• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grylvak

sorry if this was posted already, Nintendo World Store has a memorial set up:

CJzu7wkUYAEMovt.jpg

CJzu7wnUEAAGthc.jpg

(via https://twitter.com/brawndwarf)

Amazing. Makes me want to fly out there just for this. He will be missed.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I know he isn't exactly loved in these parts due to his radical opinions - some of which are deemed stupid even by his readers -, but even Sean Malstrom wrote a heartfelt post about Iwata's passing that I thought was very touching. Here's the best part:

While others are doing ribbons and other various things, I think it is best to put the spotlight on Iwata’s integrity when it came to gaming. From the business side to developer side, he wasn’t shaped by events but shaped them.

Honestly, I’m so shocked by the news that I cannot summon up words to say things. Anything I imagine I could say would seem so inadequate. It’s all such a damn shame.

When I think of Iwata, I think of class. I have read nearly every word Iwata has said to the public for almost a decade. Never did he say anything disparaging of another, never did he sound pessimistic, and never did he crap on anyone. As gamers, Iwata represented the best things we loved about Nintendo. But as a businessman, he represented the best things about business.

Why does it feel that we lost a friend today?

That last question rings so true to me.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Hopefully the stress of negative feedback from E3 didn't contribute to this.

I'll miss this man. I respect him immensely.

Daknight

Man...I hadn't tear up till this image. This image broke the tears in me for some reason. Is going to be hard hearing about Nintendo now knowing Iwata is gone, his dedication, his insight on games, his interviews and his passion to talk directly to the fans and convey all the news himself via Nintendo Direct will be miss!

Hyoukokun

Well, although I doubt it WOULD have happened with Yamauchi, you do have to admit that these channels didn't exist at all back when Yamauchi was president. Social media wasn't even a thing back then.

Oh, absolutely - Nintendo and their competitors were largely beholden to print media and the occasional early website to get the word out back then. I can think of some plausible mechanisms toward the very end of his tenure (CDs with video, etc.) but for the most part the infrastructure just wasn't there.

I think that an Iwata Asks-esque feature could have plausibly run in Nintendo Power or similar, but from what I know of him Yamauchi himself would not have run the interviews himself. My recollection is that he didn't play or enjoy games much himself, though I'm having a hard time finding an explicit citation for that.

Sky Chief

I can't believe it. I haven't been a big Nintendo fan for a long time but it was basically impossible not to like Iwata.

He always seemed to have such a thoughtful and jovial outlook on things. He always conducted himself with such class and humor and clearly had great respect for others as can be seen in his Iwata Asks. A truly charming guy and a class act, the very definition of a gentleman. RIP ;_;

Adamator

Really saddened and surprised by this news. I, like others, never even know how sick he was. I knew he had some surgeries in the last year but had no clue any of that was life-threatening.

Iwata-san represents the era of Nintendo that has probably been my favorite. I can't imagine my gaming life without Nintendo. In the recent years, he was always the face of Nintendo to me. I loved his charm on the Nintendo Directs.

The out pouring of love for him has been wonderful I have to say. This has affected me more than I would of thought.

He will be so very missed.

Beatrix

RIP. Nintendo games will always be #1 in my heart. I'm actually getting teary eyed. It's such a strange feeling. It's nice to know that others feel the same way as I do.

Taigerr

I am not a fan of celebrity and members of the general public that actually breakdown at the passing of one baffle me cos they didn't know the person..... however now I think I understand a little of the pain... I am an occasional gamer but everytime I saw Iwata on Direct I could not help but feel that the guy loved games, was humble, sincere and someone who wore the spirit of gaming and community all the time and where ever he was.
What got me was his ethos at Nintendo based on what I researched today. He cared about the fans, the games and respected and loved his staff.
Just last Nov I went from Sony (PS2, PS3 and PSVITA) to WIIU and N3DS and can truly say that Nintendo is just different.... FUN.... gaming became fun again.
Thanks Iwata.... I didn't know you personally but thanks for allowing me to enjoy gaming again.
RIP

Lunar15

Oh, absolutely - Nintendo and their competitors were largely beholden to print media and the occasional early website to get the word out back then. I can think of some plausible mechanisms toward the very end of his tenure (CDs with video, etc.) but for the most part the infrastructure just wasn't there.

I think that an Iwata Asks-esque feature could have plausibly run in Nintendo Power or similar, but from what I know of him Yamauchi himself would not have run the interviews himself. My recollection is that he didn't play or enjoy games much himself, though I'm having a hard time finding an explicit citation for that.

Yeah, I don't have the citation, but he never really considered himself a gamer. I definitely think he cared about quality though... almost too much in some situations. There's some choice quotes from him on the nature of games and entertainment, I just don't have the time to look them up. From what I've read about his relationship wtih Iwata, I think he deeply respected developers and engineers.

HUELEN10

I really wish I was in New York right now.

If you're not in New York, start your own memorial at the place your local Nintendo or gaming community calls home. Many places are sending the things to Nintendo. People will come to pay their respects.

I was driving when this happened, woke up and this is still messing with me. RIP Iwata-san. I didn't always like Nintendos choices but Iwata was always a very sincere guy. He was so young.

He was the president of one of the most important developers in gaming, yet he still had the time to have his "Iwata Asks" and "Nintendo Directs" for us... for gamers. For fans who want something more than just the game. Who wanted to be involved in the production of their favorite series or just to know more content for upcoming games.

Thank you is not enough Mr. Iwata. But is all I have.
My deepest thanks!

Dragoshi1

Found out last night while closing for the day at work, and all kinds of emotions surfaced.

I can honestly say, I have NEVER cried or mourned for a game developer, president, or whatever else, but for Iwata, the tears poured out, I was an absolute mess, my co-workers didn't understand why I cared that much "about some Japanese guy", but damn it, I've been following his Iwata Asks, the Directs, and his games for a good long while.

Knowing he's gone is a huge punch in the gut, I'll miss his honesty, his understanding, and his quirky humor.

Hindl

Half day later and it still hurts. The fan art has been wonderful and everyone else has said everything I would, only much more eloquently. So I just want to thank Iwata for practically saving gaming for me. Around 2012 I was starting to get bored with games on the Xbox, and was mostly playing PC games and indies that were fun, but I was becoming disinterested in them. After spending several years away from them, I picked up a 3DS and Wii U and the fun and joy I found in the games for those systems gave me that same love I had when I was a child. That's not to say that other companies haven't made absolutely fantastic games, but Iwata always wanted games to be fun at their core. So thank you Iwata for giving us the opportunity to play your game, you are dearly missed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom