• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2016 |OT| San Marino: "I didn't know - anyone but Serhat :("

Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
By that logic, the best film of that year was Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Fair enough, but Rise like a Phoenix had all the staying power of fruit fly in the charts, and is therefore much closer to the ephemeralness of a Transformers film. Not sure ephemeral and best song go well together.

legit can't remember a single thing about the winner. that never happened before. i can sing all the winner songs back to 1988.

song was okay i guess?

Congrats to Ukraine, at least its not Russia.
Dami need extra omph in performance visually i think. She should do what she did in xfactor :

I think thats the prevailing theme to why they won in the first place, the song was complete shit (Not that the Russian one was much better). Australia are the true winners.

Ah yes! Thank you.
It's been bugging me the whole time.
I wouldn't have known / remembered either, lol.
That song is so terrible btw.

I just came around watching some of the official music videos.

Dami Im - Sound Of Silence (Australia) is bland af. The song gets sort of boring after 2,3 listens, but I suspect it's going to end up the best selling song of this ESC and that's fine, it's definitely not bad.

Barei - Say Yay! is much less bland, but nothing special either. As far as sales go it will probably come in second.

Francesca Michielin - No Degree of Separation is also quite meh. The song should be completely in Italian :|

Michał Szpak - Color Of Your Life should consist of gameplay scenes from The Witcher 3.

ZOË - Loin d’ici meeehhnng.

For Jamal's 1944 there doesn't seem to be an official video, just some mixed stuff like this.
However this is pretty great: Eurovision 2016 - JAMALA - 1944 Ethnic instrumental cover

Also only some studio thingy for Nika Kocharov & Young Georgian Lolitaz: "Midnight Gold", way more bearable without epilepsy inducing light effects. This is going to be in some ads very soon.

Some vlogs I came across:

Hromadske Eurovision Video Diary - YouTube

MY TRIP TO EUROVISION (Part 1) - YouTube
DAMI IM | MY TRIP TO EUROVISION (VLOG 2) - YouTube

It's so crazy to see all these posts calling this win purely political. The media is making it more political than it should be. Even Russia gave Ukraine 10 points. Sure politics influence Eurovision and that's why it's so much fun to watch. And in this case I'm actually happy that it's political, but you guys are overreacting.

spekkeh

Banned
I think it's clearly political but I'm fine with it. If Eurovision doesn't throw Russia out of the tournament and they actually have a shot at winning, then have all our votes Ukraine.

Bri

Norway gave us 0 (ZERO) points. That is a political statement if I've ever seen one.

Just watched Love Love Peace Peace for the first time. Amazing. Captures what Eurovision is all about. Just pure ridiculousness.

Spyware

So what do people think of the new scoring system now? I think I like it. In the old system the jury and televotes would interfere with each other, making it so that a televote fav could get zero points in extreme cases. That's not the case now.

Example: Land X jury puts Land Y song in 26th place. X televoters put song Y in first place. Old system places this around the middle of the board, 13th or so which is outside of the top 10 so no points for Y from X. In the new system this would get 0 from the jury then 12 from the televotes which seems much more fair.

spekkeh

Banned
The new system sounds fairer, but in this case the jury had better taste than the televoters, so the old system would have resulted in a better ranking.

Jasup

lol block/diaspora voting is political as fuck.

Yes, and?
The only way to get out of that is to block people from voting. And anyway, it's part of the whole experience. What would Eurovision be without people complaining about the results and finding convoluted reasons for their own favourite's loss.

Yes politics do affect the result, it always has and always will because of people voting. However you need to have at least a decent song to win, because political votes alone are not enough.

While I preferred Australia, I can easily see the appeal of the Ukrainian entry and why people liked it.
I didn't care much about the Russian entry, but it was a memorable performance and again I can see why it won the popular vote.
Then there's the curious case of Poland. I thought it was dire. However my mom liked it and going by that anecdotal evidence - there probably was something to it I just don't understand.

Ansatz

Politics and block voting will always be there (you still need a strong entry to win) but what bothers me is many juries deliberately gave Russia a few or no points at all to maximize the distance between their favorites and them and thus prevent them from winning, essentially they have the power to choose who wins and they abuse it.

Jury voting is 100% tactical and biased, I find that behavior unacceptable especially because their dislike of Russia has nothing to do with the song itself. They easily had the best entry this year, a fitting winner for eurovision if a bit cliche but it was robbed for bullshit reasons. I would be ok with Australia winning it but at the same time I don't see a point in them hosting the show if they aren't allowed to do it in their own country.

Politics and block voting will always be there (you still need a strong entry to win) but what bothers me is many juries deliberately gave Russia a few or no points at all to maximize the distance between their favorites and them and thus prevent them from winning, essentially they have the power to choose who wins and they abuse it.

Jury voting is 100% tactical and biased, I find that behavior unacceptable especially because their dislike of Russia has nothing to do with the song itself. They easily had the best entry this year, a fitting winner for eurovision if a bit cliche but it was robbed for bullshit reasons. I would be ok with Australia winning it but at the same time I don't see a point in them hosting the show if they aren't allowed to do it in their own country.

But exactly the same thing happened with Ukraine. Russian (and pro Russian) juries didn't give any points to Ukraine either. In this case Australia was the one who benefited from this bias. That's one of the reasons why it was so far ahead after the first round of voting.

When I first heard Ukraine's song this morning I didn't like it. I was disappointed that it somehow beat Australia. I would have preferred Russia to beat us as their act was very well done.
But after letting it sit for a while the Ukraine song is starting to grow on me. I have come to peace with the fact it bested us.
It was very emotional.

Then there's the curious case of Poland. I thought it was dire. However my mom liked it and going by that anecdotal evidence - there probably was something to it I just don't understand.

You know, that is a good point. Perhaps that song just was the one that appealed to the older audience. You have all these flashy pop songs, yet there's always this one ballad that does well for one reason or another.
Obviously there's Polish diaspora, but they can't be the sole reason why Poland ranked 4th in the televote.

Jokab

The UK song sounds soooo much like some other song I've heard, especially the chorus. It's driving me insane. Maybe Coldplay or something? Probably British but I'm not sure. Anyone?

The jury was more objective than the popular vote. Why?

1) It's about the songs, not the act. Go read the rules. Nowhere does it say act.
It says song, consisting of music & lyrics. While regular people may have gone nuts about flashy Russian gimmicks, the jurors clearly didn't.
Let the Russian song play without the act / video: Outdated, instantly forgettable pop diarrhea.
Now do the same with Jamala's song: Modern beat, mixed with ethnic Turkic instruments. More meaningful lyrics, way better voice, tonal changes, very emotional performance.

2) Block voting was non-existent with some jurors, For instance, pretty much no one gave a fuck about the German entry, even though we've gotten 8 pts. from the pop. vote from Switzerland and 2 from Austria which is clearly block voting. You know where we got our 1 juror point from? Georgia. Another example is Russia: 12 popular points from Armenia, 2 from Armenian jurors.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Still the best moment of Finals, warp 9 engaged
wdx8zLD.gif

oti

Banned
Summaries for this year:

Ukraine: I really want Love and Peace for everyone.
Germany: Animu is more popular than the UK.
UK: We beat Germany.
Russia: Fuck the juries.
Poland: Fuck the juries.
Spain: Back to Spanish for next year.
Georgia: LIGHTS MOTHERFUCKER.
Australia: Not like this.

Feel free to add others.

Oersted

The jury was more objective than the popular vote. Why?

1) It's about the songs, not the act. Go read the rules. Nowhere does it say act.
It says song, consisting of music & lyrics. While regular people may have gone nuts about flashy Russian gimmicks, the jurors clearly didn't.
Let the Russian song play without the act / video: Outdated, instantly forgettable pop diarrhea.
Now do the same with Jamala's song: Modern beat, mixed with ethnic Turkic instruments. More meaningful lyrics, way better voice, tonal changes, very emotional performance.

2) Block voting was non-existent with some jurors, For instance, pretty much no one gave a fuck about the German entry, even though we've gotten 8 pts. from the pop. vote from Switzerland and 2 from Austria which is clearly block voting. You know where we got our 1 juror point from? Georgia. Another example is Russia: 12 popular points from Armenia, 2 from Armenian jurors.

Saying only the song is supposed to matter is as dumb as it gets, when you have a gigantic live broadcasted TV show with fancy stage and camera gimmicks.

Still the best moment of Finals, warp 9 engaged
wdx8zLD.gif

HGwVh4V.gif

Summaries for this year:

Ukraine: I really want Love and Peace for everyone.
Germany: Animu is more popular than the UK.
UK: We beat Germany.
Russia: Fuck the juries.
Poland: Fuck the juries.
Spain: Back to Spanish for next year.
Georgia: LIGHTS MOTHERFUCKER.
Australia: Not like this.
Cyprus: http://i.imgur.com/JhoPD59.gif

Feel free to add others.

Added Cyprus.

Saying only the song is supposed to matter is as dumb as it gets, when you have a gigantic live broadcasted TV show with fancy stage and camera gimmicks.
The original post claimed that Russia "easily had the best entry this year". Well, their song was quite bad, the dude's voice is nothing to write home about either. The jurors are supposed to give their musical expertise first and foremost.

Oersted

HGwVh4V.gif

Added Cyprus.

The original post claimed that Russia "easily had the best entry this year". Well, their song was quite bad, the dude's voice is nothing to write home about either. The jurors are supposed to give their musical expertise first and foremost.

The visual performance is part of the performance. Feels pointless to seperate the two.

Jasup

The visual performance is part of the performance. Feels pointless to seperate the two.

Well yes, however if you go here: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results
You can check who the individual jurors were in each country, as well as how they voted. Most notably most of them were professionals in music industry, which makes them listen to the song more than focus on the stage act - because that's basically what they do.

Well yes, however if you go here: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results
You can check who the individual jurors were in each country, as well as how they voted. Most notably most of them were professionals in music industry, which makes them listen to the song more than focus on the stage act - because that's basically what they do.

Absolutely.
Apart from that: Performance as in dancing (the singer's actual performance), yes? Sure, let's take that into account: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94dst20C9Y

There was like a 10 second long dance sequence and what else? What was the guy's superb performance exactly? Striking poses and climbing around? Or did he program those visual effects? Lmao. Gimmicky fucking shit.

So even as far as actual performance goes Spain, Belgium, Bulgaria have far outdone Russia.

Part of the reason for this was explained above; it's typical that the countries with a strong potential to win have a tendency to rank the other top contenders lower than they otherwise might. If Russia hadn't been one of the favorites going into the final, it's possible the Armenian jury would have ranked them higher. One Russian juror ranked Australia 24th, which single-handedly robbed her of a few points with their jury. The jury system is messy.

The new system is better for people who want a stronger role for the televote.

Pedrito

RT never disappoints

Mark the date. Saturday May 14, 2016, the day the music died and a song contest whose well-intentioned original aim of national harmony has become the latest front in the Western elite’s obsessional and relentless new Cold War against Russia.

What we saw last night, as some on Twitter have commented, was a replay of the 2000 US Presidential election between Al Gore and George W. Bush, when Gore got the most votes, but the neocon-backed Bush made it to the White House. The Establishment may give us plebs a say, but it has mechanisms to make sure that it gets the result it most desires.

While Russians will understandably feel cheated – in one way what happened last night was good as it shows to everyone the limits of democracy in the West.

People have to be seen to be given a voice – but to make sure the result is not one that elites don’t like ‘blocks’ have to be put in place.

In the US, the peoples candidate Bernie Sanders is gaining on Hillary Clinton in the race to get the Democratic nomination, but even if he does catch Hillary the Hawk, the candidate of Wall Street and the military/industrial complex, there’s the unelected ‘Super Delegates’ - of whom Clinton is said to have the support of 524, compared to Sanders’ 40.

Banned link so google it.

The whole thing is gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom