• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2017 |OT| Slovenia: "On My Way - to the lowest score"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucreto

I thought this thread was a little early but it's 3 weeks away.

I don't think my country (Ireland) will qualify again this year. I am not feeling it. Louis Walsh from X-Factor fame picked the singer and the song so it's going to fail.

My favourite event of the year. I'm going in blind or i am at least so far. Never even heard our entry but i can predict its quality...

I'm certainly avoiding bookies this year, they became too good at predicting this.

jcjimher

It's that time of the year again!

gpiNc0z.gif

Look at the Moldova song...Epic Sax Guy (and his group) is participating again this year!!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The UK is in such depths of despair that I'd actually forgotten about this completely.

What dark times.

Look at the Moldova song...Epic Sax Guy (and his group) is participating again this year!!

They fully embraced the meme this time. :p

The UK is in such depths of despair that I'd actually forgotten about this completely.

What dark times.

I can already imagine Brexit UK hosting the contest. Back to the old pre 90s times where Eastern Europe was not participating... tho this time they're just not allowed to travel into the UK! :p
Good thing it'll never happen cause god forbid the BBC send something good.

At least Scotland might join in the next few years.

Apzu

It's been 20 years since the UK last hosted Eurovision. They should lobby for the song in official language only rule to return, it seems that's the only way they can win again.

Ireland should also lobby for that or they could just go with Johnny Logan for the third time.

Peru

Shame the sadsack jury will stop good old fun time novelty tracks from getting to the final.

In other words

Justice for ESC yodeling

jiiikoo

Banned
The melody at the beginning of Germanys song reminds me of a another song but for the life of me, I can't figure out what song that is. Does any of you know? :eek:

Nevermind... Titanium with Sia.

I'm in love with Belgiums Blanche, the song is fucken amazing. And Lucie Jones is really good. Would love to see either one of those to win, but not going to happen... Finland's song is good too (maybe biased) but I don't think it holds it's own to Belgium or the UK.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can already imagine Brexit UK hosting the contest. Back to the old pre 90s times where Eastern Europe was not participating... tho this time they're just not allowed to travel into the UK! :p
Good thing it'll never happen cause god forbid the BBC send something good.

At least Scotland might join in the next few years.

I think the UK entry is quite good this time. But whatever message it's trying to send is going to crash and burn.

addik

The French one is actually pretty good, easily the best out of the so called big ones.

I actually liked it, save for the chorus which just seems to kill all momentum. But, I still do like it, and the Eurovision version is much better than the original version (mainly because the instrumentation seems more powerful).

Sadly, I don't think it would do well though. It could crack the Top 10, and I hope it would crack the Top 5, but I doubt it.

Italy might win it. But, front runners tend to underperform come finals night for some odd reason.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jesus. I just listened to a random sample including UK, Slovenia, Greece and Iceland. They all sounded like they were written by a teenage edgelord who speaks English as a second language. Including the UK one.

Jesus. I just listened to a random sample including UK, Slovenia, Greece and Iceland. They all sounded like they were written by a teenage edgelord who speaks English as a second language. Including the UK one.

UK choosing so poor songs will never be amusing to me.

UK is the cradle to some of the best popular music ever, and all the can do is send an Adelle wannabe...

(Damn, our entry (Spain) is so fucking bad it hurts...)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

I can't make any sense of the UK one. I mean I can take a guess at what it's trying to say, but it just seemed like nonsense.

Trying to listen to it as little as I have to, so maybe it will all make sense at the final and the UK will be catapulted to victory and the BBC will be bankrupted as Brexit marches onward.

So we as the UK are sending a singer to belt out "I will never give up on you' to the EU.

BHuFhzY.gif

Could be a message for everyone in England Scotland Wales and NI, "Together we'll dance through this storm"

"This madness we're running through"

"I don't care what we've go to lose"

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh god the Dutch entry ( ._.)

I've been seeing that band name in headlines for weeks, if not months but I still have no idea how the fuck to pronounce it. Even when reading it my brain goes "I dunno, random jumble of letters I guess".

I've been seeing that band name in headlines for weeks, if not months but I still have no idea how the fuck to pronounce it. Even when reading it my brain goes "I dunno, random jumble of letters I guess".

Oh-jeen, their blood type is O ('O') and they are sisters ('gene') and there are three of them, hence the '3'. Yes, it's dumb. Their song is also bad.

They can SING, though.

I think the UK entry is quite good this time. But whatever message it's trying to send is going to crash and burn.

The UK song is alright. It's boring, and in a contest that's a sea of ballads, almost all of which are much better (and those that aren't won't qualify)... it won't do well.

Is Italy the favorite to win? I liked their song best. Also why are most of the countries singing in English?

Yes.
Because more people understand English than any other language.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I need to escape from the UK election thread, can someone recommend something Ubereurovision?

Even if I saw it the first time I need the joy wonder humour and confusion that Eurovision can bring. It's an emergency!

Tonight I had a dream that Slovenia had to pull out this year because of lack of cash. It was a good dream.
It also makes me think that maybe I'm starting to get a bit too obsessed with Eurovision...

Apzu

Tonight I had a dream that Slovenia had to pull out this year because of lack of cash. It was a good dream.
It also makes me think that maybe I'm starting to get a bit too obsessed with Eurovision...
Just one more week to go...

iRQQJ5Z.gif

Comparing those views, you can tell Greeks are excited about Demy. The performance seems super lame though.

https://youtu.be/BdFQtUa6Mpk

Idk, first impressions across the ESCsphere were very positive for her, much more positive than they were for the song itself. Apparently they're playing with a lot of projection and water tricks and it looks slick as fuck with the right camera angles.

The buzz is all about Armenia and Azerbaijan (for good reasons), and Belgium (for bad reasons).

oti

Banned
Idk, first impressions across the ESCsphere were very positive for her, much more positive than they were for the song itself. Apparently they're playing with a lot of projection and water tricks and it looks slick as fuck with the right camera angles.

The buzz is all about Armenia and Azerbaijan (for good reasons), and Belgium (for bad reasons).

Yo! Armenia and Azerbaijan are bringing it this year. Both interesting songs. Both fresh. Shame on you, Germany. Be more like those countries.
The Greeks are always super excited about the Greek ESC entry.
No.

https://youtu.be/55ubbjAzwYA

Apzu

As we are getting so close to the semi-finals, I finally got to listen to all of Tuesday songs and I'm starting to think portugal has a chance of getting in the finals. From semi-final 1 I think the songs that'll go to the finals are:

I cant go on (sweden)
Don't Come Easy (australia)
City Lights (belgium)
Skeletons (azerbaijan)
Amar pelos dois (portugal)
This is Love (greece)
Flashlight (poland)
hey mama (moldova)
Paper (iceland)
Fly with me (armenia)

I'm not sure if Belgium is gonna make the finals. The studio version and the music video are gorgeous, but it seems like the live performance is incredibly lackluster, and I hear that the first rehearsals weren't promising.

So there's a few things I've learned today, which I thought I'd share with you lot.

First, apparently in 2015, 4 countries sent delegations to the ESC - Tunisia, Morocco, Kosovo and Kazakhstan.
And second, before the overhaul to the page, there was a tidbit added to the participation rules late last year, which said that associate EBU members could also participate (though their participation would be decided on a case by case basis). Among Australia, both Kazakhstan and Kosovo are associate EBU members, along with China, who has had talks with EBU in 2015 also, as well as Japan, India and the USA, among others. Hmmm.

So far nothing has come from it, of course, but still interesting tidbit.

That said, on the current site's rule list, it says nothing about the associate EBU members, and also that a maximum of 46 countries are legible to participate, which is also interesting. If all countries that had participated in the past or expressed interest but currently can't join (e.g. Liechtenstein) would apply, some would get rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom