• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Preseason 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
my country's song is meh... GG

other then that, they have some decent songs. will watch this year.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I am genuinely in awe that Russia is clear favourite at the moment, the song is so pedestrian and doesnt stand out whatsoever. It sounds like a middle of the pack song you'd get in any year, how has it shot so far ahead?

oti

Banned
I am genuinely in awe that Russia is clear favourite at the moment, the song is so pedestrian and doesnt stand out whatsoever. It sounds like a middle of the pack song you'd get in any year, how has it shot so far ahead?

It's the most Eurovision song this year. The dude seems to be also kinda popular in Russia and its neighbours?

I don't think the results will be as clear as it is made out to be right now though.

Peru

I think this year's field is stronger in terms of modern sounding pop than any year before. It's hard to pick a clear favorite - I don't think Russia will win.

Jasper

Azerbaijan's participation in Eurovision has always been irritating because:

1). Azerbaijan have been busted for cheating in Eurovision by offering bribes. In fact Eurovision had to change their rules because of Azerbaijan's shady bribery tactics (and stop Azerbaijan from trying to cheat again).

Here's an undercover documentary from the BBC (from the UK) called "Eurovision's Dirty Secret Azerbaijan"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oea2XGsIbvI

2). If someone in Azerbaijan votes for Azerbaijan's neighbouring country Armenia, the police have tracked those people down, dragged them to a police station, and questioned those people for why they voted for the "enemy" (and have also tried to arrest them).

Azerbaijan television have also in the past blocked Armenia's entry in Eurovision airing on Azeri television (they literally block the video & sound when it's Armenia's turn to perform).

For the police to get involved and drag people to police stations for simply voting for a song, and for the television bosses to shut down the television signal when a country they don't like is performing....what the fuck is this country thinking, are they another Iran or Saudi Arabia?

3). Azerbaijan pays a shitload of money to have non-Azeri's from around the world - put together Azerbaijan's Eurovision entry. The song-writer, song producer, song composer, music video producer, dancers on stage, etc....are 99% of the time foreigners and not Azeri's - and I don't think that's what Eurovision is about.

Since Azerbaijan's entry in Eurovision, just 1 song was actually written and composed by an Azeri. Every other song, Azerbaijan have had to pay other people from other countries (mostly always Sweden) to write and compose Azerbaijan's Eurovision entry.

It's terrible because it makes Azerbaijan look like an uncreative joke (that they cannot write and compose their own songs)....and quite frankly a country habitually year after year after year having to rely on another country to basically create their entire Eurovision entry for them - is in my opinion not really in the spirit of what Eurovision is supposed to be about.

3). Azerbaijan pays a shitload of money to have non-Azeri's from around the world - put together Azerbaijan's Eurovision entry. The song-writer, song producer, song composer, music video producer, dancers on stage, etc....are 99% of the time foreigners and not Azeri's - and I don't think that's what Eurovision is about.

Since Azerbaijan's entry in Eurovision, just 1 song was actually written and composed by an Azeri. Every other song, Azerbaijan have had to pay other people from other countries (mostly always Sweden) to write and compose Azerbaijan's Eurovision entry.

It's terrible because it makes Azerbaijan look like an uncreative joke (that they cannot write and compose their own songs)....and quite frankly a country habitually year after year after year having to rely on another country to basically create their entire Eurovision entry for them - is in my opinion not really in the spirit of what Eurovision is supposed to be about.

You are aware that a LOT of countries send entries that weren't entirely created from the population of their own nation, right?
Switzerland won the contest once in the 1980s sending Celine Dion, a decidedly non-Swiss artist. Alexander Rybak who won for Norway in 2009 is Belorussian. Ralph Siegel, a German song writer, has written Eurovision songs for not only Germany, but also Luxembourg, Switzerland, San Marino and Montenegro (and that's just the countries that actually sent Siegel-produced songs; there's a bunch more countries where Siegel didn't make it past the national selection).
And that's just from the top of my head.

Yes, many countries send performers who are from their respective nation, but it's not solely about that. Eurovision has never been about countries ONLY having their own artists perform songs written by their music industries.

Singing in English is the biggest violation of the "spirit" of the contest anyway, and only hardcore, obnoxious traditionalists care about that anymore.

Azerbaijan has a shitty government that deserves plenty of criticism, but the Azeri Eurovision team has done a fantastic job making sure that its artists are almost always competing among the best.

Jasper

Remember when Anke Engelke bitch slapped the hell out of Azerbaijan? That was cool.

http://youtu.be/saV83DidBA8

What exactly is happening here?

Oh and as for my post regarding Azerbaijan's Eurovision entry usually consisting of foreign song writers, song producers, song composers, music video producers, dancers etc...I don't have a problem with it happening here and there, but for Azerbaijan it has happened with EVERY SINGLE ENTRY except for one (their first performance back in 2008).

And note this year will be the 9th year that Azerbaijan has performed in Eurovision. For me personally, it does make Azerbaijan appear creatively bankrupt that they need to consistently outsource for talent from non-Azeri's.

What exactly is happening here?

That was during the ESC that was hosted by Azerbaijan. During voting process where they contact every country to give their votes, Germany's spokesperson Anke Engelke made that remark as a note that people know of the things going on in Azerbaijan (hence the "Europe is watching you" line).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom