• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2017 |OT| Slovenia: "On My Way - to the lowest score"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but if it's the same as last year the show itself will be blocked too. USA here and it's annoying.

Man that sucks. We might have to find some of the respective countries' livestreams then so you lot can watch.
Especially since I've been trying to get some of my American friends into it. I've already tried to link some of last year's performances to a friend of mine but all the stuff's blocked in the US. :/

Yeah but if it's the same as last year the show itself will be blocked too. USA here and it's annoying.

I think the more ominous thing is that Eurovision.tv took down the Webtv part of their site. Logo isn't showing the Semi-Finals, and if they end up geoblocked on youtube and not available on the Eurovision site. I don't know how the US will be able to watch them, especially if we can't do it live.

oti

Banned
I think there was some US TV channel that broadcasted Eurovision last year. Maybe this year too?

I think the more ominous thing is that Eurovision.tv took down the Webtv part of their site.

It's not ominous at all, they migrated over to YouTube instead. And it makes sense to do so, they'll reach a bigger audience with it, and also won't require people to download their WebTV plugin. And as a cherry on top they don't even have to separately upload the live performances, they can just use the stream VOD and chop that up instead.

It sucks for people like you who won't be able to watch the YT stream (if that is true), but just logistically speaking, it makes absolute sense.

We're going to have to find a national broadcaster who has a webstream that won't get geoblocked.

I meant ominous in relation to my ability to watch it. Not some evil conspiracy or anything.

Ohh okay, lol.

It's not ominous at all, they migrated over to YouTube instead. And it makes sense to do so, they'll reach a bigger audience with it, and also won't require people to download their WebTV plugin. And as a cherry on top they don't even have to separately upload the live performances, they can just use the stream VOD and chop that up instead.

It sucks for people like you who won't be able to watch the YT stream (if that is true), but just logistically speaking, it makes absolute sense.

We're going to have to find a national broadcaster who has a webstream that won't get geoblocked.

I meant ominous in relation to my ability to watch it. Not some evil conspiracy or anything.

scamander

Banned
Afaik the German stream is never geoblocked, but of course the narration will be in German as well; so you have to decide if you can cope with that. :p

OMG IT'S DEMY <33333 VOTE FOR GREECE

Nah, song is shit; sounds like acoustic Butterkuchen.
<3

PS. What happened to the xero part of your name?

Apzu

I don't remember where i watched last year streaming, but I remember there was no narration. I'll check last year's thread to see if I can find which national broadcaster have non-regionlocked streaming.

Edit:
Many of the streaming links are region blocked to europe, I'm watching through the belgium een link:

http://www.een.be/programmas/eurovisiesongfestival/kijk-live-naar-het-eurovisiesongfestival

The best part is the sign language.
Interesting, it seems that last year I watched through the belgium streaming. I do remember some sign language, but I think I changed to another streaming later on. Anyway, I think that might work again this year for us that live elsewhere.

Edit 2:
Wait a second, Love love peace peace is on spotify now?

oti

Banned
Afaik the German stream is never geoblocked, but of course the narration will be in German as well; so you have to decide if you can cope with that. :p

Nah, song is shit; sounds like acoustic Butterkuchen.
<3

PS. What happened to the xero part of your name?

Greek song is lame but OK for this year. And it's not a ballad. Douze points.

I know less now.
Nobody called me xero so I dropped it.

Yeah, they still take down ESC 2016 videos from YouTube (including the Grand Final) because Logo has the exclusive American broadcasting rights. The loss of the webtv stream was very bad for me.

As far as I know there are several countries that broadcast it without geoblocks -- last year Sweden's SVT did if I recall, and their commentary is never obnoxious or disruptive. I'm going to miss the semis because I'll be at work while they air but if I have to use a VPN for the final, I will.

Also, odds talk:

Italy still at top but the odds have been lengthening while Portugal, Armenia, The Netherlands, the U.K. (!) and Finland have jumped a ton. Australia has also dropped quite a bit. It could actually be a race this year.

Apzu

Odds talk too
Portugal's odds are getting absurdly low, how? Also, it's quite interesting to see that both Portugal and Italy are getting so many bets on them even though they are one of the few countries not to sing in english.

T.O.P

Banned
Legit think that Italy is at least a top 3 this year, don't even like Gabbani that much but at least it's a tad different

Anyway, hyped

@What the fuck, why isn't Verka Serduchka presenting this shit? :(((

@@@ Epic sax guy IS BACK?????? Go Moldova, fuck everyone else

surprisingly i don't hate the swiss entry, this must be a first since Celin Dion.

::

i didn't hate last years winner song but my god was it forgetable. i had absolutely no idea how it sounded until i looked it up, i think it might be the winner song with the least radio play ever.

Listening to the winners of this century:

2000 - "Fly on the Wings of Love" - Decent song, first one i remember watching on TV. Stefan Raab made his Eurovision debut with "Wadde Hadde Dudde Da", his second of four entries. It was a big deal in Germany. He would eventually win the contest as the mastermind behind Germany's 2010 entry.

2001: "Everybody" - don't remember this at all

2002: "I Wanna" - same as above, must've skipped those two years

2003: "Everyway That I Can" - What i'd consider to be the birth of modern Eurovision, gone are the days were one person on the stage could sing a song and win, noew everybody needs a dance crew, fancy dresses and a gimmick.

2004: "Wild Dances" - I was obsessed with this Song and Ruslana, still like it. Clearly inspired by last years winner with the group dancing. Top 3 winner song for sure.

2005: "My Number One" - I was madly in love with Helena, what a song, what a woman. Probably my favourite Eurovision song ever. Looking back at it now, the dancing wasn't all that great though. I listened to this for months, i particularely enjoyed the music video ( &#865;º &#860;&#662; &#865;º). Again clearly inspired by the last two winners.

2006: "Hard Rock Hallelujah" - It was so much fun rooting for Lordi in 2006 and the song was fine too but honestly? They chose the wrong novelty act. "We Are The Winners" was much better, c'mon how can you not vote for those guys? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=54&v=DBAdOlQPbwg

2007: "Molitva" - I usually hate Eurovision ballads but this is a fine song by a fine performer. I had this on my iPod for a while, i would definitely sing a long if i knew some serbian. This would've been a fine winner too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=hfjHJneVonE

2008: "Believe" - I don't care for this one at all, i must admit that i barely remember it. I think this was one of those years were i was at a viewing party and had too much to drink.

2009: "Fairytale" - Obnoxious pretty boy with a fake violion, this should not work at all but i kinda like it. One of the few winner songs still getting radio play these days.

2010: "Satellite" - Oh god.. I was madly in love with Lena and not after she performed for the show, i fell in love with her the very second she appeared on the casting show she eventually won to qualify for the event. She didn't even open her mouth yet and i was already creating fan pages on the internet. I knew europe would fall in love with her too. The song was fine but she carried it with her charisma.

2011: "Running Scared" - Azerbaijan finally did it, they won Eurovision. I believe it was their countries number 1 priority. Alright song but it feels to manufactured, something everybody likes but nobody truly remembers.

2012: "Euphoria" - Now this was one of the few songs that actually had some success outside the Eurovision universe and deservedly so, who doesn't like humming along EUUUUPHHOORRRRIIAAAAAA!!

2013: "Only Teardrops" - Very cute song, still hear it on the radio every once in a while.

2014: "Rise Like A Phoenix" - Decent Bond song with an interesting performer attached to it. Bonus: It served as a nice "fuck you russia" song. Nothing bad to say about any of it.

2015: "Heroes" - Another good but bland song, everybody knew it would win and it did, not nearly as good as Sweden's other winning songs. They clearly mastered this Eurovision Song thing, finishing in the Top 5 in 5 of the last 6 years picking up two wins along the way. They will most likely add another Top 5 song this year. Nerf Sweden pls.

2016: "1944" - Another "fuck you russia" song and a nice winner considering the political climate. I think i voted for it last year but it was a dull year and the song is also a bit dull. Didn't crack the top 50 in any of the big european charts.

Before seeing the final performances tomorrow evening and on Thursday, here's who I think who will go through. Borderliners are ones that might or might not qualify.

Semi 1
Guaranteed qualifiers: Sweden, Azerbaijan, Portugal, Greece, Poland, Moldova, Armenia
Borderliners: Australia, Belgium, Finland, Iceland, Latvia (out of those, personally I think Finland, Latvia and Australia have the best shot)
Definitely not going through: Georgia, Albania, Montenegro, Czech Rep., Cyprus, Slovenia

Semi 2
Guaranteed qualifiers: Serbia, Romania, Norway, Bulgaria, Estonia, Israel
Borderliners: Austria, Macedonia, Malta, Netherlands, Hungary, Denmark, Ireland, Switzerland, Belarus (if I had to pick 4 to round out my 6 qualifiers, I'd say Macedonia, Switzerland, Belarus and maybe Netherlands have a good shot)
Definitely not going through: San Marino, Croatia, Lithuania

While I think Semi 1 is much much stronger, and I really like several of the ones I don't think will qualify (Georgia and Albania in particular), it also seems a lot easier to pick ones that will go for sure.
Meanwhile I think Semi 2 is pretty lackluster, but it's also really difficult to predict which ones are gonna go through, which is why my borderliners are so big lol.

Also, repeating my question, do you guys want to do a GAFovision jury voting again this year? This time more organized and less rushed, as well as covering the semis.

I'd vote if you invested the time into it, not sure how peppy the thread will be prior to the finals, though.

I agree with your "definitely nots", although I'd like to see the Czech Republic go through for personal reasons -- I don't want them to leave indefinitely like Slovakia. I also think the song/performer/performance is sweet.

I'm slightly more bullish on Finland because rehearsal impressions and buzz have been great, and Australia and Belgium because despite negative buzz since the rehearsals I think the songs and the track records are strong enough to probably land in the top 10 that semi. I'm much more bearish on Poland, because I think the Polish diaspora vote is generally vastly overrated and the song might get swallowed between Greece and Moldova. Also sadly a bit bearish on Iceland despite liking the song.

Armenia will win and should win the first semi.

Top 10 in Semi 1 (not ranked):
Sweden
Australia
Belgium
Finland
Azerbaijan
Portugal
Greece
Poland
Moldova
Armenia

I think Israel might not make it out of the semi unless the gays are organized like crazy -- rehearsals have been a disaster even for those who like the song. Hovi Star was boosted hugely by the juries last year and Imri Ziv (who apparently goes by IMRI now) will definitely not get that kind of love. I think Belarus and The Netherlands are probably safe and Hungary might do top 3 in the semi.

Bulgaria will win semi 2 but Romania could smash, they already tend to hover just outside the top 10 in Grand Finals and this performance is certainly their best since Mandinga.

Top 10 in Semi 2 (not ranked):
Serbia
FYRO Macedonia
Romania
The Netherlands
Hungary
Denmark
Norway
Belarus
Bulgaria
Estonia

I know a lot of people in the Eurovision bubble love the Hungarian entry (I like it myself), and I definitely applaud MTVA/Duna for picking a Romani artist singing about the discrimination his people are facing, but I'm weary about it because that discrimination exists, and there might just be enough prejudice against them that the Hungarian entry might not qualify.

That's why I put it into the borderliners. I might be overestimating the racism, but so far the only comparison we have is the Czech entry Aven Romale several years back, which received a whole 0 points in that semi it was in.
Granted, it also wasn't a great song, but I'm not sure it also deserved 0 points.

Edit:
Also, I think that Switzerland has a solid shot because Romania is in the same semi and the Romanian diaspora might vote for it because Timebelle's singer is Romanian.

Roufianos

Comparing those views, you can tell Greeks are excited about Demy. The performance seems super lame though.

https://youtu.be/BdFQtUa6Mpk

Greece's entry is fucking shit. Generic love crap that probably took 10 minutes to write. Greek is the perfect language for singing, why sing in English.

Could have sent Vegas, Master Tempo, Petrelis, Paola, Malou, anyone. Laughable.

At least we win best looking girl though.

oti

Banned
Greece's entry is fucking shit. Generic love crap that probably took 10 minutes to write. Greek is the perfect language for singing, why sing in English.

Could have sent Vegas, Master Tempo, Petrelis, Paola, Malou, anyone. Laughable.

At least we win best looking girl though.

Yeah, Malou would be awesome.
https://youtu.be/mvODSowT3KY

Demy also has way better songs than this cheap trash. But still, it's not as boring as this year's average.

Roufianos

Yeah, Malou would be awesome.
https://youtu.be/mvODSowT3KY

Demy also has way better songs than this cheap trash. But still, it's not as boring as this year's average.

God I love that song! Was listening to it today on the way to uni.

Mia fora sto toso is decent too. Yea Demy's pretty good, I've been listening to some of her shit since she was announced for Euro.

oti

Banned
God I love that song! Was listening to it today on the way to uni.

Mia fora sto toso is decent too. Yea Demy's pretty good, I've been listening to some of her shit since she was announced for Euro.

Mia fora sto toso has some great remixes. Des me is pretty good too. And from Demy I like I alithia miazi psema.

Apzu

I finally got to hear the songs of semi 2 and here's what I think will be the top10 (not ranked):

yodel it (romania)
lights and shadows (netherlands)
where i am (denmark)
origo (hungary)
grab the moment (norway)
apollo (switzerland)
story of my life (belarus)
beautiful mess (bulgaria)
verona (estonia)
i feel alive (israel)

Overall I think semi1 will be somewhat better, but semi2 might have more interesting/weird performances.

Kinan

Is this the year when Germany has the hottest participant?

8a4c8bbcf87b38244da608a3ff268ac0

How times have changed.

What are your picks, GAF?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Belgian entry went from a favorite to hopefully ending somewhere around the middle after rehearsals. She dropped to like a 11th spot with bookmakers after her her disappointing performance there, they previously had her at the top. Seems like a really hard song to nail live too

Joni

Belgian entry went from a favorite to hopefully ending somewhere around the middle after rehearsals. She dropped to like a 11th spot with bookmakers after her her disappointing performance there, they previously had her at the top. Seems like a really hard song to nail live too

Ugly dress and little movement. I hope the new dress she used in the last rehearsal is way better.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just listened to the Austrian entry for the first time and almost fell asleep. This will probably do reasonably well at the ESC. They seem to like their boring songs.

I finally got to hear the songs of semi 2 and here's what I think will be the top10 (not ranked):

yodel it (romania)

wait

wait

what

oti

Banned
I just hope it won't be as clear as people think. Italy is just OK.

Bulgaria has the song to be really successful beyond the contest I believe.

I could see some upsets happening. Something like Albania, they don't have that great of a song but it's Albania. They could reach the final and kick someone else out.

RocknRola

I swear if Portugal somehow make it further with this year's joke of song Eurovision will become even more of a "anual meme event" than before in my eyes :p

How it's somehow among the favourites is beyond me.

Something like Albania, they don't have that great of a song but it's Albania. They could reach the final and kick someone else out.

You say "lol albania cuz its albania" but the Albanian diaspora hasn't done wonders for Albania, like ever. They struggle to qualify almost every year, and when they do squeak through the semis, they always place in the right side of the scoreboard in the finals. Albania has cracked the top 10 twice, and both times the songs also were actually good.

The only countries I consider to be having super strong diaspora that can move shit are Russia, Turkey (which usually goes towards Azerbaijan these days), Poland, Serbia and Romania. Armenia sometimes.

I swear if Portugal somehow make it further with this year's joke of song Eurovision will become even more of a "anual meme event" than before in my eyes :p

The juries love the singer's vocals, and the performance is charming especially to older viewers.

Tugatrix

At first I hated but now the song has grown on me and I believe he has a fairly good chance to reach the final, vamos portugal !!!

Haven't really been into following the songs this year. Some that low key caught my attention were Armenia and Bulgaria's entries. It seems there are at least a few performances that should be entertaining as well, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom