• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save Sony!

Their punishment for attempting to make gamers pay an extra $100 so they could be used as pawns in Sony's campaign to win the format war is not yet complete.

When PS3 sales slow to late gen GameCube levels, the punishment will be complete.

(Please note this punishment does not include Bravias and Vaios because I'm not giving those up.)

Fizzle

TheGreatDave said:
Dude, it's called Home.

This is actually true.

I also have this notion that Phil pissed of the guys at Team Bondi because they're using their tech and becoming famous for it. Even though it was still in the PS2 days, Phil fucked off to Atari and now they wanna go back to SCEE seeing as they only went to SCEA just to stay away from the baldy.

Good thing Timesplitters 4 will be revealed officially in January.

im still searching for quotes where sony uses the word 'promise'. :p

no but seriously. the unsteady game lineup is where it needs to be now, so all we really need at this point is to hit $299 and to keep punching out firmware updates that reflect our feedback. PSN seems well-taken care of. PS3 games are churning out at a steady pace now and we're getting some solid PS3 versions of multiplats with the exception of some horrible flukes. (looking at you, fallout 3)

just make the CONSOLE ITSELF affordable so people can actually access these games. i shelled out $600 for my 60gb long ago, and im just now seeing friends of mine buy PS3's specifically for games that are coming out. imagine how much more we would see that if it was cheaper. the games are compelling, but you gotta actually press on the gas to get over speed bumps. letting your car roll idle isn't going to get you far. /obligatory analogy

RobertM

sp0rsk said:
I'd buy one of those. My PS2 is pretty borked.

Just put an HDD on it so I can "legally" install my ps2 games, then I'd be down, especially if developers started to make games for it again. Also get rid of the regional shit.
You can legally install your PS2 games.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
AFreak said:
But it did reach it because it's an amazing fucking game.

I must have missed Sony's press release where LittleBigPlanet sold multiple millions and made the PS3 the must-have item this Christmas. Care to send me a url?

Link

The Autumn Wind
AFreak said:
But it did reach it because it's an amazing fucking game.
I think he means reaching the level of "system-seller" status that everyone bestowed upon it prior to its release.

Ploid 3.0

Jonnyram said:
It seems SCE is having difficulty running their massively popular PlayStation brand. Let's give them some ideas to regain some of the power they had for the vast part of this millennium.

My idea: New PS2 model
It would be relatively high end - sleek design, internal HDD, possibly an upscaler, range of video output options, wireless controllers.
Expand PSN to sell PS2 games; stick PSN on new PS2. New PS2 can download and run PS1 and PS2 titles, also movies and music (natch).
To avoid redundancy, use most of same tech used in current PS3 (controller, memory card emulation on HDD, PSN store).
Reinstate a PS3 with PS2 b/c so that PS2 games on PSN can also be available to PS3 owners.
Profit.

Price range: $200-$250
Put it in direct competition with the Wii, bundle in some SCE classics, preinstalled on the HDD to make it appealing.

Thats not a good idea. The ps2 is already selling, and this would take focuse off of ps2, and ps3. You guys make jokes on how different hdd sizes split the confuse people, but this would do it for sure.

Jonnyram said:
It seems SCE is having difficulty running their massively popular PlayStation brand. Let's give them some ideas to regain some of the power they had for the vast part of this millennium.

My idea: New PS2 model
It would be relatively high end - sleek design, internal HDD, possibly an upscaler, range of video output options, wireless controllers.
Expand PSN to sell PS2 games; stick PSN on new PS2. New PS2 can download and run PS1 and PS2 titles, also movies and music (natch).
To avoid redundancy, use most of same tech used in current PS3 (controller, memory card emulation on HDD, PSN store).
Reinstate a PS3 with PS2 b/c so that PS2 games on PSN can also be available to PS3 owners.
Profit.

Price range: $200-$250
Put it in direct competition with the Wii, bundle in some SCE classics, preinstalled on the HDD to make it appealing.

YES! Let's increase the price of the PS2 because doing that with the PS3 worked oh so well!

Wait..

Nif

I don't know if they need "saving" per-se, but if I were Sony, I'd think of a way of making my own Wii. Put the PS3 guts into a box with a DVD drive (assuming it would lower the price considerably) and add a motion controller with some packed in software. They could make the new games and controller work with PS3.

A Wii with better graphics, I guess. :p

soco

i like the idea of a new PS2 with at least an upscaler. that'd somewhat make up for the lack of the BV in new PS3s, and i'm sure they could make money offa that. i'd buy a new one!

Chemo

SIP YEK NOD said:
Release Gran Turismo 5 and Gran Turismo mobile yesterday.

second and fifth best selling games last generation, there is no real current gen version, there is no mobile version period. What the fuck.
This is the smart shit, right here. Gran Turismo 5 is a bigger deal than MGS4 was or FFXIII would have been if it remained exclusive. Of course, they got greedy and fucked with its impact a little by releasing Prologue, but really, Gran Turismo is their flagship title and is going to move the shit out of some consoles... if it ever comes out.

Finish this game already.

Aaron

Since the US car industry is going down the shitter and the price of the PS3 can't be dropped, Sony should buy up all the Chevys and Fords real cheap, and offer a free car with every PS3. Sure, it'll be a crap car, but Americans at least love free crap.

KingJ2002

they need a combination of these three things to be saved:

1. price drop (first and foremost... this must be done)
2. a franchise that has the same impact as grand theft auto 3's debut on ps3
3. an online presence that is greater than xbox live

without these... they will stay in third.

industrian

Aaron said:
Since the US car industry is going down the shitter and the price of the PS3 can't be dropped, Sony should buy up all the Chevys and Fords real cheap, and offer a free car with every PS3. Sure, it'll be a crap car, but Americans at least love free crap.

You just opened the floodgates to a million Xzbit photoshops.

Gaborn

What they NEED to do now is give people a reason to switch to the PS3. To do that I propose this: Kill the PS2, totally, no more PS2 hardware. Instead, offer PS3s with full hardware BC and cut the price of the PS3 by $100. Messy in the short term, long term it would speed the adoption rate of the new hardware.

Tiktaalik

A rerelease of the PS2 with a new form factor, downloadable games, a new name, and a more casual focus sounds like a pretty great idea to me. There are tons of catalog games that you can't really get any more that I'd love to check out on PSN. Porting over some PSP classics would be a great idea too.

As well there's the constant suggestion of making some sort of wiilike casual friendly controller...

GremlinInTheMachine said:
Their punishment for attempting to make gamers pay an extra $100 so they could be used as pawns in Sony's campaign to win the format war is not yet complete.

When PS3 sales slow to late gen GameCube levels, the punishment will be complete.

(Please note this punishment does not include Bravias and Vaios because I'm not giving those up.)

Someone has a grudge. Console warz, eh?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, here's some of my thoughts.

- Drop the me-too bullshit games. Let 3rd parties handle the FPS and flavor of the month games. Focus on fun, unique and interesting software for every group of gamer. Like you used to.

- Get your Japanese 1st party software makers (do you have any anymore?) up off of their ass and get them making games. Get your Euro devs going too.

- Start setting up PSN as the Steam of the console world. Get publishers to sell retail games, day and date, on PSN at a $10 discount. Get people used to looking at PSN first for their gaming pick ups.

- Speaking of discounts, bring back 1st party game discounts. Sell your games for $49.99 or even $39.99 to turn people's heads. This worked for the PS2, it'll work again.

- Lock up your worldwide studio heads in a room with some weapons and have them beat the shit out of each other so every branch can be unified and on the same page, worldwide. Stop segmenting markets.

- More PS1 and PS2 games on PSN! We know you're working on PS2 emulation, but it's time to put a rush on that shit. In the meantime GET PS1 GAMES OUT IN EUROPE AND USA YOU SHITS! You're pissing away easy ass money! WTF is the hold up?!

- Extend your hands out to the little developers. HD development is expensive. Ok, we get that. So let them make and publish what they want on PSN! Do they have 480p projects they want to put on your network? LET THEM! Then help them publish these games worldwide. What an easy way to boost your RPG portfolio right there. You then create more business for publishers to translate games to release on PSN.

- What to make the PS3 more attractive when you lower the price (btw, lower the price)? Throw in PSN games! Either have the games installed on the HDD or on a BR disc. In fact, regularly publish "PSN Collections" for those who don't game online. A collection of 5 games, $19.99, BAM! Sell them in volumes. Make these things a big deal for fuck's sakes.

- See those fighting games stuck in Japan? Get those developers to port the games to PSN with online play worldwide! People love these things and want competition. Are they 2D and in 480p? So what? There's no fucking reason for you not to have Capcom onboard publishing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on PSN as well as the Wii. NONE! Well, unless Capcom hates money of course.

- Slimline PS3 w/ a headset in the box, a PSN collections vol. 1 and vouchers for BR movies.. Nuff said.

- Perhaps work on a game rental system over PSN. I have no idea how to do it, but if they can do it for movies, they can do it for games. Even if you have to make it online only (have to be online to play the games) Imagine. Renting games over PSN, the money helps Sony and the publishers/developers out. I would be all over this shit. You enjoy the game, there's an option in the menu that you click, and you're bought the game. DONE.

- Take a page from MS and standardize your shit. Trophies, chat, etc etc.

That's uh...all I got.

Nif said:
I don't know if they need "saving" per-se, but if I were Sony, I'd think of a way of making my own Wii. Put the PS3 guts into a box with a DVD drive (assuming it would lower the price considerably) and add a motion controller with some packed in software. They could make the new games and controller work with PS3.

A Wii with better graphics, I guess. :p

Patience, dear GAFfer. They'll deliver something like that next generation.

industrian

Kintaro said:
Take a page from MS and standard your shit. Trophies, chat, etc etc.

Thank fuck someone mentioned it. Trophies are becoming mandatory, but to be honest they should make a "You'll need to patch in Trophy support before your game becomes Greatest Hits/Platinum" standard as well.

But anything that removes the "we're gonna have to wait for a press release before voice chat is confirmed" bullshit is welcomed.

get a $200-per-PS3 subsidy from Jim Carrey as the Riddler in exchange for sucking out users' brain waves and putting them into his head.

devilhawk said:
Haha. Will we be saying this about Nintendo again in 2 or 3 generations? Big circle I tells ya.

The people who thought Nintendo would go third party back in the day weren't the type of people who understood how business works. Why would they give up a slice of the console-making market, however low that slice was compared to Sony's, when they were still making a profit and had a long history of success in said market? No company that savvy would give up in the face of such a solvable challenge.

Anyone saying the same thing about Sony today is equally ignorant. They have a strong brand name, but a weak product and even worse profit margins this time around. The potential is there to bounce back next generation, and they'll take the risk. Unless the PS4 and PS5 do worse than the PS3 with lower price and greater profit margins, the PlayStation brand will be fine. The good thing about their lack of success compared to the PS2 last generation is that they'll be under more pressure to deliver in the future, and hopefully, this will mean downward mobility on costs as well. That's great for the consumer.

Ploid 3.0

Night_Trekker said:
Patience, dear GAFfer. They'll deliver something like that next generation.

PS3 with updated cell, better gpu, more memory, very slim/small, and a solid state hdd, or bigger hdd. That's all I'll need. I'm not looking for a beast of a machine anymore. PS3's graphics are good enough.

I know I should not take this tread seriously, but what the heck!

Sony need to release the PS3slim next autumn at $299.

They need to pack in Little Big Planet and include the breakway controller they have been working on.

They need to have full PS2 software based backwards compatibility firmware update released in time for E3.

They need to start releasing PSOne downloads on the US PSN and announce PS2 downloads for the Autumn.

They need to reveal the new TeamIco game at E3 and announce hi-def revamps of Ico and Shadow of Colossus available on PSN at Trico's release.

They need to get an English language version of FFXIII out in Asia 6 months before the US release of FFXIII on the 360, so PS3 fanboys can gloat and make them eat crow for thinking they had parity on a third party exclusive.

Ploid 3.0 said:
PS3 with updated cell, better gpu, more memory, very slim/small, and a solid state hdd, or bigger hdd. That's all I'll need. I'm not looking for a beast of a machine anymore. PS3's graphics are good enough.
Well, PS3-level geometry and effects, but with standard 1080p/60fps/AF/AA would be an excellent baseline IMO. Still, GPU tech advances quickly enough that I think it'll be better than that. Blu-Ray drives will cost substantially less by the time the PS4 rolls around, and that was a HUGE part of what drove up PS3 costs.

industrian

badcrumble said:
Blu-Ray drives will cost substantially less by the time the PS4 rolls around, and that was a HUGE part of what drove up PS3 costs.

And Blu-ray drives will be faster as well, which is the most important thing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If that fantasy PS2 had a great upscaler or whatever I'd probably bite.
Still regret getting rid of my ps2 prematurely.

Ploid 3.0 said:

So Sony is going to stay the course with a traditional machine when the Wii continues to sell out regularly? I doubt it.

So, what your saying is, they need to package in more games for free, add in more awesome features, and drop the price of their system, which they are already selling at a huge loss?

Yeah, that'd probably help them out a lot.

Deku

Banned
I don't think hardware revisions and rebranding the PS2 will help at this point. They just gotta cut costs and get into a profitable position in time for the next hardware reset.

Link

The Autumn Wind
timetokill said:
1. Use huge stack of unsold PS3s to harness 4D power and go back in time
2. Invest in Nintendo
3. Profit!
Oh man, if only. 2003, here I come!

longdi

Banned
the most obvious thing is to drop the price.
the next obvious thing is to redo the marketing.
then i like to see them add back bc and use a more reliable bluray drive. i keep hearing of ps3 cannot read my games here. BLOD.

the ps3 is otherwise a fine gaming machine, sales also not bad for a console said is too expensive. the next upgrade will be a slim and lite ps3 with low power consumption.

Top Bottom