• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
orFDm5E.png

x3gcU7K.png

FzmSCWf.png

Could I have a ribbon added to my avatar plz

RPGCrazied

Its like the father of gaming died yesterday, or at least a grand parent of it. I've been gaming since the mid 80's, so I grew up with Nintendo.

LoveCake

An amiibo would be a really weird way to pay tribute to Mr. Iwata, I think. I'm surprised to see demand for it. I would love to see a statue at Nintendo's amusement park sector if space allows, though.

I know i posted about a Iwata amiibo & yes maybe it is a little weird, but it's a physical representation of Iwata, but it can also continue to add to peoples gaming by the additional features is would enable.

I have mentioned about if it would be possible for GAF to set up a fund to allow people to donate for something to remember Iwata by.

Chuckpebble

Found out about this on twitter last night. I couldn't even get current on my time line. Got something in my eye.
I let the news sink in overnight and felt like I came to terms with it. Read the bit by Itoi on the first post and darnit if there wasn't something stuck in my eye again. Wish there were more people like him running companies out there. My own especially.

jts

...hate me...
It's been almost 24 hours and it's finally now sinking in. I'm almost past the shock.

I do wish I'd see more tributes all around and in a timely fashion. But it's good to see the the undeniable respect the industry had for him.

This was the first day of a poorer world to me.

Reading all the great things all his coworkers and other devs say about him and seeing all the art that's been made is really bittersweet.

I really loved his sense of humor and that you could always feel his passion for video games. I always looked forward to Directs partly because of him and Iwata Asks are, in my opinion, some of the best resources for aspiring designers. His insights as developer/businessman were incredible.

Thank you for everything :( nothing will be the same but your legacy will never be forgotten.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I know i posted about a Iwata amiibo & yes maybe it is a little weird, but it's a physical representation of Iwata, but it can also continue to add to peoples gaming by the additional features is would enable.

I have mentioned about if it would be possible for GAF to set up a fund to allow people to donate for something to remember Iwata by.

Nintendo will, if anything, do something like naming a building or working group after him. This is a tried and true way to immortalize key figures in a company who have retired or passed on.

The Satoru Iwata Research and Development Center, or what have you. This kind of thing is way better than something fleeting like an amiibo.

Tyrael

As a rememberance of a true gamer, game developer and programer, that's one of my favorite excerpts from the Iwata Asks:

Iwata
I'm going to ask you all about what happened after you were thrown into the Super Mario series in a moment. But casting my mind back, I believe I met you just prior to that.

Nakago
That's right. What sticks in my mind in particular is the guidance you gave me at the time of Balloon Fight.

Iwata
Ah yes. At that time, there was an arcade circuit board called the Nintendo Vs. System that used the same chipset as the Famicom.

Nakago
The Vs. System! That really takes me back! (laughs)
11 Balloon Fight was an action game released in the arcades in 1984. It appeared on the Famicom in January 1985. 12 The Nintendo Vs. System was a circuit board for arcade machines that was developed to be compatible with the Famicom. A large number of titles, including Balloon Fight and Excitebike, were released in both Famicom and arcade versions.

Iwata
There were a lot of games that were developed both for the arcade and the Famicom. HAL Laboratory worked on the home console version of Balloon Fight while SRD…

Nakago
We worked on the arcade version. Then after we'd completed it, we wondered why the player's movements were smoother on the home version developed by HAL and asked Iwata-san for some advice.

Iwata
That's when I told Nakago-san everything I knew. One thing I recommended was that instead of calculating the character's position using integers, they should also calculate it using decimal points, thereby doubling the precision. In this way, calculating gravity, buoyancy, acceleration and deceleration all become more precise and the movements look smoother. That's the kind of thing I explained at the time.

Nakago
When Iwata-san explained all this to me, the scales fell from my eyes! (laughs) But I remember Miyamoto-san complaining: "Why do you have to go to another company to find this stuff out?" (laughs)

Iwata
I was actually really pleased to be asked.

Nakago
Is that right? (laughs)

Iwata
Well, I hoped it would prove useful, and I believe that it did when you came to work on Super Mario Bros.

Nakago
Yes, it proved incredibly useful. The reason why Mario moves so smoothly in the underwater stages is thanks to the guidance I was given by you.

Iwata
At that point, I had been involved in the development of a whole variety of software while working at HAL Laboratory, but I'd always thought: "It's only the main Mario series that I've had nothing to do with." But it turns out that because of what I told Nakago-san all those years ago, I was actually indirectly involved in a Mario title. When I found that out, I was rather pleased! (laughs)

Nakago
(laughs)

Iwata
Out of interest, how old were you when we first met in 1984?

Nakago
At that time, I'd have been about twenty-six. Miyamoto-san is five years older than me, so he'd have been thirty-one.

Iwata
I was twenty-four at the time. How about you, Tezuka-san?

Tezuka
Well, I was the new boy, aged twenty-three.

Iwata
We were so young, weren't we? (laughs)

All
(laughter)

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/nsmb/1/0

I will miss these interviews so much...

l4ayg7nrr8m3afkwdrde.jpg

Look how aged and sick he was few weeks ago, and still working. He knew his death was close, but instead of being at home, he decided to do what he loves the most: work!!!

Bedlam

Thanks for all the fun and RIP, Mr. Iwata!

That's all I can say really. I need to play some Kirby or Captain Toad on my WiiU now... ;(

Rich!

Still can't believe it.

I think what makes it harder is that Nintendo is like a family, especially to someone who has grown up on Nintendo like myself.

Miyamoto is the beloved grandfather. Iwata the father, Reggie the weird and slightly odd uncle, Bill Trinen the dude next door who doesnt quite fit in but somehow does...

There's an odd gap now.

Rich!

l4ayg7nrr8m3afkwdrde.jpg

Look how aged and sick he was few weeks ago, and still working. He knew his death was close, but instead of being at home, he decided to do what he loves the most: work!!!

Jesus fuck, I scrolled up quickly and thought this was a photo of Yamauchi. Had to double check.

Fuuuuuck cancer

RichardKSJ

I'm still crying, I thought I could except it after sleeping, but no. Here I am still crying.

It's going to take me a while. I always looked up to him and wished I could have the same passion and resolve as him for what I do.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Damn. I'm always impressed by the love talent and dedication of the Nintendo fanbase

Same, I kinda wish that I could do the same but alas I lack that talent. So instead I have just been spreading the work around on my twitter page.

l4ayg7nrr8m3afkwdrde.jpg

Man I can't imagine the level of pain he must of endured. I hoped that he at least spend some of his final moment with his family.

Still having trouble thinking of anything else.

I wore my 80's collectible Mario pin for the first time today. I've had them for a while but only displayed them with my game collection until today. The man was the reason for so much enjoyment in my life. I'm deeply saddened still and never imagined I would be this upset.

test_account

XP-39C²
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/l4ayg7nrr8m3afkwdrde.jpg

Under the circumstances, i hope this is the case. I was thinking earlier if maybe work made him more sick because of the extra stress to the body. Hopefully work didnt make him any more sick :( Hopefully it made him do what he enjoyed the most instead without affecting his illness at all.

Ditto. Work has just been...blah.

Luckily work has been insanely busy so I haven't spent much time on GAF. Looking forward to going home and playing some Balloon Fight.

Last night I told my wife something to the effect of, "the president of Nintendo just died and it might sound silly but I'm really sad about it" practically with tears in my eyes. I think David Foster Wallace was the last "celebrity" dead that affected me this strongly.

Also, my wife completely understood.

Sadist

Wonder which game will be the last to feature Iwata as excutive producer...

Agghhh I'll play some Captain Toad to cheer me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom