• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone get a bingo?

tumblr_oq2casvAFa1uuguh4o1_540.jpg

Community not pleased should always be the free space but yeah middle row is a bingoooo

Mostly positive on the ending. I loved the twist of Ashi harnessing Aku's powers to return Jack to the past.

My only issue was that I felt Aku's death wasn't dramatic enough. It would've been much better to see future Aku and his world disappearing, with Jack's surviving friends in that timeline blissfully fading away.
You know, thinking about it now, I'm disappointed we didn't get this.

wwm0nkey

I would have also been okay with a shot of what the future Jack created looked like. Maybe have alt versions of his friends that existed in his new timeline or something

So now we hope Adult Swim commissions a third season of the Big O to finally answer all our questions and give it a nice clear and concise ending.

lol that would happen

cant remember who told me that adult swim wants to do more genndy shows, if 10 episodes is all they can afford then we sure as hell know he can't make it work so hopefully they opt to let him work with someone else lol

Goodstyle

Any ending that actually features Jack going back in time to kill Aku was destined to be a bad one because it makes the rest of the series worse in retrospect.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thinking about the season as a whole, you could probably cut it into a two hour movie quite easily. There's only 3-4 episodes where you need everything that happened in it: the one where Ashi goes looking for Jack and saves him from himself, Jack gets his sword back, and the final two. Outside of that you'd need about 5 min from that episode, 10 from this episode, just enough to get specific scenes.

Toa TAK

Banned
So it ended just as I expected it to, especially with Ashi ceasing to exist due to "time stuff". Thought the ending was beautiful, though. I'm not disappointed in it, not blown away but it reminds me of Breaking Bad (I know, large jump in quality/genre), but it has a really solid conclusion and worked for it despite the previous episodes being stronger, if that makes sense.

Xun

I would have also been okay with a shot of what the future Jack created looked like. Maybe have alt versions of his friends that existed in his new timeline or something
It certainly would've been a nice way of handling things.

That said I actually liked the ending, even if the pacing was a little off.

Zubz

Banned
After having had time to digest the ending, I must say that although I enjoyed seeing Samurai Jack have a conclusion, I'm still not over the fact that it made the entire world the series had built up to that point paradoxed out of existence.

I know it was the end goal since the first (Technically 3rd?) episode, but it just means that the unique & vibrant world we spend over a decade getting to know is just... Gone. All we're left with is just a melancholic, possibly immortal Jack returning to be prince with his apparently-younger parents. It just wasn't satisfying.

So it ended just as I expected it to, especially with Ashi ceasing to exist due to "time stuff". Thought the ending was beautiful, though. I'm not disappointed in it, not blown away but it reminds me of Breaking Bad (I know, large jump in quality/genre), but it has a really solid conclusion and worked for it despite the previous episodes being stronger, if that makes sense.

Again, I think what makes it rough is that we never got to see Aku going through any sort of turmoil or breakdown. He just got killed and that was it, it didn't feel climactic or final at all.

Compare that to the treatment of Jack, who must suffer yet another agonizing blow at the hand of his nemesis even after vanquishing him. After all Jack went through, and all of the buildup throughout the series, you'd imagine the "Jack finally kills Aku" moment would be way more significant than a 15 second sequence with no dialogue and no visible payoff for the future universe.

As I said before, they needed to clearly show Future Aku realizing that he had lost. That his rule was over. He needed a more poetic end, not a borderline random one.

Veelk

Banned
Decent enough finale, though I would have preferred an extra episode where Jack actually gets to interact with all his past friends. In general, it was kind of rushed. But that's on the writers since they had plenty of episodes to work with, they just spent a lot of it on developing Jack's romance with Ashi. which I get why they did, because she was the keystone and turning point of the battle against Aku, so she had to be important. But it felt like this should have been a 2 parter special.

jwk94

I never understood WHY she was alive. Was that explained or was it just something that was supposed to be talked about in the future.
Nope, never explained. I always questioned if she really didn't remember or if she just wanted to live a normal life like someone else here said.

A few good episodes (mainly the earlier ones) but overall it was garbo

Was never really in love with SJ as a kid so a lackluster finale didn't bother me

The animation and art were nice, though

Nope, never explained. I always questioned if she really didn't remember or if she just wanted to live a normal life like someone else here said.

It was explored at bit more in the Teen Titans Go (not that one ) comic as it gave her backstory of how she came to have these powers and why she was the way she was in the beginning. it also revealed she has a brother (he was the one telling the story to BB).

IIRC in the end they opted to truly leave her alone as she seemed way happier with that life so to them its possibly a mixture of both..

Also i think the theory was that her powers subsided either due to finally controlling it or it went away either due to the memory loss. Plus i remember some fans thinking the whole Trigon resolution might have played a part in her being alive again.

Toa TAK

Banned
Decent enough finale, though I would have preferred an extra episode where Jack actually gets to interact with all his past friends. In general, it was kind of rushed. But that's on the writers since they had plenty of episodes to work with, they just spent a lot of it on developing Jack's romance with Ashi. which I get why they did, because she was the keystone and turning point of the battle against Aku, so she had to be important. But it felt like this should have been a 2 parter special.
Better or worse than Book 4 finale?

Finale definitely had moments....but should've had far more of them and been longer to boot with the way everything played out.

Still a better fate than new Thundercats and the slim few remains of other action shows got over the years by and large on the network...but I really do wonder how long it will be now until something else Captivating like Samurai Jack comes along...?

Showaddy

Bit torn about the finale. Loved most of it but the Ashi wedding thing was dumb as hell and almost ruined it for me. She should have just gone when Aku died then just had the ending as Jack returning to his family and his world.

Felt like a stupid, forced attempt at a bittersweet ending.

Both Aku and Ashi had unjust ends. They just sort of faded away anticlimacticly.

Aku's death in a nutshell:

• Flings Jack to the past
• Jack drops in with Ashi
• Aku goes "What?" and tries to run away
• Dies without a word

Ashi's death:

• "I feel Aku being dead"
• Goes to get married, for which the preparations probably took an enormous amount of time
• "Oh wait, I'm a time paradox" *Pop SFX*

Gorillaz

Better or worse than Book 4 finale?

The endings are almost simliar to the point that both korra and Jack ended with a forced relationship. The Randomness of it brings both down a little. Korra at least had the great close quarter fight ending.

Jack wins mainly due to the ground work from years ago. Aku not getting a proper one on one with Jack ESPECIALLY in the past is the biggest sin here.

Hour long finale would have done wonders. It's whatever tho.

Mr Swine

Banned
Kind of sad that Jack just erased the existence of all these people he saved over the past 50 years.

Saddest part is that he doesn't even care about them in the end. he rescues them from Aku and they return the favor and then they get erased from the timeline and he doesn't even shed a tear or anything. Wish he could at least acknowledge them before going Back to the past, a last bye and a thanks for them helping him make it come true

Saddest part is that he doesn't even care about them in the end. he rescues them from Aku and they return the favor and then they get erased from the timeline and he doesn't even shed a tear or anything. Wish he could at least acknowledge them before going Back to the past, a last bye and a thanks for them helping him make it come true

Worse still, as he had no idea how time travel would change the timeline he left, he basically risked leaving that timeline as Akus forever by leaving without killing him, guaranteeing that no matter what all his allies were either dead due to aku finishing off anyone he hadn't, or they died because he erased the timeline.

Thanks a lot there Jack.

Biske

Worse still, as he had no idea how time travel would change the timeline he left, he basically risked leaving that timeline as Akus forever by leaving without killing him, guaranteeing that no matter what all his allies were either dead due to aku finishing off anyone he hadn't, or they died because he erased the timeline.

Thanks a lot there Jack.

The show has no timeline rules. He seeks a portal to undo the future that is Aku. And he does just that. Doesn't need to care about his friends cause he wiped out the future in which they exist. Which was always his goal.

Feel that the season was quite rushed to fit into 10 episodes. The first 3 episodes were absolutely spectacular, though we've had moments through the season, episodes on a whole never returned to the set heights.

I really enjoyed the ending. JACK GOT BACK TO THE PAST YA'LL.

Also loved hearing Mako again, was fitting :)

I'd have preferred if the only difference Jack killing Aku in the past made was the death of Aku in the future at the point Jack returned to the past. It's messy but most time travel resolutions are. We see the people from the future pick themselves back up to rebuild; Scotsman force ghost fades away. Asshi and Jack get the happy ending.

Though the final shot was SPECTACULAR, beautiful.

On the whole I'm ecstatic we got a conclusion I've wanted for the past 10 years of my life. Closure is good.

The war on Aku was great too.

"FLYING MONKEYS"

"NO, JUMP GOOD"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
cant remember who told me that adult swim wants to do more genndy shows, if 10 episodes is all they can afford then we sure as hell know he can't make it work so hopefully they opt to let him work with someone else lol

They're creating two more seasons of FLCL so they are jumping on continuations to old fan favorites.

Kalnos

Banned
The way Aku died was pretty lame. Would have been awesome if he just sliced the shit out of him until there was nothing left.

It's crazy how effectively Genndy uses 22 minutes. The finale pretty much hit every emotional beat it needed to hit, and the battle itself of everyone vs. Aku was awesome.

I thought Aku's death was fine. I didn't expect some sort of sudden pathos or speech from him at the end because all Jack ever really needed was a time portal and his sword to kill him. It's not like they were evenly matched rivals, just that Jack always came up short either due to bad luck or pure circumstance. Once he had those things at hand, all Jack needed was to get to Aku and it was all done.

On another note, it's pretty weird that Jack never thought about the consequences of going back to the past in those 50 odd years he spent stuck in Aku's future. The people and places he knew for most of his life, including Ashi; just straight up gone.

He should just take the knowledge he got from the future and spearhead an industrial revolution in feudal Japan.

Any individual episodes here people would rate as highly as the stand outs from the OG run?

My OG run standouts being Samurai vs Ninja, The princess and the bounty hunters, all scotsman episodes and the spartan episodes.

I'd rate episode 2 and 3 from this season as highly as the aforementioned episodes.The finale too.

Veelk

Banned
Also, was the timeline itself on Aku's side or something? It waited for the wedding to spring that shit? I mean, Ashi was around for atleast a little while. I'm guessing that they didn't exactly get a shotgun wedding. Jack's mother smiles at Ashi with pride, so I feel they atleast got to know her, which should take a little time.

So despite the future falling apart, she stayed around long enough just to disappear at their happiest possible moment. I'm trying to not give the show too much shit for it's time travel shenanigans, but this one felt especially contrived.

Edit: and really, as long as we're bitching about time shenanigans, then it has got to be said. How can Jack have come back and killed Aku from a future that no longer exists? If Ashi fades away, so should he.

I hope we get an OVA epilogue that ties up loose ends. Or just outright gives Jack/Ashi the happy ending they deserve.

So despite the future falling apart, she stayed around long enough just to disappear at their happiest possible moment. I'm trying to not give the show too much shit for it's time travel shenanigans, but this one felt especially contrived.

It can be hand waved really easily though, the series has confirmed gods and magic are real. Maybe what remained of Aku sustained her until it all burned away. Maybe its like Back to the Future, the more the past diverged, the more her existence faded.

I thought it was pretty good. A sad ending was appropriate in my opinion, considering how in order to stop aku killing his family and everyone he loved, he would have to erase all his friends on the way to get there. Although I agree that there should have been some acknowledgement of that, like jack saying goodbye to the scotsman, or jack and ashi realizing ashi would die but ashi being okay with that or something. But the ladybug scene was great to me. The pacing felt fast as always, they should have really made this an hour to flesh things out. Maybe the scotsman and jack could have interacted more.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The ending would have been better with some rap and opera with Jack and Aku growing to the size of galaxies before duking it out.

Just a thought: maybe the Guardian's time portal's vision of King Jack would have only come true if Jack ultimately used said portal? It probably wasn't anticipating getting destroyed by Aku.

Also, was the timeline itself on Aku's side or something? It waited for the wedding to spring that shit? I mean, Ashi was around for atleast a little while. I'm guessing that they didn't exactly get a shotgun wedding. Jack's mother smiles at Ashi with pride, so I feel they atleast got to know her, which should take a little time.

Edit: and really, as long as we're bitching about time shenanigans, then it has got to be said. How can Jack have come back and killed Aku from a future that no longer exists? If Ashi fades away, so should he.

The reason Jack didn't age for 50 years was because he was apparently unaffected by Aku's time travel powers.

A-V-B

Not bad. Wish they made up their mind how time travel repercussions worked though. Only thing I can figure is the "future" was a simulated universe meant to destroy Jack's will, and ultimately him. He survived because he was a real man emerging from a fake reality. But then how is real Aku so surprised Jack came back immediately? Arghh...

Ultimately happy with the revival because we got eps 1-3. Damn good.

Biske

I feel like you could even see the wedding bit as Jack hallucinating what could have been as he is moping under that tree trying to deal with the loss.

Then the vision breaks when she says "hey, I can't exist any more"

Then he snaps back into reality.

Zubz

Banned
He should just take the knowledge he got from the future and spearhead an industrial revolution in feudal Japan.

So... Korra, but with only Japanese culture & focusing on a slightly earlier era of American history?

Part of me does expect a Korra-esque spin-off due to the enormous popularity this run had, but without the future that is Aku, meaning the only characters of note remaining are Jack, his parents, & the gods, where would we really go? At least Avatar had the integral fact that the Avatar reincarnates, & although Jack had a well-developed world with established characters to build off of, that all just paradoxed away. I cared far more about that entire world than Jack just being unable to marry Ashi, yet the ending focuses on the bittersweetness of that one character disappearing.

Disappointment & confusion aside, it was a decent ending, & I'm satisfied with the mere fact that Samurai Jack got a conclusion at all. I hope that they end it here, though, & leave it as is. An epilogue'd help, but I don't know what they can really do to change it without adding further questions.

Something something Celtic Magic? And/or being unable to stop the musical magic that is Scaramouche?

So... Korra, but with only Japanese culture & focusing on a slightly earlier era of American history?

Part of me does expect a Korra-esque spin-off due to the enormous popularity this run had, but without the future that is Aku, meaning the only characters of note remaining are Jack, his parents, & the gods, where would we really go? At least Avatar had the integral fact that the Avatar reincarnates, & although Jack had a well-developed world with established characters to build off of, that all just paradoxed away. I cared far more about that entire world than Jack just being unable to marry Ashi, yet the ending focuses on the bittersweetness of that one character disappearing.

Disappointment & confusion aside, it was a decent ending, & I'm satisfied with the mere fact that Samurai Jack got a conclusion at all. I hope that they end it here, though, & leave it as is. An epilogue'd help, but I don't know what they can really do to change it without adding further questions.

Something something Celtic Magic? And/or being unable to stop the musical magic that is Scaramouche?

There could be an interquel set during the 50 years Jack didn't have his sword focusing on other characters.

Zubz

Banned
There could be an interquel set during the 50 years Jack didn't have his sword focusing on other characters.

... Oh yeah. I forgot about that. The fact the episode count jumped up enough for several interquel seasons was what sparked the expectation of a spin-off in the first place.

But if I know that part of the story's just going to get wiped out in the last episode anyway, I don't know if I'd be able to bring myself to care. I already know everything between episodes II-CI are for nothing outside of Jack getting an opportunity for an extra swing on Aku & getting melancholic/

BigAl1992

Well, I enjoyed the final season. It was rushed in places, but I enjoyed seeing out the end of Samurai Jack's Adventure.

Also, on a personal note, hearing Aku voiced by Mako one last time in the final episode made me tear up a little, especially when he was listed in the credits. I really wish he could've voiced Aku for this final season.

Just watched it. I thought it was a great finale. Epic, but also hilarious at points in classic Samurai Jack fashion, while somehow having a bittersweet ending.

The scene where Jack's former allies & friend all joining together to help him was superb, plus the ending with Ashi's vanishing, while probably cliche, did make me teary-eyed. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom