• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still rocking my Note 1 and loving it.

Emily Chu

Banned
dasdajoke

nexus is so beatuiful

True DAT I'd kill for a new nexus phone with the same design but make the back all solid jet black and make it 5.5"

Awwwwwww yeah

I wonder who's gonna be making nexus phones this year Samsung seems pretty crowded with the note 2 and the S3 atm

Is there even room for a nexus Samsung phone this year ?

Cipherr

Either the Galaxy is the flagship or this is. You can't have 2. I, leaning toward this not being the flagship.

Sure you can. The Galaxy S line = Flagship The Galaxy Note line = Flag Fleet or some shit. Flag Aircraft Carrier/Spaceship or whatever. Just anything bigger than a ship. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After much deliberation, I've decided to switch to Android (from four years of iOS)...Google's OS just leaped to appealing levels after seeing enough hands-on videos that shows it no longer lags terribly. And I've love to have some of that sweet customization features!

Was contemplating on an S3 but the Note 2 won me over with its screen size (have played ard with a friend's original Note, didn't turn out to be that bad) and Wacom digitizer (I'll be the first to admit it's a gimmick but it's a cool gimmick for an illustrator like me, especially when I use a Wacom tablet everyday haha)

Now if only it didn't take that long to be released...HARGH

Unless it includes a digitizer? Samsung oughta have two versions of the S4, one with the S-pen and one without...

They probably wont put a Wacom in the S line. The Galaxy Note line has been to successful for that, and it clearly hits a new demographic. They will want to continue to sell devices to both markets there.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its really strange, Im pretty sure they sold most of the Note 1's overseas. It seems like they would be eager to leak details about its release there.

Its annoying because I've been watching £360 prices on the original Note for a month, just waiting for what I thought was an inevitable price drop but it refuses to arrive due to no solid Note II release info. Rrrrrrrgh!

Emily Chu

Banned
this needs to be posted again for reference
bweYil.jpg

it ain't that much smaller then a Nexus 7

shit...

I want one.
Nexus 7 - Home use only
Note 2 - outside only

It's a tablet experience on the go with and paired that with my unlimited 4G @ verizon to replace my Galaxy Nexus its a win win all around.

the only downside to me is that it's not a Nexus Note.... : (

this needs to be posted again for reference
http://i.imgur.com/bweYil.jpg

it ain't that much smaller then a Nexus 7

shit...

I want one.

It's a tablet experience on the go with and paired that with my unlimited 4G @ verizon to replace my Galaxy Nexus its a win win all around.

the only downside to me is that it's not a Nexus Note.... : (

yeah, and if you get it on Verizon, with that locked bootloader, it may not even be a CM Note.

Emily Chu

Banned
Either the Galaxy is the flagship or this is. You can't have 2. I, leaning toward this not being the flagship.

sounds like a S3 user or a dirty dirty iOS user...

I kid, I kid,

I kid because I love

meh it's the hot new shit so Note II is the flagship

pxleyes

Banned
What? lol
Flagship (by definition) is a singular product, store, brand, or even ship. You simply don't have multiple within the same class device. 2 android flagships? Uh...no.

Honestly it look like Faceless is the only one calling it a flagship device. Delusions of grandeur?

Flagship (by definition) is a singular product, store, brand, or even ship. You simply don't have multiple within the same class device. 2 android flagships? Uh...no.

Honestly it look like Faceless is the only one calling it a flagship device. Delusions of grandeur?

it's not in the same class as the Galaxy S

it's Galaxy Note

But really though, why is that phone so big

Maybe because there is a market large enough to make the product profitable?

There are quite a few people who like large screens and don't mind the trade off of having a larger phone.

People with larger hands.
Men/Women who carry a bag and store their phones in them.
People whose use of the phone involves a lot more texting/internet use than actually talking on the phone.
People who commute via public transport and want a phone that can double as an e-Reader.
People who use bluetooth headsets.
People who write a lot in languages that don't use the basic Latin Alphabet.

The intended audience is not as small as it might seem.

I was in India for a bit earlier in the year and I saw a surprisingly large number of people using the Galaxy Note on the metro. Messaging in non-English languages / watching movies / reading books seemed to be the largest use cases that I noticed.

SUPREME1

Banned

HTC's flagship android device is...

Samsung's flagship android device is...

Motorola's flagship android sevice is...

LG's flagship android device is...

Though I do agree that there can't be two flaship devices from one company... I think the Note being a hybrid device (tablet/phone) and the S3 being a phone, allows it to happen. One being their flagship hybrid device while the other is their flagship phone. This is all based on the assumption that the market for hybrid devices will expand to other manufacturers and it'll be in it's own class.

That said, who gives a shit.

Emily Chu

Banned
it's not in the same class as the Galaxy S

it's Galaxy Note

well

Exynos™ 1.6 GHz quad-core processor optimized for LTE networks

and dat 5.5" screen

end of story

it's flagship @ least in the US because it has all 4 cores @ 1.6 and LTE.

hopefully Verizon doesn't neuter it again like they did with the S3 Dual instead of Quad with LTE.

ALSO LOL

r1mgvl.png

kehs

Banned

Note and GS3 aren't in the class device though.

Sure you can. kind of like how Toyota has a fully loaded Camery, but they also have a fully loaded Avalon.

Cipherr

Are you serious with this? I thought you were just kidding around.

That said, who gives a shit.

Lol, this....

voodooray

Still no solid UK price announced or locked down release date, theyre being pretty weird about this. Got a few rogue pre-order dodgy sites the entire internet has seen fit to source as the £545 price though!

Amazing phone, ideally would grab, but can't afford and will probably look for a price-dropped Note 1. Also wouldnt be entirely comfortable with the thought of raising a large and very visually identifiable "most expensive, newest smartphone on market" to my ear along the streets of England.

Its really strange, Im pretty sure they sold most of the Note 1's overseas. It seems like they would be eager to leak details about its release there.

I saw this link on Amazon the other day, but its a devil to find using their search. The price seems... off though :/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0098HNSJ6/
41-OO4Ki4HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edit: I see the thumbnails are up now!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I saw this link on Amazon the other day, but its a devil to find using their search. The price seems... off though :/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0098HNSJ6/
41-OO4Ki4HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edit: I see the thumbnails are up now!

Yeah, fairly sure thats bullshit placeholder territory (unless Samsung have lost their goddam minds) because otherwise I could see an actual Note I price increase to reap the "i... really cant afford... £700" customers, aka, everyone that doesnt shit gold.

I'm getting pretty impatient though. Entered a fucking ton of online competitions to win the Note II just in case XD

Cipherr

Why are colors suddenly the current big phone thing? I want this in pure black

Im a plain white/black phone fan also. But I think the colors coming back to phones is pretty neat. No reason not to have them IMO. But those are covers in the OP, the Note itself I have only seen in 2 colors so far.

So when can we expect carriers to start putting this out? There was about 3 weeks between announcement and release of the GS3, any word on whether this will be similar?

2real4tv

I' am interested in this feature.
It is also a SAFE-designated device, which means it has additional security features to safe-guard sensitive data and communications.
Currently my job doesn't allow Android phones on the network, only Iphone and BB. Is this a step to improve security of android phones?

Top Bottom