• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2016 |OT| San Marino: "I didn't know - anyone but Serhat :("

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time of the year again which GAF loves and hates. In the week and a half leading up to the event, let's get to know the contestants, talk about past Eurovision's best and most absurd acts, post gifs, etc.

Wikipedia said:
The Eurovision Song Contest 2016 will be the 61st edition of the Eurovision Song Contest. It will take place in the Ericsson Globe in Stockholm, Sweden, following Sweden's victory at the 2015 contest in Vienna with the song "Heroes", performed by Måns Zelmerlöw. This will be the third time the contest has taken place in Stockholm, after 1975 and 2000, the latter also being held at the Globe. The contest will consist of two semi-finals on 10 and 12 May and the final on 14 May 2016. The three live shows will be hosted by Zelmerlöw and Petra Mede.

Forty-two countries will participate. Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia and Ukraine will return after absences from recent contests, while Australia will also return after debuting as a special guest in 2015.

Official EurovisionGAF Vote

- Send me a PM with your country of residence and your votes.
- Tell me whether you want to remain anonymous. Your country will be displayed however.
- No voting for your own country.
- Feel free to also vote for the semis. Note however, that this isn't a vote for all songs, but only the finals, and the 2 semis separately. You can't vote for San Marino in the Finals' vote, for instance.
- You can give out 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points respectively, so your list should look like this:
A - 12
B - 10
C - 8
etc.
(Starting with 1 and working up to 12 is fine too, just have them in ascending or descending order.)

Also important: While I would appreciate every voter to fill out the entire top 10 list, if you really feel like there's no 10 songs that even slightly appealed to you, you can omit the lower scores.

I will reveal the results in a google doc and maybe make some fancy graphs.

For the country rule:
If you are living in a country that doesn't participate, everything is fair game.
If you are a Greek living in Germany, you cannot vote for Germany.

This year's line-up:

Semi-Final 1:

01. Finland: Sandhja - Sing It Away
02. Greece: Argo - Utopian Land
03. Moldova: Lidia Isac - Falling Stars
04. Hungary: Freddie - Pioneer
05. Croatia: Nina Kraljić - Lighthouse
06. The Netherlands: Douwe Bob - Slow Down
07. Armenia: Iveta Mukuchyan - LoveWave
08. San Marino: Serhat - I Didn't Know
09. Russia: Sergey Lazarev - You are the Only One
10. Czech Republic: Gabriela Gunčíková - I Stand
11. Cyprus: Minus One - Alter Ego
12. Austria: ZOË - Loin d'ici
13. Estonia: Jüri Pootsmann - Play
14. Azerbaijan: Samra - Miracle
15. Montenegro: Highway - The Real Thing
16. Iceland: Greta Salóme - Hear Them Calling
17. Bosnia and Herzegovina: Dalal & Deen feat. Ana Rucner and Jala - Ljubav Je
18. Malta: Ira Losco - Walk on Water

Bonus: Live performances of the grand finalists voting in this semi - Sweden, France and Spain.

Results

Semi-Final 2:

01. Latvia: Justs - Heartbeat
02. Poland: Michał Szpak - Color of Your Life
03. Switzerland: Rykka - The Last of our Kind
04. Israel: Hovi Star - Made of Stars
05. Belarus: IVAN - Help You Fly
06. Serbia: Sanja Vučić ZAA - Goodbye (Shelter)
07. Ireland: Nicky Byrne - Sunlight
08. F.Y.R.O. Macedonia: Kaliopi - Dona
09. Lithuania: Donny Montell - I've Been Waiting for this Night
10. Australia: Dami Im - Sound of Silence
11. Slovenia: ManuElla - Blue and Red
12. Bulgaria: Poli Genova - If Love Was a Crime
13. Denmark: Lighthouse X - Soldiers of Love
14. Ukraine: Jamala - 1944
15. Norway: Agnette - Icebreaker
16. Georgia: Nika Kocharov and Young Georgian Lolitaz - Midnight Gold
17. Albania: Eneda Tarifa - Fairy Tale
18. Belgium: Laura Tesoro - What's the Pressure

Bonus: Live performances of the grand finalists voting in this semi - Italy, Germany and United Kingdom.

Results

Grand Finalists:
01. Belgium: Laura Tesoro - What's the Pressure
02. Czech Republic: Gabriela Gunčíková - I Stand
03. The Netherlands: Douwe Bob - Slow Down
04. Azerbaijan: Samra - Miracle
05. Hungary: Freddie - Pioneer
06. Italy: Francesca Michielin - No Degree Of Separation
07. Israel: Hovi Star - Made of Stars
08. Bulgaria: Poli Genova - If Love Was a Crime
09. Sweden: Frans - If I Were Sorry
10. Germany: Jamie-Lee - Ghost
11. France: Amir - J'ai cherché
12. Poland: Michał Szpak - Color of Your Life
13. Australia: Dami Im - Sound of Silence
14. Cyprus: Minus One - Alter Ego
15. Serbia: Sanja Vučić ZAA - Goodbye (Shelter)
16. Lithuania: Donny Montell - I've Been Waiting for this Night
17. Croatia: Nina Kraljić - Lighthouse
18. Russia: Sergey Lazarev - You are the Only One
19. Spain: Barei - Say Yay!
20. Latvia: Justs - Heartbeat
21. Ukraine: Jamala - 1944 <- WINNER
22. Malta: Ira Losco - Walk on Water
23. Georgia: Nika Kocharov and Young Georgian Lolitaz - Midnight Gold
24. Austria: ZOË - Loin d'ici
25. United Kingdom: Joe and Jake - You're Not Alone
26. Armenia: Iveta Mukuchyan - LoveWave

Results

FAQ:
So when's this gonna happen?
The event is split into 3 parts - 2 semi finals (taking place on May 10 and 12 respectively), and a final on May 14. The exact starting time is to be determined, however, it will happen during the evening in Europe's time zones.

Ermahgerd why is ISRAEL taking part in EUROvision!?!?!?!?!?!?
Israel might not be geographically part of Europe, however, the contest is not for European countries, but for members of the European Broadcast Union (EBU) - to which Israel, and several other countries in Northern Africa and Western Asia count.

But what about AUSTRALIA? THATS NOWHERE NEAR YUROP!!!
In 2015, Australia took part as a guest entry specifically for the 60th anniversary of the Eurovision Song Contest. The country has the biggest viewer base outside of Europe, and since the 2015 contest's motto was "building bridges", the EBU thought it was a fun idea to have them participate. Since their participation in 2015 was such a big success, the EBU and Australian TV decided to continue the country's participation in Eurovision.
In case Australia wins, they will negotiate with a European country for the hosting. Otherwise, every other rule applies to the country. Whether or not Australia or any other countries outside of the EBU will be at any future contests is up in the air, as well.

So why are there already several finalists?
Besides the winner of last year and host (Sweden), the "Big 5" automatically skip the semis and are qualified to take part in the final from the get-go. The Big 5 are France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK, and are the countries that provide the biggest budget to the EBU.

Where can I watch this if I don't have a TV or live in a country that doesn't broadcast it?
Eurovision themselves provide a streaming service which you can find here. Note that the stream is likely going to be several minutes behind the televised broadcasts. If you are in a country eligible for voting, you also are not provided with the phone numbers.

God Eurovision is so bad why are you assholes watching this trash?
Sod off.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Previous Eurovision OTs:

Please tell me if any of the links above lead to wrong places.

Thanks to GCX for providing a fantastic OT to
steal
copy.

So let's have some fun and listen to some music!

Tugatrix

200x200px-zc-f7d0bb14_im-ready-lets-do-this-reaction-gif.gif

I'm here for the craziness

perched like a motherfucker

tbh I want LATVIA or BULGARIA to win but I'd be happy with most of the current faves barring Sweden

I kinda like Jamie-Lee

That entry is so utterly bizarre to me. You have this mellow song about death and the afterlife and neverending love even through them, but then you have the silly, almost whimsical lyrics and of course the Kyary Pamyu-esque costume.

oti

Banned
bad trash list:

- Austria
- Sweden
- Denmark

good trash list:

- San Marino

why even bother list:

- UK
- Ireland
- many more I forgot

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
why even bother list:

- UK
- Ireland
- many more I forgot
Definitely Italy and France :\ Croatian and Serbian singers' voices are wasted on those two songs. Totally uninspired production in so many songs this year.

San Marino song is maybe the only legit good IMO. There's a good level of retro self-awareness to it.

Kanhir

Can't wait to see the Russian entry live. Do you think he knows Russia only sent him to distract the gays?

oti

Banned
Definitely Italy and France : Croatian and Serbian singers' voices are wasted on those two songs. Totally uninspired production in so many songs this year.

San Marino song is maybe the only legit good IMO. There's a good level of retro self-awareness to it.

I like France's song. It's a good wake up song. Like ugh you wanna stay in bed but this song is so harmless and fun it's OK to wake up kinda song. Italy's song is nothing.

We deserve to come fucking last for sending Joe & Jake. Sterile-ass pop bullshit.

Rooting for Iceland purely to make up for Never Forget not winning in 2012.

Bring back the rapping dubstep astronauts.

Strax

We deserve to come fucking last for sending Joe & Jake. Sterile-ass pop bullshit.

Rooting for Iceland purely to make up for Never Forget not winning in 2012.

Bring back the rapping dubstep astronauts.

I'm from Iceland and in Iceland that song is considered a bottom 3 of all Iceland Eurovision songs.

Terrible.

Jamie OD

As long as Ireland qualifies for the final and doesn't finish at the bottom of the table it's all good.

Edit: Oh right we're sending a Westlife guy this year. Maybe failure to get past the semi-final isn't such a bad thing after all.

Ruruja

I think this will be my 20th consecutive year watching Eurovision (that I can remember).

My favourite winning song in that time is Denmark in 2000 with "Fly on the Wings of Love".

The song I think is the worst in that time is Greece in 2002 with "SAGAPO".

As always I'm watching for the craziness!

oti

Banned
Don't act like you have someone real to vote for. People won't vote for France, better than let it go to Russia and have half the countries not go next year.

I'll vote for Ukraine and San Marino
#yolo

I think this will be my 20th consecutive year watching Eurovision (that I can remember).

My favourite winning song in that time is Denmark in 2000 with "Fly on the Wings of Love".

The song I think is the worst in that time is Greece in 2002 with "SAGAPO".

As always I'm watching for the craziness!

Have you already forgotten what the UK sent last year?

S.A.G.A.P.O. is EurovisionGAF's official anthem.

Lucreto

As long as Ireland qualifies for the final and doesn't finish at the bottom of the table it's all good.

Edit: Oh right we're sending a Westlife guy this year. Maybe failure to get past the semi-final isn't such a bad thing after all.

Still better than the turkey or Jedward but only marginally.

tbh I want LATVIA or BULGARIA to win

Latvia? But... but... the singer of that song is struggling with singing. Like so hard. :C

I'm from Iceland and in Iceland that song is considered a bottom 3 of all Iceland Eurovision songs.

Terrible.

It's not that bad, but it's such an obvious copy of Euphoria/Only Teardrops that it makes my head spin lol.
There's been much much worse Icelandic songs. Though I would agree that it doesn't live up to you guys' usual quality.

There's definitely more energy than last year, that's for sure.

Still not really many straight-up dance songs or classic schlager -- lots of plodding mid-tempo songs with dramatic electronic percussion. It's why a lot of the early buzz centered around the songs that offered something a bit different.

Should be interesting to see who emerges from the semis. The OGAE fan clubs from around the world have almost all voted and mostly agree with the bookies regarding
France, Russia, and Australia

Should be a fun year.

Also the EBU released their flag policy about flags at the contest. The rainbow flag is fine as long as it's not used to "intentionally make a political statement"; same with the EU flag.

Banned flags:

Strax

Latvia? But... but... the singer of that song is struggling with singing. Like so hard. :C

It's not that bad, but it's such an obvious copy of Euphoria/Only Teardrops that it makes my head spin lol.
There's been much much worse Icelandic songs. Though I would agree that it doesn't live up to you guys' usual quality.

I was talking about Never Forget from 2012. Hear Them Calling is top 5 song from Iceland.

Ruruja

Have you already forgotten what the UK sent last year?

Of course.

S.A.G.A.P.O. is the definition of "good trash"

ruruja what is your feeling on the equally amazing and still-relevant anthem Euro Neuro? Give me chance to refinance.

SAGAPO was in the final though, and unlike Euro Neuro, you can tell they are taking their song seriously and truly believe it is a superb song, that's what makes it so appalling.

oti

Banned
SAGAPO was in the final though, and unlike Euro Neuro, you can tell they are taking their song seriously and truly believe it is a superb song, that's what makes it so appalling.

There were no semis back then if I remember correctly. SAGAPO is a bad song, a TERRIBLE song, but looking back I like it way more than Running ScareZZZzzZZZ for instance. Sure, winning or brining good songs is fine and all but in the end Eurovision to me is about making memories with friends or strangers like here on GAF and talk about how terrible/great SAGAPO is.

Ruruja

Sure, winning or brining good songs is fine and all but in the end Eurovision to me is about making memories with friends or strangers like here on GAF and talk about how terrible/great SAGAPO is.

Hey, I agree completely. I'm happy SAGAPO exists.

oti

Banned
Personally I am predicting these as the top 3:

1) France: Amir - J'ai cherché

2) Bulgaria: Poli Genova - If Love Was a Crime

3) Australia: Dami Im - Sound of Silence

I think Ireland, Belgium, Cyrpus and Malta will do quite well (Plus the UK, they will at least do *relatively* well). Russia and Sweden will do inexplicably well probably, I'm still baffled by Russia being current favourite with such a dire song.

I'd consider Spain above France, it's just really catchy and very modern. Bulgaria, I don't know. Sounds alright. But Australia wtf are those lyrics.

Belgium is boring but could end up in the final, Ireland is bad, Sweden is teeeerrrible and I don't understand how it is one of the favourites.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Slovenian song is so bad that even national radio is only playing it maybe once every two days and it is largely ignored by commercial stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom