• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a huge Nintendo fan since I was four years old, when my parents brought home a Super Nintendo. It was like 1996-1997, so I was a bit late, but I played so much with those games. Days and nights of pure joy. And then I found the same joy with every other Nintendo systems.

It's like losing someone of your family. Gaming, when you are a kid and especially in difficult times, lend you that hand that nobody gives you and hit that spot when noone understands you. Nintendo games, in particular, have always been that "third parent" for a lot of us. They build your fantasy, they help you thinking things nobody thought before and they assure you that, okay, you're growing up and things are getting strange and hard, but there's always a way to go on, maybe you need a fire flower, or maybe you didn't notice that crack on the wall.

This time, well, it's a game over.
Losing someone that helped you building your own dreams is so freaking painful.

And you know what? I finished EarthBound for my first time ever right some minutes before I knew about Iwata's death. I turned my Wii U off and I was going to Gaf, just for posting my cheerful impressions of the game.

So freaking painful.

RIP, Legend.
Thank you for our playing.

Damn man that's some sad irony. Be happy for the memories he gave you and keep playing. It's what he would want.

Oh man...

CJwkKtyUkAA6WXy.jpg:large

Out of all of the (incredible) tribute images so far, this has hit me the hardest. Nintendo games exist in brightest parts of human imagination - they push the buttons at the epicenter of fun, slide through our brains bringing a trail of creative whimsy in their wake. Seeing a picture of Kirby crying, or Mario with his head bowed still takes me to those vibrant worlds - a sadder continent to be sure, but in those vibrant worlds nonetheless.

This image, though... this is brick and stone. Metal and mortar. This is real. An actual human of finite longevity, of failing flesh and blood, will soon be laid to rest. Another incarnation of the man can't be programmed, another Iwata asks can never be held, and another direct with him will never be filmed.

Iwata's final credits are here, the closing coda on one of the most genuine and beloved characters the game of life ever programmed. Sure, we can replay Iwata's greatest moments, but we'll never get another new level.

So thank you, Satoru Iwata. Thank you for your integrity, thank you for your prowess, and most of all - thank you for leading us through the few bright spots Earth still has to offer. </3
Great post.

Guys can I humbly ask for that ribbon be added to my avatar as well? I'm honestly bummed here and, as maybe you can tell by my avatar, I've always been a Nintendo fan.

RIP Mr. Iwata :(

Wynnebeck

Banned
He wrote it poorly, it made it come off as if he wanted to reiterate how bad of a CEO he thought Iwata was.

A slight change in phrasing woulda made all the difference...

For instance, "I know I've been critical of Mr. Iwata but...." or something. He probably didnt mean anything harsh. Just hit enter a tad fast.

No, his tone was perfectly fine. You can be critical of someone and still have respect for him. Some people are legit feeling disrespected for no reason because it's Pachter saying it.

Seeing these gifs that are less than two years old where he looks vibrant and young is weird now that he's passed all of a sudden ;_;

I mean its not like they were made ten years ago..............

Damn. :(

Iwata-san was so cool, he was probably the only CEO sorta guy I actually enjoyed listening to and reading the interviews etc. :( I actually believed he cared so much about Nintendo and the gamer. The extra effort in things like Iwata Asks showed he really cared about the game and making things fun instead of just money money money.

Thanks for bringing so much fun directly to us. :(

RIP. :(

Kenai

Hit me harder than i thought. I guess childhood heroes can't stay alive forever, but still, sad end for a great guy.

RIP.

TomShoe

Banned
He wrote it poorly, it made it come off as if he wanted to reiterate how bad of a CEO he thought Iwata was.

A slight change in phrasing woulda made all the difference...

For instance, "I know I've been critical of Mr. Iwata but...." or something. He probably didnt mean anything harsh. Just hit enter a tad fast.

I still don't get the hate. Just feels like people jumping down the guy's throat for no reason.

Christian

Yamauchi was there for what felt like an eternity. Even though I knew about his health issues, I really thought Iwata would be, too. It's a tough pill to swallow.

Scrawnton

Yamauchi was there for what felt like an eternity. Even though I knew about his health issues, I really thought Iwata would be, too. It's a tough pill to swallow.
What's even worse is that he didn't even officially retire despite how sick he was. He stayed until the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom