• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

operon

Got a Samsung s3 from my father in law, and loving it but noticed when listening to music on headphones the vocals seem muted compared to the music. It's on stock 4.1.2 wondering anyone have any ideas

inm8num2

Weird, I was okay with the 4.3 update for about a week or so (Verizon), but now my battery is draining twice as quickly on idle usage with practically no apps open. No other changes in my usage or activity. Nothing new installed.

I've read all over the web about issues with the 4.3 update. I deferred it for awhile then in a lapse of judgment decided to allow it. Feels terrible. I guess I have to back everything up and do a factory reset, though that would take be back to something like 4.0.

jambo

Still waiting for 4.3 in Australia for my 4G SIII.

Optus are testing and the ETA is February. Only problem with that is that last month the ETA was January...

Looking forward to the 4.1.2 -> 4.3 jump!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Weird, I was okay with the 4.3 update for about a week or so (Verizon), but now my battery is draining twice as quickly on idle usage with practically no apps open. No other changes in my usage or activity. Nothing new installed.

I've read all over the web about issues with the 4.3 update. I deferred it for awhile then in a lapse of judgment decided to allow it. Feels terrible. I guess I have to back everything up and do a factory reset, though that would take be back to something like 4.0.
I also noticed those issues, but it seemed to have fixed itself these last 2 weeks. I don't use the stock battery, I use a 4400 mAh external one and before, at 50% battery, I would have 4 to 5 hours of on screen time. When I had updated to 4.3, at 50% it would be only 2 or 3 hours. Thankfully it's back to normal now. So maybe give it time?

Mush

What's the consensus regarding batteries? Should I just get a factory replacement or is there a good third party one that doesn't require a case?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
What's the consensus regarding batteries? Should I just get a factory replacement or is there a good third party one that doesn't require a case?
The official 3000 mAh one is pretty awesome. It's pricey, but you'll notice a difference in battery life over the stock one for sure. It comes with its own official back cover case as well. It also doesn't add too much bulk to your S3 and keeps the slim look.

clav

Are people upgrading this phone to a newer one?

Thinking if I should hang on to this phone longer after the contract ends and jumping back to prepaid.

Mush

The official 3000 mAh one is pretty awesome. It's pricey, but you'll notice a difference in battery life over the stock one for sure. It comes with its own official back cover case as well. It also doesn't add too much bulk to your S3 and keeps the slim look.
I already have an Otterbox so this is a problem for me.

RuGalz

Are people upgrading this phone to a newer one?

Thinking if I should hang on to this phone longer after the contract ends and jumping back to prepaid.

It's still a very functional phone so I am probably going to hold on to it at least another year. Most likely won't be a galaxy when I upgrade though.

Salsa

as posted elsewhere, this happened a few days ago:

IMG-20140309-WA0002.jpg

I had the glass replaced today... and it came out awful

the actual LCD is scratched to hell and back, and there's a big blue spot in the middle of the phone

I really dont know wether to blame the guy who replaced it or not. it's his word against mine, he says that the blow was so hard that it actually made those scratches on the actual screen.. idk man

whole lcd replacement is about $250 :S the S3 is still $500 here so it might be worth it I guess.. but these $100 that I spent on the glass repair would be utterly wasted

sigh. im really bummed out right now. cant afford a phone in a long long time

replacement glass is as low as $5 on ebay, replacement glass+display are like $130-150 but easier to do, or at least, less technical to do, though just as time consuming. replacing just the glass is tough, it involves heating the panel up and carefully breaking the bond between the glass and the display. replacing the entire panel involves taking the phone apart, which doesn't take as much skill but takes about as much time. the impact very well could have damaged the display underneath. a crack like the one pictured is pretty bad when it comes to tiny glass fragments and the repairer very well could have given it his best efforts. or he could have just been careless...

Salsa

or he could have just been careless...

yeah, that's what im saying, no real way of knowing

i'll let it sink in for a few days to see what im gonna do. I guess I could find someone shipping the whole LCD on ebay for $100ish, since spending $250 on lcd + placement is a bit much (not in the US and that's the price I found)

as posted elsewhere, this happened a few days ago:

IMG-20140309-WA0002.jpg

I had the glass replaced today... and it came out awful

the actual LCD is scratched to hell and back, and there's a big blue spot in the middle of the phone

I really dont know wether to blame the guy who replaced it or not. it's his word against mine, he says that the blow was so hard that it actually made those scratches on the actual screen.. idk man

whole lcd replacement is about $250 :S the S3 is still $500 here so it might be worth it I guess.. but these $100 that I spent on the glass repair would be utterly wasted

sigh. im really bummed out right now. cant afford a phone in a long long time

Jesus did you hit it with a hammer?

No wonder the OLED (hint hint) screen was damaged.

I would recommend looking at nexus devices, moto g's etc. The S3 is old and you should be able to grab a lower budget phone which is much faster!

Salsa

phones are very expensive here. im gonna stick with the fix for now and once I get enough money to replace the whole screen i'd decide wether I do it or not

as to what happened to it: I actually dont know, was too drunk

Mush

I really don't know what happened, but my last night my phone locked up and when I turned it back on this morning it told me I had to perform a factory reset.

On the plus side, when I finally did get it back up-and-running I got a notification telling me 4.3 was available. So now I'm working my way around that.

Can I put app shortcuts on the lock screen or have they taken this away?

Mush

So the lock screen options are blurred out. And I can't go back to the prior version of Google Play Music I like that doesn't have the hideous orange.

Kill me now.

minx

So my S3 started to loose its battery really fast a couple weeks ago and it would randomly shut itself off very often. A lot of times it would turn off as soon as I touched it. It would then take a couple times to turn on. Well now the phone tries to boot up but usually only gets to the samsung screen and turns off. Tried a new battery and that doesn't solve the problem. Can't hard reset either. Help!

Mariolee

S3 is being dumb with the battery again. All chargers will only work for a few minutes at a time and then the charge symbol will flicker on and off signaling that the phone is being charged and then not being charged within seconds. I tried doing a factory reset and it seemed to charge fine. Then I loaded up all my information from Kies (nothing malicious that I'm aware of, all verified first party and third party applications and updates), charged it again, worked for like an hour or so, then it starts going crazy again.

I'm going to try and do another factory reset and see if it lasts awhile. If it goes haywire without my data loaded onto there, I'll know it's a hardware issue but if it only happens when I have my data loaded onto there then it's probably a software issue.

What do GAF?

linkboy

S3 is being dumb with the battery again. All chargers will only work for a few minutes at a time and then the charge symbol will flicker on and off signaling that the phone is being charged and then not being charged within seconds. I tried doing a factory reset and it seemed to charge fine. Then I loaded up all my information from Kies (nothing malicious that I'm aware of, all verified first party and third party applications and updates), charged it again, worked for like an hour or so, then it starts going crazy again.

I'm going to try and do another factory reset and see if it lasts awhile. If it goes haywire without my data loaded onto there, I'll know it's a hardware issue but if it only happens when I have my data loaded onto there then it's probably a software issue.

What do GAF?

It could be the battery failing.

An-Det

Is there a decent cheap sim card that I could buy so that I can unlock my SCH-I535 (verizon GS3)? I'm in a bit over my head trying to figure it out, pretty sure I just call up Verizon for an unlock code, then input that after rebooting when the new sim card inside prompts for it and I'm good to go?

Is there a decent cheap sim card that I could buy so that I can unlock my SCH-I535 (verizon GS3)? I'm in a bit over my head trying to figure it out, pretty sure I just call up Verizon for an unlock code, then input that after rebooting when the new sim card inside prompts for it and I'm good to go?

if its stock fw and up-to-date, it should already be unlocked. you may have to edit APN settings for data, but just try an AT&T/T-Mobile SIM and see if you can make a call..

FireCloud

Is it still worth keeping this phone?

Mine's still working fine for me. On the Verizon unlimited data plan and not looking forward to paying full price for a newer phone so I can keep my current contract.

Did recently get a new Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5) so I've cut down on spending a lot of time on my phone when at home. So I'm hoping the GS3 will last me until the Galaxy S7 or Note 6 (or suitable alternatives) are released. By then the difference in technology upgrade may make paying full price a little less painful.

clav

Mine's still working fine for me. On the Verizon unlimited data plan and not looking forward to paying full price for a newer phone so I can keep my current contract.

Did recently get a new Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5) so I've cut down on spending a lot of time on my phone when at home. So I'm hoping the GS3 will last me until the Galaxy S7 or Note 6 (or suitable alternatives) are released. By then the difference in technology upgrade may make paying full price a little less painful.

I may switch over to Ting.

I don't know what to do.

Buy the Nexus 6 or keep this one.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
What do you guys think a fair price would be for this phone on craigslist?

I still have mine and it's in near perfect condition (always in a case) I have original box, cables, and a desktop charger. I'm not well versed in selling stuff on craigslist so any pricing recommendations would be appreciated.

inm8num2

I've had an issue with my phone since maybe August, or after the Verizon OTA update to Android 4.4.2. For some reason turning on mobile data drains my battery at an insane rate compared to before that update. I've used GSAM battery monitor to see if a particular app is using 4G while I leave the phone in standby, but according to that and the stock battery monitor Android System, Device idle, Cell standby use most of the battery. A few other apps consume a trivial amount. Location services have always been off.

Based on web searches it appears that update to KitKat has caused many problems for Verizon GS3 owners, including some related to the battery like Mariolee posted. My battery itself is okay because if I keep 4G/mobile off I get the same amount of standby in between charges that I did before that update. Anyway, has anybody else experienced this 4G drain? I'm not sure what can be done, other than hoping that Samsung/Verizon update the GS3 to 5.0/Lollipop and correct the problem.

Socreges

Banned
Question...

About a year ago I was experiencing poor battery life in my GS3. Did a factory reset which solved it.

Recently I had a boat accident and my phone spent ten minutes in the lake. I've salvaged it, miraculously, but ever since the battery has drained very quickly. Even my alternate battery, which did not experience water damage, drains quickly.

Could this mean it's an issue that's similarly fixable by wiping the machine? Or could it be irreversible hardware damage that's causing the battery to be drained quickly? I assume it's the latter since I don't otherwise understand how the event would be related to the problem.

Daigoro

this phone is on sale from VM for $150. thinking about upgrading from an Optimus Elite I've had for 2 years.

good deal? any downsides to this phone besides the battery life issues I've read about?

this phone is on sale from VM for $150. thinking about upgrading from an Optimus Elite I've had for 2 years.

good deal? any downsides to this phone besides the battery life issues I've read about?

No more updates, doubt you are expecting much in that area tho. What is annoying is it has a hardware menu button and no multi-task button. This has not been part of androids navigation menu for years.

Top Bottom