• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Unlike Jack, it feels like it would be antithetical to Aku's character to change much. His name literally means evil. I can agree that I wish Aku had been more active, I guess...but then again, even in the original series he wasn't that active outside of a handful of episodes. He always sat back and sent out minions in hopes that Jack would f up and die.

Honestly, the real missed opportunity is that they don't show him being a smart cookie. His schemes in the original episodes tended to be atleast somewhat clever. I wish we could have seen him to that atleast.

Can someone summarize it? As a whole the fanbase seems to be divided among the

-first 3 episodes were amazing, rest were disappointing due to pacing and decisions on what to emphasize. And the gurren Lagann ending lmao wtf

And the

- the season was fine, I liked it, it's his masterpiece and I wasn't bothered by decisions made.

Massicot

I'm fine with the TTGL ending, but I feel like they needed to pace it better. And I'm not saying that in the form of "we needed more episodes", I just think they could have shortened the sequences in the first part of the last episode (or maybe the second to last) and lengthened the back half. I feel like with a few tweaks it could have been a lot better. It almost felt like when someone is running out of time on an exam and just writes out the general ideas for the last couple questions for partial credit.

StoneFox

My opinion is that the entire season's pacing felt off and editing was a bit strange. There were times where they did the black bars when it felt unnecessary, and sometimes they held a shot on something that didn't really need it. And then there were plot threads like the guardian that were just left hanging and instead we got forced fanservice like Demongo literally going "hi remember me, k bye" even though the last time we saw him Aku basically killed him off. What was even the point?

I don't know if Ashi is to blame for the awkwardness of the season's pacing and writing, but I never felt like Jack needed a love interest. I know it was a lot of pressure to add a season onto a show that hadn't had a new episode in over a decade, and I do enjoy the season more than I don't, but I feel that having just 10 episodes was the biggest factor to the feeling of being rushed.

Can someone summarize it? As a whole the fanbase seems to be divided among the

-first 3 episodes were amazing, rest were disappointing due to pacing and decisions on what to emphasize. And the gurren Lagann ending lmao wtf

And the

- the season was fine, I liked it, it's his masterpiece and I wasn't bothered by decisions made.
You just summarized the division quite well. The first few episodes were great with good action, good villains, and amazing visuals. Then, some would argue, it fell off. Ashi and Jack kinda just had some adventures together and then Aku just kinda comes in at the end. The final battle is half an episode with the resolution being like 5 min long.

I really don't like complaining as I'm still elated I finally got closure on one of my all time favourite cartoon series.

However, I really wish we had more than 10 episodes this season. The first 3 episodes were just amazing media, amongst the best I've experienced across all forms. Episode 4 I do really enjoyed, it was a throw back to classic jack whilst subsequent episodes married the two tones well. I'd have liked for the rest of the story to have been told at similar​ pacing to the early episodes.

Bold One

Finally finished Samurai Jack - man what a gut-punch of an ending.

Bittersweet but so great.

Thank You, Genddy

pBAFzlJ.jpg

FoxSpirit

As a whole I liked the series but fuck that ending.
That tragic ending boner for people who have lead tragic lives. Oh yeah, but Jack instantly recovers after he is reminded what he has achieved. Bullshit, people don't work that way. After what he was though, that would have sent him down on a crushing road. 10 episodes of the people trying to restore his spirit. As someone who had a lot of personal drama, fuck shit like that. But I am happy who can find such endings interesting instead of aggravating, means nothing too terrible has happened to your psyche. Congratulations.

If you can't tell, I am in a shit mood feeling like crying. I am crying. Thanks Gendy, tragic heroes don't need personal happiness, only accomplish their mission. Exactly what I needed.

edit: finally calmed down a bit but damn, I seriously had hoped with all my heart they wouldn't do something so trite, cliche and cruel. And they waited for the final 2 minutes too. Woohooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom