• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia to compete in Eurovision 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozubiwmrpz0

For the first (and maybe only) time Australia will compete in the 60th. Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna later this year. They will automatically be in the grand final but can also vote on both semi-finals. In case of them winning the 2016 Eurovision will not be held in Australia. Instead they'll have to co-host the contest with an EBU broadcaster in an EBU country and they'll compete in the contest for a second time.

Pretty crazy.

Rich!

What

So like, can Canada join Eurovision now? I have no idea why Australia can join other than the sharing of head of state. But even that makes no sense

Humidex

It's a one-off way to celebrate contest's 60th anniversary. The only possibility of them returning the following year is to actually win it this time round.

It borders Israel, doesn't it? Both of those European countries which compete in Eurovision.

I love the expansion, I'd love to involve a lot more countries in this because it's a Hell of a lot of fun and it's nice for everyone to mostly forget geopolitical issues and all sing and dance.

Strax

They will automatically be in the grand final

HJgABy7.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What? Why? Is it some kind of Austria - Australia thing?

Austria is just Australia during periods of austerity. Now things are started to recover, they repurchased the "al".

oti

Banned
Seriously questioning whether some people here know the difference between Austria and Australia.

Peru

Eurovision isn't a European thing per se, it isn't organised by the EU or something but by the European Broadcasting Union. I think any of the blue countries in this map can join in theory:
/IMG]

Well, no, the members of the Union can join. Normally. Which is why Israel can join, as a member. But Australia are invited this time to join the celebration since they've always been faithful followers.

It borders Israel, doesn't it? Both of those European countries which compete in Eurovision.

I love the expansion, I'd love to involve a lot more countries in this because it's a Hell of a lot of fun and it's nice for everyone to mostly forget geopolitical issues and all sing and dance.

until today the European Broadcasting Union let any country within its broadcasting "zone" compete, which includes Israel as well as a number of other non-European countries:

I have sort of mixed feelings, honestly. There's a ton of pop talent in Australia and obviously the country is more ESC-crazy than many eligible and competing countries, but it would be remarkably strange in the unlikely event the Aussies won. I thought the interval act last year was cute, but having them as legitimate competitors opens a lot of.... interesting doors.

I suppose ESC's appeal is more global than ever and they really want to push it as the premier global entertainment event, but imo there are probably other things the EBU could have focused on first to improve the competition.

But yeah, if it means more people in the thread this year then I won't complain.

Rich!

Just make it Univision Song Contest.

I would love to see what the asian countries would bring.

I want that just to hear the drunken commentary for it from Graham Norton.

Just like with Wogan before him, Norton is the best thing about the show.

Humidex

Eurovision isn't a European thing per se, it isn't organised by the EU or something but by the European Broadcasting Union.

Something like that. The key element of the EBU is that its members are either state-owned TV broadcasters or private organizations with a public service remit.

Examples in Europe include the BBC (UK), ARD (Germany) and RAI (Italy)

Then you have the associate members, which typically are members outside of Europe. Which includes ABC (Australia) and CBC...

Why no U.S.?

Actually, in theory, they could. NBC/ABC/CBS are all associate members of the EBU!

Charles

Well, no, the members of the Union can join. Normally. Which is why Israel can join, as a member. But Australia are invited this time to join the celebration since they've always been faithful followers.

Except Israel (or Russia, or Switzerland, or...lots of other countries) is part of the European Union. They kind of just let everyone who wants to join.

For a few years Northern African countries took part as well. It's just a party, don't read too much into it. :)

popo

Eurovision is just the name of the broadcasters union that runs the event. There are no rules on who can compete other than being part of the trade group or invited to participate by the group.

It is why you have semi finals, dependant on how much money each country pays towards staging the event.

oti

Banned
Australia's struggle right now: "So we could send a really strong song and an amazing singer to represent us in this once in a liftetime opportunity... Or we send utter trash!"

boingball

I demand that New Zealand is also allowed to compete. We could send Lorde or Ladyhawke or Bic Runga. Or to shake it up we send the All Blacks doing their haka.

Whom will Oz send? Kylie?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I demand that New Zealand is also allowed to compete. We could send Lorde or Ladyhawke or Bic Runga. Or to shake it up we send the All Blacks doing their haka.

Whom will Oz send? Kylie?

Why should New Zealand compete? It's not fair if Australia is allowed to send regional teams, otherwise we should let Bavaria and Germany compete separately.

Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...

This is a fucking megaton and a half!

Madness

Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...Holy shit...

This is a fucking megaton and a half!

Australia being part of some pop reality singing contest is a megaton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom