• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision terminates contract with Chinese broadcaster after failure to broadcast 'gay' Irish performance

NovumAngel

Banned
The EBU (European Broadcasting Union) has tonight announced it has terminated its contract with the Chinese broadcaster Mango TV after it failed to broadcast Ireland's Eurovision entry.
On Tuesday the Chinese broadcaster, part of the second biggest channel in the country, edited out the Irish Eurovision entry over its depiction of a gay relationship.

The broadcaster, Mango TV, also failed to air the Albanian entry because the artist in question had tattoos.

BBC News is reporting that rainbow flags were also blurred by Mango TV when it aired the first semi-final of the contest this week.

http://www.thejournal.ie/eurovision-china-4005950-May2018/

https://www.independent.ie/entertai...broadcast-gay-irish-performance-36895120.html

e0n

So the broadcaster just followed the law and I guess the controversy is that banning them outright might be an overreaction.

Airola

I'd love to have an Eurovision thread here. Maybe all the flamboyant Eurovision lovers are now in the other place :(
I'm too lazy to build up one myself though, so before anyone suggests me to start one I'll say no.

Oh hell, I'm turning this one to an Eurovision [OT]!
My favorite this year was Belarus. Too bad they didn't get to the finals. Alekseev has a few other amazingly good songs too. This one has one of my favorite choruses ever:
I'm a sucker for well made melancholy.

Dunki

I'd love to have an Eurovision thread here. Maybe all the flamboyant Eurovision lovers are now in the other place :(
I'm too lazy to build up one myself though, so before anyone suggests me to start one I'll say no.

Oh hell, I'm turning this one to an Eurovision [OT]!
My favorite this year was Belarus. Too bad they didn't get to the finals. Alekseev has a few other amazingly good songs too. This one has one of my favorite choruses ever:
I'm a sucker for well made melancholy.

I have not watched it quite some time because A our entries are fucking garbage and i think it lost a ton of appeal and became really boring after the 2000s.

Airola

I have not watched it quite some time because A our entries are fucking garbage and i think it lost a ton of appeal and became really boring after the 2000s.

That's true (in both that it became boring and your entries have been garbage :D not that the Finnish entries have been great either even though Lordi won one year).
Me and the miss have been watching it every year though. There's always been at least one song I've enjoyed and for me part of the appeal has been finding that one gem from the mountain of mediocrity.

Makariel

Maybe, maybe not, I'm still watching and wondering if there will be any gay vampires, butter churners etc. today.

tumblr_mn2ya48gAF1r8m7p2o1_500.gif

A5stEzt.gif

original

original

For the Americans here: this is bascially the Hunger Games.

If only there was a chinese channel in which the main celebrity is a transgender person in China, like dragon tv. Instead of Eurovision giving it to the highest bidder

Seems like a cultural fuck up by both sides honestly , could easily had the Chinese steam hosted by jin xing

Last edited:
Top Bottom