• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

kehs

Banned
US Carriers.
LLShC.gif

Emily Chu

Banned
US Carriers.
LLShC.gif

GRRRRR

wtf ? I don't think the Galaxy Tab has 4G or Data though ? (wait HSPA +)

christ first hardware maker and mobile network to offer a 7" bezel less device with 4G data and phone / message capabilities in the US wins

I'd be pissed if it was a WP8 device...

satori

So glad I waited on my upgrade. I have been using my S1 galaxy this whole time, but it's been on its last legs for a few months now. Was about to grab a s3 then I saw the note 1,and I instantly fell in love. Which means note 2 here I come!

I also called Att to cancel my service with them, they asked why from which I replied I wanted the note 2 and unlimited data from the other providers. Rep said she could do nothing about the unlimited data but offer me the note 2 for 50 bucks. I ensure she did not mean note 1. Gave her my card and hoping she was not pulling my leg lol. Fingers crossed.

Are people really saying November for US? Didn't the GS3 take something like 3 weeks after international release? I got an upgrade October 1st with T-Mobile and right now their phone roster is shit.

Wait, what? The Sprint press release says it'll be a world phone. Doesn't that mean user accessible sim slot?

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2391

I know Sprint has some international GSM partners, but all of their other world phones have accessible sim slots

Sprint also has the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE listed as a 'world phone' and it has no sim slot. people were pretty upset. all of the Sprint 4G LTE phones so far have an embedded SIM, none of them have a SIM slot.

from Photon Q product page:
Frequency: LTE, CDMA 800/1900 EVDO Rev A, World Phone - GSM 850/1900/1800/900, UMTS 850/1900/2100 (SIM is embedded in the phone, GSM SIM is locked and not removable)

Yes, apps designed for tablets too with multipanes and whatnot.

tablet phone app with multi-panel for address book and call log would be awesome

Mook1e

Sprint also has the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE listed as a 'world phone' and it has no sim slot. people were pretty upset. all of the Sprint 4G LTE phones so far have an embedded SIM, none of them have a SIM slot.

from Photon Q product page:
Frequency: LTE, CDMA 800/1900 EVDO Rev A, World Phone - GSM 850/1900/1800/900, UMTS 850/1900/2100 (SIM is embedded in the phone, GSM SIM is locked and not removable)

tablet phone app with multi-panel for address book and call log would be awesome
Well then... goodbye Sprint! I'll be going with a GSM network (probably T-mobile month to month) when the Note II drops.

nib95

Banned

So pretty much nigh on perfect then lol. Improved the previous wrongs of Amoled Pentile, better camera and video, snappier and speedier, much better battery life, more responsive along with better speaker and call quality.

If it wasn't for the sheer size of the thing, I'd have swapped my S3 for one. Very tempting, but it is a bit overkill. Don't think I could use the Note II one handed lol. But another solid effort from Samsung. I think they really get it tbh, outside of fancy materials and class leading physical designs, they do things that are efficient and have the improvements people will actually make use of.

sweeeet!

nice!

Another stellar application of the S Pen is that pulling it out during a phone call evokes the S Note app. Not only you can quickly jot down addresses and other trivia from the caller, but make gestures on the screen, too, to do things such as initiating calls and bringing up emails, which can come pretty handy when you don’t have paper and pen lying around.

oh snap! cut the check! CUT THE CHECK!!!

We charged all three phones to 100%, put them in airplane mode, pumped up the brightness to the max, and ran the same HD video for an hour. At the end the Note showed 83%, the Galaxy S III showed 87%, while the Note II’s monster battery discharged only 8%, bringing it down to 92%. If we can extrapolate from that, the Note II might very well reach the RAZR MAXX’s 14-hour video playback at half brightness with this battery.

ummm.. is this a joke???

worst battery test EVER! rushed review confirmed.

kmfdmpig

So pretty much nigh on perfect then lol. Improved the previous wrongs of Amoled Pentile, better camera and video, snappier and speedier, much better battery life, more responsive along with better speaker and call quality.

If it wasn't for the sheer size of the thing, I'd have swapped my S3 for one. Very tempting, but it is a bit overkill. Don't think I could use the Note II one handed lol. But another solid effort from Samsung. I think they really get it tbh, outside of fancy materials and class leading physical designs, they do things that are efficient and have the improvements people will actually make use of.

It's a fun time to be in the market for a new phone. I'll have a chance to choose between this, Nokia 920 and the rumored HTC Nexus.
If the HTC Nexus has a better screen, is 5 inches and has an SD card then that'll probably be my preference, but it sounds like it won't have an SD card, so I'm pretty sure that the Note 2 will be my choice. Reading the positive reviews makes me even more excited.

SUPREME1

Banned
It's a fun time to be in the market for a new phone. I'll have a chance to choose between this, Nokia 920 and the rumored HTC Nexus.
If the HTC Nexus has a better screen, is 5 inches and has an SD card then that'll probably be my preference, but it sounds like it won't have an SD card, so I'm pretty sure that the Note 2 will be my choice. Reading the positive reviews makes me even more excited.

Where are you reading about this?

HTC Nexus?

Cipherr

Woooooooow at that review. And Lol at the unscientific battery test, but it does enough to let you know the battery will be better than the first note. And the first note had great battery life to begin with.

Man if I didnt mind the size I would be all over that. They REALLY improved the stylus and writing sensitivity. You can tell from the video.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Woooooooow at that review. And Lol at the unscientific battery test, but it does enough to let you know the battery will be better than the first note. And the first note had great battery life to begin with.

Man if I didnt mind the size I would be all over that. They REALLY improved the stylus and writing sensitivity. You can tell from the video.

Jump in mofo

Zaptruder

Banned
Nice nice... sounds like possibly the greatest smart phone of all time. As long as you're cool with a big screen.

Might be tempted to upgrade from my original note. Will have to see how the Surface Pro operates in my 'ecosystem'.

char0n

God, I cant wait for this to come out so I can get rid of my Droid Charge. God, what a piece of shit.

Right there with you. It was the best 4G phone when Verizon was getting rid of unlimited, but yeah, I was ready to move on like 2 months after I got it. I'm glad about all the good stuff I'm hearing about the note 2, I was almost ready to jump on paying full retail for a GS3 but this sounds good enough to make me hold off for a proper phablet.

u5B8Yl.jpg

Q479Il.jpg

It's great that I don't need a bag or something to carry this in though

sitting down feels fine too

beats lugging around an ipad or a 10" tablet or a netbook or a even a MBA 11"
so I think a 5.5" note would do fine still

lol that shit looks ridiculous.

anyway, saw one for the first time at an AT&T store yesterday. I thought it *was* a tablet. Ugh.

Samsung has announced the South Korean launch of its new 5.5-inch smartphone, the Galaxy Note 2. By now we're all familiar with the Note 2's impressive spec sheet -- a 1.6GHz quad-core Exynos CPU, 2GB of RAM, 5.5-inch 720p non-PenTile HD SuperAMOLED display, 4G LTE connectivity. Today the device launches across all three main South Korean carriers -- SKT, LG U+ and KT, where it'll be available in "marble white" and "titanium grey" colors. The next stop for the Galaxy Note 2 is London, where it makes its UK debut on Oct. 1.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2-launches-south-korea-skt-lg-u-and-kt

it.

has.

begun!

Spinluck

This is an easy buy for me.

I was almost gonna bite on the Samsung GS3, but waited for the iPhone 5 unveil, wasn't really sold. Plus my GF got it, so I can just tinker with it whenever, but seeing all the niche features really sold me. Screen recorded, having the same set of stuff as the GS3, the nice S-pen features(for an artsy guy like me), and I don't have a tablet so I guess I'll just buy into this "phablet" thing. Lol. Can't wait. The size is no prob, for me at least, I often find phones too small or uncomfortable. I will say I wish there was just a pure black version -_____-.

voodooray

So the price finally updated on Amazon UK (£530). However the release date now says Nov 1st. Arse.

Edit: Hmm, also this could be a 3G only model according to one of the comments. Was hoping I could use it when Everything Everywhere announced their pricing. Double arse.

Wait, you can do that? I mean, can you buy apps off the Google Play store without owning an android device?

I installed something called Bluestacks. Emulates a phone on your computer and apps seem to run at full speed. When I signed in using my gmail account, app store shows me one registered device. Bought through chrome and app got sent to Bluestacks.

(I don't even recall when I gave Google my credit card info. I kind of freaked when it was pre-populated then remembered that I had used Google Offers. At this time, I think Google knows more about me than my parents do).

As for the Galaxy Note 2, I am sorely tempted to have my parents buy one and ship it to me next week. Will try to resist till I actually get some time on a demo device somewhere.

Bought

Dungeon Village - 25 cents
Office Suite Pro - 25 cents

Considering Swiftkey ($1 right now).

adelante

I installed something called Bluestacks. Emulates a phone on your computer and apps seem to run at full speed. When I signed in using my gmail account, app store shows me one registered device. Bought through chrome and app got sent to Bluestacks.

Oh I actually have Bluestacks! My iPhone got damaged (blessing in disguise, opened up my eyes to Android), using a dumbphone now, and Bluestacks on my mac to keep track of any Whatsapp msgs my friends send me. Thing is I haven't been able to access the app store since I installed it, and I've been wanting to take advantage of the sale that's happening now. I'll have to check out what's wrong... thanks anyway!

surly

Banned
I wish my upgrade hadn't occurred 4 months ago, cos I'd love one of these. I'm not taking a £150 hit to swap my S3 for one though!

voodooray

For those in the UK, so it looks like the Samsung store in Westfield, Stratford will be selling this a day early this Sunday. It might even go for a special price.

But it seems this will be the 3G only version, as the 4G LTE edition is expected to come later (according to comments on various blogs via Clove/Samsung on Twitter). Would this make you think twice?

Emily Chu

Banned
For those in the UK, so it looks like the Samsung store in Westfield, Stratford will be selling this a day early this Sunday. It might even go for a special price.

But it seems this will be the 3G only version, as the 4G LTE edition is expected to come later (according to comments on various blogs via Clove/Samsung on Twitter). Would this make you think twice?

wtf ? I thought it wasn't out till november something ?

or is that just the shitty US ?

CiSTM

Banned
I'm so getting this phone! Then again this is probably going to cost 599€ here so I might not buy it day one. Maybe I'll wait for the first prize cut or the announcement of Note III.

edit. Is there official Office app for Android?

Top Bottom