• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAURIAN - An Open World Dinosaur Survival Experience (Kickstarter)

This is from a friend of mine.

My first several minutes of Saurian post-update as a Dakotaraptor, told in story format.

I opened my eyes to a brand new world, snout tingling with anticipation. The first thing I noticed were my two parents and several siblings, all orders of size greater than mine. I had the feeling that with all this new world's noises and sounds, it would be safe to stick with them.

The family paced together for a stretch, with my thirst increasing, and likely the same for my parents, where by a stroke of luck we came upon a brook. The water was fresh and I lapped it up eagerly before returning to my parents side. I spotted a small bug and snapped at it, but it moved too quickly for my jaws. Then I paused as I heard a hoot and something that made my parents hiss. A pair of Pachycephalosaurus also coming upon the river.

They hooted at my parents loudly, then charged suddenly. My mother got the first brunt, their domed head caving her chest in and killing her before her body splashed into the water. Father circled around one and clamped his jaws on its tail to grab its attention. The annoyed Pachycephalosaurus wheeled around and got bitten on the neck for its trouble. Father looked like he would successfully bite when the second Pachycephalosaurus caught up with its comrade and struck father in the sides. As he fell the two herbivores ganged up on him and beat him to death. Then they turned their attention to me, and then I ran. Ran far away as the sun began to set.

It was terrifyingly dark, my head turning at the slightest sound, a cracked branch, even the croaking of Anura. I couldn't stop running because each sound could mean danger. Eventually i tired and had to rest, then hunger took me, forcing me from my stupor. But it was too dark to see anything, so instinct forced me to rely on something. There, towards a thicket of trees. I had been running around with no sense of direction that when I eventually found the source of my scent I realized i was exactly at the brook where both my parents bodies lay. There was nothing else to eat, and it was too dark to see or catch anything, and at my size, I might as well be food. So I gorged myself on their bodies, and walked into a bush and fell asleep.

Morning brought its own new challenges, I woke up to the scent of one of my siblings, as I was about to call to him I noticed he was charging at me. Concerned I stepped to the side as his jaws clamped down on the space I once occupied. Then it immediately clicked, I wasn't a sibling, I was food, he probably had less success than I did, and he was bigger. So again I ran, but this time I had a bit of an idea. My nose had picked up the same pair of Pachycephalosaurus up ahead. As he kept chasing I ran near one of them and turned in the other direction. My former sibling got their attention as he approached and they chased him off.

Feeling relieved I noted that my throat felt parched and I headed back down to the brook to get something to drink. I was so thirsty and tired that I was content, and when I went for a final drink, I was unable to react in time as a Champosaurus burst from the water and bit down into my neck, killing me and making me its meal.

All in all this was a good first start to the game for a harsh Cretaceous life. I look forward to when the other playable dinosaurs get added.

Top Bottom