• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2017 |OT| Slovenia: "On My Way - to the lowest score"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time of the year again which GAF loves and hates. In the 2 weeks leading up to the event, let's get to know the contestants, talk about past Eurovision's best and most absurd acts, post gifs, etc.

Wikipedia said:
The Eurovision Song Contest 2017 will be the 62nd edition of the Eurovision Song Contest. It will take place in the International Exhibition Centre in Kiev, Ukraine, following Ukraine's victory at the 2016 contest in Stockholm with the song "1944", written and performed by Jamala. This will be the second time the contest takes place in Kiev, after 2005. The contest is expected to consist of two semi-finals on 9 and 11 May and the final on 13 May 2017.

Forty-two countries will participate in the 2017 contest. Portugal and Romania are to return to the contest, both having been absent from the 2016 edition.

This year's line-up:

Semi-Final 1:

01. Sweden: Robin Bengtsson - I Can't Go On
02. Georgia: Tamara Gachechiladze - Keep the Faith
03. Australia: Isaiah - Don't Come Easy
04. Albania: Lindita - World
05. Belgium: Blanche - City Lights
06. Montenegro: Slavko Kalezić - Space
07. Finland: Norma John - Blackbird
08. Azerbaijan: Dihaj - Skeletons
09. Portugal: Salvador Sobral - Amar Pelos Dois
10. Greece: Demy - This is Love
11. Poland: Kasia Moś - Flashlight
12. Moldova: Sunstroke Project - Hey Mamma
13. Iceland: Svala - Paper
14. Czech Republic: Martina Bárta - My Turn
15. Cyprus: Hovig - Gravity
16. Armenia: Artsvik - Fly With Me
17. Slovenia: Omar Naber - On My Way
18. Latvia: Triana Park - Line

Live performances of the three auto-qualifiers voting in this semi:
Italy, United Kingdom, Spain

Results

Semi-Final 2:

01. Serbia: Tijana Bogićević - In Too Deep
02. Austria: Nathan Trent - Running On Air
03. F.Y.R.O. Macedonia: Jana Burčeska - Dance Alone
04. Malta: Claudia Faniello - Breathlessly
05. Romania: Ilinca ft. Alex Florea - Yodel It!
06. The Netherlands: OG3NE - Lights and Shadows
07. Hungary: Joci Pápai - Origo
08. Denmark: Anja - Where I Am
09. Ireland: Brendan Murray - Dying to Try
10. San Marino: Valentina Monetta and Jimmie Wilson - Spirit of the Night
11. Croatia: Jacques Houdek - My Friend
12. Norway: JOWST - Grab the Moment
13. Switzerland: Timebelle - Apollo
14. Belarus: Naviband - Story of my Life
15. Bulgaria: Kristian Kostov - Beautiful Mess
16. Lithuania: Fusedmarc - Rain of Revolution
17. Estonia: Koit Toome & Laura - Verona
18. Israel: IMRI - I Feel Alive

Live performances of the three auto-qualifiers voting in this semi:
Germany, France, Ukraine

Results

Grand Finalists:
01. Israel: IMRI - I Feel Alive
02. Poland: Kasia Moś - Flashlight
03. Belarus: Naviband - Story of my Life
04. Austria: Nathan Trent - Running On Air
05. Armenia: Artsvik - Fly With Me
06. The Netherlands: OG3NE - Lights and Shadows
07. Moldova: Sunstroke Project - Hey Mamma
08. Hungary: Joci Pápai - Origo
09. Italy: Franceso Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma
10. Denmark: Anja - Where I Am
11. Portugal: Salvador Sobral - Amar Pelos Dois <- WINNER!
12. Azerbaijan: Dihaj - Skeletons
13. Croatia: Jacques Houdek - My Friend
14. Australia: Isaiah - Don't Come Easy
15. Greece: Demy - This is Love
16. Spain: Manel Navarro - Do It For Your Lover
17. Norway: JOWST - Grab the Moment
18. United Kingdom: Lucie Jones - Never Give Up On You
19. Cyprus: Hovig - Gravity
20. Romania: Ilinca ft. Alex Florea - Yodel It!
21. Germany: Levina - Perfect Life
22. Ukraine: O.Torvald - Time
23. Belgium: Blanche - City Lights
24. Sweden: Robin Bengtsson - I Can't Go On
25. Bulgaria: Kristian Kostov - Beautiful Mess
26. France: Alma - Requiem

Results

FAQ:
So when's this gonna happen?
The event is split into 3 parts - 2 semi finals (taking place on May 9 and 11 respectively), and a final on May 13. They will start at 8 PM UK time, 3 PM EST.

Ermahgerd why is ISRAEL taking part in EUROvision!?!?!?!?!?!?
Israel might not be geographically part of Europe, however, the contest is not for European countries, but for members of the European Broadcast Union (EBU) - to which Israel, and several other countries in Northern Africa and Western Asia count.

But what about AUSTRALIA? THATS NOWHERE NEAR YUROP!!!
In 2015, Australia took part as a guest entry specifically for the 60th anniversary of the Eurovision Song Contest. The country has the biggest viewer base outside of Europe, and since the 2015 contest's motto was "building bridges", the EBU thought it was a fun idea to have them participate. Since their participation in 2015 was such a big success, the EBU and Australian TV decided to continue the country's participation in Eurovision.
In case Australia wins, they will negotiate with a European country for the hosting. Otherwise, every other rule applies to the country. Whether or not Australia or any other countries outside of the EBU will be at any future contests is up in the air, as well.

So why are there already several finalists?
Besides the winner of last year and host (Ukraine), the "Big 5" automatically skip the semis and are qualified to take part in the final from the get-go. The Big 5 are France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK, and are the countries that provide the biggest budget to the EBU. For the semi-finalists, 10 out of each will qualify, resulting in 26 participants in the Grand Finale.

Where can I watch this if I don't have a TV or live in a country that doesn't broadcast it?
If you live in a country that is officially broadcasting the song contest, the respective broadcaster might have a webstream of the contest, be sure to look it up.
Furthermore, Eurovision themselves has provided a webstream on their webpage, but this year they will migrate over to their official YouTube channel and livestream from there. This stream will have no commentary, and if you are in a country eligible for voting, you also are not provided with the information to vote. Based on past streams, it will also likely be a few minutes behind.

No Russia?
The performer that Russia selected this year, Julia Samoylova, had been subject to a travel ban by Ukrainian authorities as she illegally performed in Crimea several years back, which led to Russia withdrawing from the contest this year.
More information here.

God Eurovision is so bad why are you assholes watching this trash?
Sod off.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Previous Eurovision OTs:

Please tell me if any of the links above lead to wrong places.

Thanks to GCX for providing a fantastic OT to
steal
copy.

So let's have some fun and listen to some music!

Pulling this year for better-than-expected results for

BELGIUM
FINLAND
AZERBAIJAN
ICELAND
MACEDONIA
and
HUNGARY

Italy for the safe win, Bulgaria for the feel-good win, Sweden if Europe really wants to see Petra Mede again.

Also the link to the WebTV page is down; it's tough on me because they used to archive the past several years of ESC semis/finals and a bunch of national selections. I hope it landed somewhere else on the site :(

edit: also thank you for the OT <3

Short note here:
As usual, I will edit the semi final sets to showcase which entries qualified, and I will edit the live performances of the semi finals and grand final into the post instead of the official music videos as they become available on the official ESC YouTube.

Also the link to the WebTV page is down; it's tough on me because they used to archive the past several years of ESC semis/finals and a bunch of national selections. I hope it landed somewhere else on the site :(

Sorry, I was busy fixing the flags. In the preview post I made originally, it showed the flags hovering above the text, so I made ALL flag icons be a bit lower, but when I posted it, the flags were falling below the text so I had to do it all over again.
Anyway, I kind of noticed them rearranging the site in the past week or so for some reason, wasn't able to find some lyrics I wanted to look up out of the google search links.

I will see if I can fix that link.

Edit: Fixed it. They're migrating over to YouTube this year, interesting. Let's hope it'll be better quality than the shitty web TV they used to have haha.

edit: also thank you for the OT <3

Sure thing!

Also speaking of flags, since I had to migrate over to hosting them myself - if you guys want to use the flag set I'm using for the OT for stuff, here's the entire album on imgur, including all countries that have participated or wanted to do so in the past and/or expressed interest in participating, in case any of them decide to join in a future contest.

I didn't like Norway's entry this year at first, but it's really really grown on me and has elevated to be one of my top 10 even. Though as I listened more to the songs, out of what seemed kind of a weak year, a very strong one has emerged. I'm really looking forward to the live performances on the big stage.

Also as a sidenote, this is probably the first year in a long time in which I like all 5 Nordic entries and all 3 Caucasus entries at the same time, heh.

I'm confused, is the OP implying that we already know what the semi/finalists are going to perform? Whats the point in watching then? Seems like there shouldn't be much surprise.

I'm confused, is the OP implying that we already know what the semi/finalists are going to perform?

Err... yes? The songs are known months in advance. Why is that confusing?

Whats the point in watching then? Seems like there shouldn't be much surprise.

Cause the live performance at the big stage in the actual contest is different, and there's plenty of songs that actually turn out to be much better live on stage than in the studio cuts or at the small stage national finals?

Damn. I understand why, but what a bummer :l

Then again I can't help but feel cynical that the Russians purposefully chose someone in a wheelchair to 'one up' ukraine in case they banned them.

That's the stance that most Russia critics are taking - that the Russians provoked this by not only picking an artist who was affected by the Crimean travel ban, but specifically Julia since she's wheelchair-bound and thus were trying to fish for sympathy and outrage at Ukraine.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Still in disbelief "Statements" isn't Sweden's entry.

Honestly feels like quite a relatively weak year, I struggled to find 5 songs I *really* liked (but to be honest Occidentali's Karma more than makes up for that)

Roll on the Semi-finals!

chadskin

- Greece finally answers Haddaway's question.
- The Irish singer sounds like a girl, not at all what I expected.
- San Marino is very Eurovision. Sleeper hit?
- Nordic countries are all surprisingly meh.

Personal top 3:
1. Belarus
2. Belgium
3. Macedonia

Deft Beck

- Greece finally answers Haddaway's question.
- The Irish singer sounds like a girl, not at all what I expected.
- San Marino is very Eurovision. Sleeper hit?
- Nordic countries are all surprisingly meh.

Personal top 3:
1. Belarus
2. Belgium
3. Macedonia

Belarus' song is phenomenal and everyone is underrating it.

Italy's new cut of their song is repetitive and might hurt their score.

Belgium's song gives me London Grammar vibes.

addik

I haven't heard Belarus' song, but I freaking love Italy's song. If they bring it the gorilla dance number in the finals, that's a guarantee Top 5 already lol.

I also like France's, but I doubt it's going to do hot. Not sure how I feel about Belgium's.

88random

It's that time of the year again!

gpiNc0z.gif

Deft Beck

I'm not sure if the studio cut is the same as the live performance at the contest.

I meant more that apparently that they cut the last verse for the semifinals.

I haven't heard Belarus' song, but I freaking love Italy's song. If they bring it the gorilla dance number in the finals, that's a guarantee Top 5 already lol.

I also like France's, but I doubt it's going to do hot. Not sure how I feel about Belgium's.

Belarus' song is probably the happiest sounding song in recent Eurovision history.

This is my 2nd Eurovision. Really enjoy it last year. There are some boring song (e.g the OT title) but I like and enjoy more song this year than last year. Also, unlike last year, I don't have anyone I want to cheer for, which makes this year very interesting for me.

I don't have a top 10 or 5 or winners, but I like Belarus, Bulgaria, Azerbaijan, Poland, Belgium, Hungary, Finland and Iceland in no order. Other than Bulgaria, I do not expect any of those to win though as we know the live performance is way more important.

My bet on winners are Serbia, Italy or Bulgaria. Blanche could win, but her live version makes me think twice but she still have a lot of time to improve.

Roufianos

I wonder which Ancient Greek monument FYROM will use as their backdrop this year.

Depicting Phillip II's tomb was just embrassasing.

oti

Banned
Title is way too esoteric, OP. You could've quoted UK's Brexit song or something instead.

If Australia wins, which I hope they do, Eurovision should be hosted there.

It would be fitting.
They won't. Even if they did, it would most likely be held in Germany or something.

Going to be watching the final with a few friends in a cinema near me so I'm totally in and very excited for this Eurovision.

I actually love Ireland's entry this year. Murray's voice is totally not what I expected, but I actually really like the song and love his voice. Unfortunately for him I really don't think he's going to do very well, and I think the jarring nature of his voice (which has very a feminine quality to it, which I personally love, but I don't think this will be universal) will throw a lot of people off it.

Bulgaria, Belarus, Belgium, Italy (WTF), Austria, and Macedonia's entries are songs I really like, but I haven't watched everything. A lot of the song's this year are don't really stand out I feel.

EDIT: Oh and I'm looking forward to the ridiculous gifs.

I expect Portugal to no make it to the final, as per usual! :D

The bookies and many people think Portugal has a shot at top 5, actually. It seems people are really liking Salvador and his song. Probably is a dark horse to many.

Title is way too esoteric, OP. You could've quoted UK's Brexit song or something instead.

It's literally the title of a song this year. That said, you had a whole week to suggest something. I asked twice for OT title suggestions, one time last weekend and one time yesterday. Yet you weren't there oti xero. So don't nag at me now.

addik

If Australia wins, which I hope they do, Eurovision should be hosted there.

It would be fitting.

They won't. Even if they did, it would most likely be held in Germany or something.

Nah, make Austria organize it to make the Austria/Australia mess up even more confusing.

"Wait, so Australia won... a European singing contest? and it will be held in Austria? Australia, you sure?"

oti

Banned
The bookies and many people think Portugal has a shot at top 5, actually. It seems people are really liking Salvador and his song. Probably is a dark horse to many.

It's literally the title of a song this year. That said, you had a whole week to suggest something. I asked twice for OT title suggestions, one time last weekend and one time yesterday. Yet you weren't there oti xero. So don't nag at me now.

Sure. But who cares about Slovenia. *nagging*

Nah, make Austria organize it to make the Austria/Australia mess up even more confusing.

"Wait, so Australia won... a European singing contest? and it will be held in Austria? Australia, you sure?"

Good idea!

Australia also debuted in the contest hosted in Austria 2015. :p

Sure. But who cares about Slovenia. *nagging*

DrM does, he's from there. Also last year we had San Marino in the title and you didn't nag either. >:[

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Can't wait for our awful song to be dead last, but our national TV will keep pouring money into this... #jokeisonSlovenia

Raise your hands if you not root for your country being last

Well... I'm hoping my country of residence qualifies and gets onto the left side of the scoreboard, but it's Austria so it's an uphill battle. My country of origin withdrew and would've done very well regardless cause Russia + disability bonus. The country of my ethnicity is going to do solidly I believe despite being Israel. And the country I'm normally rooting the most for cause I love it, San Marino, has sent another shitty Ralph Siegel song, so it's destined to be a crash.

Spyware

Raise your hands if you not root for your country being last

crickets
Every third year or so I hope for us to win because we're the best at hosting. All other years I hope for us to end up in the top 10 to keep our status as a great Eurovision country ;)

I don't really love our song this year but I don't think it deserves any hate either. It's one of those place 5-10 songs.

Oersted

The most entertaining things(atleast for me) about the Eurovision are....

the wackos

the occasional great performances

and the afterwards handwringing and Happy-Go-Blame-Around when the country failed.

There is no entertainment value in mediocrity getting middling places. You better be either great or fail miserably.

RocknRola

If they somehow do well this year, with a song from the 40's, Eurovision becomes even more of a joke as far as I'm concerned :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom