• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live - Season 38 - Saturdays 11:30PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Jason Sudeikis officially confirmed in his Late Show interview today/tonight that he's done — he won't be back in the fall. Not a big surprise, but in addition to Armisen and Hader being gone as well, damn. Not sure how long Meyers will be sticking around either.
Yeah with all these people gone I don't know if I can watch it anymore.

BRING BACK KRISTIN WIIG

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I enjoy those AT&T commercials with that one guy.

Why can I look at these guys' faces and just know that they're not the same breed of comic as Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Steve Martin, etc.? I mean, I shouldn't be able to, right? A face is just a face. But somehow, I just know.

edit: I'm not talking about quality. I have no idea who any of these people are. I'm just talking about the style of comedy.

Why can I look at these guys' faces and just know that they're not the same breed of comic as Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Steve Martin, etc.? I mean, I shouldn't be able to, right? A face is just a face. But somehow, I just know.

edit: I'm not talking about quality. I have no idea who any of these people are. I'm just talking about the style of comedy.

Yeah, comedy's mad changed now, it's true.

big ander

Kyle Mooney!!!! the fuck!! Oh my god his man on the street segments on Saturday Fucking Night Live would by hysterical and confuse so many people. I can't wait

course it's different. That sentiment, that "wow what we seem to find funny now is so much different from 25 years ago" was also expressed when Murray, Akroyd, and Martin were getting big. Comedy needs to morph, just like every art.

Kyle Mooney!!!! the fuck!! Oh my god his man on the street segments on Saturday Fucking Night Live would by hysterical and confuse so many people. I can't wait

course it's different. That sentiment, that "wow what we seem to find funny now is so much different from 25 years ago" was also expressed when Murray, Akroyd, and Martin were getting big. Comedy needs to morph, just like every art.
I agree. The thing is many of today's young comedians are so much alike. They all have this aloof, self-aware quality that is bothersome and turns me off from the joke.

To take a classic skit as an example:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4262

The reason it works is that both actors play their roles completely straight. Today the dudes will be all mugging at the camera and practically winking at the audience.

Salmonax

I agree. The thing is many of today's young comedians are so much alike. They all have this aloof, self-aware quality that is bothersome and turns me off from the joke.

The reason it works is that both actors play their roles completely straight. Today the dudes will be all mugging at the camera and practically winking at the audience.

I feel like Jimmy Fallon has a lot to do with ushering in this era. I like him in late night but I thought he was poison on SNL aside from the occasional solid impression. He almost ruined the cowbell sketch with his tendency to rely on laughing in every scene to get cheap laughs.

Kyle Mooney/Beck Bennett are awesome picks. Not really familiar with the other two.

Michael Patrick O'Brien's joining as a featured player too.

I hope these guys bring some of their weird, dumb shit to SNL. The last sketch of the show where they'll throw out whatever and see if it works would be perfect.

gabbo

I feel like Jimmy Fallon has a lot to do with ushering in this era. I like him in late night but I thought he was poison on SNL aside from the occasional solid impression. He almost ruined the cowbell sketch with his tendency to rely on laughing in every scene to get cheap laughs.

Bill Murray gave him a huge push when he first started on the show.

big ander

Yay! More Caucasian cast members! For a show broadcast from New York City, SNL is awfully monochromatic.

I'm sure they unfairly turned down some funny middle eastern peeps to whitebread it up. Sickening.

Improv has always been a white man's club. females and minorities have had to be extra special to get accepted. Fortunately that's changing, but the old guard still lingers a bit

I agree w/all this, but I do think comedy is one arena of entertainment where progress is being made a lot faster which is good. representation of poc and women is definitely still not where I'd like to see it but it's taking good steps. there are people like Kumail Nanjiani, who's freakin adored and justifiably so, I hope he gets even bigger. dude's hilarious.
And I actually feel like snl tries to have a good balance of women and poc, though they don't always succeed at that. not counting the probable new adds, it's 5/11 women. only 3/11 poc which does indeed stink.
none of this is to say that the whitebread cast shouldn't be disappointing a bit.

To take a classic skit as an example:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4262

I've watched a lot of GoodNeighbor videos on YouTube, and I don't think that should be a concern for Kyle or Beck. They are phenomenal at staying in character and playing it straight when they want to.

Imo they're pretty unique, especially Kyle with his range of characters. Super curious to see how it translates to SNL.

After Robinson and Bryant being casted last season and watching some Youtube clips of the rumoured additions I don't have much confidence into this years "draft". Too much people the show relied on left too fast. I fear this season will be a rollercoaster downward without any miracles or more new faces to test and more importanly people who can fill the void.

AkuMifune

Banned
I understand all that, but it's not the united colors of benetton.

Besides, the amount of turnaround they'll probably have this year I'm sure we'll get the chance to have one of everything so everyone can feel all warm they're represented properly.

Bgamer90

Banned
I understand all that, but it's not the united colors of benetton.

Besides, the amount of turnaround they'll probably have this year I'm sure we'll get the chance to have one of everything so everyone can feel all warm they're represented properly.

It's simply amazing how sketch comedy shows from 15+ years ago had more diverse casts than what SNL will have in 2014.

It's simply amazing how sketch comedy shows from 15+ years ago had more diverse casts than what SNL will have in 2014.

Is this really an issue? I believe the cast has been selected by NBC with a big transition in mind and not to under represent certain ethnic groups on purpose.

kingocfs

NYT article on all of the changes. Looks like Cecily is taking over Weekend Update when Seth bails, and Tim Robinson is moving to the writing staff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/business/media/saturday-night-live-setting-its-new-cast.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Mr. Michaels said his general plan was to have Ms. Strong share the “Update” desk with Mr. Meyers for the season’s initial shows and then segue into a solo role later, maybe in the first season — but maybe not. If possible, Mr. Michaels would like to see Mr. Meyers stay on “Weekend Update” even after he moves to “Late Night,” starting on Feb. 24.

“Seth is a unique case,” Mr. Michaels said, noting that the new late-night show would not have a Friday edition, letting Mr. Meyers potentially drop in and work that day and Saturday on “Update.”

Having Mr. Meyers around, at least initially, would bring more stability in a changeover season. That was also the motivation behind inviting Ms. Fey to be the guest host for the season premiere, Mr. Michaels said. “Also, her writing won’t hurt.” (Mr. Meyers has also been the head writer; for the new season, Colin Jost and Rob Klein will share that duty.)

Mr. Michaels settled on the final addition to the cast last week: Brooks Wheelan, a young stand-up comedian who has been working in Los Angeles. The names of the other new cast members have been circulating for several weeks, and NBC will make them official on Monday. Probably the most recognizable of the group is Beck Bennett, who is seen in the ubiquitous AT&T commercials with gaggles of kids. A performing partner of his, Kyle Mooney, is also an addition. The others are John Milhiser and the only new woman in the cast, Noël Wells.

kulapik

Oh, come on, of all the people they could put, they choose Cecily? We are gonna miss you, Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation With at a Party :(

JCX

Oh, come on, of all the people they could put, they choose Cecily? We are gonna miss you, Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation With at a Party :(

I've been looking forward to hearing what she thought about recent news about Syria. Maybe they'll try to spin her off into her own sketch.

kingocfs

Why are they demoting Tim? That guy seemed like one of the funnier weirder break out guys last season

Agreed, I thought he was good. They're moving over a dude from the writing staff who has been with the show for a while so it was probably just a seniority thing, but who knows.

xaosslug

Why are they demoting Tim? That guy seemed like one of the funnier weirder break out guys last season

what? no. He wasn't that great (all the n00bs have been terrible), was barely even on the show, and instead of letting him go SNL is bringing him on as a writer... I'd say that's pretty good.

xaosslug

I'm pretty excited for a transition year. I love seeing new faces and stars slowly being molded.

yeah, SNL usually has highs for a bunch of seasons, and the lows for a bunch of seasons. I'm hoping this is the beginning of an upswing... hiring that guy from the AT&T commercials is a great get, imo.

gabbo

yeah, SNL usually has highs for a bunch of seasons, and the lows for a bunch of seasons. I'm hoping this is the beginning of an upswing... hiring that guy from the AT&T commercials is a great get, imo.

They've been in an upswing for a while now, IMO. this season could go either way.

xaosslug

They've been in an upswing for a while now, IMO. this season could go either way.

what? SNL was barely watchable (tho, it had it's moments) after Tina Fey left, but at least they had Amy Poehler and Kristen Wiig, and some others. But then they all left (Jason Sudeikis is awful) and this new crop came in and it's just been dire. I only watch out of habit, these days. Not because I'm 'looking forward' to SNL like I used to.

also, are we never gonna have another Ellen Cleghorne? I mean really.

SupaNaab

what? SNL was barely watchable (tho, it had it's moments) after Tina Fey left, but at least they had Amy Poehler and Kristen Wiig, and some others. But then they all left (Jason Sudeikis is awful) and this new crop came in and it's just been dire. I only watch out of habit, these days. Not because I'm 'looking forward' to SNL like I used to.

also, are we never gonna have another Ellen Cleghorne? I mean really.

Here's proof of the upswing (it's according to IMDB ratings)

JesseZao

So I watched a bit of the episode last night. It's just getting worse. They'll need half a season to find their groove and they lose Seth pretty soon. Arcade Fire was good and Moynihan was funny as usual, but pretty weak opener overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom