• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Crayons

Banned
Wow...so I got the phone yesterday and my case is getting here tomorrow and I just cracked it.

Luckily it was only the corner. But talk, that really sucks.

Wow...so I got the phone yesterday and my case is getting here tomorrow and I just cracked it.

Luckily it was only the corner. But talk, that really sucks.
I had a cracked corner on my S7 edge since last summer. Sorry to hear about your S8. Still not putting a case on it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Got the S8+ Silver At&t variant tonight.

Did the Best Buy deal where you get a free $100 gift card. Already put in for my free entertainment bundle.

Guess I'm in the club now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I was surprised at how petite the S8+ was when I got it. Coming from a Moto X Pure it would've been hard to go any smaller. I still prefer the display on the Moto X – I'm not really a fan of the super wide/tall aspect ratio on the Galaxy. If (however unlikely) the Note 8 has a 16:9 display it'll be hard for me to resist.

Izayoi

Banned
I was surprised at how petite the S8+ was when I got it. Coming from a Moto X Pure it would've been hard to go any smaller. I still prefer the display on the Moto X – I'm not really a fan of the super wide/tall aspect ratio on the Galaxy. If (however unlikely) the Note 8 has a 16:9 display it'll be hard for me to resist.
I don't see Samsung backtracking on the new aspect ratio, to be honest.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't see Samsung backtracking on the new aspect ratio, to be honest.
Me neither. I'm just thinking about ways they could differentiate the Galaxy from the Note, but I know it's mostly wishful thinking on my part.

Izayoi

Banned
Me neither. I'm just thinking about ways they could differentiate the Galaxy from the Note, but I know it's mostly wishful thinking on my part.
I think they will really push the S-pen and dual cameras.

Who knows, they actually might maintain a wider aspect ratio. We really know nothing about it at this point.

NeOak

REMOVE YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT FROM THE PHONE BEFORE DOING THE FACTORY RESET

Otherwise, your phone will require you to log back in with your Google account for security purposes AFTER the reset. I learned about this the hard way...
Welp, I did a reset on the phone I'm returning without removing the account first.

Kieli

The exynos version looks like it definitely comes with ufs 2.1, it's the Snapdragon peasant version that has the variation of 2.0 and 2.1.

Is the 835 slower than the Exynos? The GPUs are also different (with the international having the Mali vs. the Adreno of NA market).

Is the 835 slower than the Exynos? The GPUs are also different (with the international having the Mali vs. the Adreno of NA market).

So far, the SD S8+ variant is also mostly UFS2.1.

It's the regular S8 that is in the lottery bag.

SD and Exynos should be same in performance mostly but recently Exynos has taken the lead. This was not the case during my Galaxy S4 days where SD always outperformed Exynos.

Hasney

UK S8+, Exynos and UFS 2.1. Neat.

There shouldn't be a lottery at all, but if there's a component stock issue, at least the more expensive model shouldn't be affected.

UK S8+, Exynos and UFS 2.1. Neat.

There shouldn't be a lottery at all, but if there's a component stock issue, at least the more expensive model shouldn't be affected.

Agreed. Having such things by manufactures hurt the trust and also hangs a sense of fear/anxiety of what will happen to your device and/or you will discover that you spent a premium amount on a device and it is not up to the standard as some others of the same model...

However S8+ isn't affected so far, both on Exynos and on SnapDragon. It's the regular sized S8.

Just got this last night and so far loving it with some of the customization I made. I have a question about cases though, that I hope isn't buried in the thread some place I can't find.

Are there any good minimalist looking cases? I plan on going naked most times, but would like a case for grip when I'm out jogging. One that is easy to snap on and off. Might use it for more than that if it doesn't take away from the look and feel of the phone.

Or should I just get a Dbrand skin to help with grip?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just got this last night and so far loving it with some of the customization I made. I have a question about cases though, that I hope isn't buried in the thread some place I can't find.

Are there any good minimalist looking cases? I plan on going naked most times, but would like a case for grip when I'm out jogging. One that is easy to snap on and off. Might use it for more than that if it doesn't take away from the look and feel of the phone.

Or should I just get a Dbrand skin to help with grip?

I like my Spigen thin fit. Very low profile.. Not as thin as the Samsung brand thin fit case but it is a bit more grippy.

Hasney

I like my Spigen thin fit. Very low profile.. Not as thin as the Samsung brand thin fit case but it is a bit more grippy.

Yeah, that's what I got as I wanted a stand for videos. Also makes up for the coral blue model not being out yet as my case is blue.

The Cowboy

I didn't think it would good (as caseless the phone is georgous), but I love how it looks in the LED case.
Well screw this case, 3 days I've had this LED case and the inside ridge (just over the card slot) has caused an abrasion mark on my screen (a perfect strait line going left to right on the upper middle) - crap thing is, i didn't put a card in the slot out of the fear it may mark the screen

Not happy at all.

Cleaned the screen as best I can and it's still noticeable ☹️.

Jeffrey

Well screw this case, 3 days I've had this LED case and the inside ridge (just over the card slot) has caused an abrasion mark on my screen (a perfect strait line going left to right on the upper middle) - crap thing is, i didn't put a card in the slot out of the fear it may mark the screen

Not happy at all.

Cleaned the screen as best I can and it's still noticeable ☹️.

damn... thats some 3ds hinge screen shit.

haven't notice any marks using the samsung clearview case.

Izayoi

Banned
The AKG Y50s included with the bundle are very decent. Not the best cans in the whole world, but I would never expect that from Bluetooth. Better than the pack-in buds by a country mile, though.

kirblar

Just ordered the Spigen kickstand case, had bought one from a different vendor w/ one, but the sides are just way too high. Backordered tho.

WarMacheen

Bought my S8+ on April 22 and was just told I don't qualify for either the vr or the new case/netflix promotion.

Garbage, I bought the phone in the 11 day window where you dont get shit.

Strakt

Bought my S8+ on April 22 and was just told I don't qualify for either the vr or the new case/netflix promotion.

Garbage, I bought the phone in the 11 day window where you dont get shit.

I was able to call them and ask for the VR promo. I bought mine on the 21st.. and they manually registered me for the gear vr with controller. It says I was approved and is processing gift atm.

WarMacheen

I was able to call them and ask for the VR promo. I bought mine on the 21st.. and they manually registered me for the gear vr with controller. It says I was approved and is processing gift atm.

I'll try that, did you call support on samsungs site?

Top Bottom