• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2016 |OT| San Marino: "I didn't know - anyone but Serhat :("

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when Slovakia with Horehronie was considered to be the bookmakers' favourite and ended up not even making it to the finals?

Just sent out my Eurovision Party invites.

Last year I hosted one that started at the very respectful time of 7:00pm but not this year.
This year we are watching it live.

This year we start at 3:00am.

And I don't care if no one rocks up, I'll still be there, surrounded by strudel, watching it myself.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda like Jamie-Lee

I mean..this is like a germanweeabokorea entry. it's like 3 countries in one..

I can't wait. I'll buy cheap aldi champagne, pizza and crisps. yaaay.

god damnit Poland what are you doing? did they not usually send hot blonde women?

First semi-final is on at the same time as United vs West Ham. I'm finding myself having to choose between watching grown men making an embarrassment of themselves as a crowd of onlookers are amazed by their incompetence or watching Eurovision.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Our song (Sweden) is so bad. And the kid can't sing. I didn't watch our national final, so I have no idea how this even happened. Guess the rest of the songs were just utter trash? Which is mostly always the case, of course, but yeah.

T.O.P

Banned
I was supposed to play Uncharted 4 tomorrow night but fuck it

Zelmerlov hosting is enough to make it a must watch <3

Majine

Banned
Lmao what, Justin Timberlake?

I guess Sweden was like "Phew, now we don't have to make our own musical number".

Spyware

Our song (Sweden) is so bad. And the kid can't sing. I didn't watch our national final, so I have no idea how this even happened. Guess the rest of the songs were just utter trash? Which is mostly always the case, of course, but yeah.
I don't understand the "can't sing" thing. He has his own style and while I don't really like it, I really can't claim that he "can't sing". He's not a great singer, but the song isn't made for one so it doesn't matter that much. Some people like it, so it works for him. He won on his "charm" tho and because it's different.
The other songs in Melodifestivalen were mostly generic pop songs without any identity at all. Mostly just trying to be the next Heroes or something. Not "utter trash", just forgettable.
Human by Oscar Zia was well liked and got close to winning but he really couldn't sing it well so I think it fell on that.

There was no clear "fav" in Melodifestivalen this year, it was extremely even between pretty much every song in the finals. It's kinda interesting when you look at the points.
Mostly our winners get over 100 points (Måns had 166, Loreen about the same) from only the televoting and the last places get single digits. Often the second song isn't even remotely close (second after Måns had 88) and the rest get points between 10 and 30, at most.

This year the song that got the least amount of points had 28, the majority below Frans had 35-45 and Frans won by getting... 68 points. That's even less than Robin Stjernberg in 2013 who didn't even win the televote and won just because of the jury votes.

So because Sweden couldn't decide on which one of the generic pop songs we would send and spread the votes out between all of them, the "strange" song won instead ;P

I was supposed to play Uncharted 4 tomorrow night but fuck it

Zelmerlov hosting is enough to make it a must watch <3
He was SO good at hosting the huge summer show "Allsång på Skansen" so I have very high hopes. He's extremely charismatic and seems to love everything he does.
Petra is a great host too. It's fun to see her be great in Eurovision because I don't really like anything else she does :D

oti

Banned
Lmao what, Justin Timberlake?

I guess Sweden was like "Phew, now we don't have to make our own musical number".

lol so random

I hope he'll kiss another dude on stage though, gotta keep that tradition up, Sweden.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4519-1398936745-4.gif

oti

Banned
Oh wait the first semi is today?!
The semis always end up sneaking up on me lol. Should be fun.

as the resident American fan I'll be dutifully working instead of watching live this year :(

but I will stay perched on the thread of course

Cappa

Banned
My coworker is out this week because he's at euro vision. Supposedly it's crazy out there with parties every day and the weather is nice

mclem

So apparently the US will live broadcast the final. On Logo TV, whatever that is.

Which might need a bit of info in the OP, because I'm hearing (second-hand, admittedly, but it's from the sort of fanbase that I'd expect to know these things) that the EBU website's stream of the final will be geoblocked in the US this year - but Logo will be offering a free stream on their site which won't require a cable login.

(Semis won't be geoblocked, but won't be on Logo either)

I hope everyone here has good enough taste to vote for Austria tonight.

Well actually I think her staging might be a bit boring but the song is my fave.

Which might need a bit of info in the OP, because I'm hearing (second-hand, admittedly, but it's from the sort of fanbase that I'd expect to know these things) that the EBU website's stream of the final will be geoblocked in the US this year - but Logo will be offering a free stream on their site which won't require a cable login.

(Semis won't be geoblocked, but won't be on Logo either)

Give me actual info that isn't just some "I hear this and that", and I will add it to the OP.

They don't vote at the live-TV performance, but before that?

The juries vote during a rehearsal run-through of each semi and the final, not the live show. The public and the juries are voting on two separate performances, yes.

There were a few issues with the video, namely that the ballot was partially revealed (jury ballots are not made public until after the competition) and apparently one of the jurors was overheard saying she would give Armenia high marks because her husband was Armenian.

The juries have been a corrupt mess since the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom