• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

I really enjoyed the season, but I wasn't a fan of that ending.

I have no issues with bittersweet endings, but I agree with my wife in that the ending made Aashi feel like just a plot device. She existed solely to send Jack to the past to fulfill the shows mission statement, and Jack is left really being the same character he was at the beginning of the series.

Personally, I think real character growth would have been to have Jack realize that changing the past would erase all of the good he's done for people throughout his time in the future, not to mention erasing Aashi from his life. Then he and his allies could work to rebuild a better world now that Aku is gone.
Yeah, I think that's the finale I would have preferred. It felt odd to give the Jack, Ashi relationship so much importance just to take it away again right before the end.

Toxi

Banned
Well... That was fucking disappointing. They did the equivalent of allowing the coyote to catch and eat the roadrunner.

Zubz

Banned
The Scotsman always had the best lines.

He really did. I'm far more broken up over him fading out than Ashi.

Well... That was fucking disappointing. They did the equivalent of allowing the coyote to catch and eat the roadrunner.

That I'm fine with. It's the fact that everything allegedly-stable timelooped between the finale & Wil E. getting hungry in the first place.

Xe4

Banned
hiFOdMX.jpg

OMG. And then I remembered that Popeye got cancelled. : (

RRockman

Banned
So why is everyone assuming that EVERYONE that Jack helped in the future would dissappear or that his going back screws them all over? I keep seeing this around the Web and it bugs me. There are literally entire Species that are better off with Aku gone. There's also no reason an alternate Scotsman couldn't exist, he'd also be not dead as well. The Viking might not be in vallhalla, but conversely he never had to watch all of his friends and family members die, or be forced to live in shame for hundreds of years either. The Princess who failed in killing Jack Also would have had her people never be in danger in the first place as well. There are many more examples like these.

It would be infact incredibly selfish for Jack to stay in the future, because while he helped many over his 50 years and made plenty of friends, that doesn't compare at all to the plight of billions that have suffered for the hundreds of years under Aku.

I do agree that he should have been given this choice though, rather than Ashi making it for him, although I don't mind that too much because she knew exactly how important it was to him to go back and sets up the drama where she unwittingly screws her self over. However, I have no doubt in my mind that if she even if she knew that she would still force Jack through, given her personality. I think this is how it should have ended actually.

Ecotic

Man, forget Hotel Transylvania, that would be such a waste of talent. The answer is obvious, Genndy needs to be given a new Adult Swim animated show with a large budget and creative freedom. The event television Samurai Jack became was exciting as hell.

A.J.

Banned
I was pretty fine with the ending overall. My only problem would be
Ashi just popping out of existence a good while later instead of immediately, but it's time shenanigans so whatever.

PiFace

Banned
Ashi just popping out of existence a good while later instead of immediately, but it's time shenanigans so whatever.
You must really hate BFTF. It works similar to it. It takes time for the effects to be felt.

A.J.

Banned
You must really hate BFTF. It works similar to it. It takes time for the effects to be felt.

It's fine. I'm not a huge fan of single timeline stuff in general, but it is what it is. I saw it coming anyway even with the extended time frame.

Fj0823

C'mon, Jack deserved the happiness of those few weeks/months with Ashi

whipihguh

Banned

I don't think bringing up BTTF makes that part of the ending any better. BTTF actually sets that element to time travel up fairly early on, and it becomes an integral element to the plot, with Marty's whole existential race to the clock to make sure he's born.

The finale didn't set anything like that up, and if she was going to die, it should've been when she collapsed after Aku's death. Her hanging on long after that until their wedding of all things still seems like some lazy writing to inject some last-minute sadness into the ending. Just because BTTF did it doesn't mean Samurai Jack can do the same thing without any context behind it.

I mean, yeah, time shenanigans and all that, but even under BTTF rules, Ashi should've already been long dead. I think. Man, time travel is such bullshit.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Meh. I liked the direction this season took early on, but by the end it just regressed to a Saturday morning cartoon.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Opened
Wall posters
Replica katana on his bed
Closed

Tsunamo

I agree with what he said. It hit all the right notes/beats it needed to in the timeframe it was left with and I felt satisfied. I also assumed it was a Dragon Ball style thing where the timelines were separate but I like to look at it as Jack killing Aku allowed for a better future for everyone else there now so that gives me closure to the other characters.

Only thing i'm sad about is Ashi personally. I don't mind it happening or when it happened, I just don't like that it happened in the last two minutes and Jack had to suffer like that at the end. (though the ladybug was some nice symbolism)

My 2cents opinion:

I was enjoying everything up to the point where PTSD Jack goes off with the Dark Samurai on horseback.

After that point the tone shifted and the more interesting aspects of Jack and Ashi characters was put aside to get us from point A to point B in the plot in the least amount of time.

Astral Dog

The first few episodes were very good Scaremouch was the best thing this season.poor Aku though he didn't had a fun battle it was all Ashi

I wouldn't accept a Samurai Jack game that doesn't play like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden.

Honestly, a Samurai Jack game should play like a musou game (with an added bullet-time mechanic of some sort.

Also gives an opportunity to play as other characters like The Scotsman, Ashi, or Da Sam-Moo-Rhai...or even the Guardian.

Damn, it only took most of my life to get an ending to the series.

I'm glad it happened, I ain't even mad.

Finally caught up with the whole season in the last two days.

Thought it was a masterpiece. Open this thread and see people complaining.

*Shrug*

Honestly, I'm glad they went with finality. I am so tired of endless sequels at this point.

I don't think bringing up BTTF makes that part of the ending any better. BTTF actually sets that element to time travel up fairly early on, and it becomes an integral element to the plot, with Marty's whole existential race to the clock to make sure he's born.

The finale didn't set anything like that up, and if she was going to die, it should've been when she collapsed after Aku's death. Her hanging on long after that until their wedding of all things still seems like some lazy writing to inject some last-minute sadness into the ending. Just because BTTF did it doesn't mean Samurai Jack can do the same thing without any context behind it.

I mean, yeah, time shenanigans and all that, but even under BTTF rules, Ashi should've already been long dead. I think. Man, time travel is such bullshit.

Maybe since she had aku in her the timey wimey powers stuff she had was still in effect until the wedding and she was slowly losing them until that point or something

Xe4

Banned
Clone Wars exists, that's more of his masterpiece than this is.
As someone who loves Clone Wars, I heartily disagree. The first three episodes alone are better than clone wars (and around the same length too). That's ignoring all the rest of the really good episodes.

I had my problems with it (see precious post), and I wouldn't use the "M word" as I am very selective about what I do and do not call a masterpiece. However this season was fucking great and I can totally see someone calling it a masterpiece.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Finally caught up with the whole season in the last two days.

Thought it was a masterpiece. Open this thread and see people complaining.

*Shrug*

I thought it was fantastic as well, so you aren't alone.

People seem to be getting caught up in the logic of how time travel works in the show, which honestly feels a bit nitpicky.

Toa TAK

Banned
Count me in the group who loved it as well. As someone who didn't have much expectations for its final season, I was absorbed.

Xe4

Banned
How can you tell me everything past the first 3 episodes are a masterpiece. I can't.
4bUV7Ls.gif
Because opinions? Different people like different things? The animation, art direction, and production values were fucking impeccable throughout the whole series. Jack and Ashi, despite how you felt about their relationship were both good characters. Aku and the supporting cast was good as well. The action was great the rest of the way too, even if there was less than the first 3 episodes.

The sticking points for most people who had a problem was the pacing and to lesser extent plot and tone. If those didn't bother you (and they weren't bad by any means), one could easily think it was a masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom