Returnal on your Samsung.

Screenshot-2022-04-02-093828.png

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Interesting monitor will be looking forward to reviews.

144hz shows that even TV manufacturers are now catering to PC gamers since consoles are plummeting into irrelevancy.
Are you another deranged PCMR fool.

While GPUs are massively in demand, so are next-gen consoles if you've paying attention. In fact console gaming still offers better value, and smart people have both.

Knightime_X

I have a QN90A and absolutely love it, the dark parts are rather great.
Not AS dark as oled, but pretty damn close.
Close enough to where I can't tell much of a difference from the jet black bezel surrounding the TV during normal viewing.

And the brightness is ridiculous at night if you don't tone it down.
Like a miniature quasar.

Lone Wolf

Right. After I got burn in on my previous OLED I'm not messing with the tech anymore. I'm going to continue with LCD until Micro LED becomes viable. I'm very happy with my QN90A. One game I will recommend you try if you own a PS5 is Returnal on your Samsung.

Screenshot-2022-04-02-093828.png
The QN90A is an awesome TV. I'm looking to get a QN90B by the end of the year. OLED does not meet my needs.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The QN90A is an awesome TV. I'm looking to get a QN90B by the end of the year. OLED does not meet my needs.

Notice how proponents of OLED downplayed peak brightness for years and now the main selling point of the QD-OLED is its greater peak brightness, Can't make the shit up. Look how the discoloration of the grass is lost(barely stands out) on the OLED due to its lack of brightness.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
So what's the general consensus on the q90b vs the c2 as a pc monitor? Burn in aside, is either really better for that express purpose? I'm having hard time finding anything about color accuracy for either monitor which is fairly important for me.

nkarafo

I don't like the odd 144 number. Does the TV also support 120hz? That should be much better for 60 and 30 fps content.

ethomaz

Banned
You'll appreciate the high peak brightness when viewing HDR content. Just look at the difference in peak brightness:

Screenshot-2022-04-02-092907.png
I’m watching a football game from a OLED right now and the picture is way brighter than what is showed in that pic.

And I’m in middle of day with a bright room.
At night you perceive even more brighter.

If you say to me which movie/part I can take a picture for comparison.

PS. Unless the picture par is in a cloudy day ☁️

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I’m watching a football game from a OLED right now and the picture is way brighter than what is showed in that pic.

And I’m in middle of day with a bright room.
At night you perceive even more brighter.

If you say to me which movie/part I can take a picture for comparison.

PS. Unless the practice par is in a cloudy day ☁️

Your OLED is dim. The Nits are what they are.

ethomaz

Banned
Your OLED is dim. The Nits are what they are.
Sure but it is weird the comparison.
The non HDR content here is brighter than what that video shows… actually I have no ideia how that guy get a muted picture like that to take a picture.

Unless the image showing is from a cloudy day and so the high brightness interpretation is just wrong.

That is why I asked the movie/part to try myself here.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Sure but it is weird the comparison.
The non HDR content here is brighter than what that video shows… actually I have no ideia how that guy get a muted picture like that to take a picture.

Unless the image showing is from a cloudy day and so the high brightness interpretation is just wrong.

That is why I asked the movie/part to try myself here.

Here is the vid:

ethomaz

Banned
Here is the vid:

I meant the movie playing in the TVs.
If I take a picture with something else it won’t be a like to like situation.

Edit - I believe I found them.
Edit 2 - Nope I believe the videos are his personal.
Edit - I found only the Village demo but not the playground one.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I found why the OLED image is dark.
He is using the Vivid (Vivo in mine) preset… and that preset is more darker than for example Cinema for HDR that I use.

I could not find the same video in his playlist but there are others similar that I run and it was not that weird dark look as in his videos until I found out the preset he was using.

LG CX while not having the same brightness than Samsung LEDs it is still way brighter than what the video shows.

Last edited:
What? 120/24=5. 24 is evenly compatible with 120. But 144 is not compatible with 30 or 60fps.
Ah my mistake, that said 144hz has been the standard on monitors since the ps3 era I wonder if there's something to help with rendering 30 and 60 on games. Usually the issue is more due to video watching.

Top Bottom