• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Miyamoto:
“I am surprised at this sudden news and overcome with sadness,” Mr. Miyamoto said in a statement issued through the company on Monday. He said he would maintain the game-development stance that he and Mr. Iwata established and work with developers to create the kind of future successes that the late president would have wanted.

I'm thinking about updating OP with condolences and messages from other people in the industry, if you see any, post them and I'll stick them in the OP. We should celebrate his life and what he achieved.

RiamuBME

わたしはさとるいわたがだいすきです

:'(

Erevador

This is the deepest feeling of loss I can remember experiencing about someone in gaming.

The industry is so young that we aren't used to losing our icons. It hasn't happened much yet.

This is an inexpressibly huge loss.

Lutherian

OjDc7Mk.png
uMBgzh6.png
n5Psa4c.png
5wERmqJ.png
lSR7U5X.png
RlWCU0D.png
ynKtYsI.png
73tnyGc.png

I'm biased towards Super Mario Font ribbon, I hope you like it.

Thanks.

cbq

Wow, this is shocking. Wasn't he getting better?
My condolences to family and friends.
He was such a cool guy. Nintendo Directs won't ever be the same.

Rest in Peace Iwata-san.

Frodo

It is still hard to believe.

To think that much of my gaming life would be completely different if it wasn't for Iwata. My deepest condolences to the family and close friends.

R.I.P. Iwata.

I'm biased towards Super Mario Font ribbon, I hope you like it.

Thank you so much!

Thinking about the last year, it must have been really tough for Iwata. Battling both with his disease, the backlash from Nintendo fans around the world regarding the failure of the WiiU and generally dealing with the dire situation of the WiiU and the 3DS. I can only hope that he didn't pass away feeling that he has let down Nintendo fans or the company, because I think this is untrue. Not even mentioning his enormous contributions to many beloved video game franchises, he brought so much pure joy with this Direct presentations, Iwata ask sections and in general with his likable, approachable nature as Nintendo's global president.
Thinking that he passed away in such a bad time makes me extra sad :'-(
But to be clear: in my book he could only be more than proud about everything that he has achieved, most importantly brining joy to people around the world. Just as he did when he first programmed the base ball game for his calculator :(

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I really hope, when the next Direct hits, there will be a minute of silence in his honour.

mogor

Really sad to see him pass so early, always seemed like one of the most sincere and invested people around. Although way different, reminds me of Ryan Davis' passing...

Blues1990

He was a great man, and a fine example to other CEO's should aspire to be, in terms of personality and being committed to his job. Say what you will about his business decisions, but he really did care about his career and the well being of others, & I'm sure he enjoyed every bit of his work.

Instead of being sad, let's be grateful for what he has done.

Kule

Woke up to this news and can't believe it. He was the ceo for a company which gave me great memories playing games with friends and family. Rip Iwata.

Saw this mentioned on one of the tribute tweets, but I'd love a hardback publication of all the "Iwata Asks". Once again something another CEO probably wouldn't do, take a time out of his hectic schedule to give us interesting info on games we loved.

bigol

Miyamoto:

I'm thinking about updating OP with condolences and messages from other people in the industry, if you see any, post them and I'll stick them in the OP. We should celebrate his life and what he achieved.

Tak Fuji

Satoru Iwata was the one who led Japanese game industry to the world and had great passion for games. RIP.
Life time is limited no matter who you are. We don't last forever but what we've done won't go away and will stays someone's heart.

https://twitter.com/Tak_Fujii/status/620393093737480192
https://twitter.com/Tak_Fujii/status/620396335695433728

Roo

R.I.P

In shock, so sudden as well, i know he had medical issues last year, but thought he was on the road to recovery.
He was. His surgery went pretty well according to his own words
Someone here quoted a text about his condition.
It seems like bile duct tumors are no joke.
Really low survival rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom