• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia to develop the Eurovision Song Contest concept in Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.
¹ In the beginning Australia broadcasted the English's commentary of Eurovision. And it was good.
² And in 2009 Australia sent their own people to Eurovision to commentate to their sleepy audience. And it was good.
³ And in 2014 Eurovision invited Australia to give a half time show. There were people in spacesuits and people holding surfboards. Everyone agreed that it captured the spirit of Eurovision. And it was good.
⁴ And in 2015 Australia sent their first contestant, Guy Sebastian. He came 5th. It was good.
⁵ And in 2016 Australia will send Dami Im to compete. And I think we can all agree that while Dami Im is an incredible singer Shannon Noll was robbed.

⁶ And in 2017 Australia has the option to host the Eurovision Song contest concept for Asian Countries. And it will be very good.

SBS is pleased to announce it has signed an exclusive option with the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), the owners of the Eurovision Song Contest, to establish an Asian version of the famous Contest.

Building on the recent announcement revealing Australian Eurovision contestant Dami Im’s competing song “Sound of Silence”, SBS and production partners, Blink TV are now exploring the opportunity to establish the Eurovision Song Contest concept in the Asia Pacific region, offering broadcasters and sponsors the opportunity to be a part of this amazing event.

Chairman for the Reference Group of the Eurovision Song Contest Dr. Frank-Dieter Freiling said:

“We are excited by the fact that Eurovision’s appeal is crossing continental borders to Asian countries. SBS Australia has been broadcasting Eurovision for over 30 years, so we feel they are a perfect partner to build an alliance of networks with, and give Asian songwriters and artists the opportunity to perform on the Eurovision stage.“

Capitalising on the success, production values and scale of the Eurovision Song Contest, Eurovision Asia would encompass Asia Pacific nations, bringing together up to 20 countries to compete in one extraordinary live annual Grand Final.

The inaugural event would be hosted by Australia in 2017 and thereafter in other countries in the Asia Pacific. The broadcast rights will be licensed on a global basis and the event will offer the chance for Asia Pacific countries to showcase their song writing and performing talent to the world.

SBS Eurovision production partners Blink TV would play an integral role in developing Eurovision Asia as a broadcast event. Over the next few months it will lead discussions with potential sponsors, commercial partners and regional broadcasters with hopes to bring this event to fruition in 2017.

"Imagine - the musical virtuosity of Bollywood, the cutting edge of K-pop, and the excitement of Chinese and Japanese artists - now the biggest music consumers in the world. We are looking to build these partnerships, starting now. It’s a thrilling idea.

More at the link!

http://www.sbs.com.au/programs/euro...-develop-eurovision-song-contest-concept-asia

God bless this nation.
Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6603976713bbrsimage.related.articleLeadwide.729x410.13bglz.png1423650353714.png-620x349.png

oti

Banned
I'm pretty sure I've heard of other organizations trying to establish a Eurovision format in Asia for some time, but this would be licensed I guess, so we'll see.

But there is a Turkvision song contest if I'm not mistaken.

Deft Beck

This is either going to be amazing or a disaster. Or, given Eurovision, both.

I hope South Korea doesn't just send a generic K-pop group. There's a lot of opportunity to do something more unique.

sphinx

the piano man
it would be awesome if we had like 5 "eurovision" and then a world competition.

Americas
Africa
Europe
Northeast Asia/Australia
Middle Eastern

El Topo

it would be awesome if we had like 5 "eurovision" and then a world competition.

Americas
Africa
Europe
Northeast Asia/Australia
Middle Eastern

If I've learned anything from The Apple, this would be a really bad, really hilarious event.

Yagharek

I want to see "asiavision" include the pacific islands. There are some amazing singers that come out of that region. If you've ever had the opportunity to witness a Samoan funeral/wake, as sad as it is, the singing that comes as part of it is beautiful.

u_neek

Hang on, is Australia competing again this year? I thought last year was a one-off.

Good for you, Australia!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The world gets more shitty music and overly-nationalistic Asian people get yet another trivial thing to bicker over.

sphinx

the piano man
Block Voting fuckery cranked up to 11.

I approve.

oh I can tell.

Canada and Mexico would vote for each other and the proceed to spread points across minor, far away countries like Kiribati and Papua New Guinea, just for the shitz and giggles ^_^

USA would go like "well fuck you bad neighbours, nobody wants you, here, all our points are for Bangladesh!"

Yo, where does South Asia and South East Asia come?

together with NorthAsia and Australia? it's just a dream anyway.

JCX

I still have bad memories with how shit World Idol turned out.

Kelly was robbed. That's probably why they never did a second.

Years ago, there were rumors of NBC bringing it to the US and having states compete. This was before The Voice, maybe even before The One (RIP)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The best thing about the Eurovision.

oh I can tell.

Canada and Mexico would vote for each other and the proceed to spread points across minor, far away countries like Kiribati and Papua New Guinea, just for the shitz and giggles ^_^

USA would go like "well fuck you bad neighbours, nobody wants you, here, all our points are for Bangladesh!"

South America alone would probably reignite a few wars during the rehearsals.

addik

Man, I'm already cringing at the possible entries my country (Philippines) could send.

But we'll see how this will turn out.

Well, its true that us Aussies arent Asian, but we need other countries to actually enter the comp. lol
I would honestly love to see what kind of act North Korea would put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom