• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2016 |OT| San Marino: "I didn't know - anyone but Serhat :("

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't see us (Belgium) getting to the finals. The song is nothing special, the only thing it has going for it is Laura's looks/enthusiasm

Tregard

Soothsayer
I don't see us (Belgium) getting to the finals. The song is nothing special, the only thing it has going for it is Laura's looks/enthusiasm

It's definitely in the stronger of the 2 semi-finals, but going last will keep it in memory when voting and I am pretty confident it can beat enough of the other countries in that semi-final to qualify.

oti

Banned
Bolded who I predict to be in the final. Doesn't mean those are my favourites.

Semi-Final 1:

01. Finland: Sandhja - Sing It Away
02. Greece: Argo - Utopian Land
03. Moldova: Lidia Isac - Falling Stars
04. Hungary: Freddie - Pioneer
05. Croatia: Nina Kraljić - Lighthouse
06. The Netherlands: Douwe Bob - Slow Down
07. Armenia: Iveta Mukuchyan - LoveWave
08. San Marino: Serhat - I Didn't Know
09. Russia: Sergey Lazarev - You are the Only One
10. Czech Republic: Gabriela Gunčíková - I Stand
11. Cyprus: Minus One - Alter Ego
12. Austria: ZOË - Loin d'ici
13. Estonia: Jüri Pootsmann - Play
14. Azerbaijan: Samra - Miracle
15. Montenegro: Highway - The Real Thing
16. Iceland: Greta Salóme - Hear Them Calling
17. Bosnia and Herzegovina: Dalal & Deen feat. Ana Rucner and Jala - Ljubav Je
18. Malta: Ira Losco - Walk on Water

sohois

Why does the UK even bother putting out these joker acts year after year? I'm not saying we should send Paul McCartney or something, but surely there are some reasonably talented musicians we could send instead of complete nobodies

Tregard

Soothsayer
Why does the UK even bother putting out these joker acts year after year? I'm not saying we should send Paul McCartney or something, but surely there are some reasonably talented musicians we could send instead of complete nobodies

We've sent known quantities like Bonnie Tyler in the past and they've done terribly, and then we've sent "nobodies" like the-then Jade Ewen and they've done well. And vice-versa, Blue, a known act, did well, where as Josh Dubovie, an unknown act, did awfully.

It really doesn't matter if they're a nobody, and you'll never get really well-known singers chomping at the bit to represent the UK anymore. The UK public voted for Joe & Jake, I still think it was the strongest of the proposals and I reckon it has a decent shot at top half of the board this year, it's not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be, especially in comparison with some of the other dross in this year's roster (My thoughts on Russia's song are already well documented in this thread)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
We've sent known quantities like Bonnie Tyler in the past and they've done terribly, and then we've sent "nobodies" like the-then Jade Ewen and they've done well. And vice-versa, Blue, a known act, did well, where as Josh Dubovie, an unknown act, did awfully.

It really doesn't matter if they're a nobody, and you'll never get really well-known singers chomping at the bit to represent the UK anymore. The UK public voted for Joe & Jake, I still think it was the strongest of the proposals and I reckon it has a decent shot at top half of the board this year, it's not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be, especially in comparison with some of the other dross in this year's roster (My thoughts on Russia's song are already well documented in this thread)

UK's entry is harmless enough and should do decently.

It's a suitable apology for the appalling Electro Velvet last year.

Ruruja

I think there's still a stigma about entering the Eurovision, especially from the UK where general opinion is you're likely to finish near last (though that's arguably due to the songs we send anyways, judging by Jade Ewan's success). No pop artist wants that on their CV.

Tregard

Soothsayer
UK's entry is harmless enough and should do decently.

It's a suitable apology for the appalling Electro Velvet last year.

It's not too similar to any of the other entries this year (without being completely left-field like Electro Velvet) so it should stand-out somewhat because of that. I could see a potential top 10 finish if the new voting system is kind to us.

Screw this attitude. I want China and South Korea and India and the US in Eurovision.

Absolutely, the more the merrier! Let's get a 3rd semi-final up in this!

oti

Banned
It's not too similar to any of the other entries this year (without being completely left-field like Electro Velvet) so it should stand-out somewhat because of that. I could see a potential top 10 finish if the new voting system is kind to us.

Nah, bruh. Left side on the board would already be a huge achievement for this song IMO.

I'm no fan of Christer Björkman but he's largely right about the BBC's attitude toward Eurovision. If your approach as a broadcaster is "we're better than this trashy competition" and your commentary revolves around derision and snark, it suggests they don't care to win and have no intention of trying. There's a world of difference between the lighthearted, non-serious approach of most vs. the downright mean stuff that the BBC often employs.

It's sad because there's an incredible amount of pop music talent in the UK, but it's up to the BBC to properly showcase it. Similar with NPO in the Netherlands. There's plenty of room within the confines of the ESC to class up the joint and showcase a bright young talent.

It would also help if the UK (both its broadcasters and citizens) would stop whining about political voting being the reason for its repeated failures.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The BBC's commentary is one of the best parts of the whole thing! Drunk Terry was the best.

And of course we don't want to win the thing, would probably get Doctor Who cancelled just to pay for it.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Then just drop out already. Nobody's gonna miss the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJuVD62brSM

For as much as people complain, the general opinion seems to be we enjoy being a part of the contest, I know I'd be very upset if we ever left Eurovision, I feel like we've been finding our footing again after a few years of getting no say in our entry, and I really think we could get another winner at some point in the future.

Plus, as one of the Big Five, we foot a major part of the bill, so when you say "Nobody's gonna miss the UK", you may want to consider everyone else having to chip in for the money lost, or a cheaper contest.

oti

Banned
For as much as people complain, the general opinion seems to be we enjoy being a part of the contest, I know I'd be very upset if we ever left Eurovision, I feel like we've been finding our footing again after a few years of getting no say in our entry, and I really think we could get another winner at some point in the future.

Plus, as one of the Big Five, we foot a major part of the bill, so when you say "Nobody's gonna miss the UK", you may want to consider everyone else having to chip in for the money lost, or a cheaper contest.

Sure, people will miss the UK's money, but this "we don't care this is dumb anyway" stick is getting boring. You need a Lena moment.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Sure, people will miss the UK's money, but this "we don't care this is dumb anyway" stick is getting boring. You need a Lena moment.

We're getting there, the last few years we've had one person at the BBC solely in charge of choosing an act, and they quite publicly didn't care. Now we're getting to choose our own acts again, and the UK gets a Eurovision radio service in the lead-up to the contest. It's no longer being looked at as a joke in the most-part, but of course, when our coverage is done by Graham Norton and Mel Giedroyc, who are comedians, there will be an inevitable amount of joking about still.

Eurovision 2020 in Belfast is still the dream!

oti

Banned
zyLl2Ui.png
1AVtG6x.png

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQ5JX4xQsk

Zafir

I'm no fan of Christer Björkman but he's largely right about the BBC's attitude toward Eurovision. If your approach as a broadcaster is "we're better than this trashy competition" and your commentary revolves around derision and snark, it suggests they don't care to win and have no intention of trying. There's a world of difference between the lighthearted, non-serious approach of most vs. the downright mean stuff that the BBC often employs.

It's sad because there's an incredible amount of pop music talent in the UK, but it's up to the BBC to properly showcase it. Similar with NPO in the Netherlands. There's plenty of room within the confines of the ESC to class up the joint and showcase a bright young talent.

It would also help if the UK (both its broadcasters and citizens) would stop whining about political voting being the reason for its repeated failures.
I don't think many people purely state political voting as the sole reason though.

I mean plenty of people complain about the utter trash we've often sent as well.

More over I think there is something to be said for neighbour voting. Not because of political reasons though. I think it's just purely cultural. I don't think it's that surprising that a lot of the Eastern European countries whom used to be part of the same country have similar tastes.

Lucreto

Can't wait for Ireland to do awful as always.

That's the problem living on the periphery of Europe. The song is not bad but I don't know if there was much Westlife appeal in Europe. I find it interesting to see how he fairs after the public vote was done away with. After Jedward and Dustin I think it was a good idea. If "My Lovely Horse" was an option people would have voted for it.

oti

Banned
I'm still upset about "Calm After the Storm" not winning in 2014 for Holland.

They are still huuuuuuuuge in Germany.

That's the problem living on the periphery of Europe. The song is not bad but I don't know if there was much Westlife appeal in Europe. I find it interesting to see how he fairs after the public vote was done away with. After Jedward and Dustin I think it was a good idea. If "My Lovely Horse" was an option people would have voted for it.

What is it with people and Ireland. The song is bad and the guy can't sing.

Lucreto

What is it with people and Ireland. The song is bad and the guy can't sing.

It goes to show tastes in music differ greatly from person to person and county to country. I think the Irish one sounds good but I wouldn't listen to it casually. To me the German singer can't sing at all and the song itself is horrible.

oti

Banned
It goes to show tastes in music differ greatly from person to person and county to country. I think the Irish one sounds good but I wouldn't listen to it casually. To me the German singer can't sing at all and the song itself is horrible.

I think the German song is bad too, but not that bad. I didn't know her before this, she won a casting show. I found this video of her singing Warriors (which is a song for LoL, the video game, how weird is that?) and I like her voice. It's kinda cold in a good way.

https://youtu.be/W3ST2SE6rgU

But yes, Ghost is a bad song.

So apparently the US will live broadcast the final. On Logo TV, whatever that is.

wikipedia said:
Logo TV (also simply known as Logo) is an American digital cable and satellite television channel that is owned by Viacom Media Networks. From its launch up to February 21, 2012, the channel focused on lifestyle programming aimed primarily at lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people

Never heard of it myself but I guess it is in a lot of cable bundles. Probably won't actually have much impact or increase exposure though. Also with that kind of channel target audience it probably wont attract mainstream audience even if they had some interest due to stereotyping by channel. A lot of channels you just skip because of their history or stated audience TLC, Hallmark, etc

Kanhir

Logo is pretty much "that channel that airs RuPaul's Drag Race" at this point.

Can't wait for Ireland to do awful as always.

We're in a semi with a not insignificant portion of Eastern Europe, and Nicky Byrne's live performances of the song have been godawful so far. We're not touching that final.

TeddyBoy

I think this will be my 20th consecutive year watching Eurovision (that I can remember).

My favourite winning song in that time is Denmark in 2000 with "Fly on the Wings of Love".

The song I think is the worst in that time is Greece in 2002 with "SAGAPO".

As always I'm watching for the craziness!

I had no idea that Fly On The Wings Of Love was a Eurovision song, I've only heard the DJ Sammy version.

I'll probably end up being free on the 14th so I'll be watching the final :)

Peru

This is a fun part of the Eurovision, when the hardcore fans start talking about rehearsal form and the odds jump up and down at the bookmakers.

aidanphantom

Neo Member
This is a fun part of the Eurovision, when the hardcore fans start talking about rehearsal form and the odds jump up and down at the bookmakers.

It really is a lot of fun!

I'm happily surprised this is happening to the UK entry right now.

YAAAAS SLAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY EUROPEEEEZZZZZZ. Cannot wait, hype is real yo, I've managed to go in unspoiled so everything is just going to be crazy new and awesome.

Zutroy

I like the UK entry this year ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Syder

This is probably the first time that we've this close to Eurovision and I've not known who's representing us (UK). I don't really get any enjoyment out of but I always find myself having it on my second monitor every year.

This is probably the first time that we've this close to Eurovision and I've not known who's representing us (UK). I don't really get any enjoyment out of but I always find myself having it on my second monitor every year.

You're not alone. Most people probaly don't know this year's entry.

UK song isn't too bad tbh. It's written by Swedes - along with 11 other songs this year - and the guys are ok performers.

Doesn't touch this year's best, though. Left half of the results would be a win.

oti

Banned
UK song isn't too bad tbh. It's written by Swedes - along with 11 other songs this year - and the guys are ok performers.

Doesn't touch this year's best, though. Left half of the results would be a win.

That's where I'm at. It's perfectly inoffensive and 14-year-old kids should vote for it. But more 14-year-old kids will vote for Sweden.

Anyway, I just hope that Ukraine will do well. It's my favourite song this year.

And everything I've seen from Greece looks tragic.

Tregard

Soothsayer
This was such a good song.

Real sleeper hit of last year, what a fantastic song.

We're in a semi with a not insignificant portion of Eastern Europe, and Nicky Byrne's live performances of the song have been godawful so far. We're not touching that final.

I think you've got a decent number of countries who can vote in that Semi that would be inclined to vote for Nicky, I'm feeling pretty positive about Ireland's chances.

It's funny seeing how everyone's tastes are so radically different. You have people like myself who love the UK, Irish, Bulgarian entries (and hell, I can even see some merit in Belarus's entry) and can't stand Ukraine's or Russia's, and then for other people it's entirely the opposite. I feel like this year is a lot more open that previous years, there is no clear runaway just yet (France is getting there though, but last time they were favourite was with "Sognu" and that ended up tanking into 15th place)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom