• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

DrBo42

Think I'm going to go caseless as I usually do. I don't drop phones and I have insurance anyway. Seems like a crime to cover it up.

Argh. Not the best experience.
On the 21st I just happened to wander into a Verizon store to get a longer car charger and found that the S8 had just come out.

Decided to upgrade from S6. So far the phone itself has been great, but everything around it has been ehhhhhh.

Guy at store said I could get a Gear VR Bundle (from Sansung and be able to trade in my old S6 for about $340 towards my new one.

1. Screen protector they picked out was crap and is already off phone. Screen presses would not work. They didn't even give me the box so I can't tell which one it is. Guess I'll just go without one, like others have been saying in thread.
2. Gear VR expired on the 20th, since it was just meant for preorders. They said to apply for it anyway but it was rejected since it was not preordered.
3. The trade in is actually only $125. Based on what I've found out, that promo only applied to new verizon customers.

WELP. At least the phone is good.

NeOak

I have a cheap case friendly glass protector and switched to the Otterbox Defender from the S-Folio for the day.

Phone fell onto a bunch of rocks today. Defender saved it.

It's dangerous for phones at work :(

Pepiope

Argh. Not the best experience.
On the 21st I just happened to wander into a Verizon store to get a longer car charger and found that the S8 had just come out.

Decided to upgrade from S6. So far the phone itself has been great, but everything around it has been ehhhhhh.

Guy at store said I could get a Gear VR Bundle (from Sansung and be able to trade in my old S6 for about $340 towards my new one.

1. Screen protector they picked out was crap and is already off phone. Screen presses would not work. They didn't even give me the box so I can't tell which one it is. Guess I'll just go without one, like others have been saying in thread.
2. Gear VR expired on the 20th, since it was just meant for preorders. They said to apply for it anyway but it was rejected since it was not preordered.
3. The trade in is actually only $125. Based on what I've found out, that promo only applied to new verizon customers.

WELP. At least the phone is good.
That sucks that they lied to you about the VR promo, I would complain about that.

That sucks that they lied to you about the VR promo, I would complain about that.

Honestly I think he just wasn't aware...at least I can replace it with one of the other bundle options (android tablet or that car device)

EDIT: I'm more pissed off about #3, because he clearly knew I wasn't a new verizon customer, but again, he didn't seem to be aware of the details of the promotions.

Never going to that place again.

VanWinkle

So I moved to Nova Launcher and I like it a lot overall and it is sooo buttery smooth compared to Touchwiz. But, I gotta be honest, I think Touchwiz on the S8 is absolutely beautiful. So I actually kind of miss it, but at the same time I don't want to move back to it where it's not so smooth.

Conflicted.

So I moved to Nova Launcher and I like it a lot overall and it is sooo buttery smooth compared to Touchwiz. But, I gotta be honest, I think Touchwiz on the S8 is absolutely beautiful. So I actually kind of miss it, but at the same time I don't want to move back to it where it's not so smooth.

Conflicted.

it doesn't matter how beautiful you think it is if in a couple of months it runs like ass. Stick with the smoother experience. I mean who are you trying to impress with touchwiz? You're only using the launcher to get to your apps/phone.

If you aren't liking Nova, there are other options. I have Action Launcher 3 and I'll take being able to swipe from the left edge for an app drawer with easy letter search over anything touchwiz has to offer. I've stuck with Samsung's OS for the S4 and S6 edge, and it always just ends up running like ass at one point. Never again.

XAL

Anyone else having really fucking sluggish performance with their S8+ when opening the phone? I get lag when the unlock drawing thing pops up.

Also mine has half of my app icons turning into the android logo and then disappearing from my drawings, forcing me to manually re-add them.

Apps appear to be random as some are on the phone and others are on the sd card.

If this keeps happening I'm just going to get a fucking refund.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Anyone else having really fucking sluggish performance with their S8+?

Also mine has half of my app icons turning into the android logo and then disappearing from my drawings, forcing me to manually re-add them.

Apps appear to be random as some are on the phone and others are on the sd card.

This is probably because some of your apps are on the sd card. Sd cards are slower. You should store media on it, not apps.

Esqueleto

Banned
Anyone else having really fucking sluggish performance with their S8+ when opening the phone? I get lag when the unlock drawing thing pops up.

Sounds like a bad SD card. It should only do that while scanning for apps on a reboot.

XAL

This is probably because some of your apps are on the sd card. Sd cards are slower. You should store media on it, not apps.

Sounds like a bad SD card. It should only do that while scanning for apps on a reboot.

So because the sd card is bad it removes apps from my screen that aren't on my sd card?

I know the SD card isn't bad because I tested it on other google phones, but funny how non-samsung SD cards don't work on samsung phones.

Guess I'll have to return this and buy a Samsung SD card.

Is there a way to move apps I've put on my SD card back onto my phone memory en masse? Or do I have to do each one individually, if so, balls because I just moved everything off last night.

So because the sd card is bad it removes apps from my screen that aren't on my sd card?

I know the SD card isn't bad because I tested it on other google phones, but funny how non-samsung SD cards don't work on samsung phones.

I have a non Samsung SD card and I haven't had issues. But I also only have my music and media in it. You shouldn't install apps on your SD card specifically for issues like these.

I know with my s4 I either had a bad SD card or my phone had a shitty SD card reader because my music would randomly start playing, then all of my library would disappear from the list and then it'd slowly add every song again.

So it happens man. Best thing you can try is to stick with just media in it. See if any major issues happen. If so buy a second sd card and test it out. If if happens again, the chances of it happening twice are slim so it likely is the phone

XAL

I have a non Samsung SD card and I haven't had issues. But I also only have my music and media in it. You shouldn't install apps on your SD card specifically for issues like these.

I know with my s4 I either had a bad SD card or my phone had a shitty SD card reader because my music would randomly start playing, then all of my library would disappear from the list and then it'd slowly add every song again.

So it happens man. Best thing you can try is to stick with just media in it. See if any major issues happen. If so buy a second sd card and test it out. If if happens again, the chances of it happening twice are slim so it likely is the phone

Interesting. I used to have most of my apps stored on my SD card on my Note 4 and never had any issues - but that was a Samsung SD. When I tried to use a SanDisk card or try someone else's card on my Galaxy S4 or Note 4, the card would never stay mounted - even though it was fine on a Nexus/etc. This time around I bought a SanDisk card thinking it would be different, I guess I was mistaken.

I'll pick up a Samsung SD card. I'm sure the one I have now is messing with my performance.

Esqueleto

Banned

Is there a way to move apps I've put on my SD card back onto my phone memory en masse? Or do I have to do each one individually, if so, balls because I just moved everything off last night.
I'd try reseating it first. I haven't had any issues with my SanDisk and I've had this one for a while now. The card should have snapped into place.

Like I said for what it's worth I have a sandisk 128 gb and I haven't had issues yet. So either failure rate is much higher than any review makes apparent or you got real unlucky.

Edit: good point when you put it in did you hear a "snap" as it clicked into place?

XAL

Like I said for what it's worth I have a sandisk 128 gb and I haven't had issues yet. So either failure rate is much higher than any review makes apparent or you got real unlucky.

Edit: good point when you put it in did you hear a "snap" as it clicked into place?

yup. I have the same card.

VanWinkle

it doesn't matter how beautiful you think it is if in a couple of months it runs like ass. Stick with the smoother experience. I mean who are you trying to impress with touchwiz? You're only using the launcher to get to your apps/phone.

If you aren't liking Nova, there are other options. I have Action Launcher 3 and I'll take being able to swipe from the left edge for an app drawer with easy letter search over anything touchwiz has to offer. I've stuck with Samsung's OS for the S4 and S6 edge, and it always just ends up running like ass at one point. Never again.

That's true. I will likely stick with Nova.

I just miss the look of the app drawer, the look of the Google bar on the home screen, and the weather widget. All small stuff, to be sure, but I did really think it looked nicer. You see the launcher from purely a functional viewpoint, which is fine, but for me design and aesthetics are very important as well. Let me stress, though, that I DO think Nova looks really nice.

That's true. I will likely stick with Nova.

I just miss the look of the app drawer, the look of the Google bar on the home screen, and the weather widget. All small stuff, to be sure, but I did really think it looked nicer. You see the launcher from purely a functional viewpoint, which is fine, but for me design and aesthetics are very important as well. Let me stress, though, that I DO think Nova looks really nice.
You can customize Nova

VanWinkle

You can customize Nova

I know, I've been working on it off and on for the last few hours. I've got a somewhat decent approximation. Just doesn't look as refined. I personally really like that Samsung made all icons have the same shape (including apps from the Play Store). I wonder if there's a way to do that on Nova.

Regardless, not a huge deal. Still loving the phone.

Jeffrey

I know, I've been working on it off and on for the last few hours. I've got a somewhat decent approximation. Just doesn't look as refined. I personally really like that Samsung made all icons have the same shape (including apps from the Play Store). I wonder if there's a way to do that on Nova.

Regardless, not a huge deal. Still loving the phone.

I bet there are ton of grace ux clone Icon and widget packs on the play store.

Esqueleto

Banned
Anyone get edge lighting to work with everything? It only works with phone calls when face down or when the phone is unlocked.
I enabled all the apps just to be sure but it doesn't work.

Edit: only the stock messaging app and phone calls work when the screen is off.

cilonen

What screen protectors is everyone using here for the S8 +?

I've got the Yootech liquid skin one - it's great, the application was super easy as per their video and it doesn't conflict with the Samsung Clear Cover so it's not going to peel.

Only downside is having to leave your phone off overnight while it dries out after putting it on.

Just received a call from an unknown number. The interesting thing is that the caller ID said " Potential Spam". I'm on the Verizon 10 day Caller ID trial but I was trying to see if this was a Samsung/Android thing instead of Verizon.

BraXzy

Always on display seems to use more battery than I originally thought. If you go into the optimiser and customise, keeping everything the same but flicking it on / off takes off about 2.5-3 hours of battery life.

Pepiope

Always on display seems to use more battery than I originally thought. If you go into the optimiser and customise, keeping everything the same but flicking it on / off takes off about 2.5-3 hours of battery life.
Does the finger print scanner still work if you turn the display off?

Just received a call from an unknown number. The interesting thing is that the caller ID said " Potential Spam". I'm on the Verizon 10 day Caller ID trial but I was trying to see if this was a Samsung/Android thing instead of Verizon.

I've had the same since getting my Pixel XL. Seems to be a Nougat thing specifically.

kinn

Loving the phone. Glad I went with the plus one.

Where would the best place be for demonstrating hdr on this phone? YouTube ? Would there be a notice or something to say its now displaying hdr? ie like the frame rate /resolution setting.

And forgive my ignorance but what is DQA thing you guys are talking about?

Loving the phone. Glad I went with the plus one.

Where would the best place be for demonstrating hdr on this phone? YouTube ? Would there be a notice or something to say its now displaying hdr? ie like the frame rate /resolution setting.

And forgive my ignorance but what is DQA thing you guys are talking about?

There's been an issue with numerous Galaxy S8 devices where a message will pop up every so often saying that DQA has stopped. An update started going out today to fix the issue though. I just received it on my phone a few minutes ago.

Having the worst time trying to receive the GearVR promotion. Ordering through TMobile, the receipt and agreement that you e-sign does not have the IMEI, and hence comes problems with the review.

Having the worst time trying to receive the GearVR promotion. Ordering through TMobile, the receipt and agreement that you e-sign does not have the IMEI, and hence comes problems with the review.

Yeah, its weird for me too. I have it saying Registration is Approved, then below Status is Review in Progress. Yet i received an email saying i will receive the VR and Controller within 6-8 weeks?

I also asked the store if i could get a receipt of the transaction and they told me i had to get it online. lol

No Love

Banned

AOD is such a waste. I turned it off after the first day. There's no way it uses less battery than just turning on your phone for a second to check the time/notifications.

DrBo42

Default settings and AOD with a full charge at 6:50 or so last night Pacific with moderate use has me at 6% now. Biggest battery drain was the initial setup. My Note 5 would have been dead hours ago with the same battery size. Very impressed so far.

BraXzy

AOD is such a waste. I turned it off after the first day. There's no way it uses less battery than just turning on your phone for a second to check the time/notifications.

I like the look and convenience of being able to glance at my phone and know if I've got any notifications/what time it is.

It's more than lasting through an entire day so I'm good with it for now.

VanWinkle

I just can't get over how good the screen is. And I'm SUPER on board with curved edges now. With some of the screen going off the edge, it makes it feel like everything in the main body of the screen is just POPPING out at you.

Is there a way to automatically change your phone's settings based on your location? I believe my S6 had a widget I used for that, but I don't see anything similar on the 8 yet.

Asking one more time. I'd like my phone to automatically set to vibrate at work and ringer at home and elsewhere. Any good solutions for this?

reKon

Banned
Improved from the S7 even though the screen screen size grew by .7 inches. This is the Exynos variant though.

gsmarena_002.jpg

Jeffrey

After about a week of usage. I can find the fingerprint sensor fine, but still usually takes 2-3 attempts to register right. Haven't had a sensor this finicky ever lol.

Iris doesnt work well with my glasses so I usually just use my pin lol.

Top Bottom