• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Preseason 2017... anyone? (gifs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa Mello results were an emotional rollercoaster tonight, was legit shocked when Loreen didn't make top 2. Hopefully the jury can sway things and send it to ESC because I think it has a good chance of placing at the very top there. When I heard it for the first time I had similar feelings as when I heard 1944 and Rise Like a Phoenix the first time, it's a winner people!

Even if it doesn't win Mello, it's my favorite song this year by far.

PS Krista getting seventh place last week was a farce, her song was really good and my second favorite this year. Maybe I should start voting...

LordPusha

Epic sax guy and his crew will be representing Moldova again this year, hoping for some good gifs comin out from that, lol.

Apzu

Epic sax guy and his crew will be representing Moldova again this year, hoping for some good gifs comin out from that, lol.
What's happening this year? First Loreen, now the sax guy, who will be the next one to come back? Ruslana? No, wait... it'll probably be Johny Logan :O

What's another year...

Does anyone else not watch anything Eurovision until it's on?

I really like not knowing anything on the night, and seeing all of the countries' acts for the first time.
I kind of do that. I've only listened to Portugal's entry, because it's the closes thing to having my own country singing in Eurovision, and Loreen's because it's Loreen.

Whoa Mello results were an emotional rollercoaster tonight, was legit shocked when Loreen didn't make top 2. Hopefully the jury can sway things and send it to ESC because I think it has a good chance of placing at the very top there. When I heard it for the first time I had similar feelings as when I heard 1944 and Rise Like a Phoenix the first time, it's a winner people!

Even if it doesn't win Mello, it's my favorite song this year by far.

PS Krista getting seventh place last week was a farce, her song was really good and my second favorite this year. Maybe I should start voting...

I liked Krista's song, too, and what she did last year. It's pretty clear that SVT doesn't want her representing Sweden, though.

After finishing Deltävling 4 I guess I'm undecided whether to be surprised or not surprised. Loreen was very clearly the best of the heat and Wiktoria had a cute performance but the rest were sorta... there. Even the fansites going nuts over Alice wasn't enough for me to not be underwhelmed by the song and performance. And "Jag är fri (Manne Leam Frijje)" was way better than this mess from Jon Henrik. I don't get it.

This year had some incredible performers but really weak songs, which is disappointing. Maybe Sweden won't tie Ireland any time soon after all...

...wait is UKs song about brexit

about how they're good

about how the EU will be ok after they leave

about how the EU needs them more?

obin_gam

If Loreen doesnt win the Swedish finals then Wiktoria will.
Loreens song was better, but damn that Taylor Swift song was awesome!

Spyware

I'm not so sure Loreen would do well in ESC.
Previous winner returning - makes some not vote just because of that.
She would be repping sweden - many think we've won too much and don't vote because of that.
A "political" song with more focus on the meaning than the melody - will make a bunch of people say we're just "copying Ukraine" and sending "what worked last year to ride on the wave of that" which loses some votes.
It's a "strange" performance - yes, it really connects with some people, especially those who reads about it all before. Imagine what a person that simply watches the ESC finals will think. Hearing it for the first time, not getting the meaning, not connecting with it. Sure, it's a performance you remember, but will you vote for it?

It all adds up. And on top of that she would still need to convince the swedish voters to send her at all. That is not an easy task.
It seems the Mello voters really want to send an anonymous pop song this year. I know we don't wanna win again this soon, but that doesn't mean we have to send something baaaad!

Apzu

Portugal's second semifinal was much better than the first one. Here are the four songs that are going to the finals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3jU-a-vurI - Gente Bestial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV3D18emZcg - Eu nunca me fui embora
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s76SwcpZ2pk - Don't Walk Away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=milpdMX1nOg - Primavera

I think Portugal should go with the last one (Primavera), I'm not sure it will even get to the finals but at least it's fun. Another option is to go with the first song (Gente Bestial).

jcjimher

I'm not so sure Loreen would do well in ESC.
Previous winner returning - makes some not vote just because of that.
She would be repping sweden - many think we've won too much and don't vote because of that.
A "political" song with more focus on the meaning than the melody - will make a bunch of people say we're just "copying Ukraine" and sending "what worked last year to ride on the wave of that" which loses some votes.
It's a "strange" performance - yes, it really connects with some people, especially those who reads about it all before. Imagine what a person that simply watches the ESC finals will think. Hearing it for the first time, not getting the meaning, not connecting with it. Sure, it's a performance you remember, but will you vote for it?

It all adds up. And on top of that she would still need to convince the swedish voters to send her at all. That is not an easy task.
It seems the Mello voters really want to send an anonymous pop song this year. I know we don't wanna win again this soon, but that doesn't mean we have to send something baaaad!

If Loreen finally goes to ESC again (it seems difficult but I would surely like it) it will be more of a "prestige" return. Somewhat like Lena in 2011, with a more artsy and less commercial song/performance.

And I think that would be a great choice for Sweden if they don't want to win again this soon but want to maintain or improve their "brand".

Tugatrix

Portugal's second semifinal was much better than the first one. Here are the four songs that are going to the finals:

I think Portugal should go with the last one (Primavera), I'm not sure it will even get to the finals but at least it's fun. Another option is to go with the first song (Gente Bestial).

I prefer the first

Spyware

If Loreen finally goes to ESC again (it seems difficult but I would surely like it) it will be more of a "prestige" return. Somewhat like Lena in 2011, with a more artsy and less commercial song/performance.

And I think that would be a great choice for Sweden if they don't want to win again this soon but want to maintain or improve their "brand".
I agree! I really don't want us to send something anonymous, which sadly seems more and more likely D:

RocknRola

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3jU-a-vurI - Gente Bestial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV3D18emZcg - Eu nunca me fui embora
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s76SwcpZ2pk - Don't Walk Away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=milpdMX1nOg - Primavera

Why are all these awful? >.>

oti

Banned
I think I figured out why I like Loreen's song so much. It reminds me of a soundtrack to the Olympic Games or something.

I look forward to our meeting in last place again. I'll bring the Brötchen, you the Käse.

But our Semmeln are miles better. D:

Anyway, I don't think this song is gonna do terrible. It's non-offensive, but it's also not as non-noteworthy like the Makemakes were when we hosted. I can see it get through the semis.

Nathan Trent's song is.... pleasant. It does nothing for me but I don't hate it or him. Austria is looking as gorgeous as ever in the video.

Wiktoria's song has grown on me a lot, like a whole lot. I would have loved to see her win Mello last year but this year will suffice. I'm still baffled by Nano's resilience with bookies and hope it's another Linus Svenning result with the international juries tempering the point totals. The song/story might do well at Eurovision but the performance needs a lot of cleaning up and Wiktoria/Loreen are more stage-ready imo. Loreen's song is still legit great and it was fun watching the Swedish media implode over the results from afar.

Cyprus/Croatia/Netherlands releasing their songs throughout the week and then Estonia's act (probably Kerli) on Saturday. Eesti Laul is still a great show for foreign viewers.

Bladenic

I don't really care for Statements but I'm surprised Loreen didn't automatically win by virtue of having won the whole contest before.

Crazy.

The Swedes have even axed Carola in Andra Chansen before, so it's not entirely unprecedented, but it's nuts that she lost to.... that.

Sucks that Dismissed also lost. This is probably the most boring melfest finals since 2005.

Loreen had the only really worthwhile song this year. I don't follow Swedish tabloids so I'm not entirely sure why people were so against it. It was superior to everything else in both performance and composition and I can't imagine any other song successfully representing Sweden in the ESC now that Statements has been rejected, the rest of the songs were just filler to me.

The only remaining song which I find compositionally interesting is Good Loving by Ingrosso, but I don't think it has even a remote chance of winning mello. I've watched every week of the show this year but I'm not sure if I will watch the finals since I don't care about any of the songs who are still in.

Kinda hoping Sweden won't even qualify for the finals now.

It would certainly be fitting and I'm very willing to hold a grudge but given the current state of the contest most of the finalists would probably sail through the semis.

Kind of sad that after the dust has settled it will probably only be Hungary who decided to send anything even remotely off-center and interesting. Iceland might have Svala but her performance was very odd and low-key given the song. Azerbaijan's artist is interesting, but the country is so obsessed with winning that they will probably give her another very safe song. All of the remaining countries don't really have the will to choose a daring, different song except for Armenia, whose artist this year is anything but.

Estonia even passed on Kerli.

Demy better bring me a bop. Imri, too.

jorma

is now taking requests
Aaand Loreen is out.
WTF Sweden?

Her contribution was nothing special. I was really disappointed in her song, it probably should have qualified for the final but it was never a winning entry.

I had really high hopes considering how hyped it was by the press, but after i watched it i was mostly "wtf, was that it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom