• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

I don't see it. S5 hasn't been particularly brutal for all of that, just a bit more realistic.

Killing the Scotsman actually left him better off and was played for comedy.

I saw this and fuck, I hope it isn't accurate.

FtgRPyc.png

he just had transformed her into woodslands pixie waifu. Why would he kill her now, seems fruitless to transform her and then kill her off unless it's in the finale.

Just watched the latest episode. I was a little worried that it was gonna turn into a clip-show episode, but it really become an episode showing Samurai Jack's exploits and how he's managed to change / help others. Great episode! Demongo's appearance was hilarious.

Acrylic7

Patently waiting for the Jack vs Guardian rematch.
Jack is beyond the peak of any man that has ever lived.

20-ish years of training from the very best of almost every tribe and culture there was.
50 years of fighting non stop robots and aliens.
A body stuck in its prime physic
old man wisdom
Jack is ready.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
yep Jack vs The Guardian rematch would probably make me cry.

Hope they bring the same voice actor back to. that voice <3.

They brought in Kevin Michael Richardson to reprise Demongo, so it's more than likely he'll reprise the Guardian (if he shows up)

TheOGB

Banned
For future reference, the only VAs that haven't come back are Mako (for the obvious reason) and David Alan Grier, so we can probably lay those fears to rest.

...and Jeff Bennett, but iirc he never played any recurring/important-past-one-episode characters

Harpoon

They brought the voice actor back already to voice Demongo. And I doubt they got him back just for a 5 second cameo.

Yeah, they also got him back to voice the Woolies and I think one of the guys in the bar.

KMR is one of those VAs who's in a lot, and voiced a bunch of characters in Jack. Him doing voicework for the new season isn't exactly a hint at the Guardian when he voices so many others.

dmshaposv

Guys did Key voice Sam-mooh-rai in the original series episode as well?

I remember Key doing alot of VA before they got big with key and peele...

P.S. Jack vs. the guardian rematch should be hype as fuck. I expect a whole episode dedicated to it.

Tizoc

This episode was brilliant. Loved the callbacks to Jack's past adventures, and see Da Sam-oo-rai again was neat.
Also Scaramouch surviving was hilarious
That guys' head DOES look like a penis.
Poor fella

Xe4

Banned
Guys did Key voice Sam-mooh-rai in the original series episode as well?

I remember Key doing alot of VA before they got big with key and peele...

P.S. Jack vs. the guardian rematch should be hype as fuck. I expect a whole episode dedicated to it.

No, it was David Alan Grier. Didn't know Key did it, that's pretty cool.

Zubz

Banned
They brought in Kevin Michael Richardson to reprise Demongo, so it's more than likely he'll reprise the Guardian (if he shows up)

I never knew he was Demongo! Now I'm thinking they just threw in Demongo because they just had his VA back, & that his cameo meant little.

So long as he voices the Guardian, we should be golden.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Huh, they got the same voice actor but Demongo sounds quite different.

Well you're reprising a character you haven't played in 15 years and only have a couple lines. You can be forgiven if it's not exact.

combine42

Neo Member
http://yaleherald.com/reviews/tv-samurai-jack/

Jack’s first villain, Scaramouche, with his flamboyant dress and mannerisms which include ending every sentence with “babe,” reads as somewhat tone deaf and homophobic. The portrayal of samurai seems to be rooted in a Wikipedia level understanding of the historical figure and feels appropriative at times. While this season introduces the strong, nuanced female character of Ashi, women’s bodies are often depicted as hyper-sexual, a fact made uncomfortably clear by the daughters of the Scotsman in the latest episode. The show has wandered into this territory before, most notably with the character of “Da Samurai” in the fourth season, who was nothing more than a racist caricature.

When you should be studying for finals, but you need to get offended by an adult swim cartoon instead.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

When you should be studying for finals, but you need to get offended by an adult swim cartoon instead.

For a person who is going to Yale this is some grade school level critique.

Samurai Jack is thus flawed in the many ways that most mass entertainment is flawed, and thus deserves the same critical eye. With this in mind, whether the show is still worth experiencing should be left to the discretion of the individual viewer.

I mean this final line is like the most trite and obvious thing you could possibly way to end an article.

Uzumaki Goku

XCIX: The burgeoning relationship between Jack and Ashi takes a turn after they are hunted by one of the galaxy's deadliest creatures.
C: Samurai Jack's worst fear is realized when he faces off against Aku; the demon makes a shocking discovery about Ashi that puts her in grave danger.
CI: The fate of the entire universe hangs in the balance as Samurai Jack faces Aku

NEO0MJ

^You should probably mention what those spoilers are, Uzumaki Goku.

For those curious, they summaries for upcoming episodes.

if i have one complaint about this season it's that i don't think they've shown enough of how evil Aku can be.

We've seen some examples of it, such as the devastated forest, sending assassins to decimate towns, and inviting intergalactic criminals and pointing them to villages. As for why he himself isn't doing much, well, we all know about that. He was just starting to get into the groove of things when attacked by that army but the moment the Scotsman mentioned the Samurai his spirit completely collapsed again.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm not gonna go all "r u offended" or "SJWs lol" on the writer, but HStallion is right. That is definitely some weak-ass critique.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I'm not gonna go all "r u offended" or "SJWs lol" on the writer, but HStallion is right. That is definitely some weak-ass critique.

Bah, it's not entirely wrong, but the thing about most feminist critiques is that they are surprisingly easy which is why they are so prominent in college essays(at least they were at my liberal ass college :p), which I assume that was. There are so many shades of homophobia and sexism prominent in society you can make this argument about pretty much any show.

TheOGB

Banned
Bah, it's not entirely wrong, but the thing about most feminist critiques is that they are surprisingly easy which is why they are so prominent in college essays(at least they were at my liberal ass college :p), which I assume that was. There are so many shades of homophobia and sexism prominent in society you can make this argument about pretty much any show.
Exactly. There is absoutely something to be said about the show and its characters from a feminist point of view (as there is about every other show, like you said) but this particular one seems half-hearted.

Xe4

Banned

Oh, yeah that article...
Shit tries so hard to be progressive that they circle right back around to being regressive.

Like, as it's been said, they have no idea that Scaramouche is a Sammy Davis Jr. impression, or that Jack isn't meant to be an accurate samurai (he's meant to be a samurai in the Akira Kurosawa kind of way), or that Da Samurai is an obvious take on the Blaxploitation genre. They try to get offended at all the perceived wrongs, not realizing that they're attacking impressions of highly influential figures and films in African American and Japanese culture.

The only think they kind of have a point on is how women are shown, and even then as a show, its better than 90% of other media, particularly in animation.
Like, they could have at least googled the characters to see if anyone else thought like they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom